Thursday, July 6, 2023

Live A Hero Chocolate Festa Memories Episode 6 (Abridged)

MC: Here it comes, Procy! Go!
Procy: Star Platinum!
The evil birds split!

Procy: Goddammit, they keep doing that!
Anna: Omigod they just keep popping up like quick grow daisies!
Phein: We need to destroy the main unit!
Suhail: Ha, we just need to be even faster than them!
Suhail yells into his megaphone Parallel Weapon and batters the Monsters! The Monsters try to fly away!

Suhail: Looks like I get the kill! Put your backs into this, losers! Heavy Voice "Vox Ex Machina"!
Suhail's megaphone fires light waves all around!

Phein: What? This is Suhail's weapon's power? So he does realize we're fighting as a united front.
Anna: Like, no way! Feels like I'm getting buffed up! Thanks Su-Su!
Procy: Suhail helping bugs me, but now's not the time to complain. Don't think you can fly away from me, birdbrains!
Anna: Pro-Pro, aren't you just floating around?
Procy: SAME DIFFERENCE! Get back here, birds!
Procy kicks off and zooms at the birds!

Procy: I dare you to try tanking this! Honor Code "Storm Knuckle Cornucopia"!
Procy punches so fast he's making light speed lines!

Bird Monster: B-bawk!? Lovelyyyyy...! (poof)

Procy: Whew! Looks like we're done for now. I'm still mad I'm not getting paid for this! MC, you sense anything?
MC: I do, so it looks like the big one is still around hiding somewhere. Careful!
Phein: Then we best stay on guard. That was a little tiring, but it should still be close. We should look for it.
Anna: Yeah it'd be, like, REAL bad if it went towards where everyone is sheltering. Don't push yourselves too hard, okay? The worst thing to happen is if we go down! If you're tired, leave it to me! Emancipation "Liberty Calls"!
Anna dances and her veil shines, casting a healing light on the party.

Procy: Whoa, this your power Missy? It's kinda like Gomeisa's power, except different. Relaxing, sorta.
Phein: Yes it--actually it feels more like energy is filling me instead of calm?
Anna: You're both right! My power frees the hearts of people, so it hits different to different peeps!
Procy: Wait, it directly affects minds and hearts? Huh, that kinda does fit you.
Anna: Inorite? Isn't my dance awesome, Phinny!?
Anna turns to Phein. A shadow falls on her!

Bird Monster: CAWW
Phein: !! Get down!
Phein bodyblocks for Anna and counters! The bird dodges and flies away.

MC: Phein! You okay!?

Anna: Phinny!? I'll heal you! (casts Heal)
Phein: Ugh. Sorry Anna, I'm okay now.
Procy: ...sheesh. You're not saying that out of pride, right?
Phein: ...I'm fine. Protecting the weak is my job.
Suhail: You got guts. Real manly of ya. Also I can't believe you fought every battle so far keeping Anna and MC safe.
MC: He is the hardest worker / wait what / You did...?
Anna: What, like fr!? Oh come on Phinny, I'm a hero t--
Phein: You and MC are a student and an Observer. The weak should not be in the front lines and I don't care if you disagree...so stop this and go evacuate. Remote operation is good enough.
MC: ...Phein, why do you care about that so much?

Phein: ...that face isn't going to work. I'm not arguing about this anymore.
Phein is determined.

Procy: ...ugh, you seriously think they'll buy that Phein? At least tell them why if you want to get your point across. So...this really IS connected to that day I ditched slum town? You were acting weird. Talk.
Phein: ._.
Phein: >:C
Phein: Procyon, YOU...!
Phein bites back a bit.

Phein: ...you'd never understand. And the past can't change, you guys know that...leave me alone. (looks down)
Procy: I'm not running anymore.
Anna and Suhail are surprised as Procy grabs Phein by the collar and pulls him look up!

MC: Procy!?

Phein: ...you bastard!
Anna: No, don't fight guys!
Procy: Nah, it's cool. When we gotta have things out, we need to hit things head on sometimes.
Procy looks at Phein and takes a deep breath.

Procy: If you got something to say, spit it out for crying out loud!
Procy: ...the day I left, I never really talked and heard you guys out or gave a thought about you all. I was glad as hell to get out to get rich, and I hated every word you did say to me. I now get that it felt like I was ditching all my friends there...so I'm not running anymore. Now's the time for you to say what you didn't, Phein. It's a long time coming, but tell me what was on your mind back then. I was still chief then.
Phein: ...chief? Why would you say that now after all this time...?
Phein tears up.

Phein: ...fine.
Procy puts Phein back down, and a piece of candy falls out of Phein's pocket. Phein picks it up before he starts talking...

Title Card: A Single Piece of Candy

Flashback!
One rainy day

??? ...big brother, where's Dad?
Phein: ...
Phein's way younger brother pulled on his sleeve. Phein takes so long to answer. Their dad suddenly disappeared one day, and Phein knew painfully why. It wasn't that he was eaten by a Monster or anything...he just couldn't keep on living like so anymore. That's all.
Phein: ...it's okay Mirzam. He'll be back soon.
He won't, but that's what came out of Phein's mouth. The two huddle together in their beat up ramshackle hut, and Mirzam eventually falls asleep.

Phein: ...Dad.
Phein's breath catches in his memories. Anger and resentment mix with the hatred of being abandoned, but still he keeps calm.

Phein: ...can we survive like this?
Phein's poor. It's a question he'd have asked at some point. And then one day it all fell apart...

Later
Phein: ...it's a shift at the coal mines later. Still got some time before then.
Mirzam: You're still working, Big Bro? Aren't you going to school? ...don't push yourself too hard.
Phein: You're up? I'll bring something to eat tonight, so sleep until then.
Mirzam: ...okay, thanks. Is Dad coming back yet...? Sorry Big Bro, school seemed like a lot of fun...
Mirzam's voice sounds weak. The weight of responsibility weighs heavy on Phein as the hope of living gets ever farther.
Phein: ...it's okay Mirzam, I was thinking of stopping by the school soon.
Mirzam: ...okay. Take care Big Bro.
And so Phein walks off without looking back.

Slum town school
Procy: You sure are late. The teachers left already.
Phein: ...oh. I just came for a change of pace.
Procy: From what?
There's something comforting about seeing Procy sitting where he always sits.

Phein: ...nothing. Procyon, I have a question for yo--
Someone keeling over in slum town happens like all the time, and life being a struggle to survive is beaten into everyone's heads. Most people therefore don't have the brainspace to ask much about others, but Procy still does. They make small talk about rumors helping children and dreams of getting rich. Whatever it is that makes them get up in the morning.
Procy: Everyone calls me a chief, but I never thought of myself that way. Your support helps me be free to do whatever, so thanks.
Procy's the only man he'd call chief, even now. His casual appreciation for Phein's presence is validation for being there.
Phein: ...oh. You have a dream...
Phein (narrating): Procyon and I always talk about the same thing, and it tells me my home is here. And I have to protect Mirzam and our home too. It's about time to get to work.
Procy: What? You got something to say? Then spit it out al--
Phein: ...sorry, I gotta go. I might not have time to come by again for a while starting tomorrow.
Phein (narrating): I have to do whatever I can to survive...

Things got even harder for Muliphein. He had to make a living in his father's place, and that wasn't easy. He struggled to earn money and food for him and his weakening brother, but he managed somehow. Every night he picks up every job he can, and on his day off he goes gathering whatever food he can.
Phein: ...I'm going out. You sure you're okay, Mirzam? You look sick.
Mirzam: I'm okay...I just need to sleep and I'll be better... (Asian drama cough)
Phein: ...don't push yourself. Here's some water. I promise to bring back some food. Keep warm since it's cold out and close the door...I'll be back.
Mirzam nods, and Phein goes out. No work, no food, gotta find something. A whole day searching later...
Phein: ...I can't find anything at all. Isn't there--huh?
There's a piece of candy on the ground in the shopping center backstreets.

Phein: ...candy. It's not that filling, but Mirzam likes it. He'll feel better with something sweet. Heh...
Phein pockets the candy like it's treasure. Mirzam will be happy to have anything at all, and Phein can just imagine his smile.

When Phein gets home, he calls his brother's name, but for some reason the door is open.
Phein: ...Mirzam? I thought I told you to shut the do--
Phein hurries a bit. Mirzam isn't one to break a promise, so something must have happened.

Phein: Mirzam, I said to--
Half the walls of the dingy, broken cabin are destroyed, and things are strewn on the ground. Mirzam is lying on the ground, his breaths ragged.
Phein: MIRZAM! W-what happened!?
Mirzam: B-big...Bro...
Mirzam's face his pale, his body chilly, his voice weak. He still sounds relieved to see Phein.

Mirzam: Lots of...strangers...came. Looking for...Dad... They...got mad and... I tried to stop them but... (coughing fit)!

Phein runs over to Mirzam. There are no big injuries on Mirzam, but at this point he can't handle what little damage he does have. His temperature is dropping, and he goes paler by the second regardless of the cold weather.
Phein: Mirzam! It's okay, I'll save you...!
Phein takes his top off and covers Mirzam with it. The candy he pocketed falls out.

Phein: ...right, I found candy! You like candy!
Phein tries to keep his voice steady and upbeat.

Mirzam: ...candy? I love candy...
He's getting colder and colder. Phein unwraps the candy and holds it up to Mirzam.

Phein: Come on, open your mouth. You'll feel better soon.
Mirzam: Big...Bro...are you there?
Mirzam's eyes are dark and blank.

Phein: Yeah, I'm here.
Mirzam: I already knew...Dad won't come back, but you...always said he would.
Mirzam's hand gently grabs at Phein's chest. It's all he can manage.

Mirzam: You...eat it...I can't...
Mirzam pushes the candy into Phein's mouth.

Phein: Mirzam...why...?
Mirzam: Big Bro...thanks for...always... I'm... sorry...
...

Phein: ...AAAAA!!

Later
Phein: ...
Phein lived on because of that candy.

Phein: ...I couldn't protect him. I...
Phein's eyes look dead, trapped by something. He spent days just sitting in his broken home until his stomach pushed him to move.
Phein: ...still? Even now?
Phein got up and started searching the slums for food. He only needed food for one now...and then a familiar voice.
Procy: 'kay, I probably won't come back, so take care of things. Oh, Muliphein!
Phein: ...oh, Procyon. What?
Procy: Right, I hadn't told you before, but I got a one way ticket to blow this joint and go make money.
Phein's heart aches in the face of Procy's dream. He was the boss who could save children, but he didn't save Mirzam. He could have done it, but... wait, that's all the wrong tack to take. Phein was just weak and powerless, and he just failed to protect Mirzam himself.

Phein: ...leave me alone.
He didn't want to think. His brother was gone, capital D Dead as opposed to their dad being gone somewhere. What was Procyon saying? He couldn't remember, but he got that he was going somewhere far away. And it was hitting him that he just assumed he'd have a home if Procy was around. Besse was there, and all Phein could get was that Procyon was rejecting his goodbye gift. It reminded him of Mirzam giving him back the candy piece.
Phein: ...you're so selfish.
How were the weak like Mirzam supposed to survive in this town after Procyon leaves? Is he abandoning them all to die? Like he's abandoning him?

Phein: What kind of chief are you? You're no chief in my eyes!

Self-blame. He couldn't make his brother happy, and his short life was marred by misfortune. He let him die. If only he had the strength to protect him. Someone has to protect them. If only had he the power to do so...
Procy: ...Muliphein, stop. I can see you're unstable. I dunno what happened but...if you're that unhappy with how I do things, you should protect them yourself. I'll be gone anyways. And people trust you. If I'm not good enough to be chief, suits me just fine. So if that's all you gotta say, go put your money where your mouth is.
Phein: What!? Procyon, you--!
Easy for him to say. He could've done what Phein couldn't so easily. People weak as Mirzam can't live on their own...and Phein doesn't want to see it happen anymore.

Procy: ...take care, partner.
Phein: ...
Phein watched him go, unable to say anything. If he didn't want the same thing to happen, it was up to him to protect the weak. What right did he have to say anything about chasing dreams when he let his brother die anyway?

Present
Procy: Phein...
Procy can't say anything more. He could apologize for not knowing, but he held back. It'd only be for his own sake. It wouldn't help Phein now, or back then. So he pulls his hat lower.

Phein: ...I gained the ability to be a hero that day...but I looked like this. I thought it was a change from gaining experience, but it didn't seem that way when I saw other heroes.
MC: It's not supposed to be like that? Maybe the transformation is incomplete? Seems like it's related to all that backstory...
Phein: (shakes head) ...I just don't want to see the weak fall before me. It'd be better for them to stay away from me.
MC: But there has to be a reason for your suit to be the way it is. What did you wish for when you became a hero? ...tell me about your dream.

MC looks right at Phein. Phein looks away as he answers.
Phein: ...I wanted the power to protect the weak like my brother. I wanted them to live happily, even as weak as they are...Mirzam was unhappy. We had little good food, and our home was cold... and I can't give him any of that now. Not that he could ever expect that from me looking like this. (looks at crack in armor)
Suhail: (crosses arms) ...sounds like you're saying the weak can't be happy.
Phein: ...it's true. Sometimes all they have is taken by force. If they can't resist, they'll fall on their own, so they must be protected.
MC: ...so that's your reason, Phein.
Anna: ...so, like, I can't understand everything your brother felt, but I know from looking at you that they were really sad, Phinny. But...was he weak fr?

Phein: (raises brow) ...Mirzam faded away. He wouldn't have died if I protected him.
Anna: But, like...didn't he try to protect your home? (looks right at Phein)
Anna: He was scared, but he did it anyway right? So he wasn't weak...anyone that brave is strong in my book.
Phein: ...not like we can find out anymore.
Suhail: (snorts neutrally) Okay so we aren't similar much, but I also lost a friend before my eyes. You said you didn't accept Procy as a leader anymore back then, right? *(looks at Phein and Procy)*
Suhail: THAT part, I get. You accept whoever or whatever on your own terms. My boys just told me they wanted to come with me, and that was the only way they had to show their feelings. You bet your life to defend someone, you get cute minions out of the deal! So I'm gonna love them all, because isn't that awesome for them? HAHAHA! You think Anna and MC are weaklings, but I think they're fun and that's good enough.
MC: ...is that a compliment? / Sounds just like you / So manly...

Anna: Phinny, can I ask you something...? Are you against making friends because it hurts to lose them?
Phein: (looks away)
Anna: I'm so glad I found out! I was thinking about it this WHOLE time since I met you! Don't worry, I totes promise to never make you sad! I'd like totally hate it if you were gone too, so I getchu Phinny. Same vibes! (smiles)
Anna: Aren't we, like, the same? With our goals and motives getting all messed up, I mean.
Phein: ...what?
Anna: Uhh... you know how I like dancing? When I saw this like SUPER awesome dance, I thought I found what it meant to be free! So I wanted to dance like that, so I could send vibes to so many other people...but then Daddy was like "OMG NO???" and harshing on my dream, so I went all in on studying dance so I could shove it into his stupid face!
Anna: (smiles wryly) ...turns out I got things mixed up. I didn't start dancing because Dad said no. I did it because I wanted to. That's what I mean, Phinny. Didn't you say you were okay with people hating you, but you wanted to protect everyone? Like, doesn't that really mean you love people?
Phein: !?

Phein: I... like people? No, I'm doing this...for myself. I'm just working so I don't see what I don't want to see. But...you think the same way, Anna?
Suhail: Haha she told you good! You're not bad, Anna. Wanna join my crew when you graduate?
MC: No! / God I wish that were me
Anna: Su-Su, you're a villian and pirates do, like, bad things right? I'm a hero, so no. I'm gonna be the best dancer ever so--OH WAIT, BRAINFLASH! Su-Su, what if you and your whole crew turns hero!? I am a genius!
Suhail: !?
Suhail: ...pffft, HAHAHAHA! You're tryina reverse hire me over!? That's hilarious! Well we can make a dance studio on our space ship just for you. How about that?
Procy: Stop joking about trying to pick her up!
Suhail: Who says I'm joking? ...wait what?

Procy: This can't be good! FINE, we'll just have to punch them all out! Phein, ready?
Phein: ...y-yeah. Huh? Where are Anna and MC? ...WHAT? They're up front!?
Procy: Pay attention already, dammit. I know you worry, but they aren't just weaklings...not that we should leave it all to them! Come on, let's go! ...and thanks for telling me about the stuff earlier.
Phein: ...
MC: Phein, Procy! Let's start the operation!
Anna: Yeah, EmmySees!
Suhail: Where'd that bitch bird go? UGH, I should just blast them all at once! Look alive, people!
BATTLE START

No comments:

Post a Comment