Saturday, August 5, 2023

Live A Hero Rakusai Travelogue Episode 2 (Abridged)

Decades ago in Shinraku...
Space Onmyouji: Yeah the townspeople here are HUGE assholes to outsiders. That's just how attached to the area they are, I guess? I like this place too for that matter. Like, this mansion has been around for centuries now. But as much as I like this place, I also care about the new things coming in. Our family job was to read the stars, the earth's pulse, and the tracks of the people. Everything is always changing and--oh am I losing you? Oh no I don't hate you! Don't pout, okay? Yeah my friends all know how long-winded and boring I am. Still, you wanna hear the rest? Okay, next time! It's the space age with aliens coming in now, and it's time for children having your problems to start up. How would you turn out if you took my teachings, Tsuneaki?

Present
Kouki: Why did you do that!?
Tsuneaki: What do you care? We were never gonna get along.
Kouki: You can't say for sure yet! I mean, we're different races but--
Tsuneaki: If you can compromise, sure. But what if I don't want to? Go pick a side already, kid.
Kouki: DAMMIT
Director: Cut! Good job everybody!
Kouki relaxes. Tsuneaki casually walks up for a handshake.

Tsuneaki: Wow, great acting there Kouki! I'm so happy I can work with you.
Kouki: It's no big deal! Thank you for teaching me so much!
The camera crew cleans up. Gammei and MC walk in.

MC: Huh, Kouki? Is our co-op the guy next to him?

Gammei: Yeah. Tsuneaki's an actor and TV star based around Kyoto, so the fastest way to get in contact with him was getting another actor to help. Major agencies are seriously crazy though. They got Tsuneaki's schedule in no time flat...and if he's proven to be unrelated to the case, we'll let him get on with the filming.
MC: So we're just gonna jump right in? / Are we talking to Kouki first? / I'll talk to the hot older guy!
---
(C) Gammei: What? Don't go flirting with him, god.
---
Gammei: You know Kouki, right? Pretend you're here on a trip. I'll talk to Tsuneaki, but it'll look unnatural if we both go at once, so you go first.

Later
MC: Hey Kouki, nice acting! / Nice outfit!
---
(AB) Kouki: Hello, MC! Thank for for coming all this way to watch after it's been so long!
(C) Kouki: Golly, thanks! It was made for this show, so I'm glad to hear that!
---
Kouki is treating MC like they're a fan.

MC: ...huh? / Wait are we on camera? / Are you okay?
---
(A) Kouki: What? Is something on my face?
(B) Kouki: No, we just finished. You could've watched if they kept going.
(C) Kouki: What do you mean? Does something seem wrong with me?
---
Kouki: Oh I'm sorry. Could you give me a moment? I need to greet the director and crew now!
MC has seen what Kouki's like off camera, but he's still acting like he's on camera as he runs off. MC then turns to Sirius.
MC: What's wrong with him? Have you seen anything, Sirius? / Good boy!
---
(AB) Sirius: Bark? (looks confused)
(C) Sirius: Bark bark! (excited barking)
---
Welp, Kouki must not have changed much then.

Meanwhile, Gammei walks up to Tsuneaki.
Gammei: Hi, nice to meet you!
Tsuneaki: Oh, a fan? I'm so glad to meet a fellow older guy.
Gammei: Hey I'm still 30 years--whatever. I'm glad I could see you. This is sudden, but I wanted to ask--
Tsuneaki: You wanna know more about me? Okay! I'm Tsuneaki Toshuku, 40 years old, single and have no standards!
Gammei: No wait I'm here about Shinrak--
Tsuneaki: Shinraku is awesome! Old Japan aesthetic with present day tech for an elegant city and kind people! Great views with meals. Wanna go out for dinner with me?
Tsuneaki is getting very into Gammei's space.

Gammei: U-uh...I'm trying to talk about the case here in Shin--
Tsuneaki: Case? What case? This ol' man got an offer from Neo Talents, and now a fan came all the way to see me on location!
Gammei: SHUT UP AND LET ME SPEAK

Tsuneaki: Oof. You a tsundere or something?
Gammei: Ugh, I can't take it anymore, just answer my questions. You're Tsuneaki Toshuku, right? You've been spotting going around town a lot. You know about the spiriting away rumors?
Tsuneaki: Damn, you flip moods on a dime! Well, better than being formal and all that jazz. But yeah I know about the spiriting away thing. Did you hear the ghost mikoshi slips in during the festival commotion to kidnap people? The locals are, like, so done with the rumors. They're driving the tourists away, man.
Gammei: (previous episode flashback!)
Gammei: ...you sure know a lot about that, 'cause I never heard that part until now.
Tsuneaki: Whoops! Well you know how these rumors spread and change. I just told you about what I saw.
Gammei: Wait you SAW this!?

Tsuneaki: Yep! But just for a second. Just passed by and saw a mikoshi in a back alley with someone near it. There was a scream, I went to check, and poof! Nothing there anymore. Scary, man. And no one believes me! They just say "who" and now we got a new urban legend on our hands...
Gammei: (...sounds like a Monster, but why isn't he saying that? Did he not see the attack itself? Or was it not a Monster type that appears around Earth much? Can't tell if he's lying then, but it's weird he's bringing up a victim if he's behind the attack. He'd have to be a hero or Observer to remember them. Is he really just some witness?)
Tsuneaki: ...you okay? I mean, I did just tell you something out of a ghost story but still you're taking it seriously, man. You know something, Gammei or whatever? It'd help if you could do something...
Gammei: (Hmm. What do.)
Gammei: I...

Title Card: Two Masks to Wear

Director: Hey Kouki, nice acting. Sucks about that article, huh?
Kouki: Ha ha, yes I never expected anyone to write that about me...
Flashback to some time before UEHA filed for help from Neo Talents!

Kouki: WHAT
Kouki's in a car looking at some magazine. "Child Actor Behind The Camera A Goblin!"

Kouki: "Actor K. I. secretly a giant brat"!?
Magazine: "The filthy mouth on that boy ordering us around and yelling..." Witness A
Magazine: "That agency running him has no control over him!" Witness B
Kouki: I never ordered anyone around! And I never yelled! ...maybe.
Manager: It's okay. Everyone who knows you knows it's fake news, but...the pictures they have look convincing to regular people. Maybe one of our competitor agencies is trying to sabotage you.
Kouki: ...sorry my mouthing off got us into this mess.
Manager: Nah, it's not your fault someone wrote libel about us! We got this covered, you don't have to worry. Our lawyers are totally gonna show them how terribad their attempt was!
The manager starts detailing the agency's plan to deal with this, but Kouki still blames himself.

Kouki: (...I'm a jerk for bothering Hitomi and the other actors in the agency. I knew haters being jealous would be a thing, but dang I underestimated them. My manager says I can be myself, but...which self?)

Present
Kouki: I trust everyone, so I'm not worried.
Kouki's still playing the polite boy because he might be watched outside.

Director: Well if you say so...see you next set.
Kouki: Yes, thank you!
Kouki walks back to MC and Sirius.

Kouki: Sorry to keep you and Sirius waiting, MC!
MC: Umm--
Visual noise! EEEEVIL!

Rando: AAAAA
MC: What / Monster! / Let's go, Kouki!
---
(AB) Kouki: We have to check it out, Sirius! MC, please help too!
(C) Kouki: Yes! Come on, Sirius!
---
Sirius: BARK
Kouki talks to some agency staff nearby and gets some drone cameras running. MC heads for the scream and turns on Kouki's transformation through their phone.

Back Alley
Shinraku Rando: HELP
Monsters: REEEEE
Kouki: Sirius!
Sirius: BARK
Kouki throws a frisbee! Sirius chases it and tackles a Monster saving the rando!

Kouki: Are you okay? Run!
Sirius: Bark bark!
Gammei and Tsuneaki are running in from the other end!

MC: Gammei! That guy is--
Gammei: Explain later! Transform me now so we can deal with the Monsters!
MC: Right, execute!
Gammei, suited up!

Tsuneaki: Is that Kouki? Huh.
Kouki: Tsuneaki!? Never mind, keep back for now please!
Gammei: What he said! And take that rando with you! Okay Monsters, time for me to earn my paycheck protect the city!
BATTLE START (more happens later)

Earlier
Gammei: ...I--
Rando: AAAAA
Gammei: What? Sorry Mr. Toshoku but--
Tsuneaki: Eh, Tsuneaki is fine. I know what you're going to say: you wanna save whoever screamed but can't leave me alone, right? Of course I'll go with you if it clears me of suspicion!
Gammei: What? You knew I was an inspector to begin with!? ...oh whatever, talk later! And no funny busines out of you!
Tsuneaki: Wow, it's like I'm really in a police drama!
And then Gammei heads to where he saw MC and Kouki went. Tsuneaki follows along. Battle happened, and now we're back up to speed.

Tsuneaki: Good job guys, good job!
Gammei: You shut up! ...you okay?
Tsuneaki: Woooow, you flip tacks fast. Oh, a new face! Hi, I'm old man Tsuneaki Toshuku.
MC: I'm MC, nice to meet you. / uhh...
---
(C) Tsuneaki: It's cool, I'm not suspicious or anything! I'm cast mates with Kouki and I...uh, literally just met Gammei today!
---
Tsuneaki: Here's to us being good friends!
Meanwhile, Gammei is checking on the rando and asking what happened.

Rando: I took a shortcut to get to where we were preparing for the festival when a mikoshi was left there and--wait where'd it go? I swear it was there.
Nope, nothing like that around here.

Kouki: Did the mikoshi have...um, legs?
Rando: Yeah some of the ones we have are just like that instead of the normal ones with poles.
Kouki: ...then I saw it earlier while we were still fighting.
Gammei: Wait...
MC: It's gone? Is that what the ghost mikoshi is all about!?
Tsuneaki: This is just like that other spiriting away I saw!
Kouki: You already saw something!?
Tsuneaki: Yeah! I was just talking about it with uh...Gammei! I didn't see a mikoshi here so I dunno though. Gammei, you think I'm one of those...suspects or something, right?
Gammei: I don't get you...but yeah, you're a person of interest. And I guess you're gonna say you aren't involved because you were with me when the Monster appeared?
Tsuneaki: Nah, I was never involved to begin with! I just heard the rumors, but dang I didn't think I'd be suspected of causing all this.

Gammei: Liar. You said you'd be coming with me if it got you cleared of suspicion earlier.
Tsuneaki: Wow you're sharp--I mean, I figured you suspected me of something as soon as I met you. You think you're smooth, but you are like so unnatural with your acting.
Gammei: OOF! Shut up!
Tsuneaki: Anyways, yeah that was when I figured you suspected me. Kouki, tell him I'm just a normal actor!
Kouki: Umm...I don't know you that well either so...I don't think I can help.
Tsuneaki: Oh no! Aww geez aww heck what do I do? ...oh! Is this the part where you take me to a private room and...interrogate me?
Gammei: Goddammit.
Tsuneaki is totally playing the victim, except he's not really selling how bad he's got it.

MC: He's sus / He's funny / Hot sweaty dilf types are awesome
(B) Tsuneaki: Nooo, stop treating me like some new movie character and help me!
(C) Tsuneaki: Am I imagining it or is some young thing looking at me disrespectfully? Still got it! ...but save it for later and help me!

Gammei: God I never expected him to be so cagey and hard to talk to...
MC: He doesn't seem bad, but we can't let him be, so what now Gammei?
If Tsuneaki is telling the truth, he needs to be kept safe. If he's lying, then he can't be left to do whatever. Either way he needs an eye on him.

Gammei: Ugh, fiiiine. You help our investigation, and I won't treat you like a criminal.
Tsuneaki: Really? Yay! So how do I help? I can guide you since I've lived here forever.
Kouki: ...that's great, Tsuneaki. Filming's done, but I'm happy to work with you again.
Sirius: bark!
Gammei: Well, let's go back to the inn. I'm gonna need to rent another room...
Tsuneaki: Ooh, ooh, which inn? Isn't it great how classy all the inns are?
Gammei: SHUT UP
Kouki and Tsuneaki joined the party!

Kouki: (frown)
End of Episode

No comments:

Post a Comment