Sunday, January 8, 2023

Live A Hero Lost Ancients in Blue Episode 3 (Abridged)

Hisaki: Okay, warm up over! Thanks for helping collect battle data for SCIENCE! (turns off the training dummy now that he's detransformed)
Gaius: You're happy we beat up your creation? Weirdo.
Hisaki: It's cool, it's in the testing phase!
Andrew: Oh, you're still working on it?
Gaius: ...well I guess it was a good warmup. Let's get into the lake. I'll lead, so tell me if you notice anything wrong, especially litterers.
Andrew: Littering is no good!
Gaius dives. Andrew follows suit.

Hisaki: Weird how attached Gaius is to the lake. What's up with that?
Melide: Isn't it because he works in it?
Hisaki: You think? Whatever, let's go.
Now the rest of the party dives in.

Lake Rubul has so many pretty water plants and little fish.
MC: Wow!
Melide: Pretty...
Hisaki: It looks so different down here than up there. No wonder it's a first class tourist spot! Oh right, our breathing devices are working right.
Gaius: ...Lake Rubul is the biggest freshwater lake on Samaad. I don't go far from it much so I can't say anything about the others, but it looks great, huh? Underwater view only. (looks around)
Gaius: ...he's not here today. Then again having him show up around outsiders would be a problem.
Hisaki: You say something?
Gaius: No. Let's go on since Melide can swim alright so far.
Gaius looks at Melide from the corner of his eyes. She's holding hands with MC to swim.

Melide: Yes, I'm fine. Sorry to worry you, and thank you for slowing down for me.
MC: Don't push yourself. We can take it slow until you get used to it.

Gaius: Tell me if it hurts even a little bit.
Hisaki: Wow, you actually are caring about us.
Gaius: ...well yeah, I'm an instructor too.
Hisaki: Haha, you're so awkward you're actually easy to read.
Gaius: Ugh...well we can leave you behind since you can swim on your own.
Hisaki: I-I was just kidding! Just trying to lighten the mood!
Hisaki gesticulates wildly and smiles, which attracts a bunch of fish to him.

Andrew: Look, fish.
Gaius: They must've thought food was around with all that waving around.
Andrew: Sorry little fish, we aren't food for you.
Melide: Andrew, I don't think the fish are trying to eat us. But wow, they're cute and pretty.
Melide reaches out for the fish, and the fish swim closer to her hand.

Andrew: MC, may I ask you a question?
MC: Okay.
Andrew: Thanks. So it looks like everyone is relaxed here in the water. Why is that? (looks at Melide and the fish, then the lake scenery)
MC: Nice views and fun times.
Andrew: Thank you! Recording that to my logs... the ideas of beautiful and fun are in my database, but I need baseline points for comparison.
Hisaki: Whatcha guys talking about?
Andrew: I just asked MC what they thought of things right now. Now I've gotten a step closer to understanding humanity and what it means to be a person!
Hisaki: ...oh yeah, didn't you say you wanted to be human? People will have their own opinions looking at all this, but it should be basically all positive, right?
Andrew: I think so too, There are no threats present.
Hisaki: Well yeah, but...oh let me put it this way! Like, I'm glad to be alive! sorta thing. This isn't something you see every day you know. Does that help?
Andrew: Thank you! I'll try saying something human, (beep boops internally)
Andrew: "Wow this place is so beautiful I won't forget it even though I'm here for work!"
Andrew: How was that...?
Gaius: Yeah yeah, the view's great but it's almost time to get to the next area for work.
Hisaki: Okay, got it! And yeah you did great Andrew! Now let's go before we forget about the job.
Andrew: I haven't forgotten, but agreed.

Title Card: Patrol Divers

Nothing of note happened on patrol, so the party is heading back to shore.
Andrew: No criminals, but no sign of the protector god either... Hmm, fish and lake plants. What is beauty...?
Gaius: What? ...actually, never mind. Melide, how are you feeling? You've swum a lot, but you're still new to it. Don't push it or it'll hurt later.
Melide: I'm okay since we took a break earlier. Thank you. But I was wondering about something... (looks around, calls MC, and looks worried as she holds her arms to herself)
Melide: ...do you sense something? It's not a strong presence though.
MC: Is something there?
MC closes their eyes to focus on sensing things. Somewhere in the distance...

MC: ...I sense a Monster.

Suddenly everyone's phones pings for an alert!
Hisaki: What? The investigation and security teams all got some message.
Gaius: It says...it's a newsflash of a Monster appearance nearby.
Everyone checks their phones.

Andrew: Okay, so it won't be a quiet day today.
Hisaki: Right. Melide, MC, transform us. We should be ready to fight whenever if there's a Monster.
Melide: Okay, here we go...
MC: Opening the Path. Execute!
Hero mode activate!

Gaius: Okay, good to go. Let's clean this up quick.
Hisaki: Yeah, it looks like we're the closest group to it. Come on.
And so the party heads for the marked location.

Later
Andrew: ...this seems to be the place. Do you two sense anything?
Melide: Yes, the presence is stronger than before now.
MC: Stay sharp guys. It should be close.
The party hides in the rock shade while keeping watch. A shark-type Monster phases through things and appears in the area!

Hisaki: There it is! Stay focused everyone!
Andrew: It must not have noticed us yet. It doesn't seem ready to attack right now.
Gaius: We still ought to destroy it before it causes collateral damage. I'll go snipe it.
Hisaki: W-wait, Andrew and I aren't specialized for underwater combat. If we mess up and give ourselves away, we could be at a disadvantage. Lemme try out another new invention I got!

Hisaki pulls out a small robot that looks very much like a work in progress as it starts moving.
Hisaki: Okay so it's a prototype, but it should still help! I actually made it for on land battles, but I waterproof sprayed this thing so it should be fine. Maybe. It's based off sonic wave based heroes using data from the necklace collection device I gave MC before!
MC: Oh yeah that happened. So Gorou and Hitomi.
Hisaki: This robot makes sounds Monsters will hate to debuff them, so let's weaken it and one-shot it! If it works, we'll get first strike and have the advantage.
Melide: ...wow. If it works, it'll be a great invention.
Hisaki: Hehe, and it won't give our positions away. Now go, my new weapon!

Hisaki sends off the robot, which heads for the Monster.
Robot: ...
Shark Monster: ...
Hisaki: Yep, it's still going for it! Should be in range of it soon.
Gaius: Is the robot really that good?
Hisaki: It's cool! Just watch! Now...fire the sound waves!
MC: ...is this really okay? Something feels wrong...
Robot: ...beepbeepbeep
Hisaki: ...huh?
The robot makes a low scream before going quiet.

Shark Monster: ...
The Monster disappears off to somewhere else in the lake.

Gaius: ...what just happened?
Hisaki: A-ahaha, whoops! I thought this would work...
Andrew: The Monster left my radar range. It's gone now.
Melide: ...yes, the presence has gone distant, but I can't tell where it is anymore.
Hisaki: I-I'm sorry guys...! It can't have gone that far! Let's look for it! Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have finagled the customization for underwater use... (picks the robot back up)
Hisaki: Looks like the waterproofing spray wasn't enough after all. Oh well, backup's done. Something to keep in mind for next time.
MC: Trial and error. How very engineerish of you.

Gaius: ...Hisaki, we're going after the Monster. Also, you okay with that?
Hisaki: Huh? I'm not littering or anything.
Gaius: Not that. It's just...isn't your bot totally broken because of the water? And Andrew, you're an android. Doesn't seeing that upset you?
Everyone looks at Andrew.

Gaius: I mean, seeing a total stranger suddenly stop moving would be creepy. Dunno if you're like that.
Andrew: Oh, you're worried about me.
Gaius: ...not really...? Well whatever about me.

Hisaki: Andrew, did I make you uncomfortable?
Andrew: (smiles) It's okay. I'm borrowing power from a parallel world self as a hero, but androids and robots like us don't have a concept of death the way humans do. And if we don't have an input for pain, we don't feel it. If I suddenly stop functioning, if I've been backed up I can be rebooted.
Gaius: Uhh...well whatever if you aren't bothered then.
Andrew: Thanks. I'm happy you're concerned for me. Oh, how do humans feel in these situations? Can you tell me more? (smiles at MC and Melide)
Melide: Um, okay then?
Melide nods, but thinks back to what Marfik said earlier.
Flashback!

Marfik: Studying is fun! Do what you want, and do it with others sometimes! I hope your studies go great.

Present
Melide: ...If you're studying too, then I should...explain too.
Andrew: I'll be one step closer to making my dream come true!
Melide: Right. So for example, if my phone were to break I'd think of it as inconvenient but not sad. I felt the same way with Hisaki's robot. (looks up at Andrew)
Melide: But when I look at something human-shaped...it feels a little different. It scares me a little when I see a person fall over.
MC: Well if you can move to a new body... / I'd hate it if you stopped functioning, Andrew / I'd think that'd be really sad
Andrew: Oh...thank you. I think I understand a little more. I don't have that thought process. I should try not to make you all sad. (closes eyes and thinks for a bit)

Andrew: ...so there are people who see my nonfunctionality as death. What a human perspective. This is a new feeling for me. Is this...happiness? If it's true there's a bond between man and machine...I should be able to get closer to my dream.
Melide: You want to be human, right? ...did I help?
Andrew: Yes, thank you! I can't define how long it will take to make it happen or make the differences between people and machines disappear, but plenty of bonds between them exist like you've told me. I think knowing that is significant!
Hisaki: Hmm...I think there's plenty of relationships between us and machines too. I've made lots of robots so I can't forget about that too.
Andrew: I need to understand the human heart to make my dream come true. The bonds between people and machines could be a big help! It's good for there to be more bonds. My dream might update!
Beep beep. MC's phone slightly glows.
MC: !!

Hisaki: Earth tech hasn't really caught up to Andrew's level...hm? (looks at robot)
Robot: BEEP BOOP
Hisaki: W-what, I've never seen it do this before!
Robot: SCREEEEE
Gaius: wait WHAT THE HELL! Hisaki, what's going on!?
Hisaki: The sound wave deployment messed up because of it being underwater! G-gimme a sec to stop it...
Shark Monster: EEEEE
Melide: Careful, I sense a Monster!
MC: Get ready to fight! Incoming!
Yep, the Shark Monster came back!

Andrew: It's the one we saw earlier! Deploying Parallel Weapon and shifting to combat mode!
Gaius: Dammit, I knew I should have put an arrow into its head.
The Monster is ramming into things on the way over.

Hisaki: Okay I got the noise to stop! Sorry I got us into this mess, guys!
Gaius: Apologize AFTER we kill the Monster! Here it comes!
Melide: I'll be operating too. Be careful!
Andrew: I won't let anyone be hurt!
Hisaki: I'm gonna make up for my mistakes!
BATTLE START (more happens later)

Hisaki: It's working! See, I'm not a total screwup! Let's go, Invention "Ops Creation"! (rams the Monster with his shield)
Shark Monster: (screams upon being rammed)
Gaius: I got it! I'll shoot it dead on!
Shark Monster: Eeeee... (disappears into the shadows)
Gaius: Ugh, I lost it. Where'd it go?
Andrew: My radar can find it! Search Mode deployed. Analyzing...
Andrew: ...found it! Wait, these coordinates! MC, Melide! It's behind you, get away from there!
MC: WHAT
Melide: Oh no! Behind you!
Hisaki: OH NO WE WON'T MAKE IT
Gaius: I can't shoot it since they're in the way! Get down!
Shark Monster: SCREEEE
Melide: Help!
MC: No! Somebody at least save Melide!

Suddenly something slams the Monster away!
Hisaki: What just happened! I saw something big just now!
Andrew: I don't see it on my radar! What is it!?
Space Nessie!

MC: That's what I saw yesterday... Is that Russy? The lake's guardian god!?
Space Nessie rams the Shark Monster again!

Gaius: Cetus! Okay, we can end it now. Nobody move!
Gaius draws his magic space bow to make an arrow of light, then fires it off like a laser at the Monster.

Shark Monster: EEE! L-lovely... (poof)

Andrew: Gaius, thanks! Are you two okay!?
Melide: Y-yes, we're okay.
Hisaki: ...sooo, what's that thing? Never seen anything like it before. It could be some Monster variant, so be careful everyone!
Hisaki moves in front of MC and Melide. Space Nessie calmly sits there and looks back.

Gaius: ...I guarantee Cetus is harmless. (detransforms)
Gaius: People have been calling it a guardian god, but I've been swimming with him for years now. He doesn't attack anyone nonhostile, so please, put your weapons down.
Hisaki: ...Cetus, huh? Well it doesn't seem aggressive now, but will it really not attack...?
Gaius nods.

Melide: I think it's fine. I don't sense Monster vibes from Cetus.
Hisaki: ...okay, I'll believe you guys. Plus we should conserve our strength.
Hisaki and Andrew cancel out of their hero forms too.

Andrew: So this is the guardian god. It looks like it did protect you two just now...
Hisaki: Yeah...so is it going to help us...?
Andrew: How mysterious of living things to fight Monsters to protect other living things. (thinks)
Andrew: Robots and androids like me have had programming to help people, but seeing living things push past their self-preservation instincts to fight against threats...I've never seen it happen before my eyes before!
Hisaki: Yeah, wild animals typically run away if the see Monsters.
Andrew: Yes, which reminds me of one more thing. My living being sensor--wait, where'd the god go?
Cetus is gone.
MC: It just disappeared in a second! How!?
Everyone looks at Gaius.

Gaius: ...honestly, I don't know either. He's swum with me before, but I always lose track of him.
Hisaki: Wow...I lost track of it too.
Gaius: Eh, Cetus is cool and that's good enough for now. We destroyed the Monster too, so let's go inform security management about it.
And so the party heads for the surface. The fish come back to swim peaceably.

End of Episode

No comments:

Post a Comment