Sunday, January 22, 2023

Live A Hero Lost Ancients in Blue Episode 4 (Abridged)

The party has reported the Monster destroyed and is now on patrol again.
Hisaki: We cleared out the Monster, but our job's not over.
Andrew: We hit the return point, so I suppose it's time to go back?
Gaius: Yeah. We just need to check near the buildings, then go home. They're still big though, so stay focused.
MC: The home stretch! / Tired... / You okay, Melide?
(A) Andrew: I need to do my best too!
Gaius: We've been at this all day. Don't go so hard you feel it tomorrow.
(B) Hisaki: Don't push yourself too hard either, Melide. We're patrolling tomorrow again. I can pull you along if you're tired.
(C) Melide: Yes. I had time to sit when we made our report. If I get tired again, let's take a break and look at the scenery.

The party dials down their swim support machines and approach the buildings.
Hisaki: Damn, they're big. And made of unknown materials. The universe is huge...
Andrew: Are you interested in their composition?
Hisaki: Yep! Everyone around Earth interested in tech is interested in this! Maybe we'll have another tech revolution if we can figure these things out.
Gaius: (frowns and looks at the buildings) Yeah, they're important, but they've been bugging me ever since they showed up.
Hisaki: D-don't say that! They're a cultural site of unknown value!
Melide: Yeah, especially since we on Earth haven't seen tech like this.
Hisaki: Yeah, Earth tech levels are behind everywhere else.

Andrew: Oh, so that's why so many scientists from Earth have come.
Hisaki: ...oh yeah. Andrew, you're from Tronesion, the planet of super tech right? Do you know anything about the buildings!?
Andrew: W-what? I'm sorry, I don't have many records of my time on Tronesion. My memory was deleted during maintenance for some reason. I tried looking up those buildings, but I didn't find anything.
Hisaki: Oh, sorry about getting all worked up. Forget about it. I just get excited about tech. Did I ask you something awkward?
Andrew: It's okay. Were you worried about me? How nice!
Melide: Huh. Is that like amnesia?
MC: ...hmm, maybe it’s like mine. I wonder if it's any different from people's senses.

Andrew: Well what I specifically have are records instead of memories. What is it like to forget something?
MC: I don't know how to answer that. But I guess it's true you can't forget a record.
Gaius: ...
Gaius briefly stares at MC and Andrew before looking back at the buildings.

Hisaki: Something up?
Gaius: ...nah. I guess something's on my mind... (continues swimming)
Gaius: I feel like I've seen those buildings before, but maybe I'm imagining things. Whatever, let's finish up our shift. Tell me if you see anything off.
Andrew: Right. As of now I don't see anyth--hm?
Andrew's sensors picked up something!

Gaius: See something?
Andrew: Straight ahead. People-shaped life signals.
Melide: Maybe they're other patrol parties?
Andrew: Or maybe sightseeing tourists.
Hisaki: Hopefully. Or they might be looters.
Gaius: Let's just go see before they get away. Like last time.
Hisaki: I said I was sorry about that!
Gaius: Then you better work hard. Andrew, lead the way.
Andrew: Okay. Follow me.
Andrew takes point and leads the party over.

Later
Andrew: I see several life form signals and...small domestic robots? Unknown party is 20 vague space units away, right by the buildings. We should see them soon.
Hisaki: ...there. It looks like they're fiddling with something.
Red: Haha, good job getting all these bots.
Yellow: Yeah, we can't use guns underwater. We need about this many to blow a hole open. These bargain bin old models will be great bombs after some messing around! (click)
Space Roomba: Hello, I am here to help! Tell me if you need my assistance!
Red: Did you get that thing in?
Yellow: Yep. Being underwater won't be a problem. Now let's hurry up. Okay get to work, bolt brain.
Space Roomba: Okay! I can clean anything!
Yellow roughly pushes the Space Roomba towards the building's walls.

Yellow: Make us a hole big enough for us to get in.

Space Roomba: [Beep Boop, system set up complete.] Okay, here I go!
Red: Hey, it's working.
Space Roomba: :] (floats towards the walls)
Space Roomba: I'm gonna open up a hole!
The space roomba reaches the wall.

Space Roomba: Okay, this will be done soon! Please look forward t--BOOM (explodes upon touching the wall)
Shocked party reaction shot!

Yellow: Okay, that worked well enough for being underwater.
Red: Lessee...ugh, the wall ain't damaged for shit.
Yellow: Well I didn't expect it to open with just one bomb. Get the next one ready before someone comes.
The men start turning on more space roombas.

Hisaki: Oh my god I can't believe they're using household cleaning bots for this!
MC: Evil!
Gaius: Nobody gets away with messing with the lake!
Melide: What awful methods!
Hisaki: MC, Melide, looks like they're villains. Can you transform me? (looks serious)
Hisaki: There was a time someone used my invention to cause harm. It was a whole holiday event plot. I can't let this go!
MC: Hisaki...okay, let's go!
MC and Melide use their phones to transform Hisaki and Gaius.

Hisaki: Alright, time to beat up some baddies!
Gaius: No mercy!
Melide: Good luck you two. And be careful about the robots...Andrew?

Andrew stares in horror at the exploded bot.
Andrew: ...MC, do you have a moment? Even just a few minutes...would you hear me out?
MC: What is it? / It's horrible what happened.
Andrew: Thank you for worrying about me...but there is something I cannot process. (turns to MC now)
Andrew: I...want to be a person. It's my dream, because my basic programs have that written in as an order. We machines are created with all kids of orders, which is why we exist.
Andrew puts his hand on his chest. There is a warmth and softness there, but no heartbeat.

Andrew: If we have no orders, we have no reason for being. Those robots were given an order and tried to fulfill them. That in itself isn't wrong. But every time I run my simulations...I run into an error.
Beep beep!
Phone: New Path detected. Subject: Andrew. Connectivity: Very Strong.
Melide: That light on the phone...is it...finding a new Path...?
MC: Whoa!

Andrew: I don't know what's causing the errors...but I remember what you said. That there people who would be sad if I stopped functioning. I'm sure it's the same for them. I want to protect the humane bond between people and machines...I believe I must value this error!
MC: Let's do it together! Connecting the new Path!
Andrew: Okay! I want to protect this bond! I must!
A new colored light covers Andrew!

Gaius: Wait what!?
Hisaki: This is just like last time!
Ta-da! New Variant Suit Andrew!

Andrew: What? This isn't my usual hero suit! Is this...my new suit!? Wow, it's like I grew like a human!
MC: Machine and organic body harmonizing! You look great!
Andrew: Thanks! Both a machine body and organic body are important to me. Maybe those feelings will be expressed in my Parallel Weapon! (tests out his arm)
Gaius: What just happened!?
Hisaki: MC found a new Path to a different parallel world!
Gaius: What...? Actually, never mind. You can use that weapon, right?
Andrew: Yes, I know how to use it!
Hisaki: Great! Now you can swim with feet instead of jets!
Andrew: ...yeah, I can swim anywhere like this. I can stop those robots!

Later
Red: Okay, the bombs are ready...h-hey, there's someone behind you!
Yellow: What? What's that light? ...get out of the way!
Giant laser arrow flying through!

Gaius: Dammit, I missed. Hisaki, Andrew!
Melide: Pincer attack them to keep them from running.
Hisaki: I got it! Time to spank anyone who abuses technology!
Andrew: Anyone who tries to destroy the organic-machine bond will have to think on their actions!
Red: W-what!? Heroes!? Dammit, can we get away!?
Yellow: ...no wait, I'm not gonna let these punks get in the way of my jackpot! They only grazed us and we still have bombs!
Gaius: So you're aware of what you're doing. Now you need to regret what you've done.
MC: Attacks coming from the front! Begin the battle operation!
Andrew: (nods) There are people who would be sad even for robots being destroyed, and I want to protect those feelings. I will do all I can to stop you from ceasing their functions!
BATTLE START (more happens later)

Red: OOF! They beat us!
Yellow: Retreat! Take whatever you can use with you!
Melide: Oh no they're going to run away
MC: VP Conversion! Go, Gaius!
Gaius: No escape! Open Crest "Lacus Serpens Ira"!
Gaius fires a giant speeding arrow!

Yellow: Nooo! Get the emergency escap--
Hisaki: Oh no you don't! Andrew, let's blast them towards the surface!
Andrew: Okay!
Hisaki and Andrew charge at the salvager villains.

Hisaki: Tech Football Tackle!
Andrew: Take my fist! Change "Geminis Decide"!
Hisaki and Andrew create a powerful water surge as they attack the villains!

Villains: NOOOO
The villains get blasted into Gaius's arrow, which then KOs and pinballs them out of the lake waters!

Hisaki: ...maybe we overdid it. Oh well, we win! Okay, we better go fish out the villains and put them on a boat, make sure they don't drown on us. Gaius, can you help me tie them up?
Gaius: Right, we can't just ditch them.
And so Hisaki and Andrew go to capture the villains up top.

Andrew: Okay, we're done now...what's wrong, Melide?
Melide: Oh, I was just thinking about what would happen now.
Space Roomba 2: Hello! Please tell me if there's anything I can help with!
Andrew: Their safeties to themselves and those around them were removed. We don't know how they were modified, so it's better to keep away from them for now.
Hisaki is back now.

Hisaki: Okay guys, time to go back to land...hm? Oh, the robots?
Melide: Yes. Andrew said they might be dangerous.
Hisaki: Yeah, they might blow up at the slightest impact, so they're unusable for now. With luck, we can recover them, take them apart, reset their memories, then put them back together. Worst case, we'll have to scrap them...
MC: ...they did nothing wrong. They were just illegally modified.
Melide: I know how you feel, but we might not be able to help if they're dangerous...we'll have to leave them alone.
Hisaki: Yeah, I'll contact the research team and ask an expert to come pick them up.
Andrew: Yes, we need to turn the villains in too.
The party goes while a low mood hangs over them as they take the villains away. The lake returns to its usual calm.

Space Roomba 2: Is there anything I can help with? :]
And the smiling cleaner bots are left behind.

Title card: Do You Have a Soul?

That night
MC is resting in their room when the bell rings.

MC: Who is it? / Who could it be at this hour...?
???: It's Gaius. You have a minute?
MC opens the door.

MC: Come on in. What's up?
Gaius: Sorry I'm still in my dive suit, I was diving in the lake until a few minutes ago...oh right, I'm dry, no worries. Anyways, I wanted to ask you about our day route. (looks at MC, then sighs and relaxes his shoulders)
Gaius: ...y'all are WEIRD. Feels like you're different from other people. Lots of the people I've guided were tourists, but out of everyone I've guided I've never seen anyone I felt I could trust. So many selfish folks who don't think about the lake, some of which even littered in the lake...well I didn't really come to complain about that, so feel free to forget what I just said.
Gaius comes in, puts his stuff down nearby, and closes the door.

MC: So what did you want to ask me?

Gaius: ...remember Cetus? I've known him for the longest time, but he's never shown up while I was with other people before.
Gaius's expression softens.

Gaius: Other people treat Cetus like some sort of cryptid, but I see him as a friend...I was picking up tourist trash one day in the past when I first met him. You saw how big he is, right? I was surprised I didn't see him until then, but he didn't feel like a Monster, so I left him alone. After that he'd be watching me from behind, but then he'd disappear when I notice.
Gaius smiles a little.

Gaius: Cetus has saved me before when I was attacked by Monsters underwater. That was the first time I saw him take offensive action. Hisaki and Andrew said it before, but I also thought it was weird behavior for a natural living being.
Gaius sighs, then looks determined as he faces MC.

Gaius: I don't know what Cetus is thinking, but maybe he's chosen you guys too. If he has, there's something I want your guys' help with. You've got amnesia, right? ...I don't remember my past either.
MC: What...?

Gaius: My memories start in childhood when my parents--or rather the married couple--found me and took me in. (closes his eyes and remembers)
Gaius: They were elderly, so I did think I was different from other people, but after they passed away I found a letter that said they found me on the lake shore...I want to know where I really came from. The lake is my only clue, so I dive to do what I can and try to learn about my origins.
MC: Oh...
Gaius: ...yeah. Maybe those buildings are a clue too. We'll be swimming near them tomorrow, so tell me if you find even the smallest lead there. Since you saw Cetus from land, maybe you can find something.
MC: No pressure... / Okay, I'll let you know if I do.
---
(A) Gaius: I'm not expecting that much. I just wanna do anything I can if it helps even a tenth of a percent.
MC nods.

---
Gaius: ...thanks. Even things that catch your attention would be fine. Sorry to come here for this when we have work tomorrow. It was nice talking to you actually...later. (leaves)
MC: ...so that's his past.

Hisaki's room, probably
Hisaki is at his desk with a bunch of machine parts strewn around.

Hisaki: ... (pushes a screw around before sighing)
Flashback!

Robot: BEEP BOOP
Hisaki: WAIT WHAT
Present

Hisaki: ...I messed up so bad today. I have to not cause problems for everyone else. I got so excited about testing my new invention but ended up putting everyone in danger...as an engineer, I shouldn't put out anything I haven't tested for safety and practicality. (grabs a screw)
Hisaki: ...Andrew said his dream is to protect the bond between organics and machines. That must be while MC found him a new Path...hmm. (opens up his hand to stare at the screw)
Hisaki: ...maybe I just made a robot that was personally convenient. Maybe I was no better than those villains treating things like disposable tools. ...what do I really want to make? (gets up and looks at the lake waves)
Hisaki: ...it can't just be convenient. That's not enough for the bond Andrew was talking about. It has to be something that can make a better future with the robots I make, together...
Hisaki opens the window. Nice breeze out.

Hisaki: ...okay, I gotta change! I'm gonna do what only I can do!
Hisaki goes back to his desk and picks up a screwdriver. And so he works all night until the sun rises.

End of Episode

No comments:

Post a Comment