Saturday, March 18, 2023

Live A Hero Virtual Fest Royale Episode 5 (Abridged)

Toshu (narrating): How long has it been?
Flashback!

Toshu: Oof!
???: You hesitate. Do you feel terror being in front of what you fear?
Toshu: N-no! I...!
Toshu (narrating): It's cold, I'm wet, and it's been years since I became obsessed with being a samurai. I went on a journey to find out what being a samurai meant. Sparring under a waterfall and training my mind were linked.
Toshu: Urgh...
Toshu (narrating): But all that trying didn't make my instinctual fears stay down any better.
???: You fear getting your feet submerged that much? It's shocking how much slower you are in the water.
Toshu: ...!
Toshu (narrating): I'm afraid of water. I've tried to get over it, but it hasn't worked. It's still my biggest fear to this day.

Title Card: What I Saw at the Bottom of the Water

It's intermission time again!
PA System: The rankings are--
Everyone in town is watching the news. It's the mid stage of the competition and rankings are being read out.
MC: So we're in the middle of the pack. We can make a comeback, but I bet reXer's worried.
Cerastium: Uh, what are these X-ed out teams?
Shaft: They've been eliminated because more than half the team was taken out.
Cerastium: What? But we haven't even hit the midpoint number of matches yet. Doesn't that seem strange, even with things being different this year?
reXer: ...it must be him. Now that I think about it, something's up with his strength. It's not like his field change trick and warping us with him was a big hint or anything, like his OP attack and defense. Seriously, I never heard of any hero with warp powers before.
MC: Is he cheating? / Hacking? / I don't follow
(C) reXer: He must have some code hacking ability.

reXer: I've got pro gamer intuition from all my time doing this...though it could just be salt. I doubt there could be an OP hero just popping up here for the first time.
Flashback

Toshu: Oh no, I'm in water!
Red?: I looked you up earlier!
Toshu: What!?
Red?: Loser!
Present

Toshu: ...even if he is cheating, he still hit our weak points. I need to be able to fight on that terrain, even if it's only in here. (thinks and looks at the party)
MC: Toshu? Something wrong?
reXer: ...what?
Toshu: ...you're most qualified. reXer.
reXer: What? Why are you staring at me?
Toshu: There's still time before the next round, so...I want you to come with me for a moment.
reXer: ...what?
Toshu: MC too...please.
MC: What's going on...?

Later
Toshu brings MC and reXer to some quiet inlet. Water quickly reaches their feet on the sand.

Toshu: This works. (closes map screen)
reXer: Really, why are we here?
Toshu: ...I want you to help me train.
reXer: What? Us?
Toshu: It can't be that surprising.
reXer: Maybe...? You seem strong enough to not need training.
Toshu: Of course I do. The way of the sword is limitless.
reXer: oh.
Toshu: And now I've realized my weakness can drag the team down.
MC: So you DO have your shortcomings / Figured
Toshu: ...I won't belabor the point. MC, transform us.
MC does so.

reXer: Just so you know I don't hold back much.
Toshu: Fine. Come at me!
Toshu rushes reXer with his sword!

reXer: !!
reXer parries for a blade clash!

Shaft: We finally caught up! You guys are fast.
Cerastium: Wait, why are they fighting?
MC: Toshu said this was training.
Shaft: Why?
Anime sword fight on the beach! And then water splashes Toshu.

Toshu: !?
Toshu slows down. reXer takes advantage of the opening!

reXer: You slowed down, old man!

Toshu still manages to graze the attack!
reXer: ...you're shaking in the middle of training?
Toshu: ...no, I shook a lot against that man earlier too. I fear for my footing, and that leaves me open.
reXer: (thinks) Oh right, we got taken to a swamp. Are you afraid of water...?
Toshu: !!
Back to anime sparring! Toshu gets wet again.

Toshu: ...!
Toshu's legs go soft for a second before bracing again as he shakes his head.

reXer: H-hey wait! I know how it feels to be scared! Everyone has--
Toshu: NO
reXer: !?

Toshu: I may fear water, but I cannot let it stand anymore, especially in a virtual port town with water everywhere! I must avenge my humiliation to get over the shame! And most of all...I must apologize to you.
reXer: What...?
Toshu: YOU'RE OPEN!
Toshu swings. reXer manages to block.

Toshu: My weakness was displayed earlier. I must train my mind and skills, revisit all I know so I am able to fight near water.
reXer: Wouldn't that just be a quick and dirty stopgap?
Toshu: Even that would be fine! I need to get better, no matter how little that is!

The rest of the party is watching the fight.
Shaft: ...I guess that last fight really upset the both of them.
Cerastium: That man was clearly doing something strange. He was overwhelmingly strong, but Toshu still means to face him...that must be his justice...
Shaft: ...it doesn't matter if we're up against a coward. Toshu's the kind of person who can't let himself stay as is when his weakness is discovered.
MC: I wanna be like that / Giving up means the end / He's kind of a slow starter, huh?
(AB) Cerastium: Yes...I should try to be like that too.
(C) Shaft: Yes. He's a regular person like the rest of us.

Toshu: UGH! I must calm down and stop swinging like a fool! I must conquer my fear of water! And to do that I must first calm down and--
reXer: GOT YOU
Toshu: OH NO
Toshu gets launched into the water!

MC: Oh no we have to save him!
reXer: Goddammit! I'll go!
Meanwhile, Toshu is underwater and calm. Maybe he looped so hard through fear and came back to this point.

Toshu: Was water always this calm? With no sounds around, it's much more serene. What a new sensation. If I can keep calm and stop getting distracted by sounds and sensations...
Toshu closes his eyes and stays still as he hones his senses. He gets more aware of things than he ever has. And then he senses someone approaching from the surface.

Toshu: ...huh?
reXer: He's down here? It's deep! I'm going to have to drop my things to--
reXer is looking at a screen of Toshu as he's about to jump in when...

Toshu: YAAAH! (slashes at reXer)
reXer: WHOA (gets knocked into the water)

Toshu: ...this is it. This feeling. I just saw a glimpse at what I lacked. It was all in me. I can still progress...
MC: Toshu! Omg reXer! ...wait what
Phone alert!

Phone: New Path discovered. Subject: Toshu. Connectivity: Very High
MC: Oh!
reXer: (gets back up) Ugh, you could swim?
Toshu: ...no, I cannot. But while I was in the water, I could see what I could do. I followed my instincts...and it brought me to you. Training really is good, thank you reXer.
reXer: (stares in shock)
Toshu has accepted his imperfections and strives to pursue perfection.

reXer: ...I wonder if Dad also trained in secret to be a perfect hero.
Toshu: reXer, get up. Will you spar with me some more!?
reXer: ...ugh. I know I don't have room to talk, but damn you have no consideration for anyone, swinging like crazy!
Toshu: O-oh...sorry. I wasn't thinking through what I was doing. Can you stand?
reXer: ...heh. We'll just call this payback from when I hit you in our first match, okay?
Toshu: V-very well. I wasn't that bothered by it...
reXer: Now that that's done, let's do it!
reXer stands back up, weapon ready. Toshu gets ready too. MC's phone shines with a new light.

MC: I think it'll work. Execute!
(click)

reXer: WHAT
Toshu: W-what's going on?
Cerastium: What's happening!?
Shaft: Toshu! That look!

Later
Tournament's back on again! The party is sent to a beach site for their next match.

Toshu: ...
The other team is already there. One's a familiar face.

Flamier: Oh my. MC, Toshu!
MC: Ms. Flamier! / Wow nice dress / Cute!
---
(B) Flamier: Tee hee, I came in casual clothes since I'm off today. Should I have dressed up more? Not that it matters when I transform.
(C) Flamier: Thank you. Maybe I should I come in something less casual?
---
Mafia: You know them, milady?
Wolf: Not that we're holding back if you do!
Merc: Miss, please don't stand too much up front this time! We'll protect you!
Flamier: Oh my, like I've said you don't need to worry so much about me. I'm a hero too. And I have bombs usable near water.
Mafia: No! We've seen how strong you are already!
Wolf: We can't let you get hurt, even if this is a game!
Merc: Yeah!

MC: Are they her bodyguards or something / damn
Toshu: ...huh. Flamier we may normally be allies, but I will not be holding back here.
Flamier: Yes, of course. I'll be doing my best as well.
Wolf: Let's go, lady! Get the transformations on!
Team Flamier transforms!

reXer: We should too. MC.
MC: Right! Execute!
reXer, Shaft, and Cerastium suit up!

Toshu: MC, can you turn me into that form from earlier?
MC: ...it's up! Let's go!
Flamier: Huh? Toshu?
Ta-da! Variant Toshu is a go!

Toshu: Hmm, still feels odd. But it helps me focus.
MC: Success! / Damn, that's good... / Hot...
(BC) Toshu: S-silence! This isn't meant to be a show for you! It's mobility-friendly, but your staring feels awkward!

Flamier: Toshu, that form...
Toshu: ...I have also reconsidered myself and found a new fighting style. That is all.
Flamier: ...I see. I'll be sure to watch how you go with it. Please go easy on me.
Toshu: Heh. Thank you for sparring with me.
Cerastium: I've never seen a hero change suits before...
Shaft: This would be my second. Sometimes I hear heroes fighting while MC around get new forms, so Toshu might be the same deal.
Cerastium: MC? Wow, Observers are so mysterious.
reXer: ...a new fighting style? I didn't know heroes could change appearances...
Toshu: Focus, reXer.
reXer: Yeah, I know. Let's win this, Toshu.
Toshu: ...heh. Let's.
PA System: 3...2...1...match start.
BATTLE START (more happens after)

Flamier: Well done, Toshu. I've already seen how devoted you are to training...but it feels like you've cleared a big wall. There's clearly been a big change within you.
Toshu: ...I saw a glimpse of something in myself I couldn't see alone thanks to my comrades. My outer form may differ greatly, but within it is only beginning to bud...I will tend to it with care.
Flamier: ...good luck. I look forward to seeing you change as a friend and coworker. Good day to you all.
Team Flamier leaves. Toshu stares at the sea.

Toshu: ...
reXer: Toshu? I--
Toshu: ...reXer, let me thank you again. I never thought I could gain a new form from all this, but that and the ability to face my fears has all been thanks to you. I would have been stuck in place otherwise.

reXer: ...so you aren't perfect either.
Toshu: Of course not. It's why I train.
reXer: I thought you were some perfectionist from all that nagging you did.
Toshu: ...hmph. Are you saying I had no room to speak?
reXer: Not really. But...
Toshu: (narrows eyes) ...you are similar to how I used to be, which is why you irked me.
reXer: ...what?
Toshu: (nods) I trained believing being strong was enough, that it was justice...but that is wrong. People who use strength need reason and truth.
reXer: what?
Toshu: Things such as who you use your strength for, whether you are deluding yourself, and whether you are becoming complacent. My burdening everyone in these fights led me to reexamine myself and my righteousness. I tried to not be stubborn...but at some point I strayed from my own justice.
Cerastium: !!

Toshu: What broke me out of my stubbornness was your rashness, and ironically that strange man's beatdown of me...I need to be better.
reXer: ...I'm sorry I called you a nag.
Toshu smiles and snorts as he looks back at the ocean.

Shaft: ...it looks like they've come to an understanding.
MC: Yeah, surprising.
Cerastium: ...
Cerastium thinks about what Toshu said and looks at him and reXer.

Toshu and reXer: (stares at sea)
End of Episode

 

No comments:

Post a Comment