Saturday, January 22, 2022

Christmas Showdown Police Side Episode 2 Part 2 (Abridged)

Nomad (narrating): This is Utopia, the world of the future where corporations compete with one another and the world I was born in. There was a prison in the dark side of the world, and at the bottom of the jail where the sun doesn't reach, the jailer beat me again and again out of boredom. There was no one I could ask for help, so all I had were the imaginary friends I hallucinated. I was probably insane by then. I'd met with a terrible fate, betrayed by everyone and everything. My ship broke down, I drifted along, and I was close to death.
Nomad (narrating): I was later picked up by mad scientists who remodeled me into this disgusting tiger body. When I finally got away from them...I ended up in this underground prison with no one to save me. So I swore revenge on everyone that crossed me. I didn't need my old name or identity anymore, and I called myself Nomad from then on. I abandoned everything else and raced towards my revenge.
Nomad (narrating): It was great when I came to Tokyo, a place filled with people, news, and activity. Nobody asked about my past, and I started up a detective agency in Shinjuku. I did other jobs to make money to live on, and in doing so I built up social credit. All of it was for my revenge. I swear I'll get them all one day. The only thing I trust in is myself...

Present
Nomad: Okay sorry to change tacks so soon after sparring, but could you guys tell me if you know anything about the case?
Black Santa Students: (shrug)
MC: Nothing new huh? / This many people around and no one saw anything...?
---
(B) Nomad: You noticed too, huh?
---
Nomad: It's now been established that there's this many people who are good at fighting somehow saw nothing. Let's go you two!

School hallway
Yule: Oh hi MC, long time no see! I heard from Ded that you're part of a special defense force.
Tomte: Must be hard. If you need help, I'll take care of you whenever!
MC: Hi guys. Whatcha doin'?
Yule: We're getting ready for the sendoff ceremony. Dunno how the case is gonna go, but the children are waiting. We're prepping to go whenever.
Tomte: The Black Santas are also joining the police students as part of the defense force. With them and you guys, I'm sure this will be dealt with!
Nomad: Yeah, thanks. What do you guys do in prep?
Tomte: Stuff. Right now we're grabbing greeting cards from the storage building.
Hermes: huh.
Yule: Yeah the school orders some special paper and we think up of designs. We have plenty, so take one.
Nomad: Thanks. Wow this is nice. 

MC: Fancy. Hey haven't I felt something like this before?
Nomad: The top is all smooth. You guys uses special ink to write on it?
Yule: Yeah, this one ink from the workshop. Smells pretty strong, just passing the workshop earlier burned my nose.
Tomte: It smells?
Yule: You can't smell it??? Oh no wait, I have to go because of the time! Good luck guys!
Nomad: ...new clue guys! Come with me!

School workshop
Nomad: ...fascinating.
MC: Sherlock! I can smell it too. You get anything Hermes?
Hermes: Sorta. Hey Nomad, what do you think?
Nomad: I haven't figured out everything, but I'll tell you what I have got--(notices someone outside the door)
Tanngrisnir: ...oh, hey again everyone.
Hermes: You done with the workout already?
Tangrisnir: Yes, I'm on break now. The students are in the sauna Tomte set up. What are you guys doing?

MC: Investigating. Nomad was about to say something.
Hermes: Yeah that's where we were.
Tanngrisnir: You already know who done it!?
Nomad: Not THAT much. But I do have an idea of how much whoever sent the calling card knows about things.
Tanngrisnir: Interesting! May I hear your thoughts too?
Nomad: ...well okay. Let's start with the calling card. You guys have figured something about that now, right?
MC: Same paper as the greeting card / It's sold at AndvaResort / nope
(B) Nomad: No, stop joking!
(C) Nomad: ...it's the same paper used in the greeting card Tomte gave us.

Nomad: The card is made with a specific paper used in the Santa School, not something sold to the public.
Tanngrisnir: ...
Nomad: Next, this room. You two might not have noticed, but the paint on the calling card is the same as the paint in here.
MC: How can you tell? Same color? / I smell a unique scent
(C) Nomad: You can smell it? So you have a good nose for a human?

Nomad: Ever since my body became like this, my senses have become stronger than the average human. I can tell the scent from the calling card is the same as what's in here.
Hermes: Huh. So the card was made in here? That'd mean the culprit is someone inside the school.
Nomad: Yes, both points of evidence confirm that. This is an inside job. There's probably students here with better noses than me, so using this ink would throw off suspicion.
Hermes: I see. So "they" specifically made a card using this ink and stuff?
MC: But why? / To confound the investigation? / head empty

Nomad: The culprit did this to plant doubts about a collaborator and divide us.
Hermes: That'd make it easier for them to steal their target.
Nomad: Whoever made the card here probably threw it at the headmaster's office door. That means they can go in and out whenever they want, and that they're beneath suspicion even if they were seen. Which means...
MC: They're tough? This is getting tricky.
Nomad: ...well that's what I've gotten together so far.
MC: Awesome!
Nomad: Heh, impressed? How about you hire me more?
Tanngrisnir: Stunning, truly stunning that you figured all that out from one card!
Nomad: Thanks teach. By the way...who are you?

Tanngrisnir: Oh, did you forget my name? I introduced myself earlier outside at--
Nomad: I know that. I'm asking who YOU are. (grabs Tanngrisnir by the collar and pushes him against the wall)
Nomad: This must be some artifact power because I don't doubt you. I can tell I'm being forced to believe what you're saying somehow. You look exactly like the real guy, but that isn't enough to pull one on me. I trust no one besides me! (leans closer)
Nomad: You smell too nice for someone who ran so much, and you smell too clearly to have showered.
MC: His scent wasn't changed? / he doesn't smell like stew either / I wanna sniff too!
(B) Nomad: Oh, yeah that's true too. Anyways...
(C) Nomad: STOP CLOWNING! Anyways...

Nomad: Why did you come now to hear our reasoning? You were supposed to be kept in the dark so you wouldn't spoil anything. No wait don't answer, I'll just fall deeper into thinking you're Tanngrisnir. Your power is perfect for disguise and concealment, and that's how you used these things to make the calling card.
Tanngrisnir: ...
Nomad: Show us who you really are!
Tanngrisnir: ...hmm. You're better than I thought, Utopian cyborg Nomad. You abandoned your past and any trust in people not yourself, which is why my artifact didn't really work on you. Impressive. I was holding back to test you guys, but it's rare for anyone to pressure me even so.
Nomad: ...what do you know about me? And what do you mean by test!?
Tanngrisnir: If I'm to work with you, shouldn't I know how far your abilities go?

Tanngrisnir reveals himself to be adult Ose.
Ose: Hello, MC, Hermes, Nomad. Pardon my manners. Call me Odell, a humble bodyguard. I'm participating in this case too.
MC: Odell! / Right I saw you in Ded's office / (Did he look different last time I saw him?)
---
(A) Ose: I'm honored you remembered that name, heh.
---
Ose winks at MC.
Ose: So, you really are an ace detective to have figured out so much from the calling card. Though I say you may have overlooked something. Ded did say a collaborator made the card, remember?
Nomad:
Nomad: GODDAMMIT
MC: Oh! / what / (I love it when Nomad takes psychic damage)

Ose: Yes I made the card, but the actual thief is someone else.
Nomad: What kind of plot twist is this!? And who the hell are you!?
Ose: I just told you. I'm a bodyguard protecting the school and working with you guys.
Hermes: Pretend I'm saying this in blue: [that isn't the whole truth.] I know the tricks guys like you pull, Whatsyourface. You haven't lied, but you haven't told us everything either, huh?
Ose: ...
Hermes: If you were just an ally you wouldn't need to disguise yourself and test us. You could've just joined the investigation like a normal person. That means you've got a reason to do all that.
Ose: ...
Hermes: More fake blue text! You said you're helping us, but you didn't say you're [against the phantom thieves]! You've shown yourself to both sides, haven't you?
Nomad: What!?

Ose: ...heh. How insightful of you, Hermes. We really are cut from the same cloth.
Hermes: ...what?
Ose: The regulators of the world. Sometimes the clever of us are forced with the job role of making things consistent. Just like how you were stuck with the villainous dirty work back in Olympus. (smiles looking at Hermes's artifact)
Ose: You resigned yourself to being a double agent, con man, and liar to enemy camps facing each other, haven't you?
Hermes: ...what the hell do you know about me? Is that what you really look like?
Ose: Heh! This really does feel like I'm going up against myself. I'll say this then: the real self is an illusion. Am I a child or an adult? Is the past or the future the real thing? It's both. Both are real, and both are fake.
Hermes: ...so you aren't denying that you're visiting both sides of the case.
Ose: ...yes, I'm balancing this training drill as a double agent. By the way, is it okay to keep talking in here? It'd be better to go somewhere else before someone from the school finds us here. Why don't we reintroduce ourselves in the reception office?
End of Episode

1 comment:

  1. Nomad being invested into the case makes this reading that much more enjoyable. And seeing him being at the top of his game in terms of being a detective is so cool.

    ReplyDelete