Thursday, February 23, 2023

Live A Hero Virtual Fest Royale Episode 1 (Abridged)

Remember how last summer we had heroes fighting each other to be number one? It's that time again! Team Parallel Flight is walking down an underground hallway beneath Raidark HQ. Matrix Capsules abound.
Mokdai: The O-1 Hero Grand Prix is here again! I was confused when I heard about it earlier, but seeing it all now is making me excited!
MC: Down here? What is all that? / Wait what's happening
---
(C) Mokdai: We had the O-1 Hero Grand Prix before. Summer thing, heroes fighting each other. This year we're going virtual for it!
---
Huckle: Raidark's focusing everything into rebuilding Orient City, so they had no resources to get an arena ready. Instead they had an in-house group develop an SR arena area for the competition, and those capsules will link us in. We're here to get in and access the event area.
Akashi: The Supervirtual Reality World The World Neoaxis, huh? Even I've heard about it. But can we really fight in it like we can in the real world?
Mokdai: D-dunno. But isn't it exciting? You can move just by thinking about it!

Ryekie: Hahaha! Real heroes don't get to pick their battlefields, Akashi! And being in a virtual space means we can get heroes from all over the universe! Doesn't that sound great!?
Crowne: Apparently we'll have the most participants coming here ever. I'm surprised they got that many capsules ready for it.
Mokdai: Yeah, that's why I'm personally excited! I might get to talk to heroes I might only get to see on away trips! You think I can get autographs!? Even e-signatures!?
Akashi: Nerrrrd. You think this is a fan club meeting or something?
Sui: I heard we're randomly mixed into new teams instead of sticking as an agency, right? 5 people teams of 4 heroes, 1 Operator...I wonder if I'll do well like this.
MC: Wait what!?
Huckle: Well lots of people were hoping to get in, so there's special rules put in. The competition is a round robin setup, and the scoring is the same as last time. Viewers give points and your score accumulates throughout. There's the best team, best hero, and best Operator categories, and you'll need to beat out great rivals if you want those titles.
Yoshiori: So we'll have to fight our agency mates eventually? I dunno if I can do it if I have to go against Exio...
MC: What if it's me? / Simp / Nice outfit!
(A) Yoshiori: Why are we talking about YOU!? No mercy for anyone!
(B) Yoshiori: N-NO I'M NOT
(C) Yoshiori: Yeah, Exio's looking great today! ...wait, me? W-well...thanks then.

Exio: Heh, no use holding back on me if I'm against you. You know how this is. I've seen your abilities as an ally, but not as an opponent yet so this could be interesting.
Yoshiori: O-oh...! I'll do my best if I go against you then! You'll see how dependable I can be!
Melide: This is getting exciting. It was worth it asking you to join.
Monomasa: Yeah. I never expected to be in here too. It's nice to have battle events too.
Melide: I didn't think you'd be into this.
Monomasa: Well, "Monomasa" wanted a break, so this is good timing.
Okitaka: Hey y'all! Doin' good Huckie and friends?
MC: Okitaka! / whoa those clothes / Nice outfit!
(BC) Okitaka: Look good, don't it? I'm off at my day job too. How's Summer Okitaka lookin'?

Huckle: Okitaka. You're participating too?
Okitaka: Yup, the newbies are lined up too. Go easy, ya hear? Then again we might be on the same team! Oh wait right, work. Look, there's someone who wants to see y'all. Over here!
Sadayoshi: Hello, it's been a while.
MC: Col. Ikusabata! / OMG, NOT military fatigues! / Cool clothes!
---
(C) Sadayoshi: Huh? O-oh, thank you. It feels awkward seeing someone I met through work while out of uniform...
---
Okitaka: I just ran into him, starin' at y'all all flustered. I decided to talk to him and now here we are. Cute how scared he was.
Sadayoshi: N-no I wasn't! I was just...wondering how to speak up to someone I've worked with before after so long while not in a work context. This is embarrassing.
Okitaka: Dude, relax.

Mokdai: Hello, Col. Ikusabata. You know Okitaka?
Sadayoshi: Japan's Defense Bureau cooperates with UEHA, so I often see him. The commander always greets me amiably, but I'm awkward personally...
Okitaka: Holy cat, just take a chill pill and stop worryin' about how to talk to me!
Sadayoshi: I-I haven't been worrying about that!
Akashi: bruh
Okitaka: In other news, Raidark sure put in a ton o' money into puttin' this all together. This was cheaper than settin' up a physical arena? I get how it's marketin' the product placement up front to more people tho. And they stuck a tagline about a battle for the #1 Cyber Hero.
Ryekie: It helps us too! Now we can market ourselves even further across the galaxy. And this time we get cyber battlefields to allow for different terrain and combat types for other hero specialties. This could work out for us too!
Sadayoshi: So we can experience other planetary environments while remaining on Earth in an SR-RPG? I suppose we can think of it as training.
Okitaka: Ohhh, I get it. Raidark is advertisin' its new tech to customers and we can show off to fans in new stage battles. That ain't bad at all. They scratch our backs, we scratch theirs.

PA System: Online systems ready. Particpants, please enter through your assigned pods.
Okitaka: There's the bell. See y'all in the game!
Sadayoshi: Excuse us, and good luck.
Huckle: I hope we all do well. See you later.
Huckle: Okay everybody, time to split up. Don't somehow hurt yourself in cyberspace.
MC: Yes sir! / Good luck guys! / I'll do my best!
MC goes to their assigned capsule.

MC: Uhh... put on this visor, this collar thing, and put my hand here...
MC settles in and the capsule closes up. It's dark during login, but things start filling in.

System: Biodata read. Avatar setup complete. Transferring...
System: Welcome to The World (of Neoaxis)

Title Card: Virtual O-1 Grand Prix

MC is in a cyber plain. Wind blowing. Grass smells. Yep, sure feels real.
MC: This is all virtual!? Oh my god, space tech is amazing.
Moving around feels just like moving in reality. Someone is calling to MC. Also a message window pops up.
Sys. Message: Team assignments completed. Your team is... MC, Operator from Parallel Flight. Toshu, Hero from Heroic Educators Japan. Shaft, Hero from Global Drivers Union, Earth.
MC: Toshu and Shaft! Yay, familiar faces!
Sys. Message: Cerastium, Hero from UEHA France. reXer, Hero from Neotalents Production, Pro Gamer subdivision. Press OK to teleport to meeting area.
MC: who are they
MC clicks OK.

MC warps to somewhere else.
MC: omg teleporting!?
MC is on top of some hill with a nice view. There's a world tree and a town at its roots because of course there is. Definitely needs a reminder that this isn't reality.

MC: Nice, I'm in a fantasy zone.
???: Hello! Are we on the same team?
Someone's calling from behind. It's some big horned lady in dark gear walking up looking all serious.

Cerastium: Can I see your team ID? I'm AX-177.
MC checks their phone to find a new menu added to it. Clicking on that opens up the team ID.

MC: Oh, same ID. So that means you're...?
Cerastium: Oh good, it matches. You don't seem to be a hero, so I guess you're MC?
MC nods. Cerastium stands up straight for a formal posture.

Cerastium: Pleased to meet you. I am Cerastium La Forge, riot policemember and hero of UEHA France. Let's do our best together, Operator. (smiles)
MC: I'm MC, nice to meet you! / Riot police!? / Pretty...
(A) Cerastium: Hee hee. I feel a little better having someone close to my age around.
(B) Cerastium: Yes, I fight on the front lines. Isn't that cool?
(C) Cerastium: ...! O-oh...thank you.

Cerastium: You can call me Ceras. Everyone in my squad does, and we're going to be teammates. (stares at MC)
Cerastium: By the way...you're in Parallel Flight, yes?
MC: Y-yes...?
Cerastium: I knew it! That means you...talk to Justice, right?
Cerastium looks excited as hell.
MC: Y-yeah...why? You a fan?
Cerastium: Yes, I want to ask about more...but not now Ceras. Justice isn't here. Since they work with him, I want to ask their thoughts on the idea of justice...but if I suddenly start talking about that, they'll think I'm weird! And then what if they bring that to Justice's lovely ears!?
MC: O-oh. So she has her quirks too.

???: The HUD is pointing...oh, over there! It's them!
???: Seems so. We've finally rendezvoused then.
Two more people are coming. It's Shaft and Toshu!

MC: Shaft! Toshu! / oooh, Shaft in casual clothes...
---
(C) Shaft: Oh, right this is my first time meeting you in casual clothes. Every other time was work. I haven't worn casual clothes much since doing a job with a uniform, so this was back from my athlete days. Do I still look good in them? Hehe...
---
Shaft: It's been a while, MC. Thank you for your previous patronage. Today I'll be working with you as a hero instead of a space taxi driver.
Toshu: Was the last time the workshop? I never expected to fight alongside you. Still, I'm glad to see a familiar face. I am in your hands.
Toshu walks over, noticeably awkwardly.

Shaft: Toshu...? Are you okay?
Toshu: I-it's nothing. This feels different from the real thing, so I am just a little disoriented.
MC: Y-you okay? / Huh, I got used to it fast / Is it really that different?
Toshu: STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT! I have trained in roaring flames and dense forests! This will be nothing to me!
Cerastium: Excuse the interruption, but I take it you're my teammates?
Look, Cerastium is calm now.

Cerastium: I'm Cerastium, from UEHA France. Pleased to meet you. I checked your data earlier, but I see you're based in Japan. We're from different cultures, but as warriors I can feel some similarities to you. And you, I've heard you're a space taxi driver...
Shaft: Heh, well it's hard to tell what I can do without my beloved car here. I'm Shaft from Global Drivers Union. Nice to meet you.
Toshu: A Western soldier? I am Toshu from Heroic Educators. Regards.

Cerastium: I'm a little jealous that everyone already knows everyone besides me.
Shaft: I do see them often around Orient City, but it feels weird seeing them here in both cyberspace and at somewhere so pretty.
Toshu: I suppose it is picturesque, but... (looks at the ocean)
Toshu: A seaside city? If there are various battlefields, I suppose we'll have beaches or even inside the ocean...
Cerastium: Y-yes, most likely. I heard a lake shore come up as an example earlier.
Toshu: Oh... (frowns)
MC: Something wrong, Toshu?
Toshu: ...no. Worry not, I shall fight well no matter the stage.
Cerastium and Shaft: ???

Shaft: We're still missing someone. They should be here by now.
Someone warps in. It's reXer!

reXer: Free warps are great. You my teammates?
Cerastium: I-I guess, since you're here? Which means you're reXer?
reXer: Yep, that's me. Pro gamer and cyber hero. Nice to meet you.
MC: Nice to meet you / Literal alienware color scheme! / Hot...
---
(C) reXer: Oh...well thanks. I'm a cyber hero, comes with the territory.
---
Toshu: What, pro gamer? How do you fight? Zipzap sounds and bouncing balls to break bricks?
reXer: What time period did you fall out of!?
Shaft: Oh he's what's used to be called an esports player. Competitive gaming. reXer's part of the mu-Hyperions gaming team, that one strong and famous group.
Cerastium: You sure know a lot, Shaft. Are you into games?
Shaft: Oh, not really... I'm an ex-rugby athlete and esports and physical sports are close enough. reXer's famous as a gamer and a hero, so everyone knows him!
reXer: F-famous? Hehe... Ahem, yes. I fight in games and defeat evil offline.
MC: So that's why you're a cyber hero? / I think Mokdai's watched you before / oh so games are sports these days now...

Shaft: I never expected to team up with reXer, what an honor! He hasn't made a media appearance in a while so the industry people were wondering if he retired. When he did come back, he scaled back his appearances and people wondered if he'd skip the Grand Prix and--
reXer: Oh no! The look of innocent faith! I mean, I've just been busy with stuff. As a pro gamer, I figured it'd be appropriate to make my official comeback at a game event.
Shaft: Oh, makes sense.
reXer: ...so yeah.
MC: Hmm...
reXer: Now that I'm here, we're sure to win. Which is why I want to ask you guys to let me handle everything.
Toshu: Beg pardon?
reXer: I'm saying I want to solo all opposing teams. I won't mess it up.
MC: I-is that a bit much?

reXer: We're in a game world and I'm a pro gamer. Wouldn't it be smarter for me to carry the team?
Shaft: B-but this is supposed to be a team thing!
Cerastium: Teamwork is about trust and working together. Your plan is unacceptable!
reXer: Yeah, that is ideal, but I get a slight edge here for being a pro gamer. So please leave it to me. I'm confident in my gamer and battle skills, and I promise to get us the gold cup.
MC: We're not getting through for some reason, but I get he's confident...
Toshu: You have no faith in our abilities, don't you!?
reXer: Don't get me wrong, you guys are strong. But that's in the real world. If we're going to win here, it's best for me to pull the team along.
MC: Then why would we be in a team? Isn't that sad?

Toshu: Cease your jests! I at least am not here for victory! My only goal is to test my strength, and I have no intentions of being carried by you. What meaning is there in a crown you did not fight for?
reXer: W-well...because this game has a championship title, and that's enough! It's the entire reason this world exists!
Toshu: Hmph. Everyone has their reasons for fighting, and your suggested one is not the only one. All you have said thus far is a desire to win. Why care so much?
reXer: Well... (looks down) ...it has nothing to do with you.
MC: wait what
Toshu: It has everything to do with us. If you insist on suggesting fighting every match alone, you must convince us of your plan.
reXer: ...I said it's got nothing to do with you! It's my own personal problem! ...I-I mean, I have my own circumstances, and I'd like you to not press me about it.

Shaft: Oh no, we have to stop them!
Cerastium: W-wait, Shaft!
Toshu: I said that plan is unacceptable! Who would agree to that!?
reXer: What!? But I--
Shaft: H-hey, guys! Let's all chill out for a bit! We're supposed to be a team, and we're gonna lose if we fall apart here!
Cerastium: R-right! This may be an ad hoc team, but we're still comrades in battle! Let's try to get along, okay?
Toshu: But...!
reXer: ...
Toshu and reXer have a short staring contest. reXer breaks off first.

reXer: ...just leave things to me. I at least...want to win too... let's go to town. That's where the other teams are gathering. (walks off)
Cerastium: W-wait, reXer!
Toshu: Hmph. He never did explain himself.
MC: Welp...this looks bad.
The party follows after reXer. The O-1 Grand Prix is on!
Offline
Someone is sneaking around the capsule hallway. He looks at the capsules as he walks up the stairs, then hacks his way past a security locked door. Inside are a bunch of computers on racks beep booping away. The guy smirks.

End of Episode

No comments:

Post a Comment