Saturday, March 4, 2023

Live A Hero Virtual Fest Royale Episode 3 (Abridged)

??? (narrating): Dad was a strong hero.
Flashback!
reXer?: Cyber hero reXer is here! I can kick ass online and offline! Multiweapon change! Axe mode!
??? (narrating): Dad was a hero, online and offline. He did debugging work and made it look like a hero show to entertain people, and he fought villains and Monsters like it was debugging work.
reXer?: You like video games too, [REDACTED]? Keep at it! I'm cheering for you, son. Maybe you'll take up my torch one day. Kidding.
??? (narrating): When I also became a pro gamer and went to a tournament, he was my biggest cheerleader. I admired him and wanted to be like him. And then one day his joke stopped being a joke.
???: ...Dad? I've been working hard at the pro gamer thing even after you disappeared. I always place up in the top 8 or whatever and have getting famous...why'd you have to go? I wish you could've seen this.
??? (narrating): He was gone by the time my birthday came. But that was the day I got a message from him even though he was supposed to be gone.
???: A password? Isn't that...your avatar?

Title Card: Random Number Monstrosity

Present
Intermission time! The party is going to the port town where there's lots of NPCs and heroes there in a tavern. The party sits down to eat and talk.

Toshu: Delicious. It's like I'm eating genuine food.
Shaft: Weird how we can eat like this inside a game, but it feels real. How does it work...?
MC: Yeah, weird. Never seen these dishes but they're great.
reXer: You got into a capsule before getting into the game, yeah? They use light to stimulate the senses while the food and drink is them feeding nutrient jelly and drinks to us. Dunno the details since part of it is confidential Raidark tech.
Toshu: Magic, understood. Food is connected to energy though, so if it's delicious it's fine.
Shaft: Yes, thanks to space tech we can enjoy a meal together. Oh, this is a good time to learn more about each other!
Toshu: But we introduced ourselves already. What do we talk about? *(takes a drink)*
Shaft: Anything! ...oh I know. Why did everyone decide to participate? My agency recommended this of course, but it's been ages since I've done a team activity. Space taxi driving is mostly solo work.
MC: My agency recommended it too / Oh yeah, you're an ex-rugby player / oh yeah huh
(A) Shaft: Most agencies are doing this for publicity. And we get experience.
(B) Shaft: Yes, I've been doing team sports for so long that I miss it sometimes.
(C) Shaft: Right. Sometimes I miss when I was playing.

Shaft: So why are you here, Toshu?
Toshu: Same as you. Agency leaders sent us here last time too. I wasn't thrilled at first, but I was interested when I heard they were changing the setup. Sometimes struggling is necessary for wisdom.
MC: So this is like training? / Training every day is the basics, huh / How stoic
(A) Toshu: Indeed. The quickest way to being a samurai is studying the heart, strength, and technique of a martial artist.
(B) Toshu: Sort of.
(C) Toshu: I want to be a samurai, so training is obvious.

Shaft: What about you, Cerastium?
Cerastium: ...what is...my justice?
Shaft: Cerastium?
Cerastium: Huh? O-oh! Sorry, I was thinking about things.
MC: Ah.
Cerastium: This competition is like a festival for Orient City, right? That makes it UEHA Japan's jurisdiction so I couldn't join even if I wanted to. But now that I can join in while I'm in France, I joined thinking I could try out my justice.
reXer: ...oh, so it wasn't to win?
MC: What about you reXer? Winning?
reXer: M-me? Uhh...
reXer loudly clears his throat.

reXer: Winning of course. I'm a pro gamer, so I need to prove it sometimes. Why wouldn't I do my best to win?
Shaft: Oh, so that's why you made your suggestion.
reXer: ...right. I do this all the time, so me taking point should lead us to victory. Might as well since none of you are out to win exactly, right? Should be fine.
MC: I guess...? Winning isn't everything though.

Cerastium: That makes a certain kind of sense...
reXer: ...I'm not trying to start a fight. You can say what's on your mind.
Cerastium: We're a team, so we should support each other whether things are going for us or against us.
reXer: Will that guarantee us winning? Who's more used to this game world than me? Who can turn things around besides m--
Cerastium: I feel heroes need a reason to win even if they do. You fight rationally, but I don't see justice in it.
Shaft: Cerastium...? What are you...
reXer: Japan has the idea of "might makes right," doesn't it? Does that need to show justice?
Cerastium: Justice is respecting kindness and duty, saving people from Monster and the lawless, and correcting people who stray from the path. Saying things after you win isn't justice. At least, that's my belief.
reXer: ...but--
Cerastium: Yes, I'm repeating what Justice's justice is. So...I don't know, even though I came here to show what my justice is...
reXer: ...

Toshu: I don't think we got any closer.
Shaft: Yeah...
Awkward silence.

MC: Let's go look for it. Battles aren't just about fighting, you can find things in them too.
Cerastium and reXer: what
Shaft: I agree. That's the best path forward.
MC: Yeah! I have no proof but yeah!
Shaft: One for all! Let's try it!
Cerastium: !!
reXer: Hmm. I still want to win! Nothing else m--
Everyone's phones start pinging.

reXer: ...oh, time to go. I'll get the high score next time.
reXer runs off. Everyone follows after.

Later
The party goes to the port city wharf. Someone is coming.

???: bark bark!
Kouki: Sirius, stop that! Why are you--oh.
MC: Long time no see, Kouki! / Good boy! / Wow you dressed up
---
(A) Kouki: Yeah, same to you. My agency suggested I go, but I didn't think I'd see you here.
(B) Sirius: Bark bark!
Kouki: NOOO, get off them I'm not paying anybody's cleaning bills!
(C) Kouki: Hello I am an entertainer, thank you. I have to look my best whenever I go out.
---
Kouki: Wow, I never expected to go up against you--
???: Oh la la, is that you sweetcheeks? Did you come to see me?
Kouki: Oh no! The stench of sleaze is coming!
Alchiba: Well hello MC! Fancy seeing you again here.
MC: Alchiba! / Still a flirt I see / It's getting sexier in here!
(B) Alchiba: Heh. Everyone would do that when they see a charmer like you.
(C) Alchiba: Oh thanks. I keep myself looking sharp so I'll be good to see you whenever.

Alchiba: This must be fate. Hey wanna go on a date with me after this fi--
Kouki: Stop hitting on people right before we fight!
Alchiba: Man you are stuffy for a kid. Or maybe you just can't keep up since you're a kid?
Kouki: Screw you, the entertainment industry has been riding hard on my status as a kid!
???: What's all the noise? Have our next opponents arrived?
Rutilix: ...Master Sorcerer! Are you our next opponent!?
MC: Rutilix!? / huh, where's the king? / You AREN'T in armor!?
(A) Rutilix: Good to see you again after so long, Sorcerer. I never expected to reunite with you here. Space technology sure is magical...
(B) Rutilix: He is...somewhere. It was his idea for us to join. I do hope he is not causing problems okay.
(C) Rutilix: Yes, when we were brought to the capsules, His Highness told me to take it off. I haven't worn clothes like this since before becoming a knight. Do they look strange?

Kouki: What? MC, how do you know these people and what did you do to make them owe you?
Rutilix: RUDE! I've been telling you to show the utmost gratitude to MC!
Kouki: W-what's it to you!? Cultural imperialism!
Rutilix: How dare you take advantage of my showing kindness to you for being younger!
Alchiba: Ugh, the babies are fighting again.
Rutilix: Excuse you, I am a proper KNIGHT!
Alchiba: Yeah, sure, whatever. Anyways--
Red?: (stares)
Alchiba: It's great how this totally unsuspicious and unassuming guy is the strong silent type.
MC: Is that your fourth party member? ...nice to meet you?
Red?: ...MC of Parallel Flight, huh?
MC: w-what
Red?: Heh. (steps back)

Alchiba: Hey wait, at least introduce yourself like somebody on the up and up. Sorry baby, he's just like that.
Cerastium: Wow MC, you know almost all of the opposing party again...
reXer: We aren't here to make friends. Let's get suited and get ready to fight already.
Alchiba: So hasty. Welp! Operator!
Team Alchiba transforms!

MC: Us too then! Execute!
Team MC transforms!

Toshu: Hmm, an Aradician knight? How nostalgic. We may come from the same planet, but I will spare no quarter!
Shaft: ...sorry, can I make a suggestion before we begin?
reXer: Now? What is it?
Shaft: What if we try letting reXer do what he wants once?
MC: Huh. Let's try it!

Toshu: You what!?
Shaft: Please, Toshu. I don't plan on letting it happen every other time. We've been flustered from the start, so I want to try battling with reXer being the team center at least once!
Toshu: But...
Cerastium: I'm okay with that. He's been wanting to do so and been planning that from the start. So please, Toshu?
reXer: ...I'm in! I'll win it for us for sure this time!
Toshu: Fiiine, I see I'm outvoted.
Shaft: Thank you! Okay, MC can you strategize with the three of us in the back while reXer's up front?
MC: Time to give it a shot!
Everyone takes battle stances. Also...

Red?: (smirks at MC)
MC: w-wait what
System PA: 3...2...1...match start.
BATTLE START (more happens after)

Alchiba: OOF! Not bad, but I got a trick of my own!
Shaft: Rugby intuition intercept!
Alchiba: OOF, didn't see that coming! Still, you can't expect to win with th--
Shaft: reXer, now!
reXer: Right! Sword Mode, slash!
Alchiba: UGH, that was fast! I'm backing out, Operator!
reXer: One down!
Kouki: Hey, we're not going down that easy!
reXer: Oh no, an ambush!
Cerastium: Knight Defense!
Kouki: Where'd you come from!?
Cerastium: I have to be this fast to protect people! reXer!
reXer: ...right! Gamer Swing!
Kouki: OW! Dammit, if only you didn't get in the way...

Rutilix: What are you two doing!? Face me, foes!
Toshu: No, you shall face ME!
Rutilix: (gasps) You stopped me!? How!?
Toshu: Same home planet. I know those moves. reXer!
Rutilix: OH NO
reXer: Multiweapon, change! Axe Mode!
Rutilix: !? I still have enough room to get away!
reXer: ...! I misjudged the distance!
Rutilix: My turn! Saber Stab!
reXer: OOF! Dammit...
Toshu: (I knew it. He's unfamiliar with that weapon.)
reXer: One more time!
Rutilix: AGH! Not bad!
MC: Wow, this is actually working out better than expected!

Rutilix: I'M DOWN
reXer: One left! Just gotta keep up the pace and...!
Red?: ...
reXer charges at the last hero team member! Red? makes no attempt to move away.

Red?: ...hmph.
reXer: What, I missed!? He didn't even move!
Red?: Wow, your aim's that bad?
Red? is now behind reXer!

reXer: Wait, is he teleporting!? HAX!
Red? warps in front of reXer.

Red?: Weak.
reXer: OOF
MC: What just happened!?

Cerastium: I can't believe they still had power like that hidden!
Shaft: Wait, something's wrong!
reXer: Dammit, I shouldn't be taking damage like a bitch like that!
Red?: Reeeally? Yeah, a hero like you shouldn't be chumping out with just a little stat hacking.
reXer: WHAT
Sudden forest stage change!

MC: WHAT
Toshu: Wait, we were just at a wharf!
Shaft: The rest of the opposing team is gone too!
Red?: What, that's it? I warped us so I'm the only one against y'all.
Toshu: I will cut your attitude down to size!
Shaft: No wait, it could be a trap!
Toshu: !? I'm in quicksand now!
Red?: Just like my research said! You can't move right in watery places!
Toshu: What!? !!
Toshu barely grazes Red?'s attacks but...

Toshu: I'm stuck!
Red?: Pfft, loser.
Toshu: OOF
MC: Toshu!

Toshu is gonna get Falcon Punched!
Cerastium: Toshu! ...I'll stop you!
Cerastium tries to block for Toshu!

Cerastium: Ow, that's so strong!
Toshu and Cerastium both get knocked into the water.

Red?: That's it?
reXer: There's still me! Gamer Swing! (attempts to backslash Red?)
reXer: Dammit, he disappeared again!
Red?: Ooh, close one. You fight dirty for a hero.
reXer: How is he doing that!?
Shaft: reXer, I'll stall for you! Get some distance and--
Red?: Ugh. Fine, you first!
Red? doesn't swing very hard at Shaft but still somehow slams him into the water.

reXer: How can he be so strong!?
Red? uses Glare on reXer!

reXer: ...!? I've been paralyzed!
MC: reXer, what's wrong!? How's he binding you!?

reXer: What's going on!?
Red?: Loser!
reXer: OOF
reXer gets Mega Kicked!

Red?: One more!
Red? lied. Lots more actually as reXer's weapon drops to the ground.

Cerastium: reXer! (charges in)
Red?: !?
Red? angrily deflects Cerastium.

Shaft: Rugby Slam!
Red?: OOF! Well screw you too for--
Red? realizes he's been bounced towards Toshu.

Toshu: If you're coming this way, it would be remiss of me to drop the ball even if I can't move.
Toshu quickslashes!
Red?: ...
Toshu: I know not what sorcery you are using, but I will not stand for any more needless brutality!
Cerastium: Injustice!
The party has regrouped with everyone covering reXer.

reXer: Y-you...guys...
Shaft: Don't let your guards down, everyone!
Red? stands down surprisingly. Still looks pissy.

Red?: I don't get this at all. Every other MVP I took out had the team fall apart. Some people even begged for mercy. Did I jack the wrong guy? ...no wait, it's you guys not me. What makes you all different from the others?

MC: what?
Red?: ...whatever. I gotta get back before this dude's teammates notice and start yelling and screaming. Plus I can only fudge the clock so far and can't tire myself out too much. This has to be perfect.
Red? raises his hand, and the party readies to fight. But...

Red?: Next time, I'll put you guys in your place and show you who really is better.
Red? disappears as the area reverts back to the wharf!

PA System: Game set. Team Blue wins, calculating points.
Oh yeah, Team MC lost.

Kouki: W-wait, we won? After that ass kicking?
Rutilix: Somehow...what just happened?
Alchiba: And where's what's-his-face?

Cerastium: ...hey, time apparently stopped when we were at that other place. (checks phone clock)
Shaft: Really? And the other team doesn't seem to know what happened. That guy is gone too. Who was he?
Toshu: >:|
reXer: I-I...lost... :(
MC: You okay?
MC holds their hand out to reXer.

reXer: Oh, MC...
After a bit of hesitation, reXer takes their hand.

End of Episode

No comments:

Post a Comment