Saturday, December 10, 2022

Kabukicho Night Festival Episode 3 Part 2 (Abridged)

[Note: I'm stopping the Kabukicho Night Festival writeups here because I don't particularly enjoy writing this one anymore. The story's fine, but translating it is turning into a drag. I might come back to it at some point, but who knows?]

Puzzle time with Kresnik and Sandayu
Sandayu: ...this riddle ain't literal, yah?
Kresnik: Last I checked, there's no mirror in here. It could be hidden. Or...
Nope, no mirror. But there is a big bowl with water in the corner!

Sandayu: Oh! I'mma look over here then.
Sandayu checks the other corner. There's another bowl with water there. Sandayu sticks his hand in.

Sandayu: Hmm...
Sandayu pulls up a ninja-to. Kresnik finds a bloody sword in the other one.

Kresnik: Oh, so that's what that meant.
Kresnik's reflection turns into an image of his old appearance as a vampire hunter.

Kresnik: ...dick move.

Kresnik (narrating): I've been hunting vampires ever since I gained awareness. My nemesis was the black wolf that ran across the lands of Kitezh and harmed people, Kudlak. I spent my days fighting against the monsters that harmed society. When I fought others of my kind, only one of us would survive. Kitezh is a world of diffusion, and harsh battles and blood pools spread out. As things continued, my enemies included other nightfolk as well. I've killed many until I became known as an anti-terrorist hero. This bloody sword is like the one I had back then...
Jeut: (Ha ha! Who will thou turn thy blades of thine own memories on? Yourselves, or the other? Sacrifices must be made! Those who enter my sanctuary must feel my sadness!)
Kresnik: ...I see, I have to show who I am. I'll get to it then. (turns to Sandayu)

Kresnik: Looks like we'll have to go back to being enemies and finish some unfinished business. Now die for Kabukicho and its students.
Sandayu: Aww, Krezzy! You realized only one man can get outta here? Ya know, dyin' on the job like a good teacher suits ya!
Jeut: ...wait
Sandayu: So how about we go right at each other?
Kresnik: Go back to the shadows, creeper.
Jeut: (Wait what, I bothered to make totally safe fake weapons! They weren't supposed to try to kill each other! I have to stop them but telling them to use the fake weapons would spoil the riddle!)
Jeut could just stop them by cancelling the sanctuary himself, but racial pride says that's not an option. Letting things out of a trap he set just isn't his style.

Jeut: AAAAAA
Kresnik and Sandayu: COME AT ME
BATTLE START (more happens after)

Sandayu pulled out some random ass straight sword out of the water. Nothing special, just some random tool a ninja would use. It's just that Sandayu associated this sword with a certain memory. He had a foolish student he taught much to, who then stabbed him in the back. He called himself a great thief and took something important to Sandayu from him for the sake of some organization or castle lord.
Present
Kresnik and Sandayu are squaring off like they agreed beforehand. No repeating of old regrets! No getting trapped by old grudges!

Sandayu: ...whoops.
Kresnik cut down Sandayu!

Jeut: AAAAAA

Kresnik grabs a part of Sandayu and starts talking to Jeut.
Kresnik: Okay so that's probably harmful for minors to see, but did I do it right?
Jeut: ...y-yes! T-t-the door is...!
Kresnik: (Man, Sandayu doesn't miss a beat. He managed to send me a signal by flying his wrist to me while looking into the mirror. And he came up with the plan to use his body split technique to pretend I cut him to pieces.)
Sandayu: HAHAHAHAHA
Jeut: ZOMBIIIIIEEEE!
Kresnik: (Goddammit you dumbass, the door's still not open yet!)
Sandayu: (Hey! I can't keep it down if you're grabbing the side o' my torso, Krezzy!)

Time to keep the act going! Kresnik tosses the piece of Sandayu's body he was holding as his upper half pulls together.
Kresnik: Damned youkai! Die when you're killed!
Sandayu: wait what? HEY WAIT STOP
Jeut: ...um, you can stop now. I already opened the door. You didn't die when you used the weapons I made, but I didn't expect you to actually fall apart to pieces.
Kresnik: PAYBACK FOR ALL THE CRAP YOU'VE CAUSED ME! HOW DO YOU LIKE BEING WHALED ON, SUPER AGENT!?
Sandayu: NOOO AHAHAA STOP TICKLING!
Jeut: I said you can stop now! You win, okay!?
Kresnik and Sandayu are too busy/loud to hear. Abandonment issues activate!

Jeut: WAAAH! Don't leave me alone and ignore meee!
The room poofs back to its original form.

Meanwhile, the party reaches the first floor.
Tsukuyomi: Hey Sphinx, do you know where the sanctuary is?
Sphinx: That way, where those words are written!
Suzuka: The staff room? Maybe the teachers are stuck inside.
Sphinx: ...huh? The sanctuary disappeared!
MC: Let's check it out / Did they get out? / (run wordlessly)
(B) Tsukuyomi: That'd be nice. Let's go.
(C) Suzuka: Hey wait! Oh damn it all. After them!

A huge light comes from the office door!
Kresnik: What, still not enough Sandayu? Time to vent everything I've pent up!
Sandayu: Krezzy nooo! I can't take anymore!
Shocked reactions from the party!

Suzuka: W-what? Is that what they had to do to get out?
Ellie: ...hmm.
Tsukuyomi: Wow they seem to be having fun. Maybe we should look away?
MC: Let's pretend nothing happened / How ~~fun~~ terrible / Me too!
Suzuka: Should we open the door? We're not gonna get stuck in the sanctuary too, right?
Sphinx: No, it's gone. Let's open the door already.
Tsukuyomi: !! ...okay, let's step back and let the Queen handle it.

Ellie lifts up the hem of her dress and kicks open the door!
Kresnik and Sandayu: !?
Ellie kicked the door all the way to the wall! Kresnik and Sandayu are on the floor with Sandayu resisting while Kresnik's hand has slipped into Sandayu's clothes.

Kresnik: Ellie? ...the sanctuary! When did Sphinx disappear!?
Sandayu: ...welp.
Ellie stands arms crossed and puts her foot down. The sound echoes.

Kresnik: ...could you hear us out?
Ellie: Okay. Make it quick.
Sandayu: I got tickled and got students starin' at me! What the hell is up with today!?

One explanation later
Suzuka: Wow, I don't think anyone besides you two could've made it out of there.
Ellie: Yeah, all we had to do was play.
MC: Yeah, same with Eret / Personal differences? / Is there an aggressive Sphinx?
Sphinx: ...Jeut means sadness.
Tsukuyomi: You know something, Sphinx?
Sphinx: Those are ritual words from my home world. Eret is eye, Mereut is love, and Jeut is sadness.
Sphinx walks into the room and picks up a fallen mask.

Ellie: Isn't that the mask I broke?
Suzuka: ...no, it's probably like the extra pen we saw.

Sphinx puts the mask on and sees a flashback!
???: I don't want to see people off to the underworld if this is what's going to happen. Nobody who comes back remembers our promise, the times we played together, or even who I am. And this has to happen forever? They say it's needed...but do I really have to bear all this alone?
Sphinx (narrating?): I remember now. They aren't fakes; they're me. They're fragments of my memories of trying to run away from my role and life.
When people grow old enough, they journey to the underground subrealm of Duat. Those who finish the journey come back changed. This is System Aaru, the world that does not end by death based on the cycle of the sun.
Sphinx's role is to observe the correct cycling of the sun. He greets the people and sun who finish their journey to the underworld before seeing them off as they go underground, meaning there is only separation. Sphinx can never see any of them again. All cycle through equally, no matter their relations.
Present

Sphinx: ...oh.
The mask disappears. Sphinx starts crying.

MC: Sphinx?
Sphinx has to tell everyone how this incident happened, but then the castle shakes before he can say anything!

End of Episode

1 comment:

  1. I really hope you DO finish this, because.i want to know more!

    ReplyDelete