Friday, April 1, 2022

Tigers New Year Episode 3 (Abridged)

Time to go to the next place!
Asakusa's Nakamise Street in front of the Raimon Gate. Tourist spot since before the walls came up, long lines as usual.

Li Chou: AAAAAA AT LAST I MADE IT PAST THE LINES! I finally get time to go to the shrine and I knew there were crowds, but I wasn't expecting THIS! It's like sardines! I do my prayers, but then I had a hard time getting through! My new clothes aren't ripped, right? ...good! (fixes collar) And now for a haiku recital. (stares off towards the bell)
MC: I'm glad you invited me! / What was that about flowers in your haiku? / I got to see Li Chou in a formal kimono so this is a good day
(A) Li: O-oh...heheh. One less thing to worry about! Thanks for coming when you're so busy! There's tons more shops than I thought there'd be, so wanna walk around? It's the beginning of the Year of the Tiger, so I wanted to hang out with my best friend. Y-you do too, right!?
(B) Li: Haha, time to show off how cultured I am! So back in the Edo shogunate period, there was this poet staying in Asakusa. Temple bells have this sense of wabisabi! And flowers were used as an illustrative point of fluttering formal clothes! Gods don't make me explain it...n-no I didn't do this because I wanted to, shut up!
(C) Li: Uh...w-well aren't you full of flattery! I-I guess looking sharp suits me, eh? I wanted to show you how cool I can be. No wait you didn't hear that. HNY. 

MC and Li Chou continue walking down the street. Lots of stalls, lots of yelling today.
MC: Pretty lively here. Lots of stores up, surprisingly.
Li: First three days of the year is Asakusa's first moneymaking season of the year. Lots of new Transients lately, which brings in more tourists, then more Transients in a cycle. Lots of locals selling local souvenirs too. Shitamachi's commercial spirit has everyone hit the ground running early! (Li smiles proudly, with a bit of shock mixed in.)
Li: This reminds me of when I first got summoned to Tokyo and I had Motosumi take me around I MEAN I went along with Motosumi. Right now the new people at Umamichi are making a killing with a New Years teppan grill course. When they enroll in the school, the senpais come to say hi! ...and every day at the school is like a storm. Would it kill people to have a slow New Year's for once...? (sighs and pulls his hands into his sleeves)
Li: Cold. How can it be so cold with so many people out here? Wanna go get warm drinks from somewhere? My treat. Want food too? There's pork soup, amazake, red bean soup, candy, oden, and other stuff! Dammit now I want it all! How about we get everything and go somewhere to eat--(notices something and hurries to the next stall while shopping)
Li: Can you wrap three of those to go? And make it snappy... Why do I want three? Do you not hear that noise in the dista--
???: VROOM VROOM STRONG ALERT!!!

Nezha: VROOM VROOM HAPPY NEW YEARS AND ALL THAT JAZZ!
Li Chou: Don't think you can speed demon all the time! Eat this! (leaps forward)
Nezha: Yummy alert! Emergency brake gooo!
Li: Ha, you're stopping! Go on, feast your eyes on my perfect pla--(Nezha crashes into him)--AAAAAA
MC: Li are you okay!? It was a good strategy, but...
Li: Nezha...can't...stop that fast. Urk...
Sanat Kumara: Get up Li! You can do better than this!
Li: I'm hallucinating...! I'll tell you I hope to keep working with you this year later...
Sanat: No I'm really here. I am always with you. Also stop blocking the street!
Li: AAAAAHHH
MC: Oh no, Li!

Nezha: Li-Senpai, do you always eat like a pig? Also, happy new year! Sorry I didn't brake in time. Whoopsies! ...oh, MC-senpai! Happy New Fight, ahahaha!
Li: I can't believe you care more about food than apologies! And it's Happy New YEARS, dammit!
Nezha: Hooray!
Motosumi: UGH I finally caught up to you ya little punk! Stop running off all the time! I swear I look away for FIVE. SECONDS! Why does everyone at our school--did you run over Li Chou? Damn, at least you didn't hit any visitors too.
Li: I'm literally sitting right here! Also thanks for all your help!
Motosumi: Yeah sure. Hey, is that you MC? Happy New Year!
MC: Hey Nezha. Happy New Year, let's fight sometime! / S'up Motosumi / Yo, Sanat Kumara-senpai!
(A) Nezha: Tee hee, nice look on your face! I love fighting you! LET'S DO IT! Maybe we'll go to war against the entire Asakusa guild?
Motosumi: Nezha stop bothering everyone!
(B) Motosumi: My kids say Happy New Year too. Stop by our place when things settle down again! Nezha and Hanuman come by a lot, so all the extra kids means a lot more noise.
Nezha: Hey did you know those oni kids are like super strong? Man, I wanna fight them without anything holding us back.
Motosumi: You stop talking like that! And you're talking about hide and seek and videogames anyway!
(C) Sanat: Yes, Happy New Year's indeed. I wish you all a bright bath to the future. If you ever get lost, come see me! I will show you the way!

Sanat Kumara: Anyways, I apologize for taking my eyes off Nezha. I doubt Nezha would have hurt you MC, but I must apologize for them bothering students from other schools.
Li Chou: I know stopping Nezha's a tall order but are you saying you don't care about what happens to anyone from our school!?
Sanat: Surpass this trial, Li!
Li: Aww...but on another note, it's weird how the three of you are together for shrine visiting.
Sanat: I'm patrolling Asakusa while I'm at it, and I brought Nezha to help...and then they went on a rampage.
Nezha: That's cause the path I take is for the cutest and strongest! If there's no path for me, I'm gonna run through and make one!
Motosumi: I was on my own making rounds saying hi to the temple priests when I saw Nezha playing Street Racer Tokyo...

Nezha: Yep. Got a ping on my Nezha sensor and I just had to go. Oh, speaking of! New ping, bye guys!
Sanat Kumara: No, stop forging your path through other people's temples!
Motosumi: Dammit, you are ruining my plans to go to the Saru no Yu after this!
Li Chou: NOOOO why can't I have a New Year's away from you guys!?
Sanat and Motosumi: (stares in gangster)
Li: I didn't say anything. But man, I really can't have a quiet holiday can I. Would've been nice for once. (sighs)
MC: I'll help! / Because then it'll be faster. / Uh, I already have plans Li and--
(C) Li: M-my friend!

Sanat Kumara: No we'll be enough to stop Nezha, but I thank you for your warm consideration.
Motosumi: Yeah, plus I have other plans after this. Me and the kids are seeing Takemaru later, and then we'll all go to the Saru no Yu for a group bath. What about you guys? It's a custom in my neighborhood, and a hot bath is great after being outside in the winter!
Sanat: Okay.
Motosumi: Well you should focus on MC first, then we can party later. Alright Li?
Li: what
Sanat: Remember Li! It's not over until you go home!
Li: I'm so touched, yes I will remember!
Sanat: LI!
Li: BOSS!
80s anime moment
MC: Hot blood! / what / uhh
Motosumi: Eh, it's okay it's New Year's. Too much effort to engage with that. Okay bye!

Li Chou and MC continue buying food and head for a rest area, and somehow you two find two seats right next to each other among the crowd.
MC: Whew, finally a break / Kinda feels like they're fussing over me / ...we're finally alone
(A) Li: Poetic commentary on New Year's...hell yeah, man!
(B) Li: You're famous, so of course we'd see plenty of people who know you. And soon, the two of us will be the most famous people in Tokyo! Aw geez if we get any more well known, it's gonna be hell! It'll be forever before we can kick back like kings do after their subjects are happy.
(C) Li: And this still isn't as bad as how life is at Umamichi every day...n-no it's not like I'm happy or anything! If you don't believe me, come check the school out sometime! ...you'll be welcome whenever. It'll be loud as hell, but we'll all be there...

Li Chou: Oh yeah I wanna give you something. (starts rummaging through his sleeves)
Kuniyoshi: Oh hi MC, what a coincide--OMG A FLUFFY WHITE TIGER FURRY! (zooms over breathing hard)
Kuniyoshi: Hi I'm Kuniyoshi whatsyourname? Nicefur, I usually think of tigers as being buff and physical but the glasses you were are like gap moe!
Li: !??!?
Kuniyoshi: White tigers are great., you got three other friends? Like giraffes and elephants! I like those too! Want some of my sweet potato snacks? Or this winter seasonal stamina drink?
Li: WHOMST!? MC, HELP!
MC: Oh hey Kuniyoshi / It's the attack of the nerd love rant! / It's okay, he's not a bad guy!

Itzamna: Kuniyoshi I've told you a thousand times to think about not bothering the people you're talking to before you talk about your likes.
Kuniyoshi: huh did I do something? Oh, sorry everyone.
Itzanma: I apologize for my student.
Kuniyoshi: Sorry for scaring you. I couldn't help myself when I saw your great fur.
Li Chou: O-okay, as long as you get it. Thanks Teach!
Itzanma: Happy New Year's young ones, it's been some time since we saw each other. Have you been in good health?
Catoblepas: Happy New Year's...I kind of figured something like this happen when Kuniyoshi ran off like that.
Hecate: Tee hee, long time no see. I've been busy with making new books for end of year events!
MC: Happy New Year's Kuniyoshi / Is it okay for you to go outside in winter, Itzamna? / Catoblepas, Hecate!
(A) Kuniyoshi: Many new fluffs to you too! Li Chou's your friend? Can I touch your fur?
Li: N-no if you both pet me at the same time I...purrrr...ACK!
(B) Itzamna: Yes, thanks to the winter clothes everyone's given me I'm all warm inside. They called it winter presents, so it felt like a waste to not enjoy it. So this year, I decided to wear them and go outside for a moment, hahaha.
(C) Hecate: Thank you for remembering me, come see us some more this year.
Catoblepas: H-here's to a good year. Let's do lots of cosplay together!
Hecate: Yeah, let's be better friends. I hear you know a lot of people from different schools. So...you like shipping? I'm good with all kinds of chemistry, tee hee! I love looking at ships, and back in my home world they called me the Third Hecate...oh no, new ship ideas! I'm getting ideas for a new doujin of black magic!
Catoblepas: Hecate you're drooling!
Hecate: Oh whoops. Sorry I got a little excited...

Hecate: The breeze is so cold...you sure you're okay, Sensei?
Itzamna: I'm enjoying things as much as I can without pushing myself, and I had some warm amazake earlier. Plus I'm here of my own volition, so I shouldn't bother my students.
Kuniyoshi: Any new inspiration in being up at a time you usually hibernate?
Itzamna: Yes, a silver furred tiger in Eastern clothing that looks great in the cold weather...a fine view indeed. Is this the sort of thing I've always slept through?
Li Chou: Did an artist just compliment me? Ooh, do I look that good in formal kimono?
Catoblepas: I-I like cosplaying in Asian costumes too. There's lots of clothes shops at Nakamise Street. Would you like to join me in cosplaying? I can ask Arachne to make you a costume too and--
MC: Li's not a cosplayer though / I'll introduce him. This is--
Li: Umamichi Academy's student council president Li Chou. And MC is my bosom buddy!

Hecate: Bosom buddies!? What a nice ring to that phrase! Where's my dictionary I have to look that up! Li Chou, how about we talk more about this in a retro cafe near here?
Catoblepas: W-wait, calm down Hecate!
Li: W-whoa the Creators are filled with nerds. Are all of them like this!? Reminds me of that one guy into toku shows. The courage to talk about what you like is amazing! Oh right I never actually responded to their invitation for a toku watch party.
Hecate: Oh, you like toku shows!? Maybe you'll get along with everyone at our school.
Catoblepas: That reminds me. MC, come by our school in Akihabara sometime. I'll be going to Akiha Gongen's place tomorrow. Uh...we're getting along a little better. Also, I just prayed at the shrine hoping to make more friends this year so maybe this is fate. If you like, maybe we can be friends too Li Chou.
Li: Sure! Wanna trade phone numbers?

Sarutahiko: Oh, there they are! Hey, are you the party who reserved spots at the Saru no Yu--MC? Happy New Year's! Oh Li Chou's with you too? Here's to a good year!
Li: Hey Sarutahiko, Happy New Year's! ...wait you're already working?
Sarutahiko: First big moneymaking time of the year! I came to get the customers who called in a reservation.
MC: Hmm / Well you're working hard I see / Reservations? Hmm
Sarutahiko: A bathhouse's the best place for the first ablution and bath of the year! And they say if you do laundry at this time of year you wash away your clothes AND your luck.
Li: Boo, lame joke!
Itzamna: Now now, superstitions and faith aren't things you should just ignore. Oh yes, I heard the bathhouse near Umamichi is great at night, so I made a reservation to go there on our way back.
Sarutahiko: New Year's at Saru no Yu is a huge thing around here. Lately we've been getting even more customers! Okay, now follow me guys!
Catoblepas: A bathhouse? I'm a little anxious without a costume...will it be okay?
Sarutahiko: Sure, lemme tell you about Uzume. She's this one chick who blesses the new year by taking off her clothes...
Hecate: Oh, Arachne will be coming soon to join us. Something about relaxing from her work.
MC: Well you're lively Sarutahiko / You have plans, huh Catoblepas?
(A) Sarutahiko: Yeah, business is booming! Feel free to come over even when it isn't New Year's!
(B) Catoblepas: Y-yes. Would you like to join us in cosplaying? Akiha Gongen and the rest of us can do four-man picture shots. Seems like my wish at the shrine will come true soon and make this a good year.

Sarutahiko: Whoops, can't talk here for too long or else Boss will get pissed.
Barguest: Yeah, super pissed.
Sarutahiko: AHH! Oh Barguest, the new part timer. Were you looking for me!?
Barguest: Yeah, you haven't been calling in or bringing customers, so I had to look for you on my break. Come on, I got a party with Hermes to get to later and...huh?
Hecate:
Barguest: AAAHHH Lady Hecate!?
Hecate: Oh hi Barguest. I told you you can stop calling me Lady here in Tokyo. Now, I'm just another grimoire author going by the pen name Hell's Bitch.
Barguest: I can't!
MC: wat / Hecate's a rich lady!? / ooh, what's going between you two?

Hecate: Uhh, back when I lived at home I had a live-in hunting dog...I mean servant. Barguest worked a lot for me and helped me figure out a lot of magical effects...
Barguest: I think I was less a servant and more a guinea pig. She set me on fire, froze me, petrified me, turned me into a frog, set slimes on me, and one time she stuck me inside a wall! And that's not even everything...
Hecate: I was trying to chemically change your unhappiness...but I guess we missed each other.
Barguest: Isn't that something you say at a lab table!? I mean I know you don't mean anything bad by it but...
Kenta: U-um...Uncle, you're going to scare people if you yell like that...
Hecate: Ohh, who's the little boy? Is he lost?

Barguest: O-oh, this is Kenta. I look after him. Sorry about that, I'm not mad or anything.
Hecate: Hmmmm... so this is your own kind of happiness? I think my New Year's wish might have come true? Tee hee, feel free to come talk to me if you're ever in trouble Barguest.
Barguest: ....this is going to be the worst year ever. T-thank you for your consideration, Lady!
Kuniyoshi: Wow, Hecate and Catoblepas are having good luck so early this year.
Barguest: Uggggh, so much bad luck...
Itzamna: I'm sorry to interrupt, but can we get going? I'm feeling sleepy...
Li Chou: Sarutahiko, hurry it up!
Sarutahiko: Right! Follow me, everybody!
Everyone besides Li and MC leave.

Li Chou: ...never a quiet moment around here. Where's the quiet time I wished for with my frie--wait, maybe it's happening now? Oh right, the package from earlier. M-MC, stand there! Us being shoulder to shoulder is just perfect! (pulls out a disaster warding talisman from the most famous temple in Asakusa)
Li: This is for you. I bought it before we met up. You're always getting in trouble, and I'd rather not see you run into danger. Think of me and take it!
MC: Buddy! / Thanks, I'll take good care of it / You wanted us to be alone to give this to me?
---
(A) Li: ...that's me! Your best friend, wherever I am! Now this has to be a good New Year's. I was too embarrassed to give it in front of everyone, so keep it a secret.
(B) Li: You should take care of yourself first. You know how much I worry about you? You better thank me. Now put it away, it's kinda embarrassing...
(C) Li: W-well yeah! T-t-this is like super embarrassing! I don't want anyone seeing this! Put it away now, dammit!
---
Li: Oh right, it's almost curfew for you isn't it? You don't need to hang around a delinquent right? Oh that reminds me. Did you get my New Year's card? You probably got a whole bunch, but I wrote poetry on mine. Look forward to it if you haven't seen it yet! I'm off to the bathhouse, so see ya later!

Later
Solomon: Master! Tada, Happy New Year's! How was your day? You look tired, but you also seem to have had fun. Mikoshis at the sea, holiday sales at Ikebukuro, and temple visits at Asakusa!? That's crazy, but that's just like you...
Solomon: Me? Heh, I went off to have fun with Cait Sith! We went off looking for clothes in our size, and that was exciting since Cait Sith dresses so nicely. Also, I took lots of pictures to share!
MC: It's late, but Happy New Year's. Best wishes this year.
Solomon: Yes, you too! Last year has been weird... let's hold hands on the way home! I still have a promise with you! And let's make this year a good one too!
And so MC walks with a lighter step on the way home under the street lights. New meetings and new friends await, and up above the twinkling stars and the moon that shines like a friendly tiger's eye watches over them.
The End

No comments:

Post a Comment