Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Live A Hero Chapter 5 Episode 3: To Battle! (Abridged)

Night
An awkward tension fills the room.

MC: awkward / ...
Huckle: Oh, day's over everyone. Good work. We should...head off.
Ryekie: ...yeah.
Sui: ...good work everyone.
Everyone slowly starts heading for their rooms when suddenly...
Mokdai: I hear tons of footsteps.
DOORSLAM
Gammei: Huckle, Ryekie! What the hell is going on!?
Ryekie: WHAT

Victom: Is it true they're gonna drop the HFCM on Orient City!?
Furlong: I'm sorry, when I heard the city might be destroyed--
Barrel: We can't just take that lying down!
Mokdai: You guys know!?
Barrel: ...sorry. I wasn't planning on eavesdropping, but I had to tell everyone when I heard what was up.
Akashi: Whatever happened to police confidentiality? ...though maybe that doesn't mean much in this case.
Huckle: Did you guys tell anyone else?
Barrel: ...sorry again, I blabbed.

More running footsteps
Toshu: I'VE HEARD!
Kyoichi: Oh my god there's so many people in here!
Shoen: No space...
Crowne: Welp that's every agency temp running in the resort hotel.
Huckle: O-okay, first calm down everyone. MC, can you get cushions and tea made for everybody?
MC: O-okay / suddenly a crowd, huh / yep, it's packed in here

Later
Toshu: ...I see. It's almost about to wake up.
Gammei: But the Future UN is in charge of us. Why didn't they tell us about this?
Victom: UEHA and Future UN have separate chains of command. They probably filed this as a UN only thing without asking UEHA for help. The bosses of both sides don't get along with each other. UEHA always takes Monster cases away from the UN, so maybe they're trying to use a national level emergency as a way to regain face?
Gammei: ...stupid old goats. Is personal pride all they think about?
Furlong: Do you think that's why the Chief got called over to Osaka?
Gammei: Dunno... but if they are trying to keep us down, then it'd explain a hell of a lot.

Shoen: It's such a reckless plan they came up with to blow the whole city we risked our lives to save along with the Monster.
Kyoichi: Can't we do anything!? We can just take down the Monster ourselves, right!? I mean I'm not sure we can pull it off, but I'll stake my life on it if it means the city won't get wiped out! It's proof of what we fought for!
Barrel: Same! The city's future matters more than our own future! I'll defend it even if I get branded a criminal!

MC: Everyone's so determined... / Is this what it means to be a hero?
Mokdai: We all love Orient City, me included. It's where I met and worked with a bunch of heroes, and became a hero because of you. It's where all my dreams came true...so I don't want it to disappear.
Akashi: Same here. Like sure I grew up here, but... meeting you, growing up with you, and being able to fight together with you is all thanks to this city. This place is proof that I lived. I'm never gonna let it get nuked to hyperspace!
Sui: ...this city used to be the place my teacher brought me to, but it's also the place where I learned my craft and met everyone in Parallel Flight. And I'd never have met MC either if it weren't for this place. I'm scared of the giant Monster, but I guess my wish to protect the city is strong too.
MC: You guys...

Ryekie: ...looks like we're all on the same page.
Crowne: I can feel it...this passion. That must be why everyone here is a true hero.
Ryekie: Alright! Time to start planning the operation! We are infiltrating Orient City and fighting that big ol' Monster! Right Huckle!?
Huckle: Huh!? O-oh, yes...
Huckle: ...
Ryekie: What's wrong? Are you against it?
Huckle: N-no, it's not that. Saving the city is what a hero does, and if everyone is in agreement, then I don't think it's wrong to take action. I support the idea too.
Ryekie: ...great! Let's get started! Mokdai, get the whiteboard!
Mokdai: But I just taught you how to use a tablet the other day! We have the tools to have meetings without needing ink! Please, please learn how to use them!
Ryekie: I-I can't! The pens keep warping!
Mokdai: You broke them AGAIN!? Stop holding them so hard!
Huckle: :(

Later, as the meeting goes well
Ryekie: Okay so, we're splitting into three teams divided by agencies to try going in at different points and times. Now about the team members...
Gammei: We've got four heroes and an Operator on Space Zoom to work with here. I treated a junior Operator to a meal recently, so I'll ask them.
Barrel: Uh, Detective. That kid cried and said they couldn't defy you because of your position back then.
Furlong: That one person from the traffic department, right?
Victom: Stop trying to flex when you can't afford to cover all your own food expenses.
Gammei: SHUT UP! Why not pull every string I can in an emergency!?

Kyoichi: Well we have three heroes here and a Space Zoom Operator to go with. I contacted them and just got an answer. It's good to have an Operator friend you can rely on in times like these!
Shoen: ...friend?
Toshu: Are you calling that youngster you tried to seduce a friend? How bold of you.
Kyoichi: RUDE! I just thought they looked hot!
Akashi: Senpai...
Kyoichi: Stop looking down on me like that!
MC: Detective, you so sly... / Kyoichi, Mr. Playboy / welp

Ryekie: ...right! So on our side of things, we got us four heroes and MC for an Operator. Also, I want Crowne to come with us.
MC: Wait, what? Why?
Mokdai: ...in case They show up. Y'know, the one who tried to kill Crowne and Exio and destroyed the Director's memories and abilities as an Observer.
MC: Oh...
Ryekie: They backed off before, but they might slip in during the chaos again. We also need to think about keeping the people they said they'd kill safe. It'd be terrible if they showed up while no one was around to defend Crowne.
Akashi: ...so it'd be better to have Crowne with us, huh?
Crowne: ...sorry to bother you guys with this.
Sui: It's not your fault. Just focus on your own safety first. We'll definitely protect you.
Crowne: ...right. Thanks Sui.
Akashi: That goes for you too, MC. They had their eye on you. Tell us right away if you feel unsafe.
MC: ...okay. / Scary...

Huckle: ...wait, what about me? I'm not an Observer anymore and I can't turn into a hero.
Mokdai: ...that's why you should stay here, Director. Please.
Huckle: !?
Mokdai: You died as an Observer. You'll be easy pickings without a way to defend yourself, so if you're away from us it's less likely you'll be killed off with us if it comes to it. I doubt they'll come to kill you the way you are now, so please, wait here.
Huckle: I-I guess, but...!
Ryekie: It's too dangerous for you to be in the field without your memories and Observer abilities. I don't want you hurt anymore, and I don't want to lose you because you're my best friend. I know it sucks, but please...can't you stay back and wait for us this time?
Huckle: Mister...Ryekie...
Huckle: :(

Huckle: ...okay. Be careful, and come back. I'm sorry that...I can't do anything to help.
Ryekie: ...Huckle.
Huckle: ...I wish...I could at least become a hero again. Then I could go with you guys... (balls fists)
Phone: (buzz)
MC: ?
Phone: nxnn-n0xnnBEEPreaderror
MC: This is new. What happened?

Space
Broker: !
Broker: This has never happened before. What is the meaning of this? (hand on chin thinking)
Broker: ...preposterous. He may not be an Observer anymore, but it is impossible for someone who became an Observer to become a hero. Still...I should keep watch some more. (ponders his crystal ball showing MC)
Broker: Do wonders never cease with you. Is this another one of your miracles...?

Back at the Hot Spring Resort, later at night
Crowne: ...oh hey MC. Shouldn't you be in bed? We leave tomorrow morning.
MC: Can't sleep. What about you?
Crowne: Haha, same. Not out of having a bad feeling or whatever though. Just can't sleep for some reason. But maybe...I'm afraid.
MC: Afraid? About them?
Crowne: ...couldn't tell you. Maybe they really are me from another world. Too many pieces fit, I can't explain it any other way.
MC: You mean the possibility you could've turned out the same way? / What do you mean? 

Crowne: Yeah. "What if?" and that sorta thing. The way they act hits me in the heart. If things had been different...I might've been the same way. (stares sadly at the springs)
MC: Why'd they ever turn out that way?
Crowne: ...well. Actually, maybe it's okay to tell you now.
Crowne: Everyone's always told me how weird I was. "You're a girl. Why do you like playing with machines?" "You're a girl. Why do you like playing sports like boys?" "You're a girl. Why do you like doing things boys do rather than boys themselves?" That sorta thing. I never changed though. I like what I like, you know?
Crowne: No matter what anyone thought of me, I kept chasing after one dream since the very beginning. After graduating high school, I got into the college I wanted to get into and join the research lab I admired. I was looking for someplace my dream would be accepted without having to change who I was.

Crowne: The day I finally made it in to the place I wanted to be, there was some asshole who wanted to defile me as a woman.
MC: Oh man...
Crowne: ...well you're old enough. I don't need to spell out what that means, right? I was tied up to some machinery then. I actually seriously thought about cutting myself out, even if it cost me my arms and legs.
MC: That reminds me...the script says their arms are weird even though the sprite clearly has normal arms. / So that's the divergence point?
Crowne: ...at that point, my professor arrived to save me. He brought me to somewhere I could do what I liked, so I owe him everything.
Crowne: But what if he never came? What if I really did have to chop off my arms? I think I'd start hating everything, like they do. Everything in the world, myself...the works. And if I was given power after that, I'd probably try to destroy the world too. Heh...holy shit, right? Who'd believe someone whose dream shattered like that would go insane like that?
Crowne: ...

Crowne: ...what if they want to see their dream again and are lashing out because of it?
MC: What?
Crowne: Lately, I haven't been thinking about my dream much 'cuz of what I saw in reality. But back then, I was still pursuing it. It motivated me to do anything I was doing, to live. If I lost it like that back then...maybe that's a hint to figuring out who Robo Arms really is. Not knowing who they are means that we don't have any ideas on how to defend ourselves against them.
MC: Did you give up on your dream?
Crowne: Uh...well...
Crowne: ...I don't know. But, maybe I still have it somewhere inside me.
Phone: Digivice Beep. Path found for Crowne. Signal Strength: Weeeak
MC: ...huh.
Crowne: (stares at the stars) My dream, huh...

The next morning, at the main entrance to the resort.
Ryekie: ...well that's all of us! Let's go over the plan one more time!
Mokdai: We'll be avoiding the south side gate because of high security and all the refugees coming in from there. We'll be splitting by agencies to circle around to less defended gates, then sneak in with as little fighting as possible.
Victom: Those of us in Team UEHA will take the undersea tunnel through the bay, then head for the gate in the mountains from Shizuoka.
Kyoichi: Team Heroic Educators will be going up across the mountains and head for the country area gate at the border of Kita Ward.
Ryekie: And those of us in Team Parallel Flight will take the coast highway to the artificial island with the space port and go for the gate there.
Toshu: Every team will be in secret contact and hide in the city until we can confirm if the giant Monster is awake. If it is, we gather in one place and begin battling it. Correct?

Barrel: When the battle starts, we start streaming and try to appeal to everyone. If the government knows we're there, they might stop the HCFM nuke plan.
Shoen: We also need to be careful of the Crowne doppelganger. All of you in Parallel Flight should be extremely careful.
Crowne: ...
Ryekie: Right. This is going to be the biggest battle of our lives. There's no guarantee we can keep each other safe, but there are people here who can't defend themselves this time: Operator MC and noncombatant Crowne. Everyone, keep them and yourselves alive!
Akashi: We're gonna save Orient City!
MC: Let's go!
Everyone: YEAH!
Huckle: Good luck everyone!
Crowne: I hope they don't show up...

Suddenly mercenaries surround the party and hold you all at gunpoint.
MC: WHAT
Huckle: They have the sun outline and cherry blossom crest on their chests. Are they with the Defense Department!?
Crowne: Oh look it's the welcome wagon!
???: I was right to keep watch on you all.
Sadayoshi: Good morning citizens.
MC: Colonel, you knew!?
Sadayoshi: Yesterday when I took my leave, I noticed evidence suggesting that we were overheard. As rude as it may be, I took the liberty of keeping you all under surveillance since then.
Ryekie: !!

Sadayoshi: I had suspected that you wouldn't agree with my position, but it truly is unfortunate we could not reach an understanding.
Akashi: Well what did you expect!? We don't want to give up on Orient City!
Kyoichi: I'm not letting a dud of a bomb get dropped on the city where my memories of my students are!
Sadayoshi: Now that was uncalled for. It is not a dud, it is a work in progress. And I believe I have already said I don't want to give up on Orient City either. It pains me deeply as well.
Sadayoshi: An operation must always keep an eye on the big picture. There are times when cold, harsh judgments must be made, and those passed down must be enforced. There are times where I must abandon my own sentiments, so I...!
Barrel: I'm hearing a lot of excuses but nothing about what you actually wanna do!
Sadayoshi: !?

Barrel: Sorry, but what you're saying is "orders from the top, deal with it." That's all I hear from you, nothing about what you personally think. I know it's the same in the police, but you can always say you're against things if that's how you really feel!
Sadayoshi: ...unfortunately, your opinion comes up short in many ways. In an organization if one person acts on emotion, all harmony gets disrupted, especially if they are government workers like ourselves. If you all work in service of the nation's citizens, you should be thinking about how to best serve the majority of those citizens. At the very least, that was what I was taught since infancy.
Huckle: Something you were taught since infancy...?

Sadayoshi: I've been ordered to restrain you all a while ago, and now I have come to do so. Please do not resist.
Sadayoshi: (speaks into phone attached to glove) Transform. Begin the transmission.
Sadayoshi: Transformation complete. Path connection is extremely favorable.
MC: WHAT / That Parallel Weapon is huge! / Oh no he seems strong!
Gammei: Focus! MC, transform us too! He'll crush us if we let our guard down!
MC: O-okay, here we go!

The entire party suits up
Furlong: Can we win!?
Toshu: I don't know, but we can't back off!
Shoen: ...we're surrounded on all sides.
Ryekie: We aren't alone! There has to be people who believe our actions are just! We have to believe in that and stand up!
Mokdai: Director, Crowne, stick close to us! If it comes to it we might need to break through!
Huckle: O-okay! I'm sorry I can't do anything to help...
Sui: You have nothing to apologize for. We'll protect you, so try not to get hurt.
Crowne: ...okay. Careful, guys!
Akashi: Let's do this, MC!
MC: Right! It's all or nothing!
Sadayoshi: If you are streaming to the public, then that is more reason for us to demonstrate that we are in the right. Hostiles confirmed, all hands prepare for battle.
BATTLE START

3 comments:

  1. Okay, remind me to never clue in Barrel with Birthday Surprise Plans for others in future occasions. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i imagine he would have a ton of troubles growing up when their parents or relatives told him to keep a secret either at home or during school

      Delete
    2. Imagining Barrel being so excited with secret info like that as a young pup fills me with joy.

      Delete