Friday, March 11, 2022

Christmas Showdown Epilogue Part 2 (Abridged)

The police students are enjoying the festivities, and the Santa School students are busy moving things around. Everyone gathers up front for the Santa Sendoff preparation. Off to the side, MC watches as Tajikarao comes to talk.
Tajikarao: Hello MC. They're moving things along with the ceremony, aren't they? Things happened the way they did, but is that really okay? The police are not a monolithic rock, and there are some with no understanding of Transients who stray from the path. And then there's the differences in values and perspectives with citizens as well. Can we really show Hermes what the right way is?
A moment passes.
Tajikarao: ...no, wait. The one who decides what path they walk is the person walking it. Instructer Hougen and I will watch over him. Would you keep him in your concerns as we--MC?

MC approaches Tajikarao quietly, smiling and flustering him.
Tajikarao: W-what's wrong MC!? There's no need for you to get so close! Are you saying you want to have a wild party here with me!? P-p-please wait! I know this is also a party thanking us police students but--*(suddenly handcuffed)*--WHAT
???: Wow, you sure are nice with people. But that's why you have good coworkers and friends who care about you. Not bad!
Surprise Hermes!
Hermes: Oops, turns out I can't stop with my role work!
Tajikarao: WHAAAAT!?
Over where everyone else is
Touji: That voice!
MC: Oh no Tajikarao! / I wonder what happened / I'm gonna check it out!

Back to Tajikarao
Tajikarao: When did you change clothes!? No wait actually, how did you escape the police car!?
Hermes: Secret...okay I guess I can tell you. A certain somebody showed me how to get out. Bailing right then and there seemed like a good idea, but I wanted to come see some people here. Sorry about things Tajikarao, I am like super broken up about it. Since everyone's cared about me so much, I'm gonna think about my future in my own way. I might never change the way you say I will, but I now I wanna think a bit about what I do for work. I felt worse than I thought I would about this whole thing. Next time I'll find another thief and make them my patsy! But first I'll go look for where I belong here in Tokyo.

Tajikarao: Hermes...
Hermes: So I'll be in your hair again! Catch me if you can!
Tajikarao: Whaaat!? Putting aside how I feel about it, I can't possibly allow you to do what you want when you say that's what you'll do!
Hermes: Aww come on. You and old man Hougen are gonna watch over me, right?
Tajikarao: Not like THAT! Let me out of these handcuffs! When did you even take them from me!?
Hermes: Oops butterfingers *(drops key down Tajikarao's shirt)*
Tajikarao: Oh no you slid the key down my back where I can't reach it!
Hermes: kthnxbye
Tajikarao: STOOOOOP

MC: Tajikarao what's wrong!? / Why are you handcuffed!? / Is that Hermes!?
Tajikarao: Oh, MC! Good timing! Take off my shirt!
MC: You what!? / So bold... / Just your shirt?
Tajikarao: No, it's not like that! The key to my handcuffs is inside my--stop, Hermes!
Fire Cop: Senpai what is all the noise about
Shadow Cop: Oh, is this a bonus round to the training? Like an exhibition match between you and that guy.
Fire Cop: Ooh. Good luck Senpai!
Hermes just runs past the cops, waves at those nearby, and yoinks some drinks along the way.
Benten: Hermes? What's going on?

Hermes runs through the crowd and Assassin's Creeds his way up to the roof, where he takes a breath before yelling out to the crowd.
Hermes: Jiraiya, I can't say much but I'm taking your advice! Benten, tell me when you're having your next concert and I'll see you there!
Jiraiya: Nice
Benten: Hey if you're coming to my concert you better cheer from the front seats! ...hey wait, are you debuting as a phantom thief for reals!?
Hermes: Hey, Not Ose! You're listening aren't you? I get you back next time and trounce you!
Ose: Huh. I wasn't expecting him to escape today with that advice. But it's good to look forward to the future. I learned a lot this time as well, but it's ironic you took the advice of those who cared for you and became Phantom Thief Hermes for real. But it'll make things interesting, so okay. I expect you to get to the point where you put up a good fight.

Taromaiti: (I notice Hermes didn't call out to me, so I guess he doesn't want people thinking Cafe Asterism is supporting him, but why didn't he say anything to MC?)
Hermes: Nomad...or Sherlock, whatever! Take care of that police guy next to you! If you need an information broker, call me!
Nomad: Dammit is that where he's going? But I guess him going it alone fits him better than assisting me. Hermes, the next time you step out of line I'm coming for you!
Tajikarao: Who's taking care of who!? I swear I will arrest you one of these days!
Hermes: Good luck with that! Bye! (dramatic cape swish)
Hermes: (pops up elsewhere) Merry Christmas, and see you again! (hops across the rooftops and grabs onto a sleigh flying out to leave)
Hougen: Oh, full of surprises all the way to the end. But we have chivalrous thieves here in Tokyo too, so I'll keep an eye on him for now. If it helps the new cadets to brush up and train, then no complaints from me! ...bleh, I guess I can't be that carefree, huh. Emergency meeting time then. And I hope that spy finds something useful on the chief!
Black: Did someone in front of me say they'd be naughty!? I see you have chosen DEATH! By presents of coal and lead bullets!

Once all the Santa students go, only the police students are left. Hougen makes an announcement that puts them all on alert, and MC as a private citizen is asked to go home.
MC: Touji had to stay? / Hougen must be busy / Hermes didn't say anything to me.
---
(AB): ???: You know if you walk around alone at night you could get attacked by someone, right?
(C) ???: Of course. I was waiting for a chance to talk to you alone.
---
Hermes: Sup MC? I wanted to say goodbye face to face...you mad at me? About kicking up a fuss among everyone and leaving like that?
MC: Eh, that was your choice / No, but I was surprised / Hell yeah I'm pissed!
(AB) Hermes: Heh, I thought you'd say that.
(C) Hermes: Dude, what? I'm sorry! I didn't want to hurt your feelings...wait, you're kidding? You pulled one over on me!? Well I figured you'd forgive me...even if it was only in form.

Hermes: Y'know, I was thinking of letting the police take me away and starting over from scratch. But after talking with everyone and rethinking what it was I really wanted, I realized something even though I thought I'd become an upstanding Transient up until now. In my home world I acted like a role model, but I don't have to do that here. Everyone is living life in a way true to themselves, which meant I never needed to be a role model back in Olympus either. There must be a way for me to live as myself here in Tokyo. And...what Tajikarao said was right. I'm not thinking you'll accept this, so for the time being I'm gonna live away from everyone. It's still too much to live openly in regular society.
Hermes: The Santa ceremony was a huge successful party, and everyone was laughing and enjoying themselves. No one cared about social positions...honestly, I was jealous of that. I know I don't have to worry about whether it was okay for me to join them, but even if everyone said it was okay, I'd feel the difference between myself and them personally. It's just...I did a lot in my home world...and now I finally feel like I can face my own role. But until I can clear it up, I'll watch you guys from afar for now.

MC: Where are you going? You came to say goodbye? I can't see you anymore?
Hermes: Just for now, at least. No, wait...uh, how do I say this? I might be disguised and nearby? No wait, that's not what I want to say...
Hermes scratches his head as he thinks for a while, then decides to give something rather than say something.
Hermes: Hey, MC? Could you take this?
MC: A flute? The one that came from Ded's bag. I think it was a reed flute?
Hermes: Yeah. Same thing I once gave to my best friend in Olympus. I want you to hang onto it until I come back. (blushes)
Hermes: ...you said you wanted to be friends, right? I was super happy you said that. But right now I'm not looking for people to be with me. I want to become someone who can be with you. It might be a bit much to ask but...I'll come back as soon as I can, so will you wait for me?
MC: No rush / Okay / Or we could stay like this
(AB) Hermes: ...thanks. (smiles sincerely)
(C) Hermes: ...you're a player, aren't you. Stop, I just made a decision and you're making me want to go back on it. This is me making my own boundaries my way. (awkwardly scratches cheek)

Hermes walks MC as far as Shinjuku Station to see them back home, the place they first met and now the place they'll say goodbye.
Hermes: ...if you ever need my help, blow on that. I'll come flying from wherever I am. (holds hand out)
MC: Take care / (shake gently) / (grab that sucker hard)
(A) Hermes: You too.
Both shake hands and smile.
(B) Hermes: ...take care MC.
MC holds Hermes' hand with both of theirs and smiles.
(C) Hermes: OW god stop that! I can't take your gorilla grip an--I take it back, please don't squeeze my hand again!
One last joke for the road.

When MC reaches the steps of Shinjuku Station, Hermes waves. Once out of sight, Hermes goes to sit in a corner of the station and pulls out his flute to play it like a normal instrument.
White: Hermes...you were prone to giving up on it but never gave up in your heart of hearts the wish to bond with someone, and now you have finally made one possibility a reality. You've left your world, and even if the world changes around you, as long as you keep thinking about how you want to be...I'm sure you'll create an irreplaceable bond here.
Hermes' heartfelt flute notes rise to the Christmas sky, and the shining sleigh trails look ever brighter.

Christmas Showdown The End

1 comment:

  1. Hermes's hand getting crushed from MC's grip is probably my favorite joke here. His reactions are priceless.
    Thanks for the translation.

    ReplyDelete