Sunday, August 13, 2023

Live A Hero Rakusai Travelogue Episode 3 (Abridged)

Kouki is standing Somewhere in Shinraku, waiting for someone. A lady comes up, all foggy and indistinct, but Kouki knows who she is.
Kouki: Mom!
Suddenly, faceless phantoms whispering!

Kouki: Hey! Get away from Mom and stop telling her fake news!
Kouki tries to keep his Mom from listening to them.

Mom?: My son can't be someone so rude and mouthy.
The faceless phantoms disappear.

MC: Kouki? / Wake up! / (shake Kouki)
Kouki: AHH! Huh? ...the inn?

Yeah, Kouki was dreaming. We're at the point where the party went to bed after checking their plans. Kouki asked to room with MC so he could stop acting at all for a second.
MC: Are you okay? You were mumbling a lot. (offers water)
Kouki: Thanks. I was just dreaming...
Yup. Just a dream. Just all his stresses and emotions blowing up from his subconscious the moment he closes his eyes.

Kouki: I can't believe that gossip rag shit is bugging me all the way into my dreams!
MC: That was awful... / Tell us how you really feel! / People outside are gonna hear.
(A) Kouki: Oh, you saw it too? Yeah... lies and slander!
(B) Kouki: ...nah, someone outside could hear me. This sucks!
(C) Kouki: UGH having to think about all this sucks!

Kouki: Fine! Stress eating time!
MC: I brought you breakfast. That'd be easier, right? Should I call Gammei and Tsuneaki over?
Kouki: Oh, thanks MC! But let's not call them over yet. I only just met Tsuneaki, so he hasn't seen me off camera. So please...let's keep it this way until it's time to go.
MC: Okay / Tee hee, you can be such a kid
---
(C) Kouki: You'll never hear the end of it if you tell anyone.
---
Kouki: Ooh, what's the inn's food like? They even made food for Sirius. Remind me to thank Gammei later for setting this up...why are you staring at me?
MC: Thanks for relying on me / I'm glad you aren't holding it all in. You can talk to me if you want.
---
(A) Kouki: You're weird. But...thanks.
(BC) Kouki: Hey! Stop treating me like a kid! I know I can talk to you if I need to! ...I mean, I do trust you and all.
---
And so Kouki and MC spent some time together. Once Kouki is done, he puts his polite boy self back on again.

Later
The party regroups in Gammei and Tsuneaki's room.

Tsuneaki: Hey y'all, welcome to Shinraku! I'm your guide, Tsuneaki~!
Gammei: Yeah yeah, now guide us to the crime scene already.
Tsuneaki: Aww, you're no fun...but I know this is serious business. Anyways, you meant where I saw the ghost mikoshi? Not like I had any other ideas.
Gammei: Yeah. If we run into Monsters along the way, we'll have to kick their asses.
Kouki: Please lead the way, Tsuneaki!
Sirius: bark!

Outside
Tsuneaki: Okay, this should be it. And now that I think about it...
Gammei: It's close to where yesterday's Monster attack was. It must be a Monster then!
MC: I don't sense anything now. Are mikoshi Monsters a thing? (looks around)
Gammei: Eh, there's all kinds of Monsters. One looking like a Monster would have an easier time attacking people.
Tsuneaki: Sounds like a predator. Think it could camouflage itself like a chameleon too?
Kouki: But MC just said they didn't sense anything.
Gammei: (Hmm. Or the Monster could just jump to a parallel world and hide. If Tsuneaki isn't bringing it up, is doing so a problem for him? Or does he not know that's a thing?)
Gammei: ...we should investigate some more.
Tsuneaki: Yeah. It might just be a coincidence instead of a big case happening...

Some street
Rando: Oh no, don't talk about the rumor! People are already staying away and this is the first time we've heard of someone disappearing! Why did this have to happen now...? Are the neighbors involved?
Random rants from randos en route to reaching out to the truth.

MC: who
Rando: The people in the next city over. Always looking down on us.
Kouki: You mean, Kyoto?
Rando: Yep. They never join in on our festival. They just heckle us for being immigrants, been doing so for 100 years now.
Gammei: ...so this isn't just a personal level thing.
Gammei looks serious.

Rando: We're really trying to integrate into Earth and Japan! But all they got to say is "whatever, don't talk to me, bitch."
Tsuneaki: (stares)
The rando finally walks off.

MC: Huh...so, they're arguing with the neighbors? What happened?
Kouki: Do other Shinraku people feel the same way?
Tsuneaki: Unfortunately, yeah. Shinraku's got some interesting history to its founding back when Monsters first started appearing on Earth. The older the residents, the bigger the racism.
Gammei: Really? I could never see that happening in Orient City. Is it just one way?
Tsuneaki: No, both ways. Can't get into it here though. You can talk to Kyotoites if you're interested, but I don't recommend it.
Gammei: I'm not feeling up to sticking my nose into everyone's business, but I might find clues if I do though...
MC: Let's try going, Gammei / Kouki, you okay? / Tsuneaki, are you alright...?
(A) Gammei: Right. But Tsuneaki, would it be bad for you to be there?
Tsuneaki: Oh my god are you actually worried about me???
(B) Kouki: I'm fine, thank you for worrying. But Tsuneaki...
Tsuneaki: Aww, are you worrying about meee?
(C) Tsuneaki: Aww, you're so nice MC~

Tsuneaki: ...okay sorry I'll take this more seriously, so you can stop staring at me now. So I'll be fine if I go, but I think they'll open up if there ISN'T someone from Shinraku with you. I can wait elsewhere, but are you okay with leaving me on my own yet?
Gammei: Hmm. I'll go ask around in Kyoto alone then.
Tsuneaki: Hey, isn't this the part where you say "okay, but only for now"!?
Gammei: You haven't done a damn thing to make yourself less guilty looking, so you better be happy I'm even letting you out of my sights! Sorry you two, stay with him and call me if anything happens.
MC: Tsuneaki's cool / I'll look after Kouki / I have an alarm
(A) Tsuneaki: Aww, you believe me? Thank yo--wait, is your plan having Kouki transform and beat me up if I try anything funny!?
(B) Kouki: Thank you, MC. Sirius and I will protect you too.
Tsuneaki: Could y'all stop assuming I'll try pulling something?
(C) Tsuneaki: Why? ...one of your friends gave it to you earlier? What?

Tsuneaki: Meh, fine. Since there's no restrictions on what to do, how about we all hang out at a cafe you guys?
Gammei: Is he not bothered at all? Ugh, whatever. Better that than getting jerked around everywhere.
And so the party takes a train north. Gammei heads off to do his thing while everyone else goes to a cafe.
Kouki: Is it really that bad if someone from Shinraku makes them not want to talk?
Tsuneaki: Well, less hands throwing and more refusing to listen. How about a history lesson?
Elsewhere
Old Lady A: Ghost rumors? In Shinraku? Meh, even if it's real who cares?
Gammei: (She's heard but she's playing dumb. Damn, they hate Shinraku people that much?)
Gammei: Sorry about bringing up something weird, I just came in from out of town. On that note, what's your damage with Shinraku?
Old Lady A: (slight hesitation) Them immigrants squatting on that empty land. Lots of us think that 'round here.
Gammei: Wait, so Shinraku is...
Old Lady A: Right, you got it. Did you have to make me say it? Now let me tell you a story from my old uncle when I was a little girl...

Title Card: Three Walks Searching for Mikoshi

Cafe
Tsuneaki: So like way back when? The land Shinraku was on was razed by a Monster. It used to be famous for sake, but then it all got destroyed. The world was really busy with all the crises happening, so rebuilding got pushed back on the agenda. There was nothing to build with and no money to buy materials with, so most cities just stayed stomped into the ground...so our ancestors figured they might as well fix it themselves.
MC: what
Kouki: ...isn't that a good thing?
Tsuneaki: For some people. But the world's complicated so there were other people who didn't think so.
Wherever in Kyoto
Old Lady A: Those alien weebs moved in and copied Japanese architecture and made Shinraku. They wanted to remake things, so they bought the land. It's not like they did any crimes in making it happen. Maybe they even thought they were helping rebuild the country. Not like that stops some people from resenting them and having to sell the land they lived on for generations to start their lives over.

Cafe
Tsuneaki: The Kyotoites think the aliens who moved in as the people who took away their chance to rebuild their homes.
MC: ...oh / That happened...? / (stay quiet)
---
(A) Tsuneaki: Sorry you two. This depressing stuff would've been better off only locals knew about.
(B) Tsuneaki: Yeah, it's old news to you guys. And I get why you'd wanna talk about it.
---
Kouki: (frown)
Tsuneaki: So I said this happened a hundred years ago, but...
Old Lady's home or something

Old Lady A: It's not like we WANT to keep hating on Shinraku folks. Even if everyone who was there is dead now, there's still people here bitching about their lost futures. And sometimes a hundred years isn't enough for old grudges and racism to die out.
Gammei frowns.

Old Lady A: ...anyways, whatever happens in Shinraku should stay in Shinraku.
The old lady looks away. She knows how awful she sounds.

Gammei: ...I sort of know how you feel, lady. I'm from Chiba.
Old Lady A: Past Minami Kanto? Oof, life was hard for you.
Gammei: Yeah. Monsters cut the place off into no man's land. No one came to attack us, but no one came to help either. The government sent supplies sometimes, and also a ton of papers suggesting we move out. Not many people wanted to. It wasn't our fault things got the way they did. We knew they meant well, but it felt like they were trying to take our homes away.
Old Lady A: ...yeah. It's why we never got over it and moved on. Whatever we chose to do didn't involve the neighbors, good or bad. It's how we coexisted.
The old lady smiles in thanks at Gammei.

Gammei: Thanks for telling me. Sorry to keep you so long.
Gammei calls the party to regroup. Everyone heads to the station and goes back to Shinraku.

Later
Gammei: I hate thinking about it, but you were right about both sides having their opinions, Tsuneaki.
Tsuneaki: You met someone good, huh? There be some racists who don't know a thing of the past. But yeah, that's how Shinraku and Kyoto relations are.
Gammei: No, the lady I met said they don't involve themselves with Shinraku, so it's probably not about the land dispute thing. Both sides came to a settlement, so there's no reason for any locals to try wiping the others with Monsters if they're in agreement.
Kouki: But Monsters are uncontrollable...right MC?
MC: Yeah, far as I know.
Tsuneaki: Oh...no clues then. And here I was, hoping we'd find the culprit quick and prove my innocence. Hello, whoever you are come out and confess you did it, thanks~! Kidding.
Static. EEEVIL!
MC: ...Monster alert! Tsuneaki!?

Tsuneaki: NO WAIT NOT NOW WHILE IT'D LOOK LIKE ME
Gammei: Stop messing with us you stupid cat! Ugh, first the Monster. Kouki, put this on! MC, transform me!
Gammei gives the Parallel Cue plot device to Kouki and tells him about the variant search function it has. Kouki puts it on.

Phone: Compatible reference vision Path detected. Connect?
MC: It's finally working / Hope it helps... / Execute!
Click. Blue light covers Gammei and Kouki... Ta-da! Variant Gammei and Kouki!

Kouki: Wow, this looks just like the festival clothes the townspeople are wearing! Nice!
Gammei: It worked to order. Reminds me of the festival coats I used to wear back home. Hisaki and Crowne did great, but so did Maculata on the designing.
Kouki: She did!? Oh...
Gammei and Kouki check their stuff out. Tsuneaki looks different for a second.

Tsuneaki: >:|
Tsuneaki: Like oh my god you guys are wearing totally different suits! Heroes can do that!?
MC: Not really / So there's this inventor and... / They have two more forms!
(B) Gammei: Don't tell him! Let's go!
(C) Gammei: Stop joking! Let's go!

The party heads over to where MC senses the Monster! It's in some back alley about to eat someone!
Sirius: Bark bark!
The shrine rope shoots blades of light at the Monster!

Monster: REEEEE
Sirius pulls a blade out and runs back to Kouki.

Rando: AHH! Why's the mikoshi moving!?
Kouki: It's the ghost mikoshi I saw before!
Tsuneaki: It's the same one I saw too, Gammei!
Gammei: You got some talking to do after we kill it!
Kouki: Sirius, protect that civilian. Gammei and I will take the Monster down!
Sirius: Bark!
BATTLE START
(more happens after)

Monster: LOVELYYYY (poof)
Gammei: Is it dead now? Cool. Hey you, you okay? You don't seem hurt.
Rando: Y-yeah, thanks. But why is a Monster turning into one of our mikoshi again!? Is that stupid rumor--
Gammei: (puts a hand on rando's shoulder) Sorry, the town bosses asked us to keep it quiet. Could you not tell anyone for now?
Tsuneaki: They're heroes here to solve the spiriting away case. But since they just beat the Monster, maybe that'll stop things?
Kouki: It would be nice...we should look around just in case. Excuse me, have you heard of any other mikoshi lying around?
The rando sighs and relaxes.

Rando: No...but I see a bunch of mikoshi in places where there aren't any plans in place. When I go call for people to help move them, they're gone when I come back.
MC: So it's not just the one? Case still open...
Gammei: MC, sense anything?
Observer senses, go!

MC: ...no, not now.
Gammei: Okay. Let's take this guy home and then do one more sweep.
End of Episode

No comments:

Post a Comment