Thursday, June 8, 2023

Chapter 14 Episode 4: Downfall 1 (Abridged)

Barong: Welcome to Yurakucho, God bless! We are the Entertainers, and we want to give everything to you, viewers! Your enjoyment means everything to us, so that's why we put on masks to play whatever. Keep watching!
The next day

MC: Morning already...? Hey, where's Bigfoot?
Barguest: Hi, morning room service.
MC: Hi Barguest / Don't just barge in!
Barguest: ...you okay? Did they do anything to you?
MC: No? / Nothing bad
(A) Barguest: Oh...okay, good then.
(B) Barguest: (stares) ...wait, I should stop thinking about that.

Barguest: So not to repeat myself, but don't trust the Yurakucho folks. They're good at getting into your head and getting at what you care about. I wish I could stick with you all day, but I can't... plus I'm a doom magnet so I should stay away.
MC: You know something? Also why are you even here?
Barguest: ...I'm just working places and I got all sorts of bosses.
Christine starts lurking.

Barguest: They'd do crimes for fun, anything goe--huh?
Christine: Correct! Anything to delight our audience.
MC: W-when did you get in!? / Pretty! / What's with the mask...?
Christine: My, you're making a face just like the Phantom. Pay no mind to the mask, just something to hide my face so I can get into character. I'm Christine of the Entertainers. Nice to meet you.
MC: I'm MC
Christine: Thank you for accepting our invitation, MC.
MC: It's cool / I didn't even get to say yes or no / Okay what's the deal
Christine: That's why I'm here. So, may I have some of your time while That is away?

Somewhere in Yurakucho
Bael: Crimes for fun. The Yurakucho Entertainers only think about delighting the audience watching, and they'll do anything for that. Even crimes. But I'm a lawyer and the law is the law, even if I have to prosecute an ally or relative. Speaking of which, I better get on that, on my name as the top of King Solomon's hierarchy.
Later, the Nightpool

Christine: So MC, what do you think of our Portal? We have plenty of forms of entertainment while you stay, so could you please stop making faces?
MC: What is your deaaaal
Christine: I told you earlier: that as part of the management we want to make this game more interesting. The Game Masters want to keep the game running. We want to make it amusing.
MC: Amusing? Have you seen what's been happening out there!?

Christine: ...yes. Such a sad world, what with someone somewhere suffering at any moment. Some poet or other is always writing and asking God why he isn't doing anything. Is God not here, or is it some other reason? What do you think, MC?
MC: Who cares about God?
Christine: But you've heard of God. He's King Solomon, the All Exception who sent Kyouma Mononobe as a part of himself to watch you over all these loops.
MC: ...what
Christine: Yes, the All-Knowing All-Powerful God. How do you think God sees this world? He sees it as a comedy, even if we may see it as a tragedy. Charlie Chaplin once said life is a tragedy up close but a comedy in long-shot. Mononobe must have thought so too if he was a part of King Solomon.
MC: You shut up! / Stop putting words in his mouth / Sorry, I disagree
Christine: True, it's not like I can understand God. But it's the things you don't understand that charm you. So MC, what was Kyouma Mononobe to you?
MC: An always kind foster Dad / My sometimes hardass teacher / Maybe something else

Christine: Everyone has several personas and yet unseen dramas, and making those dramas the most interesting they can be has been my job up to this point. I don't have anything left to show him anymore...so we thought we should put on a show we never had before. And you're a big part of it, so be sure to take care of yourself until then. I should go now, it's about time for him to come back. (leaves)
MC: wait where'd she go
Bigfoot: Hello MC
MC: Bigfoot? Where'd you go?
Bigfoot: Patrol, Yurakucho. Me, protect you. Go anywhere today? Me, lead way.
MC: ...alright, can you show me around town?
Bigfoot: Okay. Me, happy you rely on me.
MC: (I can't trust you though...) / (Need info...)

Somewhere in Yurakucho
Nobumichi: The area's been sealed and investigated! Whaddya--I mean, what are we doing next, Sir?
Horus: Hmm...prepare the body part for forensics. Get someone specialized in Transient biology.
Nobumich: It'll be done in a jiff--I mean, yes Sir! Sorry about slipping up on my pleb speech.
Horus: It's fine. After that, look for witnesses and PoIs. Bring anyone suspicious to me. And while going after this serial killer dismemberer is dangerous, do not lose any body parts. If we have a full body, we can use my artifact for necromancy and questioning.
Horus's artifact has the power to resurrect people even if they've been cut into five. It did this for Osiris once, and Horus can use it to make whoever he used it on to correct the law.

Horus: (...is whoever doing this scattering the bodies to prevent my artifact from working? ...it can't be.)
Nobumichi: Got it! I mean, yes Sir! I'll be okay, I'm stronger than my foster brother Yasuyori, or anyone else!
Horus: ...yes, only the strong can create peace. We will make a paradise no one else did.
Nobumichi: Let my artifact handle it. Okay, here I go investigating!

Bael: Hello, Lord Horus.
Horus: ...hello, Prosecutor Bael.
Bael: Wow, you're like the only World Representative to show me any respect. The rest treat me so casually...oh, excuse me.
Horus: I must uphold the given laws and fulfill my professional duties.
Bael: Commendable. So, what does the Chuo Judicial Police think of all this? From what I've found, there were rumors that Yurakucho had underground selling of people. And then there were rumors that the serial killer was after the people doing these transactions. Sounds like that one person who went after the trophy at the beginning of this loop. Which reminds me, apparently that arm was set up to have the trophy's bio data? All the World Representatives were in such a rush over that, worried that someone was after the prize already. Not even they know who the real victim or what the murderer's motive was. But maybe Kyouma Mononobe does...

Horus: We're unsure, but I think the Entertainers are hiding something. As one of the judiciary police, I must solve this case.
Bael: ...oh right, you opposed the Ruler Makers-Entertainers alliance, didn't you?
Horus: Yes, as did Koropokkur. I was surprised Ahura Mazda supported it. It's true with their admin privileges, it'd be advantageous for us...but it isn't fair. We abide by majority decisions, but if the Entertainers are involved with this case, we cannot loosen up on the investigation.
Bael: How professional of you. So is this a continuation of the Shinjuku case or a copycat?
Horus: We have no evidence to confirm or deny either.
Bael: But doesn't your actual presence here suggest this is important to the game?
Horus: ...I have an investigation to get back to.
Bael: Oh, excuse me! Last thing, do you know of Yurakucho's history? It's a theater city, but it was also a brothel district once. Hmm, a serial killer targetting prostitutes. Where have I heard that one before? Okay, take care now, lots of plots going on around here.
Horus: (stares)
Later

Beowulf: So many people around today. Ugh, I hope I get the right one this time.

Later, Arakawa
Special Element Angel: Orders from the top of Rule Makers! Find and capture six targets related to the Awakawa Wanderers! New guys, understand your duties?
Mob A: Y-yes, find the dissidents in Arakawa!
Sp. Element Angel: Right, look through your equipment manual and the target list.
Mob A: Y-yes Senpai!
Sp. Element Angel: Good answer. Now which group were you all with before?
Mob A: The Missionaries! The guild was falling apart so I jumped ship.
Mob B: The Tycoons.
Sp. Element Angel: Good thing you joined us since we're on a roll. I also ditched my original guild. I felt bad about it, but I think this is correct.
Mob B: I heard in Minato there's this huge guild alliance thing.
Sp. Element Angel: Well this place is far from the front lines and Yurakucho so it should be safe. Hey you, you listening? Kirito Tachihara, I asked you a question!

Kirito: ...yes I heard, stop yelling thanks.
Angel: Creep. Where were you from before?
Kirito: Who cares?
Angel: Answer!
Kirito: ...the Berserkers, the Genociders, and some other places.
Angel: Did you get kicked out or something?
Kirito: (thinks about Oniwaka and the Genociders)
Kirito: ...no. I can't do anything anyways. Do I LOOK like I'm capable of anything? It's just that every group I was a part of blew up on itself. Not that that's suspicious or anything.
Mobs: WHAT
Angel: ...the albatross on our necks now, huh? No funny business from you, and--
Radio: Intruder alert, intruder alert! Fire!

Angel: THEM (gets caught in chains) what just happened!?
Kirito: Huh?
It's Arc!

Angel: The Genociders guildmaster!
Arc: Burn in your sins.
Angels: AAAAA
Qursha: Those chains!
Arc: Sorry, I hope we don't fight each other aga-- !!
Kirito: Arc? Huh. You're still alive?
Arc: Kirito!?
Chapter 8 flashback!

Arc: I heard about you from MC and the others.
Kirito: Huh. You two friends now?
Arc: I'm still a Genocider. We're allies, but I'm not a Summoner. It's still your home...let's go back together. Like family.
Kirito: ...I don't want it, and we aren't connected anymore.
Arc: Kirito...
Kirito: Why do you care so much about this tragic shithole of a world? Harlot told you how much the loops sucked, didn't she? I always thought Tokyo can go to hell too.
Arc: ...! Why do you say that? All of us loved you.
Kirito: Damn, I BSed the hell out of that to get you to say that, but seriously I don't need a bond of fate with any of you. Never talk to me again. The love families and mothers can give me can get shoved right up their asses. Every time I look at MC, I wonder how it is they DON'T think that.
Arc: Kirito...
Kirito: Bye. Get lost now, yeah?
Arc: Wait, Kirito! I-- !?
Drone Pilots: Get them!
Arc: Oh no, more Rule Makers mobs! (gets shot at as they run)
Drone Pilots: Escape route A1 confirmed, changing pursuit patterns.
Kirito: (stares)

Later
Arc: Dammit, there's no end to these drones!
Wow, it's like these drones know where Arc is going.

Arc: Do I have to fight them then?
Qursha: You, what's your face! Over here!
Arc: Who!?
Elsewhere

Kirito: Being alone is awesome and I would like to stay that way. So who are you and why are you getting in the way of that?
Israfil: Hahaha, oh excuse me! I'm Israfil and I am here to deliver a message from the Rule Makers.
Kirito: Is this a new order or something? I'm a weakling if you can't tell with your eyes. You sure you need someone who can't fight?
Israfil: That's why you're perfect for this. You want to end the world, don't you?
End of Episode

No comments:

Post a Comment