Monday, June 19, 2023

Chapter 14 Episode 7: Missing Link 1 (Abridged)

What exactly is going on here
Oscar: Hello there, audience members! I'm Oscar, the Yurakucho guildmaster and playwright...actually make that dramatist of this show. Nice to meet you, but I'm not taking my mask off for anything beyond jokes, haha!
Nyarlathotep: New mask! New meetings! Totally not people you recognize! Masks are rude? Deal with it!
Oscar: We live only in this moment. All the world's a stage, everyone's an actor, and our lives are fiction! Okay, the show must go on!

There was once a serial killer in the city of fog that targeted prostitutes. That was the oldest theatrical criminal who still lives rent free in people's heads because he was never caught and never brought to light. What sort of person would enjoy a mystery knowing who the culprit is already? [Me. I do.] Following from that, maybe knowing All Things ruins all kinds of enjoyments. What if everything goes the way you figured it would...?
Christine (narrating if she wasn't already): I lost my family when I was young, and all I had was my dream of acting. It was probably never going to happen...but then He granted my dream for me. I was given many roles, a hope to live for. And after the curtains fell, he sent me so many rose bouquets, letting me forget I was all alone. I just wish I knew why he was so nice to me.

One day
Christine: Wait! Are you the one sending me flowers?
It's Mononobe!

Christine (narrating): I once talked to the one leaving me flowers, and he told me he was just His representative, who was always watching from far away. I want to show him a performance one day, with him here himself to enjoy it. And I hope it makes him feel less alone.
Christine (narrating): I devoted myself to acting, more than anyone else. And then I became a starring actress. I can play any role now, and almost all my dreams have come true.
Christine (narrating): I am Christine, disciple of the All-Knowing and actress who performs to delight him. I have performed only for him, the only one who has always watched me. I want him to see the best thing ever. And it has to be better than burning the city down, sinking an island, destroying the world and planet because we've done that all to death already. It has to be Perfect, with nothing coming after it. That's my last wish and joy.

Some prison
Ose: I'm alive somehow! Am I in the Yurakucho Opera's basement? I'm tied up by myself...actually, wait, someone else is down here I think.
Loki: Hi. You look like hell, but not as bad as I do, haha.
Ose: YOU
Loki: I'm Loki. Have we met?
Ose: I've been looking for you!
Loki: I know. You're Ose, Akasaka Agents spy. And Odin's representative which a piece of his memories and the ability to act like him with your artifact, crown of the pretender. You're ex-military. And a president. How right was I?
Ose: ...okay some of that is public, but how'd you get the classified stuff? Yurakucho admin privilege abuse?
Loki: Secret. So, are you my stan or something?
Ose: I'm here to make you pay for what you did in Yggdrasil.
Loki: Wow you sound just like Odin. Also you're going to need to be more specific on what I did in Yggdrasil.

Ose starts channeling Odin.
Ose: I'm talking about how you walled up Yggdrasil! All of us were supposed to die in a fire during Ragnarok so the age of man could come. But with the walls up it's stuck in a loop, meaning you took away the future and the human king who would stand up after! You're the only one who was capable of doing that, what with the artifact you used to wall up Midgard!
Loki: (stares)
Ose: Also I suspect you of being involved with walling up Tokyo. Talk!
Loki: Wow, you acted just like Odin possessed you. Except I know you're Ose, that [REDACTED] who likes to pretend he knows everything.
POP!

Ose: You dispelled my artifact!?
Loki: My tongue can dispel all illusions and falsehoods, which got me imprisoned for being too dangerous.
Loki: So, ready for a roasting? Man if only I could red text this, so just pretend there's a pinging sound! I know why you're chasing after me as Odin's rep. Because you're BORED and you don't have anything better to do. In fact, you don't even know what to do with yourself, just like Odin did after he got the wisdom of the Mimir! Knowing everything sticks you in place and takes away your future! Pffft, President of Hell? You're just a merc who does what you're hired to do, and that's why you're a spy. You're just like the Rule Makers mobs that way!
Blah blah blah...

Arakawa
Rule Makers Mobs: Find the strays on the list!
This is Chuo Rule Makers territory. The drone pilots' visors are feeding them information on what to do and how to optimize their equipment. Instructions include where to go, how to talk, where to look, and other dystopian levels of control. The mobs "cooperate" with it for way better efficiency.

Mobs: We're in Wanderers territory, stay sharp.
Cats: Oh no, they found us!
Mobs: Walkthrough mode on, past data predictions compiled.
Bang!
Cats: Oh no, we're cornered!
Mobs: Nobody move. Tie them up and send them to HQ.
Cats: Are you going to brainwash us!?
Mobs: ...why ask something so inefficient? I mean, some of our new troops ask that too though. You'll just be given the same headset we get. Happiness in group servitude!
The visor tells the mob how much money he just made.

Elsewhere
Karen Curren: I made those equipment to analyze the traits of their wearers and give them instant solutions. It doesn't give a perfect answer, but it can give something good enough that the wearer might not come up with. This is how I'm doing Plan C! It's different than what Bertro and Isaac have come up with, but... why am I talking about this anyway
Plan C has limitations compared to Plans A and B, which is why Curren was placed third among the geniuses.
Basement prison

Loki: That's your limit. You knowing everything puts you in a standstill, a dead end. It also takes the joy out of doing anything or going anywhere. Getting your priorities messed up is such a joke, just like Odin and the others. Those [REDACTED] got caught in their own trap! I almost want to thank them since spinning a hamster wheel still gives a feeling of wanting to do something.
Ose: ...why ARE you doing all this?
Loki: Short version, to entertain myself. That's why I--
Elsewhere
Curren: --went along with that suspicious liar Oscar's script. And so we allied guilds to full in for Plan C's flaws.
Opera House

Oscar: Leave it to me! I'm just trash who only thinks about fun, after all! Oops, right, you want to know what's happening with the plot, huh? Okay, put the show back on!

Yurakucho
Kirito: WHAT
A giant Nobody appears! Sort of.

Overlord: We are Overlord, Utopia Exception.
MC: what? / ...wait, why?
---
(C) No answer.
---
Overlord: We learned the truth at the end of time and wisdom. There is no future, no evolution.
Dimensional warping!
Solomon: M-Master, where did you go!? WAAAHH
King Solomon is there!

Solomon: Father!?

Down the magic rabbit hole!
MC: AAAAAA
Lots of falling through with a distorted sense of time until suddenly MC is in what looks like a Witch barrier.

MC: ...wasn't I just in Yurakucho?
Looks ruined. Also feels like some theater backdrop, doesn't feel real.

MC: Is this an Exception Domain? No wait, it feels different somehow...
Feels weird somehow. Suddenly, Quantum!

MC: WHOMST
Quantum: ...you can see me here?
MC: Yes, somebody's here! / what / (cautiously approach)
Quantum: (stares)
MC: Uh, who are you and where is this? Did you see an Exception?
Quantum: Exception? That's so quaint. I...must be Quantum, and this is where people who may or may not be alive come to.
MC: what
End of Episode

No comments:

Post a Comment