Sunday, March 12, 2023

Live A Hero Virtual Fest Royale Episode 4 (Abridged)

??? (narrating): When Dad got retgone I went looking for proof he existed. I couldn't find much of ANYTHING until I came across his trophies.
???: Why can't anyone remember him?
??? (narrating): I thought I was going crazy, like maybe my dad wasn't my dad. But then I remember hearing the only people who remember people no one else can were heroes or Observers. If I were a hero, then things would be fine. Except I never transformed before. If I were an Observer...my life would be over, so I couldn't ask anyone about my dad. I had to suffer alone.
???: ...
??? (narrating): And then on my birthday I got a message from my father that lead to a login screen.
???: ...how'd I get in? I couldn't find the password anywhere.

??? (narrating): The login was for a game database in development. And there was also his avatar and weapon.
???: Why'd Dad leave me his password?
??? (narrating): I touched the avatar and the giant ass weapon bigger than I was. A message popped up in front of it saying "Happy Birthday."
???: Dad...oh right, I can use this...
??? (narrating): I can be Dad and make the world think he's come back. Then it won't be only me who remembers him! I tuned the avatar so I could use it easier and signed up for a bunch of game events to make his comeback news. And then the game in development finished up and became the game the O-1 Hero Grand Prix started up.
???: A participation request for "reXer"? Oh, so heroes and Observers remember him...
??? (narrating): There won't be a better chance for reXer's comeback. I want the whole world to remember him, his dashing looks, and his great accomplishments. Didn't take long for me to get in after deciding that reXer would be there.

Title Card: reXer's Identity

Present
reXer: ...
Cerastium throws healing potions at reXer.

MC: It's just like magic! Do we need a doctor?
Cerastium: Wow, that fixed up most of the damage. Even his fur is back to normal. If we were in reality we'd have to go to a hospital.
reXer: If I lost all my HP, I'd get kicked out of the game...and the whole competition.
Toshu: What would happen to the teams of the people kicked out like that?
Shaft: The manual says the team keeps going unless we lose more than half the team.
reXer: Yeah. So why'd you save me? I'm a loose cannon, so wouldn't it have been easier for you guys to let me die out of the game?
Toshu: What?
reXer: I'm not THAT stupid. I know how to work in a team...but I kept doing what I did trying to win.
reXer looks calm, but his hands are shaking a little.
reXer: I wanna apologize for what I did! But...please don't abandon me.
reXer is shaking all over.
MC: It's okay, we won't. Right guys?

The party agrees.
reXer: Guys? Really...?
Cerastium: ...we're a team. We won't just ditch you. (puts away healing potion)
Cerastium: You're strong enough to dominate the battles without us, but the other guy this time was stronger. That's all. You weren't eliminated, so there's no need to be so down.
reXer: (stares in gamer)
Cerastium: Okay so maybe the way you work probably isn't going to gel with the party that well. So tell us about your feelings and desires. Actually tell us all about you!
reXer: Me?
Cerastium: Yes. We're a team after all, so we need to know about each other. I moved to know you better, help you achieve your goals.
reXer: what...?
Cerastium: My weapon's a shield, a weapon I gave myself to protect people for the sake of justice. Protecting people so we can win and move forward is my job. Back then when I realized was I was doing, I was already running in to save you. If you're so focused on winning, I feel that might have been your brand of justice. (stares at hand)
reXer: Cerastium...
Cerastium: We're friends now, aren't we?
MC: Is that what justice is to you?

Cerastium: ...I don't know. I just know it's what I want to do.
Shaft: Ceras...is there some reason you care so much about your shield and justice?
Cerastium: (cocks head) ...I guess I should explain myself first if I want to ask about others. Will you all listen? Especially you MC, since you're close to Justice?
MC: Okay!
Cerastium: ...I used to have a friend that I thought was way stronger than me. But then she got eaten by a Monster in front of me.
reXer: !!
Cerastium: She was stronger and more experienced...and she had even stronger beliefs. I admired everything about her and tried to be like her, but I wasn't able to do anything when a Monster was in front of me. I thought it was all over, but then someone saved me. It was Justice...though I'm not surprised he doesn't seem to remember me. I was saved...but I was frustrated by my inability to do anything. It's why I hold my shield now. To protect people.
MC: Oh...isn't that your justice then?

Cerastium: *!?* ...oh, it might be. Those thoughts became a foundation for me at some point, but I still feel like my justice is elsewhere. I can't explain it well though. *(smiles after looking at MC and reXer)*
Cerastium: ...still, I think I saw a bit of it. Maybe it's here. And you're the one who showed me that, reXer. Thank you. And MC, thank you for shining a light on my hopes and pushing me forward.
MC: I didn't do much / I'm a famous Operator! / I just thought you wanted to do that
reXer: ...
Toshu: Hmph. What help is this rash fool?
MC: WOW RUDE

Toshu: I am not rejecting him or the like. I was like that too once when I was younger. Chasing your dreams so hard means you have room to mature, which I like. I can't say how long it will take him though.
Shaft: As an athlete, I think focusing entirely on winning is the right idea. Being reckless and getting experience is how you grow. And it's how I learned too.
reXer: (looks at everyone's faces, then looks down) ...guys, I...
Toshu: reXer. Your body and weapon aren't really yours, are they?
reXer: !!
MC: what?
Toshu: A hero's weapon comes from the future they wish for, so you automatically know how to use it. I could see that wasn't the case for you though.
Flashback!
reXer: Oh no it didn't work!
Toshu: (Hmm...)

Present
Toshu: You seem unable to use your weapon with skill. From what Shaft said, reXer doesn't sound like a new hero.
reXer: ...
Toshu: The bodies we see here are copies, not our real bodies. Which means a stranger could join in pretending to be the hero reXer--
reXer: I'm not some stranger.
reXer looks angry in a way he hasn't shown before.

reXer: This avatar is...my dad's.
Party reaction shot!

NC: what?

reXer: ...I didn't expect it to come out like this. (looks serious like he's given in)
reXer: This avatar is something I borrowed from my dad, who was the hero reXer. He's gone now, and I borrowed this to join the event. I'm...just a gamer.
Toshu: You're not a hero? Why are you here then?
reXer: ...because it's a game. A game is the only place I can be a hero. I'm just borrowing Dad's avatar and controlling his body. (shrugs)
reXer: The agency knows who I really am. I'm contracted with them as a mascot and pro gamer instead of a hero.
MC: what?
reXer: PR stuff. I only go to gaming events but never to anything offline. I don't have any experience fighting out there.
Cerastium: B-but you insisted so hard on being on the front here!
reXer: Because I'm a pro gamer. If I can't win, how can I work? If I know the controls, I can just practice but... (looks away) maybe challenging real heroes is too much. I never thought anyone would kick my ass so hard.

Quick popup flashback of Red?
reXer: Maybe experience makes that much of a difference?
Toshu: ...not always. I'm still training so I can move the way I see myself doing in my mind, so here you are doing better than I am in my view.
reXer: ...maybe only a little more? But getting my ass handed to me like that's made me a little nervous. Like you guys are moving in on my best skills. (looks up)
reXer: Offline, no matter how hard I try I can't be like Dad. When I borrow his avatar, I do want to win at everything though. I wanted to be great at things, just like he did...but reality's harsh. Dad's weapon just doesn't work right for me even with my little tricks.
Flashback!
reXer: AX ATTACK!
Rutilix: Oh no! But I can dodge this!
reXer: Oh no I misread the distance!

Present
Toshu: Oh that makes sense.
reXer: (scratches head) Why won't it work!? Why am I not a real hero!? If I can't do anything right in a game, what do I even have!?
Sympathetic party reaction shot!

MC: reXer... / don't say you have nothing / ...
Shaft: ...I don't think that's true. Not at all! (loudly stands up)
reXer: Shaft...?

Shaft: ...sorry for yelling. But you're the way you are now because of what you had and developed in the past, right? Even if you're behind everyone else and far away from your goal, what you had wasn't nothing.
reXer: ...maybe.
Shaft: ...I quit being a hero once. Retiring as a rugby player and becoming a space taxi driver is good, but I wasn't very good at it and couldn't transfer any skills over...I kept thinking "what was I doing?"
Shaft: (looks at MC) And then I met MC.
MC: what? / oh right that time
Shaft: I happened to get pulled into a car chase with a criminal at the time. I thought it was a huge disaster at first honestly, but everyone I met then taught me that I still had what I developed before I changed jobs. At some point, my rugby, hero, and space taxi driver experiences all came together before I knew it.
Space Taxi Chasers flashback!

Shaft: I can see where to go!
Alchiba: What!? There's like 8 space trucks here!
Later in Space Taxi Chasers flashback

Kalaski: We're surrounded!
Mokdai: That space truck is U-turning right at us!
Shaft: Rugby experience is here to save the day!

Present
Shaft: I was able to help because there was a time I wasn't a hero. It felt great making it happen, and I wanted to do more that I was able to do. Then I made my comeback as a hero.
reXer: Shaft...
Shaft: When I stopped being a hero, I kept training my rugby intuition and driving skills. It all came together that incident into something only I could do. It was MC and everyone else who taught me that, and I keep them dear in my heart. (smiles)
Shaft: That's how I came back as a hero and stay as one. Maybe that's my justice.
MC: Shaft...!
Cerastium: *(gasp)*
Shaft: I think you must have something too, reXer. So don't give up and think you have nothing.
reXer: Oh...

Toshu: ...did you see how Shaft moved in that battle? He used his obstacle and enemy detection abilities to eliminate them even before you started moving on your own. Same for Cerastium's defense and MC's commands. All of it centered on you.
reXer: Oh...
Toshu: You moved surprisingly well even when footing was terrible and when you were surrounded. If you can work with us, you can discover its true worth. And considering that last battle, maybe your skills were used in a way you didn't realize? You charging in alone meant the rest of us didn't get so...thoroughly crushed.
MC: I'm sure there's something only you can do, reXer.
reXer: Those were...Dad's tactics. He'd always be up front to tank attacks. That wasn't my plan...but maybe that's something I developed. (stares at hand)
reXer: I still haven't found Dad's reXer, but maybe... if it's in me and I connected it to those results...maybe that's fine.
reXer slightly smiles his own smile.

Cerastium: A justice possible because of who you are, huh...?
End of Episode

No comments:

Post a Comment