Monday, May 9, 2022

Valentine Fantasy Episode 4 Part 1 (Abridged)

Flashback
Itzamna (narrating): One day this man suddenly came up to me. My first impression was that he was distant and moody.
Boogeyman: I want you to design a cyber world. Could you?
Itzamna (narrating): He said it was to teach fear into children and wanted it based on his home world. I was going to say no because I didn't want to be complicit in traumatizing children, but I could see how anxious he was for children's futures the way he was so desperate.
Itzamna: ...okay. On one condition.
Itzamna (narrating): My condition was that I made a sweet candyland in that cyber world. He disapproved at first, but he eventually agreed. Maybe he had no one else to ask. And that's how I made this virtual fairy tale world with Boogeyman.

Later in the flashback
Itzamna: I think you're overdoing this.
Boogeyman: But that's the point. It won't stick otherwise. Think of the terror of fairy tales as a necessary evil. We have to be afraid of things that scare us. They won't need it once they become adults as they'll forget it completely. That's why it has to stick with them, and it's necessary for a fairy tale.
Itzamna (narrating): I remember us being diametrically opposites as teachers. Then again the things we saw were very different. I was afraid of flawed things, and he was afraid of flawless things more than anything else. Somewhere along the way I sort of accepted his goal in my own way. Maybe the children who leave here will think they just had a scary dream, and then they'll get along better with their friends and family.

Itzamna: So Boogeyman, the children you bring in are the ones who aren't getting along with their friends and family. Why them, if you don't mind me asking?
Itzamna (narrating): By that point I thought we had something of an understanding. I wondered if he'd open up a little to me. He struggled to get his answer out.
Boogeyman: ...I thought it'd be a waste since they have something I can't. I never had anyone like that... I was just jealous.
Itzamna (narrating): That was the first time Boogeyman looked lonely to me.
Itzamna: ...you struggled to get this far? I'm jealous you can say that.
Boogeyman: What?
Itzamna: If you struggled to live, then I failed to die. I just watched my brothers go to their deaths with their heads held high. I am no sage, just some cowardly lizard...

Itzamna (narrating): I think of El Dorado's teachings and my fellows who continue sacrificing themselves fearless of death. I kept telling them I wanted them to live, and that if they live they might rise up one day. My teachings was my own form of rebellion, but maybe that was me being trapped by my flaws as well. Can I really say I lived if all I looked at was not dying?
Itzamna: ...as a friend I respect how earnestly you face things.
Boogeyman: N-no, wait Itzamna. A foul fairy like me couldn't possibly be a friend...
Itzamna: Haha, we already are. Or do you not want to be friends with someone old?
Boogeyman: N-no, that's...not what I mean...
Itzamna (narrating): I was glad to see some color blushing on his pale face. Amazing how our relationship changed after not liking each other at first.
Boogeyman: Thank you Itzamna-sensei for calling me your friend.
Itzamna: That's the first time you called me Sensei. What brought this change of heart?
Boogeyman: N-nothing, I just felt like it.
Itzamna (narrating): That night we shared drinks and wished for this fairy tale world's success.

Title card

Itzamna: ...
MC: What's wrong Grandpa? / Something on your mind? / I thought you were sleeping.
Itzamna: Oh, MC. I was just thinking about my first meeting with Boogeyman. It hasn't been long, but I'm already nostalgic about it. I must be getting old. *(looks over at Arc)*
Arc: It's okay kids. We're here, it's safe now.
Cait Sith: Hey, listen! Doesn't this fun music make you happy?
Balor: Laugh, brats! A king tells you to jump, you say how high!
MC: One of these things is not like the others / HEY / You're gonna make them cry!

Boogeyman stands a ways away as he watches the party try to cheer the kids up. Itzamna walks over to him.
Itzamna: Boogeyman why are you standing over here? Why do you think we came all this way?
Boogeyman: Well...I'd just scare them if I came over looking like this. It's just how fairies like me are. I've already accepted this, so could you leave me be?
Itzamna: Are you saying children who aren't included because of their looks should give up too, Sensei?
Boogeyman: ! ...
Boogeyman: Well that was harsh, Sensei. Couldn't you be gentler with a sore spot like that?
Itzamna: Hahaha, well a certain someone taught me that sometimes you just have to push someone over the edge.

Boogeyman lets an amused snort out at decides to try cheering up one of the children as he walks over and crouches next to them.
Boogeyman: Hey little boy want some chocolate?
Jiangshi: STRANGER DANGER, WAAAAH
Boogeyman: Urk... w-well parents and guardians do call the police on me and call me suspicious a lot... (gets into fetal position and flops over on the ground)
Cait Sith: Mewahaha! Try this, Boogeyman! (whispers)
Boogeyman: ...is that really going to work?
Cait Sith: Yep!

Boogeyman tries again.
Boogeyman: Look, it's chocolate. Now watch as I close my hand. 3, 2, 1, and... (uses a branch as a makeshift wand and waves it at his hand. He then opens his hand to show the chocolate is gone)
Boogeyman: Now why don't you check your pocket now? Maybe the fairies gave you a present.
The child checks their pocket to find a fairy-shaped chocolate.
Jiangshi: Wow! How did you do that?
Boogeyman: The fairies smiled on you for learning what you did wrong.
Jiangshi: Will they come again if I stay good?
Boogeyman: Yep! I promise. So don't forget what you've felt here...
There are still some children afraid of Boogeyman, but several of them still smile and say they will, which is enough to lift his spirits.
Boogeyman: Huh, this is way less bad than I thought it'd be. It's still really outside my wheelhouse... (catches sight of Itzamna out of the corner of his eyes and scratches his head in embarrassment)
Itzamna: Hahaha.
MC: You seem happy, Sensei / Good for you, Boogeyman.

Itzamna: I'm glad to see my friend change since being old means it's hard to change how you think, especially for those of us deeply colored by our worlds' faith...well, maybe I'm the one who changed since I was able to start calling Boogeyman Sensei. I changed how I saw him, and he changed how he saw the world. It goes and goes, and that's how the world changes. I wish I figured that out earlier.
MC: Grandpa? / Itzamna? / Sensei?
Itzamna: Life is always linked with regrets about how you should have kept going, Brother. But those regrets are why we're in this world now. Everything is connected, so you shouldn't give up no matter what happens.
MC: Right... / I don't know what you said but okay! / Did you say something?
Itzamna: Oops, I went on a lecture. It happens when you get older. I should join in with the children too and...hm? (notices the plants moving unnaturally)
Itzamna: MC! Beware the ground! 

Suddenly a giant plant springs out of the ground!
MC: WHAT! A beanstalk!? Which means...
Jiangshi: HELLLP
Giant: I got me some kids! It ain't over that fast! *(grabs onto the growing beanstalk and rides it above the clouds)*
Boogeyman: Stop! Let them go!
Itzamna: Boogeyman, don't panic! We need to regroup and go toget--
Boogeyman takes the beanstalk up.
Itzamna: I see. They finally noticed us and decided to make a move first...alright then, I'll go after Boogeyman. The rest of you handle things on the ground. (grabs onto beanstalk growing up)
MC: Wait! / Me too!
Itzamna: (grabs MC's hand) How reckless. Did I grab you too hard?
MC: I'm okay. / Weren't you reckless too? / I'm afraid of heights...
(A) Itzamna: I see. Hold on tight so you don't fall off.
(B) Itzamna sees a familiar face through MC.
Itzamna: Haha, nicely said. In that case, hang tight so you don't fall off!
(C) Itzamna: Sigh...close your eyes and hang on tight.

The beanstalk eventually brings the two above the clouds.
Arc: There they go. I wonder if MC is okay?
Balor: He's with old man Itzamna. They'll be okay.
Cait Sith: Yeah! We gotta worry about ourselves!
Giants surround the rest of the party.
Giant A: Gehehe...the rest of the kids are ours!
Arc: You think we'll let that happen? You must not think much of us.
Balor: MC not being here means I can do some delicious ultraviolence, right...?
Cait Sith: I can't tell who the villain is anymore so I'm changing the subject with some BGM!
And so the forest is filled with the screams of giants and the music of cats.
End of Episode part

No comments:

Post a Comment