Sunday, May 22, 2022

Live A Hero Melodic Meteorite Christmas Episode 5 (Abridged)

Several days later, the party has been staying at the Countermeasures HQ. The battle group has called over new heroes, shared intel, and spar. The R&D groups are doing last minute adjustments to the Pseudo Parallel Cannon.
Hisaki: Hotfix incoming! Sis, check the startup later!
Crowne: Yep! Let's see...no problems! Good work people! We can go to bed tonight until showtime tomorrow!
Others cheer as Crowne starts heading for her room.

Hisaki: Dang it's down to the wire! Tomorrow's Christmas Eve, huh. That was pretty fast. Doesn't feel real to me.
Crowne: Yeah, but Megas won't be waiting for us so we can't let our guards down.

Mokdai and MC walk in from further inside.
Mokdai: Hi guys! How are...actually are you guys okay?
Crowne: Yep, we just finished with things. I just got to take this all out to the site and put it together, and then I can take a break. Aren't you in the production group? Kinda weird for you to be here, so what's up?
Mokdai: Borealis and I finished the prep for the concert tomorrow, so I came over for a bit, but... (looks over at the mountain of cannon parts behind Crowne) Borealis says he wants the cannon to look like a Christmas tree...
Crowne: what
Hisaki: B-but this is a cannon it's not really meant for that
MC: Yeah he's serious, Crowne / We need it for the concert Hisaki / Borealis said so...

Mokdai: I told Borealis how Christmas is a big event here on Earth...
Flashback
Borealis: You said Christmas is a day you spend with friends and family, yes?
Mokdai: Yes, it was originally a festival for a saint, but here in Japan it's especially held to spend time with those you care about. I've always loved this event since it feels like everyone can be happy on this day! It sounds like the perfect time to have a concert since it'd interest tons of people!
Borealis: ...Christmas is good civilization. I've researched other planets, but none of them have a warm event like this. Since it has a lot of attention drawn to it, let's make Christmas the theme for the concert. We'll have to change a part of it, and since you're a part of this you'll need to think about the battle scene production.
Mokdai: O-okay, I'll try!
Borealis: Oh, and make the cannon look like a Christmas tree.
Mokdai: what
Borealis: An inelegant weapon will bore the audience, same as the stage decorations. Add more Christmas lights to the stage so people will enjoy things. The concert is for my audience! I will check on things later, so get ready for the polished production. Now get to it, we have little time.
Mokdai: O-okay!
Present
Mokdai: ...so I think decorating the exterior should be enough. I'll make sure it won't interfere with the functionality, so you think it'll work?
Crowne: Oh okay, no objections. I'm looking forward to seeing how much you'll pretty this up.

Borealis's concert has been announced everywhere in the country. Megas has also become a topic and even nearby planets know about its approach. Then on Christmas Eve, heroes who will be defending battle lines near the concert area have gathered nearby.
Crowne: Huh, so that's the cannon. You really did decorate it like it's Christmas.
Hisaki: And it's not blocking the VP loading and firing functions. Good job, Mokdai!
Mokdai: Thanks! It was really hard getting that giant ribbon ready.
Crowne: Yeaaah, kind of a but much for a concert that's only for one night.
Hisaki: But if you put it that way, so's the cannon. We need to do the last minute checks and prep it for its max charge shots.
Crowne: Oh right. Okay, we're going backstage to get it ready. Mokdai, MC, get us all the Views once the show starts!
MC: Right! We rehearsed a lot for this.

Crowne and Hisaki go.
Mokdai: The stage decor seems fine. Now we just have to do it...I'm getting nervous!
Narihito: Hi Mokdai, there you are! A ton of stuff got delivered and they asked me to bring it here.
Mokdai: Thanks Narihito. That must be the super heat resistant robes the government sent us.
Narihito: Oh okay. We should open it up and distribute them quick.
A sudden wind blows in, and the party turns to see a large spaceship come in.

Mokdai: Looks like Borealis is here. I thought so before, but wow his ship is big...
Narihito: Yeah, private ships aren't that big! I think it's as big as mobile public facility ships? We only saw the entrance, but I bet there's streaming halls inside.

Borealis walks out to general surprise.
Borealis: ...hmm. Not bad. The lights and cannon look brilliant.
Mokdai: Thank you! I asked for the stage to be made of resistant materials that could survive through the battle. And just as we planned earlier, once the broadcast starts we'll be supporting this area.
Narihito: If any Micros fall near the stage, you'll be directing us while we get rid of them and stop them from disrupting the concert. That's where these robes come in.
Borealis looks at the robes. They definitely look like they were produced with defense and functionality as the main priority.
Borealis: What? You plan on fighting in the concert dressed in THAT?
Narihito: B-but the Micros will be falling around here after hitting atmospheric entry speeds. We need the robes even with our hero suit protection!
Borealis: Rejected. Those robes do not have the visual design needed to please viewers. Is there no fashion designer here? Can't you get these robes remade with a Christmas design?
Mokdai: Now??? But...

MC: How about we ask Sui? / We have to call Maculata!
Narihito: W-well they are designers, but can they get through all of these robes now...? Then again I can't think of any other ideas at this point...
Mokdai: Sorry, I didn't think about the design of the fire resistance robes.
Narihito: It's not your fault! We all did what we could! And I don't think Borealis is saying that to pull our legs. If we have the perfect production along with Borealis's directions, we'll have a soul shaking performance. Getting all the details sorted out is how we get all the Views we can. There's not much time, but let's try calling them!
Borealis quietly closes his eyes while Mokdai looks inspired.

Mokdai: You're right! If the outfits are eye-catching we might get even more attention. Getting Views is my job today, so I can't get down. We should call now!
MC: Let's split up the work. I'll call now! Mokdai, you carry the things! 

Borealis opens his eyes upon confirming that Mokdai and MC are working on things. He looks at Mokdai's back.
Borealis: ...we have only a few hours left. I'll do some last minute checks on my instruments and drones. Inform me as soon as possible if problems arise since they may affect the concert. Also, MC? I want to leave the operation and my transformation to you this time. Can I count on you?
MC: Wait, me? / Well okay... / Of course!
Borealis: Normally I would ask a collaborator, but right now since I must cooperate with others it may be wiser to streamline the operation to one person. Also, I'd like to try fighting while experience your sound. ...Narihito, where do I reach the backstage from here?
Narihito: Oh! I'll show you the way! I'll help with anything you ask me to! I'll even carry your things!
Borealis: W-what? I don't need an assistant...but do as you please, as long as you don't get in my way. Mokdai, get those robes sorted out.
Mokdai: O-okay! I'll bring them to the designers myself!
Borealis nods to Mokdai, puts in his earplugs, then heads to the stage.

Narihito: Yay I can have a personal interview with Borealis backsta--I mean I can personally help him myself! Then I'll go to the streaming site!
And so everyone splits off to do their thing.

Title card: Many Happy Returns

Mokdai and MC bring the robes to Sui and Maculata. On their way back to the concert site, other heroes start going to their assigned places. Once they get back to the concert area...
Mokdai: ... (sigh)
MC: Mokdai?
Mokdai: ...oh, MC. Something up?
MC: Oh, not really... / You seem down
---
(A) Mokdai: O-oh, sorry. Were you worried about me?
(B) Mokdai: N-no I'm not! I'm just nervous about today!
---
Mokdai: Hey can we talk a bit? Things are gonna start soon. (scoots over on his seat in the stands to make room)
Mokdai: ...when I look at the sky it doesn't really hit me that meteors and Monsters will be falling soon. Aren't you nervous, MC?
MC: Not really / Totally nervous right now
(A) Mokdai: ...oh, I wish I were like that. I'm super nervous now, and now I feel kinda lame as a senpai.
(B) Mokdai: ...yeah, same. I feel lame as a senpai now...

Mokdai stares at the sky with a weak smile.
Mokdai: I've been thinking about things...like how to get people to pay attention, or how to make a beautiful video. I've never been on a stage this big before. It's a battle and a concert, on Christmas to boot... It's a new challenge for me to try putting so many things together, and once I start fighting I won't be able to handle any video details in real time, so I have to get as ready as I can in what little time's left. But... (sigh)
Mokdai: I keep worrying that I might mess something up or miss something. Can I really pull things off if I'm feeling so uncertain...? And here I thought I'd gotten more confident since becoming a hero. Sui and Maculata are working hard on a rush job while Crowne and Hisaki were building things on no sleep. Huckle's been training hard, and I'm sure Akashi and Ryekie did all they could to help people. And now I'm worrying that I'll waste everyone's efforts after we got this far. (puts hands on chest)
MC: You were worried about that? You could've talked to me about it.
Mokdai: Hehe...I didn't want to worry you. I was really happy when Borealis put me in charge of the battle production. It felt like he approved of my work, and I never even did anything like this before. And of course I'd want the leads to look even better here. I never thought about how messing that up could mean the end of the city.
MC: Yeah, you really can't mess up here...but you always do such good work. I know you've worked hard!

Mokdai: ...thanks MC. But I think I need to think about this. Feels like I've gone back to being a total newbie.
Mokdai seems to ooze impatience and anxiety.

MC: Huh. Were you different back then?
Mokdai: ...I wasn't a hero then, so I thought supporting Huckle and Ryekie was my job. I may have studied up on video editing and production, but before I took the job I was just some other civilian who liked watching streams. Thinking back, maybe that was why I was able to cheer heroes on without feeling responsible. Like if I failed, the heroes would still help me. ...maybe somewhere in my mind I thought I wasn't part of the battle.
Mokdai stares into the distance, and MC thinks carefully on their word choice.

MC: You may have been like that in the past, but has your thinking changed since?

Mokdai: Hmm...it's hard, but now I can think I can protect everyone as a hero. There's lots of times I've thought I had to do something, thanks to all the battles I've been in with you...but deep down, I don't think I've changed much for better or worse. I've always wanted people to enjoy the videos I put up. If I were in the audience I'd want a video that'd blow my mind. Now the big show is about to happen and I'm losing heart again... (sigh)
Mokdai: ...even after all those battles I've fought, the hardest one is facing myself. There's times when all your weaknesses come bearing down on you, even though now's the one time I want to believe it'll be okay while I prepare as best I can.
MC: I think everyone feels a little afraid trying something new.
MC stands up and stretches. Mokdai looks over, and MC looks back.

MC: But you got past some hurdles back when you were new. Let's do our best together this time too.
Mokdai: ...MC
MC: ...maybe that sounds kind of uppity to say to a senpai?

Mokdai: ...nah, thanks MC...that's right. I've gotten past problems before, so I can't be losing heart now!
Mokdai also gets up and stretches, then takes in a deep breath.
Mokdai: Maybe things were just too convenient for me when I made someone happy while not being confident. Making everyone happy comes from a bunch of efforts coming together, which I'm confident about. Plus, this is a great chance! I can't be afraid of messing up the whole time! It's Christmas! I have to enjoy it with everything I have, and I'll make it so everyone can enjoy it!
MC: There's the Mokdai I know! Let's keep it up!
MC's phone gives off a faint light.

MC: Huh? Is this...!?

Later
Narihito: There you guys are! Sui and Maculata just sent the Christmas robes backstage! Since the livestream will start here, we should put them on first. Here you guys go.
Mokdai: Wow, thanks! They really pulled it off in that short amount of time!
Narihito: Borealis is done with his prep too. I think we're starting soon. I hear everyone else is already suiting up, so we should get transformed and stand by.
MC: Already!? / Okay, let's do it! / I'm transforming you two both at once!
MC transforms Narihito and Mokdai.
Mokdai: Okay, time to put the robe on...wow this design looks like Santa!
MC: You guys look great! Now to put mine on.
Mokdai: You look great in it! So warm!
Narihito: These have been made to match our races, so they fit perfectly! Time to get ready for showtime!

Flashback, at least ten years ago at the refugee camp at Fukuoka
Mokdai: (happily hums) Hey, think the soup is ready yet?
Kid A: But they said they were starting on it like five minutes ago!
Mokdai: Aww...smells good though! Hey, wanna sneak a taste?
Kid A: Yeah! But we're not sneaking a taste, we're checking if it's done yet!
Adult B: I can hear you guys! Settle down for Christmas already! If you don't be good Santa won't come! Ya hear, Mokdai?
Mokdai: Ow, my ear! Yah I hear, leggo!
Mokdai's first memories is of life at that camp. He doesn't remember his home planet, but it doesn't bother him much. Everyone at camp is like one big family. They may have been poor, but life was so busy.
Adult B: Mmm, soup's good. Mokdai, call everyone over!
Mokdai: Okay!
There wasn't that much, but the adults never forgot to celebrate Christmas. They adapted quickly to the Earth custom hoping the children would at least have one wonderful day out of the year.
Mokdai: Wow! C'mon let's all sit down and eat! ...ahh, it's great! I helped cut the veggies! Isn't that awesome!? Hehe, is Santa gonna come this year?
The place was dimmer than the city's bright lights, but even here people were excited and happy. Mokdai loved how everyone would smile on that day.

Present
Borealis: MC, transform me too. Can you help me?
MC: Okay! Execute!
MC transforms Borealis.

MC: It's just like back then! / You're so cool!
---
(B) Borealis gives a small smile before returning to his default expression and walks towards the stage.
---
Borealis: Mokdai, the preparations are ready. How's the broadcast? (pulls out his baton)
Mokdai: Ready. The audience waiting for things to start is alre--OH MY GOD LOOK AT THEM ALL!
Narihito: That's a ton! I know how they feel, looking forward to Borealis's concert!

Crowne calls.
Crowne: Mokdai, you read me? Megas is coming in as scheduled. Time to start battling! Megas will land in exactly ten minutes! Get that VP rolling in!
Mokdai: Got it! Guys, time to get started!
Narihito: Leave it to me! I'll give my all to defend Orient City!
MC: It's time... let's do our best, people!
Everyone nods.
Borealis: ...let us begin the directions. Mokdai, start the broadcast.
Mokdai: Starting broadcast in 3... 2... 1... action!
Mokdai checks the stage monitors, then signals to Borealis. Borealis bows to the camera, then begins the music. A flick of his fingers, and his drones start playing. The music starts quietly and softly, and cameras point at Borealis from various angles.
Narihito: Oh my god, a live performance by Borealis my mind is blown!
Mokdai: It's pulling me in...but we need to help support the show.
Narihito: Right. View count is going as predicted. Mokdai, keep checking the monitors! I'll go backstage and stand by on the other end! I'll come up on stage if any Micros come by!
Mokdai: Okay! MC, check the stream's view count!
MC: Okay!

The three nod to one another, and Narihito runs off. Mokdai talks to MC while checking the backstage monitors.
Mokdai: ...hey MC, I just remembered a Christmas time when I was little at the Fukuoka refugee camp. We didn't have much, but I loved spending Christmas with everyone together. The city was bright with lights, and we all had warm soup. I'll never let Monsters ruin all that.
Snow starts falling.
Mokdai: Today's Christmas Eve, so I'm sure there's tons of people looking forward to it. But people are stuck evacuating and suffering because of the Monsters, so I want to produce a video that will make them happy for today at least!
Mokdai looks over, smiling with determination.

Mokdai: Hero lives really do need to make people smile and give them courage! ...and I can't forget to have the courage to face myself. I want to be proud of myself, even when I was just a newbie who could only watch!
Beep beep
Phone: New Path detected. Target: Mokdai. Connectivity: Very High
MC: WHAT / Let's make that wish come true!
Mokdai: Yeah, I'll do everything I can! I'll make the best video as the best present, so I'll protect Christmas!
MC: Contacting new Path!
A different light than usual covers Mokdai, and when it goes away Mokdai is in an alternate hero suit.

Mokdai: WHAT hey wait is this a new hero suit!? Wow! Santa really came! Now it's my turn!
MC: It's a fluffy suit! / You look great in it Mokdai! / C-can you actually fight in that
(AB) Mokdai: Hehe, I have to be Santa this time and give people the present of happiness!
(C) Mokdai: I'll be okay! I feel like I can summon a sleigh!

The concert is starting to crescendo.
Mokdai: ...it's almost time for our part. I'll do my best with the new power you gave me, MC!
Mokdai flexes and smiles, and MC nods at this. Hisaki starts calling Mokdai in another conference call.
Hisaki: Mokdai, Narihito! The first wave of Micros is coming in a few minutes! The Views are coming in, so try to hang in there until it's firing time!
Micros start falling down the sky like shooting stars.

Narihito: Got it! Guys, I'm ready over here! The heroes at the other Micros fall sites are starting up their streams too.
Mokdai: Understood! Focus on defending the cannon! Borealis, can you hear us?
Borealis: ...yes. Time to begin our war ballad!
Borealis raises the tempo, adding string instruments to the bells. The performance changes to a new tune along Mokdai's setup. Stage lights shine like a parade, and even the Micros look like a part of the performance.
Mokdai: Perfect! Now Narihito, Borealis! Time to beat the Micros in tune with the music! MC, I'm going in too! Operate for us!
MC: Right!
Mokdai leaps into the fray!

Mokdai: It'll be okay! We'll have a great Christmas for sure!
BATTLE START

No comments:

Post a Comment