Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Live A Hero Chapter 5 Episode 8: String-Cutting Scissors (Abridged)

Down at the foot of the Invisible Mountain the party sees wilderness. Also...
Jellyfish: (blobs angrily)
Kyoichi: Goddammit these things are spawning infinitely! (dodges) Whoa!
Akashi: Senpai! Sheesh these things just don't quit!
MC: Of course we find them here! Getting tired!
Sui: There's definitely more of them than before.
Crowne: If these things are a defense line for the core, then of course there'd be more of them!
Ryekie: It's taking all we have to survive through all of them, it doesn't matter what our situation is!
Mokdai: I know but...oh no I can't keep up with taking them out!
Toshu: Stop whining and remind yourself that it's good we're in an open battlefield!
Shoen: I want to start whining though...we've been fighting for half a day now.

Melide: The heroes are starting to tire. The Paths are starting to tighten too...
Exio: Well the Paths are also affected by the heroes' mental states too... The more tired they get, the harder it gets to continue battling.
Yoshiori: Stop being pussies and put your backs into it. The core's almost ahead.
Monomasa: Don't be crazy, Yoshiori. We aren't all soldiers like you. Heroes are still regular citizens too, and plenty became one without having and special or intense training. Only a handful could have as much stamina as you.
Barrel: Hey! Some of us have gone through rigorous training at the police school and at UEHA training area! We wouldn't get tired from just this! Eat space lead, jellyfish! ...oh no my gun jammed!
Furlong: Oh no Barrel, are you okay!?
Gammei: Meathead must be getting tired too if his bullets are starting to fall apart!
Victom: But we have to beat these things to get to the core...I'm starting to worry we won't be able to hold up long enough!
MC: Yeah this is bad! / Any ideas for winning?

Ryekie: None of that matters! We HAVE to win, that is our only choice now that we made it this far!
Jellyfish: (blobs menacingly)
Ryekie: So I'm gonna keep on going forward! THUNDER FIST!
A tentacle suddenly pops up by Ryekie's feet.
Ryekie: !?
Mokdai: Oh no!
Ryekie: Out of the goddamn way!
More tentacles pop out from the ground.
Akashi: Justice! Dammit, the tentacles are all over now!
The party's escape route is now cut off by tentacles.

Melide: The giant Monster is focused over here now. Here it comes!
Kyoichi: Frantic dodging! It just grazed the top of my head!
Toshu: This situation is terrible! It was bad enough with just the smaller Monsters!
Sui: ...Ryekie! More are coming!
Ryekie: Huh? ...ahhh!
MC: Ryekie! / Justice!
Ryekie: I can't keep up with what I'm seeing! Is running all I can do!? If only...he were here...!
???: Mr. Ryekie! Stand there and stop!
Ryekie: !? (does so)
A tentacle gouges the area in front of where Ryekie is standing.

Ryekie: That voice! It can't be...!

Huckle: Mr. Ryekie! Are you okay!?
MC: Director!
Ryekie: H-Huckle!?
Mokdai: Director!? Why are you here!?
Huckle: Mr. Ryekie! There's less people over at 2 o' clock! Draw the tentacles there, and you should take some pressure off the other heroes!
Ryekie: Got it! Come at me, freaks!
Jellyfish: (blobs in pursuit)
Huckle: Mr. Ryekie! Don't forget about the other Monsters! 3 are coming from 7 o' clock!
Ryekie: Copy! Lightning Blitz!
Huckle: 2 more from 4 o' clock! Draw them in a little longer and you can blast them all at once!
Ryekie: Right, here goes!
Huckle directs Ryekie to efficiently eliminate the Monsters, just like he did back in his Observer days.
Akashi: Whoa...
Sui: He knows all of Ryekie's moves...but isn't he...?
Crowne: He only lost all his memories from when he was an Observer. Which means he's directing Ryekie using what he remembers from when he was a hero!
MC: He's used to giving him directions / so that's their teamwork /whoa...

Barrel: Oh no, Monsters are heading towards Melide!
Jellyfish: (blobs aggressively)
Melide: Ahh!
Monomasa: Melide I'm coming to sav--
???: SHINING PUNCH
Jellyfish: (blobs in punch out)
Monomasa: What!?
Sadayoshi: ...I was cutting it close there.
Monomasa: YOU!
MC: Col. Sadayoshi!?

Exio: Hmm...interesting.
Yoshiori: What the hell are you doing here!?
Sadayoshi: I came to help.
Mokdai: You...help!?
Sadayoshi: ...I'll explain later. The Monsters are coming. MC, I apologize for my presumptuousness, but may I place myself under your command? At this point I cannot continue asking a Defense Department Operator to continue assisting with my dereliction of duty.
Gammei: Wait, the Defense Department didn't order you to come here?
MC: Uhhhh...okay???
Sadayoshi: Thank you. I will repay this debt with my efforts.
Sadayoshi smiles briefly before looking serious again as he faces the Monsters.
Sadayoshi: Command transfer protocol, complete! Chief Ikusabata Sadayoshi of the National Defense Department's First Hero Battalion has withdrawn from the Defense Department's command and is now taking to the field on his own judgement!
Jellyfish: (blobs in alien shrieking)
BATTLE START (more happens afterwards)

Sadayoshi: Colonel Punch!
Jellyfish: (blobs in YGO monster destruction noises)
Sadayoshi: I can keep going!
Jellyfish: (blobs monsterfishly)
Barrel: W-whoa...he destroyed something with a single punch I couldn't in a single shot...
Gammei: And his movement and feet work are so efficient. He's definitely a Defense Department soldier.

A jellyfish slips by Mokdai.
Mokdai: Oh no, it's getting away! Colonel it's coming near you!
Akashi: They're concentrating on him!
Yoshiori: They're going after the biggest threat! He's surrounded now!
Furlong: I'll come help!
Sadayoshi: No, please stay away actually!
Toshu: Why?
Sadayoshi: I don't need to hold back against Monsters, especially in a wide open space like this! MC, could you send me about 20k VP!?
MC: O-okay! Is this gonna work!?
Sadayoshi's arm and leg attachments start glowing and spinning rapidly.
Sadayoshi: Super jump, up!
Sadayoshi: Firing super move! Resolution "Evil Crushing Shining Fists"!
Sadayoshi hits the ground so hard it cracks and releases light that erases the Monsters.

Ryekie: Whoa, was that his super move!?
Green Jellyfish: (blobs in straggler)
Huckle: Mr. Ryekie! Last one!
Ryekie: Got it! Justice Punch!
Green Jellyfish: (blobs in fading into light)
All enemies defeated, the area is calm for now.

Kyoichi: O-okay, looks like we're good for now. The tentacles have stopped attacking too.
Shoen: We shouldn't let our guard down, but I'm still tired.
Crowne: Damn, Huckle and the Colonel coming when they did really helped.
Victom: Yeah, but... (looks at Sadayoshi staring blankly at the sky)

Sui: What's up with him?
Huckle: ...I think he's had a large share of troubles getting to this point. He still looked conflicted when he brought me here.
Sadayoshi: ...this is the first time I've defied my orders and let my personal feelings pull through. What am I doing? I'm supposed to serve the people of the country and devote myself to them...
MC: Why are you here? Why are you so conflicted?
Sadayoshi: ...I don't know. I was leaving my post before I realized what I was doing. Since then I've kept thinking about what it is I could do as I acted. I couldn't sit still since I don't want the city to be gone either...
Sadayoshi is having mixed feelings as he struggles to continue talking.

Sadayoshi: I was supposed to have suppressed my selfish emotions. But when I realized you all had the same thoughts and desires I had...I couldn't hold it back anymore. I moved without considering this was rebellion against my orders...that's all. I don't know what to do from here...
Monomasa: ... (has mixed feelings as he looks at Sadayoshi)
Ryekie: ...hy.
Mokdai: Ryekie did you say somet--oh my god!
Huckle: ! (gets grabbed by Ryekie)

Elsewhere
Osaka, future capital of Japan and National Defense Department HQ

Manager John: We have a new report about Colonel Ikusabata's dereliction of duty. He has joined with the rogue party and is fighting within the quarantined zone.
Manager Jacob: So even the great Ikusabata family falls short. Their pet dog lacks discipline. I knew we should have appointed a true pureblooded Japanese citizen to protect Glorious Nippon.
Manager Jingleheimer: What do we do? We have a pointless complication added but the HFCM is already ready to go. We can't just stop it now. Trust in us has already been damaged, and we already spent all that money to get here!
Manager Schmidt: How crafty of them to livestream their fight to the nation as they go. If we fire the HFCM now the citizens will distrust us in turn. The whole nation will think we did an act of evil.
Manager His Name: Do we really need to think about it that hard?
Manager Is My Name Too: What do you mean?

Manager Jugemu: All the people out there fighting are calling themselves heroes, which means they can stand up challenge Monsters and fate.
Manager Goko no Surikire: Oh I get it. So if they meet their fate after a fierce battle with Monsters, you could say they truly became heroes from a certain point of view.
Manager Kaijari Suigyo: Yes, but that assumes they get eaten by Monsters and retconned from existence.
Manager Suigyomatsu: I see what you're getting at. It's true we won't get a reputation hit if things go that way, and if anyone still remembers them they'll see them as heroes still.
Manager Unraimatsu: Right. What we're doing is something we just couldn't stop. Theirs is a noble sacrifice for the majority of Japan's citizens. Or even all of mankind!
Manager Fuuraimatsu: Yes, we just need to repeat that over and over and give our condolences.
Manager Kuunerutokoro: Hmm...
Manager I Ran Out of Lines to Continue This Joke: Welp, I'm convinced. What a tragic accident that's going down.
End of Episode

1 comment:

  1. What will Sadayoshi do next, I wonder? Will this Act of Rebellion call forth a new path for him? Or will it cause him to spiral down a similar path to someone else's here?
    I'm excited to read more about his decision here once it gets translated here.

    ReplyDelete