Saturday, May 20, 2023

Road to Guild Dispatch Part 2 (Abridged)

Quantum: What ARE guilds?
MC: Groupings of friends? / People with shared views / (leave it to Tianzun)
Tianzun: Like parties. They're fun!
MC: Some are scary, like the game managers guild...whatever it is they do.
Tianzun: Ooh, I see someone I can connect with there...but I guess this is also a flaw of mine. I can vibe with anyone, even an Entertainer. But that's why--whoops, never mind! Anyways I recommend you check a bunch of things out!
Quantun: (cocks head) Umm, what kind of guilds are there? I can help by showing you previously unknown possibilities.
MC: Okay / U-uh, thanks / Anyways...
MC picks up a form.

Quantum: The Berserkers? What are they like?
Tianzun: Battle freaks with an underground arena.
Quantum: ...what kind of people choose to go into a small, boxed off place where they might live or die?
MC: Now now, let's trying thinking what it'd be like to go there.

Catbox activate!
Ikebukuro Colosseum

Quantum: ...wow, everyone's into strength here. It seems nice to have something to focus on so hard...
Oniwaka: Huh? Whatcha doing here, kitty? There's some bad lookin' dudes around here so you shouldn't--hey where'd you go?
Quantum: Oh! I stand out here, so I might be noticed more here... (bump)
Macan: WHOMST
Quantum: AAAAAA
Oniwaka runs over while Quantum runs away.

Oniwaka: Hey Macan, see a little cat girl about yay high?
Macan: Yeah, but bruh...is that what you're into? They'll call the cops on you.
Oniwaka: Shut the fuck up!
Macan: Make me, haha!

Colosseum Hallway
Quantum: Oh my god it's beef everywhere!
Ikutoshi: Huh? You lost?
Quantum: Oh I didn't know this guild had children like you too.
Ikutoshi: I'm NOT a kid, thanks. I'm a legit ranker!
Bathym: Oooh, hi Ikky~! Wanna spar?
Ikutoshi: Hm? Oh, okay then. (poof! Big Ikutoshi!) No holding back on me! I have something I wanted to try!
Quantum: !?!?!?
Bathym and Ikutoshi start sparring. Quantum runs off.

Ikutoshi: Oh wait, right! Don't go that way because there's this crazy stro--huh? Hey Bathym, did you see the girl that was just here?
Bathym: what girl

Some room
Quantum: Aww, I thought I found someone I could just talk to...
Cthugha: Someone there? (walks out) Oh! No wait, I'm not scary or anything!
Quantum: Who are you? Are you part of this guild?
Cthugha: Yep! Uh, I'm Cthugha, the Berserkers' super special invincible secret weapon!
Quantum: You're funny. You seem so strong but you seem so afraid of me.
Cthugha: H-hey, I haven't talked to anyone in forever!
The TV goes off and Cthugha gets excited by it.

Cthugha: Wow, go off Bathym! Didja see that?
Quantum: ...aren't you going to join them?
Cthugha: I did, once...then I blew up the whole place. They told me not to go to the arena since.

Quantum: ...aren't they tricking you? You have battle worth and--
Cthugha: Yes, I know I'm stupid but I know that much! But I'm still glad for everything since every other guild kicked me out. And I can still go out and talk to everyone, I just can't join the arena. Then again I'm too afraid to leave my room...
Quantum: ...oh, sorry. I didn't know.
Cthugha: I-it's cool! I'm glad to have someone to talk to! Were you all alone like I was!?
Quantum: Oh...hehe, sort of.
Cthugha: Ooh! Ooh! Then--
SLAM

Ikutoshi: Hey Cthugha, did you see this cat girl?
Oniwaka: Kitty, come out! It's all cool! There's way worse than me, and I can show you around if you want!
Ikutoshi: ...you actually think that'll work?
Cthugha: Oh my god??? I'd have brought out snacks if I knew there'd be so many people coming!
Ikutoshi: Oh, she DID come here. Where'd she go next?
Cthugha: What? She's right over h--
No she's not.

Cthugha: Nooo, I didn't even get to ask her name! I was about to make a new friend!

Classroom
MC: And that's what they're like. Why are you spacing out?
Quantum: ...mm. Oh, sorry. I was a little tired from running around.
MC: Wow, your imagination is amazing. So what'd you think of the Berserkers?
Quantum: ...well I don't like how dark and violent it is down there, but I also saw that they weren't all meatheads. The people in that box were really nice, so it's not as bad as I'd think. (Also I'm already like maybe alive maybe dead.)
Tianzun: Well spotted. That's what having a group that brings different people with the same views together is like. There's less you can do alone than the young may think, and people helping each other makes the world bigger. It's harder than I make it sound.
Quantum: ...you must've seen a lot. So are you going to choose the Berserkers, MC?
MC: Dunno
Quantum: Right, there's still a lot of forms. And I'm getting interested in seeing what other guilds there are.
MC: Let's go with this one next.

Quantum: The Outlaws? I can already guess, but what are they like?
Tianzun: Thugs who don't have a home for some reason or other. But the Tao takes many forms, with many different beliefs. Also their festivals are great!
Quantum: Huh. What would it be like if I joined them? Hmm...
MC: Oh look she did it again. Like she's dissociating and sending her soul off.
Tianzun: (speaking quieter) MC, take my hand. We're going after her.
MC: what
Tianzun: The Tao is the chi in all things, and she has gone to a potential branch path. We're going to follow her down that path, but we have to be touching and you can't let go. Got it?
MC: Sus / Is there some other way...? / Okay!
---
(A) Tianzun: You don't like it? But everyone would be happy to join with the Tao!
(B) Tianzun: Yes, but I can't do them now...
(C) Tianzun: Ooh, you're fast. I could teach you more if you join the Taoshis!
---
Tianzun: Ready? Close your eyes and focus.

Tsukuyomi's bar
Tsukuyomi: What a cute customer! Drinks, boys!
Quantum: Wait what? I wasn't...!
Gyoubu: A new cat girl. I see our emperor likes you.
Quantum: But I didn't even do anything!
Gyoubu: Hah, we have our ways...oh, you seem to be hiding some sort of pain. The emperor--and the rest of us really--are sweet on people like you. (pours out some juice brought over)
Quantum: Oh, sorry...and thank you.
Gyoubu: Enjoy yourself. I can step in for the emperor and talk with you instead. Excuse us if you find things unsatisfactory. So...want to talk about what's on your mind? I could help, I've been around a while.
Quantum: Oh, I'm not dissatisfied. Hardly anyone ever talks with me. I guess I can talk with yo--
(suddenly notices MC and then a bunch of hosts waiting on her)

MC: Wow, we really came? Is this Quantum's imagination? No wait...

Quantum: Excuse me, you can't just intrude into people's fantasies! Also it's not like I like this sort of thing or anything! I just thought this was how it was based on what you told me!
Gyoubu: Milord? When'd you learn such sorcery? I'm impressed you could surprise me like that.
MC: Yay, Gyoubu! / Where's everyone else? / He did it
---
(A) Gyoubu: Haha, I'm glad to see you too. I'm also a little embarrassed you came straight to me.
(B) Gyoubu: They're busy setting up the Hanashizume Festival. They kicked me out of it and over here...
(C) Gyoubu: Huh. He must be amazing, whoever he is.
---
Quantum: ...why are you two holding hands? Didn't you two just meet?
Tianzun: Details! We just get along! Isn't that good enough?
Quantum: ...that's not an explanation. And MC, speak up if you don't like it.
MC: Side benefits! / I was half forced into this / Are you jealous?
(A) Quantum: Well okay then
(B) Tianzun: NO WAIT I ALREADY EXPLAINED HOW THIS WORKS
(C) Quantum: N-no! I have standards!

Gyoubu: You folks sure are friendly. So, why are you three here?
MC explains about how they're looking into guild alliances and that Quantum is unaffiliated.

Gyoubu: Oh, I see. Shino's been worked up about something too. Suzuka and Tetsuya would never breathe a word of it, but they'd be happy if you joined. As would I, but give it some thought. (chews on leaf)
Gyoubu: You'd be welcome here too if you desire, little lady. No promises on safety or stability, but we'll help if you want to be here.
Quantum: ...thank you, umm...Gyoubu. But I--
Gyoubu: It doesn't need to be decided now. You must have other choices, so think about what you want. I'll always be right here.
Gyoubu is immediately called elsewhere in the shop and sighs about it. Quantum nods, holding back tears.
Gyoubu: Apologies, I'll be back soon.

Closing the catbox!
MC: So what'd you think of the Outlaws? (Wow it felt like we were really there)
Quantum: Hmm, different than I expected. Scary, but nice to the outcast and forgotten...
Quantum still looks scared.
Quantum: Maybe I should stop. Going somewhere new seems frightening...actually, deciding for myself is what's frightening. It was always someone else doing it before.
Tianzun: In that case, say no and move onto the next one.
Quantum: What?
Tianzun: Let me tell you something: everyone's afraid of deciding things for themselves. It's just not the end of the world to do so. Your path goes on forever, even after death.
Quantum: (stares)
Tianzun: You're shutting yourself in possibilities. If you don't have the courage to step outside your box's boundaries, you'll never see what's outside.

Tianzun: There are things to learn in the fear of the unknown, same for me. The Tao is hard for everyone to see, even mine. It's why I spent a lot of time far away until someone who could see it right away appeared.
Quantum: ...but not everyone can do that. Isn't that just survivor's bias?
Tianzun: ...yes. But it's still possible for you. For every possible failure, a possible success. Maybe you'll find them and make them happen. Go on, go out on a limb.
Quantum stares respectfully.

Tianzun: Never stop moving forward. The world is as big as you make it. Some may lost sight of themselves, but there are some who will find themselves again if they look. But that's all just me rambling. How about you say something now?
MC: Don't just dump this on me!
Tianzun: Not you. Him. (points at Solomon)

Solomon: WHAT! You can see me!?
Tianzun: Yes, this whole time
Solomon: I thought I was imagining things when we made eye contact!
Quantum: That's NOT some floating magical doll!?
Solomon: WHAT
Quantum: Well I didn't hear you say anything earlier...
MC: WHAT
Quantum: Wait, other people can't see you?
Solomon: Yes, mostly.
Tianzun: You're slightly different from her, but you're mostly the same. But you don't act like you hate the world.
Solomon is acting shy.

Quantum: How can you be okay despite most people acting like you aren't there?
Solomon: Well yeah it makes me sad since I'm not invited to conversations much. Just earlier I stayed quiet and listened to Master's talks to not get in the way. But I'm okay because I have Master!
MC: Oh! / (pet)
Solomon: Nooo, not in front of other people!
Quantum: ...I'm jealous.
Tianzun: Not to repeat myself, but whether you can get anything you want depends on yourself.
MC: Quantum, I still have a bunch of forms. Could you help me?
Quantum looks hesitant at first, but then looks determined.

Quantum: I have something to ask too. Could you tell me about places I could belong to?
Tianzun smiles at Quantum for taking a step towards what she wants.

MC: Sure! Let's take a look!
And so everyone plus Solomon starts going through the papers.

Later, that afternoon
MC: Find anything?
Quantum: It's weird how you started with looking into alliances and went into looking for homes for me. But thanks to that...I've decided.
Tianzun: Already? It doesn't need to be done that quick.
Solomon: Ooh, ooh! Tell us!
Quantum: Okay!
Tianzun: Does that mean you're joining the Taoshis!?
Quantum: Well...I don't know if I'm picking a guild.
Solomon: what
Quantun: I want to take a look at the guild MC is going to. I might go somewhere else since I'm not sure I can decide as I am now. So I'll go with you and go elsewhere if I feel like it.
Tianzun: Haha, okay! Some people change guilds every month!
Quantum: Also, Solomon made me interested in you...is that okay?
MC: Sure!
Solomon: So Master, did you make a choice yet?
Tianzun: The Taoshis, right?
MC: I...
MC declares their choice, and the girl smiles as she imagines a happy coming future.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment