Thursday, May 19, 2022

Valentine Fantasy Episode 5 Part 1 (Abridged)

In Candyland, things are peaceful as children spend time doing things like make chocolate, play hide and seek, sing songs, and read books.
Children: (singing a creepy song about how the party is dying to various things)
Benten: Is that a nursery song by Mother Goose? What a delightful and creepy tune!
Licht: I never heard of those lyrics before. Can we hear some more?
Children: (happily repeat the two verses of how four of the six party members die out)
Benten: Weird. I know I never heard of this before and somehow I feel like I have.
Licht: Same.
Benten: Wait...
Licht: A sage, a musician, a hunter...it has to be a coincidence, but the numbers...
Benten: Okay fess up kids! Who taught you that song!?
Children: We don't know their name!
Benten: That means you know what they look like, right!? Licht, you're up!
Licht: But I'm not much of a forensic arti--
Benten: Shut up and draw! This might help MC!
Benten and Licht ask questions and draw up a familiar face.

Benten: ...it really is him?
Licht: Y-yes, it seems so. The King of Terror is--

Meanwhile, the party continues rescuing children from the Forest of Fear. Most of it has been cleared and rewritten to be Candyland again, leaving only a little bit left.
Boogeyman: ...okay, the next place is Mermaid Lake.
Boogeyman: ...
Itzamna: ...
Arc: ...MC, are those two fighting? They've been acting weird since you came back down the beanstalk.
MC: Not really... / Sorta... / I dunno
Balor: Ha. What's a pissy little fight between people who care about each other?
Cait Sith: Balor, don't say it like that!
Everyone can tell Boogeyman is hiding something.

MC: Aren't you going to ask? / He's definitely hiding something / Look at that fake smile!
Itzamna: I'm waiting for Boogeyman to say something. I know he's keeping something to himself from how he's acting. Everyone has a secret or two, and if it's something to talk about, then I believe he'll bring it up himself.

The party reaches Mermaid Lake. Someone is singing.
Boogeyman: We're here in merrow territory. Don't approach the water carelessly.
The party approaches the singing.
Mermaid: (sings the same creepy song about most of the party dying)
Mermaid: Oh, welcome. You're that dragon hero party I keep singing about. I haven't done anything wrong, just so you know! There hasn't been any children around, and the last one I saw, I sent back to Candyland.
MC: Sus
Boogeyman: Exactly. I sense evil from her.
Arc: Hey wait, I couldn't earlier because of the song but can you hear something?
The party can hear children crying for help. None are visible around, and Cait Sith's cats don't find anything either.
Cait Sith: But how!?

Mermaid: You're just imagining things!
MC: Boogeyman, you figure anything out!?
Boogeyman: All beings from this virtual world are based on a fairy tale, so that includes these mermaids.
MC: So what story? ...wait!
Boogeyman: !
Boogeyman looks into the lake and sees children in a cage at the bottom.

Mermaid: Aww, you didn't fall for it.
Balor: Oh right, there's stories of mermaids taking drowned souls to the bottom of the sea.
Rest of party: !!
Mermaid: Hey baby wanna be part of my interior decorating?
MC: Surrender, and give back the children! (readies sword)
Mermaid: Playtime!
BATTLE START (more happens after)

More mermaids pop out from the water, but the party thins them out faster than they appear.
Arc: MC, doesn't something feel weird here?
MC: Yeah they're weak. It's better than them being strong though.
Arc: Yeah, it's possible mermaids suck at fighting, but...
The rest of the party also thinks it's strange how weak the mermaids are, but everyone puts it aside until the last mermaid is taken down.
Arc: Maybe we overthought it?
The party gets closer to the water to save the kids, but Boogeyman instead dives into the nearby shadows of the trees.

Cait Sith: Boogeyman, what are you doing?
Boogeyman: O-oh, sorry. I'm not feeling well...
MC: You okay?
The party approaches Boogeyman.

Boogeyman: S-stay back! I'm okay...
Cait Sith: But we're worried about you!
MC: Hmmmm
Itzamna notices something first.

Itzamna: ...no! It can't be! (runs up and sees Boogeyman starting to fade away)

Itzamna: Boogeyman, what's going on?
Boogeyman doesn't respond.

Itzamna: Answer me!
Boogeyman gives a small smile at the usually placid Itzamna looking angry.

Boogeyman: That's the first time I've seen you look like that. This was why I didn't want you to find out...
MC: Boogeyman...?
Boogeyman: Haha, you guys would look sad for me too? I'd never thought that would happen when I was in Tir na Nog. I figured I'd disappear all alone. I hated the idea and scared the crap out of everyone, but now I'm weirdly at peace with it.
Boogeyman gives a genuine smile. Nobody can bring themselves to say anything.

Boogeyman: It's okay, I won't disappear just yet since my artifact still has some fear power in it. Me fading like this is like a side effect of the power dipping. It'll go away soon.
Itzamna: How long do you have?
Boogeyman: Dunno. Maybe until the next overwrite of the fear zone? Not long anyway.
Itzanma: Did you know this from the beginning?
Boogeyman struggles to nod.

Once more, with more details!
Boogeyman: Why can't the children who made chocolate go home?
Mirror: Because we have a new king. There's no way home. Oh no wait, there is one way actually. Boogeyman, go kill yourself.
Boogeyman is shocked and the mirror cackles at him.

Mirror: If the power of fear is taken out of your artifact, the core of this virtual world, everything will be destroyed. Everyone who was brought in will get booted out. Except you, haha!
Boogeyman surprises the mirror by smiling without a hint of despair.

Boogeyman: Cool, that's fine.
Mirror: wait WHAT I literally said you'll have to die for this! Kaput! An ex-Boogeyman! Pining for the fjords! Shuffling off the mortal coil, joining the heavenly choir! Aren't you scared!?
Boogeyman: Well yeah but I can't let the kids be terrified like this. This must be my karma coming back for me.
Boogeyman then thinks to himself that by sacrificing himself, maybe he'll leave a mental scar on everyone and they'll all remember him afterwards.

Present
Boogeyman tells the party he knew what would happen to him when he came out for this. Itzamna remembers Ded, who drew power from the legend of Santa. But even if the legend were to be denied, Ded's power would just weaken in scale. Itzamna had forgotten about the difference in power between those states, and how if a base legend's power weakens its existence could fade away.

Itzamna: Why didn't you talk to us about it sooner...? We don't want you to be the only sacrifice...
Boogeyman: It's fine. Even if I'm gone, there's someone like you to guide the children. So don't cry. A smile as bright as the sun suits you. (wipes tears from Itzamna's eyes)
Itzamna: No...I'm not as great as you think I am... If I knew you were going to disappear I would have said the truth earl--!!
Mermaids pop out of the lake and drag Itzamna in!

MC: NO!
And then giants surround the party! Someone steps forward.

Balor: ...okay, so it is gonna be that way. Thanks Grandpa Itzamna. There's only room for one Grandpa around here though, just like there's only enough room for one king here! Guahaha!
End of Episode part

No comments:

Post a Comment