Monday, January 16, 2023

Live A Hero Special Episode: Parallel New Year (Abridged)

Show Staff: Almost time to start, people!
Kirsch: Okay!
Mokdai: Wait, start what!? No wait, I think I got this... (deep breaths)
Mokdai: 1) Special stage. 2) New Year's Hero Prowrestling Stadium. 3) I'm the host... 4) ...WE'RE LIVE...! Oh no, did I pass out from the nerves!?
Kirsch: I know that feel...I've been shaking until just a while ago too. So let's help each other because these things just happen! We all trip!
Mokdai: But tripping up is bad on a live show!
Show Staff: 10 seconds until cameras roll!
MokdaI: Okay I think I have the script in my head! Maybe! Let's do our best!

Later
Kirsch: Hello to everyone on this new year at the Hero Prowrestling Stadium! I'm your host, whatever my hero name is...
Mokdai: A-and Mighty Knuckle!
Kirsch: Let's bring out the stars of the hero side!
Loud cheering! Three heroes come in.

Kirsch: We've got Isaribi, Doctor R, and Hopper the Face!
The three wave to the crowds, followed by their Observers. MC is one of them.

Mokdai: Oh right, MC and Director are doing their best, so I should too!

Kirsch: And now the stadium side heroes! Pfleger L and Polaris Mask!
Polaris Mask: The hero of justice and the brightest star of the north is here, baby!
Kirsch: Wow, listen to all those cheers! So Mighty Knuckle, what can we look forward to today?
Mokdai: U-uh, the rules change every year and the heroes participating are different every time. But Polaris Mask said he picked out heroes who are fighting harder than he is, so that's a good place to put your eyes on! (Yay I didn't bite my tongue!)
Kirsch: Awesome, thanks! Now about this year's rules...
Kirsch pulls out a gadget from the M.C. table.

Kirsch: The winner is the last one standing who still has their special rabbit year bunny ears on!
The crowd is confused! Polaris Mask notices and pulls out his Parallel Weapon, overlaying his energy field wrestling ring over the regular wrestling ring and putting every participant in zero gravity.

Kirsch: Oh look, Polaris Mask's weapon has the power to manipulate gravity within its ring! Let's see how zero gravity affects the fight! We're about to start the match! Mighty Knuckle, ring the bell!
Mokdai: R-right! Begin the match!
And so the gong rings, loudly and slightly off.

BATTLE START (more happens after)

Kirsch: Whoa!
Isaribi: Okay I don't get what's going on, but this field is MY home turf!
Isaribi is flying around like he's fighting against waves.

Polaris Mask: Wow, you aren't a fisherman for nothing!
Isaribi: I got you now! Here it--(trips on apparently nothing)--WHAAA!?
The spotlight shows there's tripwires in the air!

Rakta: A trap I made from suturing threads. Not how they're normally meant to be used of course. I can't attack, but I have a chance under these rules! (swings at Isaribi's bunny ears)
Isaribi: Whoa! (barely dodges the attack)
Polaris Mask: Hey don't forget we're in a battle royale! This might hurt, so get Loren to help you later! (grabs Isaribi)

Kirsch: (gasp!) The Polaris Buster!
Polaris Mask kicks off of...something for what seems to be a zero gravity suplex. Once he gets high above the ring...
Huckle: Hi. Nice jump.
Polaris Mask: !?
Kirsch: Oh my! Hopper the Face used Doctor R's threads as a foothold to jump up after him!
The crowd goes wild! Meanwhile Mokdai still feels like something is wrong.

Mokdai: Something's weird about this...
It's a dream matchup! Hot, sweaty fighting! Heroes duking it out! Lots of very Mokdai-specific subject matters in this situation.

Mokdai: Something's off...but still! I gotta see what Polaris Mask does with my own two eyes and--what?
The crowd goes silent. And then, a voice...

Title Card: Parallel New Year

MC: ...wakey wakey / Mokdai-senpai / Showing off a bit too much of yourself there at work
---
(AB) Mokdai: Bwuh!? What happened to the show I was hosting!?
(C) Mokdai: AAH! Oh no, I shouldn't let my stomach flop out like that. (fixes shirt)
---
This is the dressing room at the back of Parallel Flight for when people have to stay overnight.

Mokdai: Oh, I was dreaming... Kind of a relief, but also kind of a shame. Nice dream though...
MC: What dream were you having? / You were drooling / You seem happy
Mokdai: Well I was hosting a show I wanted to watch with all the people I wanted in there. It was great. Oh, but then again maybe they showed up in there because they're all the people coming in for this morning's thing.
MC: Weren't you shooting a special show on location in town? Thanks for your work on that!
Mokdai: Yeah, Kirsch and I were hosting, but we don't have much hosting experience... Kirsch did great once things started though! And Director Huckle helped a lot too. I just hope the people who wanted to see the heroes don't misunderstand anything about Japanese New Year's...

Flashback!
Huckle: ...wear this for shooting on location?
Kirsch: Apparently...
Huckle is holding bunny ears.

Kirsch: I hear it's based on one of the first heroes to come to Earth...
Loren: Really? These bunny ears?
Mokdai: Far as I know, this is more like some...satin...cloth...thing?
Polaris Mask: Eh, it's cool. I like it!
Isaribi: ...I guess it does look good on you. Did you have ears like that before?
Rakta: Oh, so this is what Japan does for New Year's?
Loren: I don't think so, Doctor. Actual Japanese people around here are staring too...
Present
Mokdai: So then we did our shooting. Lots of people were weirded out by it...
MC: ...huh, someone's at the door? Was anyone supposed to be coming?
Mokdai: Oh! R-right, it's that time! The heroes from this morning said they'd be coming! I gotta get ready!

Later
Isaribi: Hey, you guys! Nice office!
Kirsch: Hi, thanks for having us over!
Huckle: Thank you for coming and for helping our agency members at the program earlier.
Kirsch: No, it's fine. Thanks for supporting my shortcomings as a host...
Isaribi: I thought you did great!
Kirsch: Thanks...I'm glad I was with Mokdai. I'd have freaked out if I had to do it alone...
Mokdai: I'M HERE, sorry I'm late!
Isaribi: Hey again Mokdai!
MC: Nice to meet you. I'm MC. / A...fisherman? / Nice bod!
(A) Isaribi: Yeah, nice meeting ya! I'm Isaribi, a hero from Laborer's Site! I'm also a fisherman, so if there's any fish you want, tell me!
(B) Isaribi: That's me! Isaribi! If you want a really BIG fish, tell me! I'll go to any planet to look for it!
(C) Isaribi: Ooh, good eye! Wanna see more? I'm bigger and even better over here! (starts to take off his coat)
Kirsch: No, Isaribi, stop! Why do you keep trying to take your clothes off when people compliment your body!? You tried to do this at the show earlier too!
Isaribi: Aww, if people wanna see then why not?

MC: Nice to meet you, Kirsch! / Long time no see, Kirsch! / Nice kimono!
---
(A) Kirsch: Nice to meet you! MC, right? I work as a dessert chef in Japan and a hero for Gourmet Fighters! Come visit if you like sweets!
(B) Kirsch: MC, it's been a while! Did everything work out after that one time? ...you had to go outside Orient City? Wow, Procy went out far...
(C) Kirsch: Tee hee, thanks! Isn't this traditional Japanese clothing? They set it up for me for the program, but I liked it so much I bought it from the producers! It was just...a little...really...expensive...I gotta cut costs next month.
---
Sui: I'm back. Oh, are the guests here already?
MC: Sui, you went to go meet them? Thanks for going!
Sui: And thank you for greeting the guests. Master's agency just got out of a busy period, so I'm fine.

Loren: Hello! Wow, nice office! (trips) Aah!
Rakta: (grab) Calm down Loren, and watch your feet.
Loren: Thanks for catching me, doctor...
MC: Hi, I'm MC / Fit doctor! / Fit nurse!
(A) Rakta: Hello, I am Rakta. I'm mainly a surgical doctor on the moon and the hero Doctor R. This is Nurse Loren. He's got the personality and skills down pat, but he's also a little clumsy.
Loren: Could you not ruin people's first impressions of me...? No wait, you aren't doing this to be mean, but still... Hi, I'm Loren. I'm a nurse and hero on the moon.
(B) Rakta: You have a discerning eye! Yes, I do indeed keep myself hygienic in all manner of ways!
Loren: ...Doctor, talking about hygiene is fine but please don't take your clothes off.
Rakta: But I don't mind taking my clothes off to show how fit and healthy I am.
Loren: Everyone else does! Sorry, the doctor is...like that...
Isaribi: Hnngh!
Kirsch: ...were you thinking you'd get along great with him?
Isaribi: Did you read my mind!?
Kirsch: It's experience I got from the show today. So Dr. Rakta is like that too, huh...?
(C) Loren: ...oh. I've been a little worried about my exam results lately, even if they're barely in range...
Rakta: That's because you eat a lot even if you do exercise. Part of it is muscle, but it might be too much...?
Loren: I just can't help myself with good food...
Mokdai: (Yep...)
Huckle: (Yep, sort of...)
Sui: >:(

Akashi: You guys I'm back. Wait everyone's here already? Polaris Mask, come on over!
MC: Akashi, what's that? New Year's plant decoration?
Akashi: ...it's Polaris Mask's. We came through the shopping district, it was bad...
Polaris Mask: Heyo, brothers and sisters!
Polaris Mask has his arms full of Japanese New Year's related items.

Akashi: Everyone kept talking to us, asking for autographs, and gave us these things...I had to drag Polaris Mask away...
Polaris Mask: Haha, you sure are strong! I'm not really one to turn my fans down... Oh well, we got lots of party things! Someone even asked me to arm wrestle them for an hour! It was great.
MC: Nice to meet you! / Long time no see! / Damn...
(A) Polaris Mask: Hey, what's your name? MC? Nice to meet ya! I'm Polaris Mask, a pro wrestler! And a hero!
(B) Polaris Mask: MC, how you've been? Let's have a fight with you, Akashi, and that cop guy again some time. With gravity shenanigans! You guys could all dress up in matching costumes!
Akashi: ...MC dressing up... I MEAN no! I'm just a second stringer in college!
(C) Polaris Mask: What? If that's how it's gonna be, I'mma get fired up and wrestle! Pro wrestling soul!
Akashi: ...what
Polaris Mask: The will to tank everything your opponent throws at you no matter how hard it gets for the best show possible!
Akashi: MC, I'm starting to worry about him too

Polaris Mask: Sorry to crash in at the end of the year though. Aren't you all busy?
Huckle: Oh, not at all! That show was the last of our work. If anything, I'm sorry about our sudden invitations. The invite is for social reasons since there's some heroes we've never met before at the show earlier. We might work together again, so now's a good time to deepen our connections.
Kirsch: We're also exchanging info, right? It's cool!
Ryekie: Hey, everyone's here! Huckle, food's ready!
Huckle: Thanks Ryekie... what's the kiwi for?
Ryekie: It's part of the fruit platter! ...it's only a little bit, okay?
Huckle: ...oh fine, most of our work is done anyways. You shouldn't get drunk if there's only a little bit...
Mokdai: Thanks Ryekie! MC, can you help me set the food up?
MC: Sure! / Okay! / forsooth
(C) Akashi: Why are you talking like that...? I'll put these out, so you get those ones ready MC!

Later
After helping Mokdai with the food, everyone has split into three tables with three different conversations going. One has Polaris Mask, Sui, Huckle, and Mokdai. The second has Kirsch, Loren, and Ryekie. The third has Isaribi, Rakta, and Akashi.

MC: ...I guess I'll join one.
MC: (join the hero suit conversation) / (join the new sweets idea discussion) / (join the body discussion)

[Hero Suit Conversation]
Polaris Mask: Nice timing, bro! I saw in the archives that you can find new hero suits for people! Can you get me one too?
MC: That was sudden! / I can't control it... / Please let me think about it!
Sui: Sorry MC. We talked about hero suits and then it turned to this...
Mokdai: I'm kinda interested too though. Normally we have one base suit, right? They say it's a manifestation of a dream that never changes, but I wonder why MC can find a new form for it?
MC: Dunno. Director, help.
Huckle: Hmm. Well I was an Observer too, and based on my experience, transforming looks like putting a new layer on top of someone like an art program. One layer is the person, and the other layer is their hero form. Felt kind of weird seeing it all including myself from behind. The closer the layers, the easier to perform the transformation. Like Ryekie's is almost on top of him. With my metaphor, maybe MC is pulling from further away layers. And maybe there's more layers than I could see.

MC: I see...
Huckle: Well that was my experience. I didn't expect to become a hero again.
Polaris Mask: So, MC's manifesting new possibilities! Awesome! My dream won't change, but the way it expresses itself changes based on the place or people around. I have to give my fans the best experience ever!
Sui: ...I understand, Polaris Mask. That's the power of what you wear. When you wear something, there are things you can say. Your appearance can make it easier to express thoughts...
Polaris Mask: Yeah! Pro wrestling and hero work for me is how to best show myself!
MC: Oh okay / So serious / Awesome!
Polaris Mask: Yep! I'm counting on you for when it happens, brother!
Mokdai: Yeah, Polaris Mask is amazing at showing himself off on stage. I need to keep that in mind too now that I'm a hero...
Huckle: No need to rush. You did great on today's show.
Mokdai: Thanks Director! I felt like I was flailing around at the show though, so next time I wanna do better...

[Sweets Discussion]
Ryekie: Thanks for preparing things, MC!
Kirsch: Thanks! I brought sweets. Feel free to try them!
MC: Thank you / I love sweets!
Ryekie: They're great! Have some!
Loren: You made both Earth sweets and moon treats. They're both good! I'm from England, but the moon is like my second home now.
Kirsch: Thanks, the shop I work at has been putting up new things from other planets lately. Sweets are culturally important to Earth, and any country or planet's things are interesting, but sometimes I can't get ingredients and have to fiddle with the recipe.
MC: Does that include these?
Kirsch: Yep. The moon is close by, but it still has things that's hard to get from there. In that case, I use Earth things. Sometimes that makes it into something totally different, but that's also the core of Spinning Confection-jutsu!
MC: what

Kirsch: Spinning rotations may look the same, but they aren't. Meaning, change is natural! This gets a little philosophical, but even if the recipe changes it's still a sweet in the end.
MC: Oh / I think I just heard someone else's voice just now
Kirsch: On that note, I got a question for people from Japan! What do you think of fruit sauce in red bean soup?
MC: Sounds good! / I guess...? / Uhh...?
Kirsch: Well fruit anmitsu and strawberry daifuku are things, but I've never seen anyone put fruit sauce on or in anything. I was wondering about the texture.
Ryekie: Sounds great! Kiwi would work too!
Loren: Hmm. I've never had red bean soup before, but I'd like to try it!
Rakta disapproves.
Loren: ...doctor, would you stop staring at me like that? It's New Years! I can forget about watching calories today!
Kirsch: Hmm. Thanks for your opinions, everyone! Sounds like it's worth trying. Sweets build on tradition and evolve!
MC: This can't end well / Shouldn't someone stop her? / Is this like Japanese maniacal modding?
Kirsch: Hehe, look forward to it!

[Body Discussion]
Akashi: MC...?
Akashi took his top off.

MC: You took your top off at a social party? / You wanna show yourself off? / You're gonna catch a cold
Akashi: S-shut up, I didn't do this because I wanted to! You guys explain!
Isaribi: Haha, sorry. We asked him to!
Rakta: Yes, we were talking about how different jobs focus on different parts of the body and muscle development. I wanted to see how Akashi was built since he's a baseball player.
MC: You two are obsessed with muscles / You like bragging about your bodies? / Thanks Doc!
(C) Akashi: Stop staring, dope!

Akashi puts his shirt back on.
Akashi: But yeah, you two are serious about this.
Rakta: Yes, but my reason may be different from what you two believe.
Akashi: What?
Isaribi: Yeah, my body's my life as a fisherman and hero. There's a big catch I wanna get, and I gotta be ready for the next time I come across it. That's why I work out. When people compliment it, I wanna show it!
Rakta: I do it for health reasons. There are surgical approaches to it, but health is an everyday custom. The body is a measure of health, and I crystallize all manner of health methods in my body. A senpai from when I first started always told me that surgery is a battle of endurance.
MC: Hmm...
Rakta: We may have similar structures, but our races may give us entirely different organs and functions. When there's a patient of a race I've never examined or treated before, I want to check everything down to the smallest details! But Loren stops me.
Loren: Doctor, you just examined Isaribi like a madman five minutes ago.
Isaribi: It's cool with me!
Loren considers when he should stop things.

[Branch Convergence point!]
The party's been great, and now it's evening.

MC: Whew, that was fast.
Mokdai: Oh, here you are on the roof MC. Tired?
MC: Oh, Mokdai. No I'm fine. You?
Mokdai: I'm glad you're okay. It's been busy lately... why's it always like this at the end of the year? Is it like this on other planets? But we got more people too now.
It's cold out, enough for breaths to be visible.

Mokdai: Today's been fun. There was work we normally never do, but it was nice meeting new people. New connections means new things being done, which is fun. I think I finally get that, and I'd never have understood if I didn't become a hero.
...

Mokdai: ...I wanna tell my younger self that I'd become a hero! ...except I'd probably never believe it if it happened.
Mokdai looks a little distressed between the joys he's found as a hero and the suffering he felt because he was a hero.
MC: ...do you ever wonder what would happen if you didn't become a hero?

Mokdai: ...MC...no, I'm glad I became a hero.
Mokdai is resolute.

Mokdai: There's been bad times, of course. Still, I'm happier fighting together with everyone instead of hanging back and wondering if I could do something. And if I'm having a terrible time, I'm sure everyone will come help! This may be repeating myself...but thanks for making me a hero, MC.
MC: Thank YOU. But you've always been a hero. I just believed in that.
Mokdai: Hehe...thanks. I think you're the only one who'd say so...but now I think that's enough. I'm real glad.
MC: Next year's gonna be busy, but I'm looking forward to working with you for it, Senpai. Let's call on each other if we're in trouble!
Mokdai: Yeah!

Akashi: ...oh, here you are. We were looking for you.
Sui: Kirsch started making red bean soup. She also started yelling about playing with the recipe with her spinning sweets jutsu or whatever...is she going to put fresh cream in it?
Mokdai: Ooh! Her sweets are great!
Akashi: Don't eat too much, Mokdai. The other day you--
And so the four began talking about anything and everything, like what happened over the year and their impressions. Some perspectives and opinions were lacking, so they filled them in together on and on.

Later
Akashi: ...hey wait, it just passed midnight. It's the new year now!
Mokdai: It is!? Whoa, that was fast...!
Sui: ...well, it's fine right? Let's do our best, Senpais.
Mokdai: Hehe, yeah!
Akashi: Yeah, sure. Let's go back everyone. Crowne, Exio, and the others said they'd be coming by.
Mokdai: Wow!
Sui: Is Melide fine with being up this late...?
Akashi: Monomasa said she'd barely be okay, but will she...?
Mokdai: Didn't Yoshiori say he liked sweet things? Maybe he'll want some of the ones Polaris Mask brought.
So the year ends, one unforgettable memory after another. The world may change, but not MC's feelings.

MC: ...let's make unforgettable memories this year too.
When the gang gets back to the office party, Kirsch has mixed some kiwi fruit into her red bean soup which Ryekie got drunk on. It was a classy social party until Crowne brought booze. Things got crazy enough that Monomasa had to shield Melide’s eyes, so MC and the gang led Melide out. Five minutes in and an unforgettable memory already. To no one's surprise, kiwis and alcohol were banned inside the office starting the next day.
The End

No comments:

Post a Comment