Friday, August 25, 2023

Live A Hero Rakusai Travelogue Episode 4 (Abridged)

The party searches Shinraku at night for clues after destroying that Monster from last time. They don't find anything so they go back to the inn.
Tsuneaki: Noooo, I only made myself look more sus today...
MC: Good work, Tsuneaki / Poor old man~ / How about you turn yourself in?
---
(A) Tsuneaki: Aww, you're so nice MC
(B) Tsuneaki: I see that look in your eyes! You don't pity me at all, don't you?
(C) Tsuneaki: No! Because I'm innocent!
---
Tsuneaki seems perfectly fine for having walked all day.

Kouki: Ha ha...sorry everyone, I'm going to our room early. I'm a little tired.
Tsuneaki stops Kouki before he leaves.

Tsuneaki: Wait, one question please?
Kouki: Okay? What is it?
Tsuneaki: You don't have to answer me, but how come you've kept up your on camera behavior this whole time?
Kouki: !! W-whatever do you mean?
MC: You're imagining things! / (He knows!) / (look at Gammei)
(BC) Gammei: I said it this morning but--

Tsuneaki: I'm not imagining things! I'm an actor, I can tell! ...ok no, I just heard you through the walls this morning because they're thin.
Gammei: ...sorry, I tried saying it a bunch of times this morning but he didn't believe me.
Tsuneaki: It's okay, Kouki. It's not like I thought of blackmailing you or anything! ...oh no I sound even more sus!
Kouki: !?
Kouki: ...ha ha, you're funny. How can you find time to worry about me even after being thought of as the perp?
Kouki: (sigh) Dammit, I misread things and now I messed things up for everyone at the agency...
Tsuneaki: What? No way, it's that gossip rag writer's fault!
MC: Kouki did nothing wrong / You're right / ...

Kouki doesn't sound as prickly as he normally does, but he still gives off a sense of pride.
Kouki: I'm gonna go all in on my acting work, so I don't like anyone who doesn't take it seriously. But I still can't let myself look away from my own mistakes and keep acting the way I have...so I kept up the on-camera behavior before I realized it.
Gammei: It must be tough being a public entertainer.
Kouki: Yeah. I get the good boy act rolling for a while, and then that magazine blows it all up. But I know letting my real self show on camera won't just get people to like me. I know I'm a mouthy kid.
MC: Really? / I like you / (quietly look at Kouki)
(A) Kouki: ...MC? (shook)
(B) Kouki: Oh come on, flattering me isn't gonna help now...
It sounds like a "there there" to him.

Tsuneaki: ...Kouki?
Tsuneaki seems a little different now, like he's looking at a picture of himself as a kid while looking at Kouki.

Tsuneaki: I'm sure you've been acting like you were on camera all day, but do you really want to say everything you said and felt during then was fake?
Kouki: ...! No...
Tsuneaki: One other question: why are your only choices to keep the act up or show what you're really like?
MC: What? / Hmm, he's right / You don't have to choose
(AB) Tsuneaki: No one's telling you to choose, except maybe yourself. You can still not choose between them.
(C) Tsuneaki: You're stealing my lines, MC! But yes, that's what I was thinking Kouki.

Kouki: What?
Tsuneaki: (looking out the window) When I was your age, I worried about the difference between my appearance and my cultural upbringing. Then someone told me I didn't need to choose. If you're stuck at a fork, you can find some surprising new paths if you just look around. But you're free to choose whatever.
Gammei: It bugs me that he's speaking sense, but I agree.
Kouki: ...
Kouki thinks everyone is making sense, but he's having trouble thinking of an alternate choice.

Kouki: ...what did you choose?
Tsuneaki: Wait, you sure you wanna know now? Well, I'm okay with telling if you can say it won't change your mind.
Kouki: What the hell? Fine, I'll think about it myself!
Kouki frowns for a second.

Kouki: ...but thanks. I feel a little better now.
Sirius: Bark!
Kouki may be hesitant, but in Sirius's eyes he will always be Kouki no matter what.

Kouki: Thanks for worrying, Sirius. It's night now though, so no loud noises.
Tsuneaki: Hey, Gammei! MC! Didn't I just say something cool now?
Gammei: Not anymore, ugh. But yeah you can't change how you feel on a dime, so go ahead and relax while you're with us. You'll find the time to think about things that way.
MC: You can do it / I'm cheering for you, Kouki / (hold Kouki's hand)
(AB) Kouki: ...thanks you two, and sorry for bothering you.
Gammei: It's cool. When I was a kid I--
Kouki: Stop treating me like a kid tho. Or else I'll call you old man
Gammei: Urgh. I guess I would be from your perspective but still...
---
(C) Kouki: Thanks you two...and MC I would have thanked you even without you grabbing my hand.
---
Tsuneaki: Ooh, ha ha! Is that how you normally are? Gotta watch out!
Kouki is slightly more relaxed now. He thinks about what he should do next, then goes to sleep.

Flashback
???: Don't choose?
Space Onmyouji: Yep! You were worrying about whether you had to identify as an alien or an Earthling, right Tsuneaki? Because you were born here but clearly don't look like it. I think you don't need to choose though.
Tsuneaki (narrating): I started talking to this guy a lot after meeting him through that paper bird thing. He's some sort of old Japan onmyouji, but I thought he was just joking about that. But then I wondered I might be accepted as an Earthling if I applied old Japanese customs to myself too, so I decided I wanted to study under him.
Tsuneaki: What? Is this more "I am looking into your future" crap?
Space Onmyouji: Hahaha, was that supposed to be an imitation of me? Wow you've been paying attention.
Tsuneaki (narrating): ...come to think of it, I wasn't honest with him and I wasn't that good a student. I frowned when he found me making fun of him hilarious.
Space Onmyouji: Oh, sorry. Back on topic! ...sort of. So I have a pet theory. An alien born on Earth would have a newness that'd never have existed before, so wouldn't that mean they'd have more choices on how to live than there ever was? Maybe I can teach you some way of finding a good future.
Tsuneaki (narrating): He wasn't even mad, but that pissed me off. It felt like he wasn't treating me seriously because I was a kid. I mean I was, but ironically he treated me more like a person than anyone else.

Present
Late at night, on the streets of Shinraku

Tsuneaki: Aww man, they remind me of who I used to be so much I ended up meddling.
Tsuneaki is talking to someone while leaning back against a wall. He came out alone.

Ninja: Don't give me that crap.
The ninja is leaning back on the wall on the other side.

Tsuneaki: Okay okay, you want my regular report right? You sure work hard being up this late. But yeah I'm doing my part. I only just started though so it'll be a while before anything comes up. Go back and wait.
Ninja: ...hmph. You sure are stuck up for an invader.
Bloodlust comes from that side! But Tsuneaki pushes back.

Tsuneaki: And you're the one who has to depend on an "invader." You think you can act like that to someone solving a problem the organization can't?
Tsuneaki turns back towards the ninja. The ninja leaves shortly after.

Tsuneaki: Ugh, things only just got together. I know I have to hurry, it's an important moment.
Gammei: (hides nearby)

Title Card: Four AM Shadow Sneaker

The next morning, the party is talking to the festival president at the festival grounds
President: Thank you so much. It's not public yet, but we'll help as much as we can and--
MC's Monster sensing is moving the incident closer to being solved. Since finding out there's more than one Monster running around, Gammei and the others are dressing up as citizens and helping out to lure the Monsters out.
MC: A decoy plan, huh? Careful guys! / I'm nervous...
Kouki: I'm used to fighting Monsters, but being a decoy myself is still kind of nerve wracking...you be careful too MC, since you're going to be watching us for a long time.
Gammei: Yeah, we gotta stick it out to investigate for Monsters while we're at it. We got agency Operators also watching us until we have to fight though, so don't worry.
Tsuneaki: So, am I still guiding y'all? The president sent me some map data earlier...

President: It's where our mikoshi are placed in town. You said Monsters have transformed into them, right? Then maybe any you find not on that map might be them.
Kouki: That's a good idea!
Gammei: Oh, now we just need to keep civilians safe. But telling them to stay away will just cause other rumors...
Tsuneaki: What if we just told them we're exorcising them?
President: Oh yeah. The rumors have people thinking youkai are around. Not everyone believes, but I'll tell people to help calm them down.
Gammei: Thanks. Time to patrol then?
The party starts walking and immediately have children come up to talk to them.

Girl A: Hi! You guys done talking with the president? Where'd you come from?
Boy B: Wow your festival coat looks awesome! Where can I buy one?
MC: We're from Orient City / Yeah it's nice / whomst

Tsuneaki: Hiiii! They came from Orient City to help with our festival.
Other random townspeople hear Tsuneaki and take an interest in the party.

Rando A: Wow! We get a lot of tourists who watch, but you wanna join in?
Rando B: Humans! I wish SOMEBODY who lived in the next city over took more interest in us!
Rando C: Yay! I'm so glad people are coming after those stupid rumors went up.
Gammei: Uhh, I guess we ARE helping but--
Tsuneaki: (Gammei, play along with me. People will flip out if they find out you're heroes!)
The party is taken aback at the innocent attention. They seem happy about meeting some friendly humans, probably because of the town of racists nearby.

Food Cart Man: Hey, come eat some of my food later!
Beer Cart Man: HEY, don't try to get a head start! Fine, come check out my booze! Family recipe~. Actually I hear this place used to be famous for sake brewing until it all burned down. We tried contacting the owners to rebuild their warehouse at least, but no one in his family ever came back for it. Kinda sad.
MC: Wait...
Kouki and MC remember the history lesson they got the other day.

Gammei: ...hey can I get a cup?
Kouki: Gammei, we're supposed to be on patrol soo--
MC: Yeah we're on the clock / Kouki wait / How about I drink instead?
---
(B) Kouki: MC...I understand how Gammei feels after what I heard yesterday but...
(C) Gammei: No, wait. I dunno how much you can drink, but you gotta have a clear head if we do run into Monsters today.
---
Gammei: Pffft, one cup will be fine. It's my job to play nice with the locals! And I wouldn't want to be rude now.
Tsuneaki: Well, how about the rest of us get on with our work like the president asked? Gammei can just call us if anything happens.
Gammei nods, so everyone else moves on.

Kouki: Wow, the people we talked to were so different from the people we tried asking for info yesterday.
The party is talking while checking out places on Tsuneaki's map where there isn't supposed to be mikoshis.

Kouki: Like, they might have opinions on the neighbors but they aren't that mad about it.
Tsuneaki: Well, nobody in this generation lived through all the Monster attacks that happened in the area back then. Remember what Gammei said about that old lady he talked to? The old people of their time just kept going on about it. There's gonna be some dramatization of the good ol' days, so not everyone's gonna take it the same way. And there still might be some nice people even if there's some real haters.
MC: I wonder if they'll ever kiss and make up / So they just missed each others' signals? / Sounds like celeb gossip
---
(B) Tsuneaki: Yep. But also the 100 years passing thing too.
(C) Tsuneaki: Actually, I guess so.
---
Tsuneaki: They might actually make up if the chance comes up. It's just that the chance doesn't really come by much...
The party continues searching. MC doesn't sense anything though, so after a while they head back to the festival plaza.

Later
MC: Gammei's late... / We should go back for now
---
(A) Kouki: Hmm. Maybe he's still talking with the townspeople.
(B) Tsuneaki: Right, we should probably pull Gammei out now.
---
Tsuneaki: Okay, we should go ba--
Kouki: Tsuneaki, behind you!
Sirius: BARK BARK
Sirius destroys a Monster that popped up behind Tsuneaki!

Tsuneaki: Oh my god! Thanks Sirius!
Kouki: MC, do you sense anything?
MC: Just now, yeah. There's more towards the festival plaza!
Tsuneaki: Did Gammei call? No wait, it's faster if we just go there!
Kouki: I've tried, but he isn't picking up! Sorry MC, I'll run ahead! Sirius!
Sirius: Bark!
Kouki rides Sirius (somehow) and speeds off!

Tsuneaki: There'll be other Operators watching and keeping Gammei's hero form on, so he should be able to fight. If he isn't calling, maybe he's already fighting.
There's screaming in the distance! Also, cheering?

Later
MC: Okay we're here! Are the townspeople okay? What's going on with the Monster...?
MC looks around. Kouki and Gammei are fighting Monsters and Possessed Mikoshi in the center while Sirius is guarding the civilians. Also the civilians are cheering rather than running to safety and it's Gammei who's responding to them.

Gammei: HAHAHA, you Monsters are losers! Come at me if you think you can actually fight worth a damn!
Rando A: YEAAAAHHH
Gammei actually sits on a mikoshi Monster and takes a drink!

Gammei: Hey, freaks! How about you siddown and have a drink and stop eating people, goddammit?
Monster: REEEEE
The Monster tries throwing Gammei off to eat him! But it only made him spill his drink...

Kouki: Look out, Gammei!
Gammei jumps off and dodges some other Monster's attack! Then he swings his matoi (Edo period Fire Alert Sign) Parallel Weapon like a bat and knocks a Monster out of the park!

Monster: reeeEEEE
Sirius: Bark!
The Monster goes flying at Sirius, who finishes it off and explodes it into light dust!

Kouki: Gammei, think of where you're hitting those things!
Gammei: Oh shaddup. Sirius sorted that out, didn't he? You have a Good Boy in your family, but you're a dependable kid too. So smart, you guys.
Kouki: Oh god how much did you drink!? We're still working here!
Gammei tried to throw an arm around Kouki's shoulders. Kouki however slips away from the booze smell.
Gammei: Pfffft, it ain't that much...
The second Gammei starts stumbling around, the Monsters attack! Gammei swings back!

MC: This cannot be cool / I'm impressed he can fight while drunk / I'mma take a video for myself
(C) Tsuneaki: (Pfff) MC, no (snrk) this isn't the time for oh hell I can't even finish that sentence! Hahaha!

Tsuneaki: Really, what the hell happened while we were gone? How mad ARE the townspeople to stay and watch and cheer instead of running!?
MC: I can't keep up with this. Anyways, we need to get the people out of here!
Tsuneaki: I'll ask the festival president to help with that. MC...
Tsuneaki: Uh, it might be hard to operate like this, but good luck!
MC: You're enjoying this / Is Gammei okay? / Good luck, Kouki!
Gammei is out of it as one might expect. Kouki is concerned as he opens up communications.

Kouki: What should we do? All Gammei is thinking of is kicking Monster butt! We're trying our best to cover the townspeople but--ahh!
Gammei: OOF
Gammei got knocked down by a mikoshi Monster!

Kouki: Gammei, are you okay!?
Gammei: Heeey, this thing is moving faster now.
Kouki: Wait, we should work together!
Gammei: Then you better keep up! I know I look drunk off my ass but I haven't forgotten what I'm here to do. Either one of us takes the Monster down, or we both do! Tsuneaki might be a useless dumbass, but he can still help move people away at least, right?
MC: Gammei... / You heard all that? / So, you trust us?
Gammei: Starting picking, Kouki!
Kouki thinks back to last night.

Tsuneaki: Why is it that you only have two choices?
Present

Kouki: ...fiiiine, I'll work with you, you stupid old man.
MC: Kouki we are on camera!
Kouki: It's cool, MC. I'll be real, now and always. I'm Kouki Inukura, hero of Neo Talents! Who cares about some dumb internet mob!?
Reminder that we're live on camera. Kouki doesn't give a damn.

Kouki: Old man! Sirius! I'll take point, so let's take the Monster down together!
Gammei: Damn, you got guts kid. Right, I'll help!
Sirius: Bark!
Kouki charges, blades in hand!

BATTLE START

No comments:

Post a Comment