Friday, June 16, 2023

Live A Hero Chocolate Festa Memories Episode 3 (Abridged)

Anna: OMG Pro-Pro that was SO COOL!
Procy: You're not half bad either! Oh right, advertising. Hey everybody, we got the mind reading chocolate making machine on demo! Come on by and try it out!
Student Host: Thank you for coming heroes! Anna, you were great too! Good luck with your fest club work!
Lots of applause!

Procy: ...well that went well!
MC: You did great too, Phein!
Phein quits out of his suit and turns around.

Phein: Yeah...sorry MC, I want to get on with patrolling. If you want to talk to Procyon...Procy some more, I'll just go on ahead.

Procy: You're just gonna cut out like that?
Phein: You aren't here as a guard, so shut up and go back to your stupid sales work, Procyon. I'll call if Monsters show up and I need to transform.
Anna: Oh! I'll go with Phinny then since things seem fine for now. I promise to call if anything happens. That okay with you two?
MC: ...okay, let's split up then. Procy, can I have a moment?
Anna and Phein head off.

Procy: (sighs) ...I know, you wanna ask me something. Hit me.
MC: Did something happen between you and Phein?
Procy: I guess...what's it to you?
MC: Seems like it'd be dangerous to leave him as is / I want to know since I might need it to support him / I'll ask him the more important parts later
Procy: For work, huh? Heh, I bet that's not all. Well, okay. It's a long story, so how about we walk and talk? So way back when...

Flashback!
This happened like ten years ago or something. Procyon was born on the developing planet Maseriomaose III and spent his early years in the slums.

Procy: Bleh, there's so few mines and construction places to work at. And ow, the cold makes my hands hurt more. Stupid wind...should I burn some firewood? Nah, there's stuff tomorrow, so I'll just go to bed.
Work was hard, but there was l i t t l e m o n e y. Life didn't really get better, and there was only one thing to look forward to.

Punk: Damn Procyon, you first here again? If you're bored, wanna fight?
Procy: Bitch, I kicked your ass the other day. And I'm studying here so I can get rich and blow this joint!
There's a simple hut in slum town made to be an open air classroom for children. Procyon always goes whenever there isn't any work that day.

Punk: No wonder you're the Chief. Then again, it doesn't look like your studies are getting anywhere.
Procy: Because you assholes won't stop starting shit that I have to stop. Now park your butt down already because this isn't making me any money, unless I need to throw hands here.

Punks cause problems at the slum town classroom like all the time, and Procyon kicked ass enough that they all acknowledged his authority. There was also one other guy besides Procy that people relied on.
Procy: Muliphein, where were you? The teachers left already.
Phein: ...oh, Procyon. I just came to clear my head.
Procy: Did something happen?
Phein: (shakes head) Nothing. Can I ask you something? Why study when you could use your strength for work? Like, rescuing people from buried rubble. They call you the Vanguard Cutting Chief, you should be drowning in job offers.
Procy: (closes book) Well, I'm not studying because I like it...I do it because I have to. Time is money, and I need this to get rich. (taps head) I need an education to get rich. Kicking everyone's asses just makes it easier, and that's the only reason I got strong.
Procy sits by Phein.

Procy: People call me a friend or chief, but I don't really care. You've helped me be free to do things, so thanks a lot Muliphein.
Phein: ...oh. So, you have a dream...
Procy: What, you got a problem or something? 'Cuz I--
Phein: ...sorry, I'm going home. I don't think I have time to come here anymore.
Procy: ...Muliphein?
Procy watches Phein leave. Dark clouds gather beyond.

Some day later
Procy: ...okay, I'm good to go. Guess I should at least talk to everyone before I leave the slums for good.
Still cold out. What little Procy has is packed up, and he leaves the run down cabin he lived in and probably won't ever go back to.

Punk: What, you leaving Procyon? Where ya goin'?
Procy: On a money making journey, doing better things than busting my ass here. Dunno if I'll ever come back, so take care. Hey, Muliphein!
Procy sees someone he hasn't seen in a while.

Phein: ...what?
Phein sounds strained.

Procy: Right, I never told you before, but I got enough for a one-way space ticket outta here. Probably won't be back in a long time, so I wanted to thank you first...also, you okay? I haven't seen you since then.

Phein: ...leave me alone.
Phein's eyes look dead.

Procy: What? What's been going on, man? You look like hell. Come on, you can talk to m--
Procy reaches out to Phein.
???: Nooo, don't go yet Big Boss!
Some kid comes running out.

Procy: Besse or whatever your name is? Damn, I didn't think you'd come to see me off too. Did someone else tell you?
Besse: Yeah...I'll be sad when you're gone, so I wanted to thank you first.
This kid is so bright eyed.

Besse: You saved my life when the mine I was in collapsed! You were so cool punching out those rocks and yelling ora ora ora!
Procy: ...heh, thanks. You're saving your own neck if you get stuck in a mine again.
Besse: ...okay. Oh! I had something I wanted to give you!

Besse gives Procy a ratty scarf.
Besse: It's not much. Maybe it can help as a wrap if you hurt your hand? Take it!
Procy stares at the scarf and knows how much it's worth to a slum kid.

Procy: ...heh, that's not even worth a dime. So keep it for yourself. I'm not that weak.
Besse: B-but...
Procy: We burn things we've used up to scraps as the last use we can get of things. I'm off to make myself money. If you get any money, use it for yourself.
Phein: ...
Procy: Besides, I'd never be able to pay you back if I took it because I'm out of here.
Besse: B-but I...! I'm paying you back, I don't want you to do something for me.
Procy: Heh, you sound like a grown-up. Give and take's all well and good, but there has to be a return. You gotta focus on yourself if you wanna survive in here. You'll know what true worth is soon enough, so keep the scarf.

Phein: ...you're so self-centered, Procyon.
Phein looks upset and is staring daggers at Procy.

Phein: There's still so many weaklings to protect here, and you're going off to chase your dreams. Some chief you are. You never were!
Procy: Muliphein...
Yeah Procy probably IS self-centered with a dream he can't put down, but he's set on it. But right now he cares more about how off Phein is.

Procy: ...stop, you're clearly unstable for some reason. If you don't like how I am, then you should protect them your own way...I'll be gone anyways. The guys should trust you at least.
Procy looks at Besse. Besse looks confused and concerned.

Procy: If I'm not chief, then that works for me. If that's all you've got to say, you can show it through your own actions, Muliphein.
Phein: HOW DARE...
Phein doesn't have the words to say more than that.

Procy: ...later, partner. Stay safe, yeah?
Procy leaves.

Phein: ...
A cold wind blows after Procy.

Title Card: A Scarf for the Chief's Journey

Present
Procy: ...and that's all I know. (sighs)
MC: ...oh. You two knew each other way back.
Procy: Yeah. It was sudden seeing him again and all, but he still looks upset about it...I've never called him since, and I don't know if I can say anything to him now.
Procy looks around. Students are having fun.

MC: I wonder what happened? He probably doesn't want to talk about it, but it's probably related to what's happening with his suit.
Procy: Neither of us awakened as heroes back then yet, so I don't know much. But way back, he was always quiet, but everyone liked him. Last I saw him he seemed to want to say something, but I missed the chance to ask.
Procy stops to stretch and walk again.

Procy: I feel like the wrong person to talk to about Phein's past...but it's not like I know that much. But if thing stay awkward, your work might suffer. You can pretend you never asked, but yeah that's our relationship.
MC: I was worried from before. Thanks for telling me, Procy.

Procy snorts. MC takes a drink of chocolate before continuing on.
MC: They called you a chief? They really must've respected you.
Procy: Probably not in the way you're thinking of. I just pushed hard to get strong because they'll disrespect you if you're weak.
MC: Oh, sounds like a bancho. But maybe I'm thinking that because of your costume.
Procy: What's a bancho? Some Earth thing?
MC: A gang leader, I guess? / Strong, humane, just? / A ruler of the school?
Procy: Huh, feels like sorta yes and sorta no to that? It's easy to get though, I got called this stupid nickname back on my home planet. Bancho sounds great. (narrows eyes)
Procy: ...well, it's old stuff. I wonder if Phein became bancho after I left? How was life for him? ...was what I said to him and Besse the right things? Not like anything will change all that if I say anything now.
MC: So, you regret things? / Unintentional regrets? / You're talking a lot today, Procy
(AB) Procy: ...dunno. Maybe not a full on regret, but maybe I could've done more.
(C) Procy: ...heh, I guess. Maybe I'm perking up at seeing an old friend after so long.

Procy looks up and straight at MC.
Procy: I was young back then, and thinking about myself took everything I had. I still wanna be rich as hell, but everything's different since the time I did nothing but chase my dream...but back then, I really did think money and power was everything. (chugs drink)
MC: ...but they aren't, right?
Procy: Heh, cheeky brat... back at my old agency, when I finally got a real job and became a hero, it was Ryekie and Huckle who rocked my world the hardest. (grips empty cup harder)
Procy: We competed over business, yeah, but those two legit didn't ask for compensation for a time. They just helped people without thinking about money, and here we had to think about balancing money and the risk to our lives.

Procy stares into the distance.
Procy: ...and after a while, I started thinking that was good of them. So I hired Gomeisa and installed the gacha Ether Searcher at my place. I'll use what I studied in my own way, for my future's sake.
Procy stretches. The wind blows.
Procy: There are people who accepted my stance that time is money, even while they didn't ask for payment. Stuff I noticed after becoming a hero...well it's not just them. There's also Gomeisa, my bar customers, and in that sense, you too. It bugs me a little that there might really be people who don't seek rewards, but I've gotten older and I can sort of understand them now.
MC: ...hmm?
Quiet digivice noises!

Procy: There can be things more important to you than what you focus on if widen your view...Phein probably had no one to show him that. Seeing how he hasn't changed reminds me again of the guys who don't ask for payment...and it reminds me of how I used to be. I decided some things were fine for other people. Maybe I had things I didn't understand the value of back then.
MC's phone glows brighter!

Procy: What did Phein care most about back then? What was Besse feeling as he tried to give me his scarf...? Things would be different if I knew what those meant and accepted them...but I think I get it now. They're my best friends!
BING

Phone: New Path detected. Subject: Procy. Connectivity: Very High
MC: Those feelings are legit, huh Procy? / I think there's something you can do now.

MC nods to Procy and transforms him. Different lighting!
Procy: W-WHAT? This is a new hero suit! Is this what those rumors I've heard about were all about!? MC...!
MC: It's because your feelings are strong! Strong enough to get a new suit. I just observed it.
Procy: ...you really found this based off that?
Procy checks his new suit out, then scratches his head.

Procy: ...oh, this scarf. So if I accepted it back then... Okay then, I got things to settle too! I gotta go talk to Phein, because that's what chiefs...or banchos do! Right, MC?
MC: I think so too / You look awesome, Procy!
Procy: ...heh, thanks. I don't say it much, but it's nice getting it out.
Beep beep

MC: ...Anna? Something's wrong!

Anna: EMMYSEES! MONSTERS!
Phein: MC, do you read me? Evacuate the civilians, we have a situation here. Try to keep panic down and lead people to safety.
Anna: Do you, like, see the big clock tower!? We're near there! Come quick, thanks!
MC: O-okay! Procy, let's go!
Procy: Right! Of course a Monster shows up when there's tons of people around! Let's test run this suit!
And so MC and Procy make their way to the clock tower while telling people to take refuge. Anna and Phein are at the big open top area on the roof. MC calls to them immediately.
MC: You guys, we're here! I'll transform you now!
Anna: We've been waiting! Henshin a go go, thanks!
MC taps on their phone while running over. They and Procy regroup with the rest of the party by the time Anna and Phein have suited up.

Anna: Okay, we're gucci! ...hey wait, Pro-Pro, you're in a new outfit!
Phein: Hey, that outfit and scarf--
Procy: Nice, huh? You can take a closer look later, but first the Monsters!
Phein: ...right. MC, we kept them back as much as we could while evacuating people. No casualties so far, aside from one stall. Maybe they're hungry, but still dangerous.
Phein grips his Parallel Weapon harder as he glares at the Monsters.

Monsters: SHRIEK
Hostiles!

Anna: Is Monsters getting hungry, like, a thing!? And I'm getting like seriously bad vibes from them here!
Procy: It'll be risky if they head for the evac areas, so we can't stand here talking all day.
Phein: Right. MC, your orders. We will wipe them out.
MC: Right! Ready?
Everyone readies their weapons.

Phein: ...Anna, I'm stepping forward. You stay in the back!
Anna: For support, right? Cool, I'm good at cheering! My dances are awesome!
Phein: Not like th--
Procy: Shut up and fight!
MC: ...here they come!
Procy: You Monster freaks have a lot of nerve making me work for free! At least be a good punching bag for my new suit! Come at me!
BATTLE START

No comments:

Post a Comment