Saturday, November 12, 2022

Kabukicho Night Festival Prologue Part 2 (Abridged)

There are others besides Ellie when it comes to what Kabukicho Academy calls vampires, but there are big differences. For starters, they're considerably obscure in Kabukicho, and no student at the school knows about their past. That vampire is Kresnik, someone who is forever closely linked to vampires. Like other vampires, he can transform into an animal and has regeneration nearly on par with immortality. He used that power to fight against vampires in the past, and he never talks about it with others. And now fate has brought him to teach vampires and nightfolk like Ellie...
Present, Kabukicho Academy staff room. Kresnik is at his desk looking at a paper a student gave him.

Sandayu: Man, I've been to a buncha schools and damn are the students here crazy too.
Kresnik: It's good that they're doing well in school, but I wish they listened to me more.
Sandayu: Yeah I remember my first day here. I come in and I see them calling ya by nicknames and not listenin' to anything you say. Who'da thunk an ex-security officer would be doin' this? Haha!

Sandayu is just sitting there talking for fun, and he knows what sorts of things Kresnik has done in the past and is now stuck with him. Nobody else is around, and Kresnik is less than enthused about having to talk to him.
Kresnik: I was surprised too, you know. I hear that we're getting a new temp teacher and it turns out to be you of all people. You're the professional operative for social disruption and subversion, Momochi Sandayu. I can't question why you're a teacher given that I'm here, but I won't show any mercy if you expose the students to any danger.
Sandayu: Hey hey, I already said I ain't up to that right now. I can't really ask ya to believe me after all we did fightin' against each other in the past though...
Kresnik: I don't believe you at all...but I'm no longer in any position to chase you. If you leave the school and my students alone, then I won't say anything.
Sandayu: I won't, swear on my heart. Cool? We'll both just focus on helpin' out the kids!

Sandayu: Subject change! I got a question for you, Krezzy.
Kresnik: Stop calling me that at work. And what is it?
Sandayu: What's this thingy? It wasn't a thing when I was at other schools yet.
Kresnik: Oh right, they didn't do that in those other schools...
Sandayu has a notice sent out by the admins to every school about a school function. Kresnik is about to explain when Sandayu cuts across him.

Sandayu: No, I know the details! I'mma teacher too, geez. I'm just wondering why it's a thing at all.
Kresnik: If that's your question, then knock it off seriously. It's just us in here, but who knows where there's eyes and ears watching and listening? But then again I don't think I need to tell you to not be careless.
Kresnik hasn't looked away at his student's paper until now and has marked off where it needs corrections. He's still not looking away as he keeps at it.

Sandayu: ...heh. You thinkin' what I'm thinkin'? How 'bout we get somethin' to eat and talk about teacher stuff?
Kresnik: Alright, once I'm done.
Sandayu stands up and looks at the pile of papers on Kresnik's desk.

Sandayu: ...and when's that?

Over at Shinjuku Academy, that school function thing Kresnik and Sandayu were talking about is happening.
One day after school, MC is walking down the hallway thinking about what they just heard.

MC: Hmm...I should talk to the gang about it. Sounds like fun.
Classroom
Shirou: MC, why were you called to the teachers' office?
Shirou walks over as soon as MC opens the door. Inside is everyone else waiting for MC to come back.

MC: They said something about a short term exchange student thing. I'm the rep for our school year.
Shirou: They picked you for that!?
MC: Yeah. I still don't get it, but it's a temp thing.

Kengo: What's up Shirou? Something happen with MC?
Ryouta: What? MC, you got picked to be our exchange student for another school!? Maria told me about that. Something about schools trading students for a bit, right?
Shirou: Correct. It's a system implemented among the schools of Tokyo meant to expand the views of natives and Transients by exchanging students as representatives.
Touji: I never thought they'd pick you for it. Won't that mean you'll be living your school life at a different school for the time being?
Moritaka: So MC has to leave us...?
MC: Can't wait to see which school I'll go to! / I don't wanna say goodbye, guys / Well it's just a temp thing
(A) Ryouta: It's a chance to make more friends! I'm jealous.
Moritaka: Hmm. Well a change in environment can also mean a chance for new experiences.
(B) Shirou: ...yes, neither do I. I should go talk with the teachers and--
Ryouta: NO WAIT calm down, Class Rep! If they already picked the school, they can't just change it like that!
(C) Touji: Always the optimist...but that's your strong suit.
Kengo: MC's right, it's only for a little bit. And we can always meet up after school.

Kengo: What school is MC going to for this exchange thingy anyway?
MC: Uh, it's printed out on this sheet here...
MC: ...Kabukicho Academy. They had a school? That's still inside the ward!
Ryouta: What!? So you aren't going that far out?
Shirou: It'd still be a big change to their schedule since Kabukicho is a night school. Plus...I hear most of the students there are Transients while Shinjuku isn't quite so heavily skewed. They've also got some bad rumors about them, but I can't deny that that may be because of mutual fear. That might be why this exchange program is so important. Still, I'm relieved. Since it's so close, we can come running if anything happens.
MC: How can you casually drop scary news like that!? / What kinda Transients? / I'll solve things with force if I need to.
(A) Shirou: Oh no! I'm sorry, remember they're just rumors!
Moritaka: It's okay MC. I'll help if anything happens!
(B) Touji: ...there's still plenty of natives who can't accept Transients even with more coming. The rumors Shirou heard could be baseless accusations those people have spread.
Ryouta: Who knows, you might make friends with them if you go see. Introduce me if you do!
(C) Kengo: Yeah, you said it! Show everyone that you're top dog! I'll go on the exchange too!
Touji: That's not something you can decide yourself, Kengo.

Kengo: Isn't this whole thing way too sudden? Wouldn't they have talked to you about it?
Shirou: As Kengo has noticed, the program basically isn't based on recommendations or applications, but rather the school arbitrarily picking students. I can't speak for the adults, but it's why us students aren't fond of it.
Kengo: You wanna say something nerd!? Who'd be happy about being picked out to do this crap!?
Shirou: Most students agree. I'd be confused if I were picked too.
Ryouta: Huh? Maria said the student going to her school was really into it...
Shirou: Oh yes, I've heard that too. Since Ophion nominated Aizen to go, it's been going relatively smoothly. It'd be nice if Shinjuku did that too, but none of us Summoners have an in with the school administration... (looks at MC's printout again)
Shirou: (This may be temporary, but it's still plenty burdensome on students. Besides which, I can't get a read on the goal of this somewhat forceful enforcement from the formal announcement. It's one thing if it we were using the program for building alliances with the Berserkers, Missionaries, and Tycoons but...no wait, it's still all conjecture. I shouldn't say anything to upset MC.)

Ryouta: Hey wait. MC, you were picked as the second year's rep, right? So there's other reps picked for this exchange program?
The door slams open and mobsters flood the room!

Touji: WHO GOES THERE
Red: Oh, relax y'all we got permission from the office. Can ya tell us where dem electric outlets are?
Shirou: That is a visitation permit from the office, yes. Uhh, the outlet is over there.
Red: Coolio, thanks!
The mobsters start plugging a bunch of stuff in and check that their stuff works.

Kengo: Speakers? Mic? What? Is there a show starting up?
Ryouta: Oh wow they have a disco ball! And some other stuff I've never seen before!
Click.

MC: The lights went out! / how'd you do that / yeah yeah, get on with it
The mobs gather by the door and start beatboxing into the mic.

MC: WHAT / uhhhh / Yeah!
Mobsters: Mic check complete, yeah! THANKS FOR YOUR COOPERATION! It's curtain call time in Shinjuku from our store in Kabukicho! Give a round for our surprise guest! YEAAAHH!
The bass is making the whole building shake, which of course draws the attention of every other student on the floor leaning out to gawk at the racket.
Wolf A: Hey what the hell man?
FLASH

Girl B: MY EYYYYEEESS
Fog machines start up and blow smoke by the class door. Someone is standing in it.

MC: I know that silhouette! / oh it's just Tsukuyomi / YAAAS KING
Red: Shinjuku Academy 3rd year and our number one bar host! A word please, Kabukicho Night King!
Tsukuyomi: Hi, did I keep you waiting my cute kouhais? I came to see you.
Mobsters: YEEEAAAAH
And that's how MC became an exchange student to Kabukicho. The Nightless City isn't only tied by fate to natives as a visitor from another world will be one of them too.
Shinjuku Park, someone suddenly gets summoned over there

Sphinx: ...where am I?
End of Episode

No comments:

Post a Comment