Sunday, February 13, 2022

Christmas Showdown Thief Side Episode 3 Part 1 (Abridged)

Nakano Entertainment Academy, a school teaching about entertainment on the surface and a spy school beneath the surface. Plenty of the students who go there have ties to both. One of the students who go there, Jiraiya, has another name he used to go by: the wandering warrior Ogata Shuma! He lived happily with his warrior father as a little kid serving their lord, but then it all came crashing down when the rest of them were killed. To gain his revenge, Jiraiya wandered and became a student of hermetic arts at Mt. Myoko in Echigo!
In the end, he gained the ninja power to summon giant toads and turn them into his own strength. For example, he can turn his scarf into a toad tongue to grab and restrain anything. That is the Role of the toad that returns things to their original place and the power tied to his way of life. Eventually he cornered his adversary, but the fate tied to his power would eventually lead Ogata Shuma to his end.

Just when Jiraiya was about to get his revenge, his foe's minion struck him down instead. That minion had a Stone Conch artifact, which has the power of the white snake that Serves Benten. Its shape wound around like an actual snake. Conceptual belief says a toad that's stared at by a snake will never win against the snake. And so the ronin Ogata Shuma died, except not really. What happened? He's never gonna tell. He's living his life now in Tokyo as the chivalrous thief Jiraiya, Stealing Back What was Stolen from People.

Present, the day before the heist happens
The party is gathering at Cafe Asterism on its off day. The early comers put together lunch with the tea Taromaiti makes while waiting for Jiraiya to get out of his job.

Jiraiya: I'm here guys! Let's go over our jobs for tomorrow! ...after we go over our opponents! Ded's given me info on the security team like he promised he would when he first invited me to join this thing. (puts out papers on the table)
MC: Odell's a security member / Nomad...he'll be tough / wait it's just two people?
(A) Benten: You know that stuck up cat?
Jiraiya: He's a bodyguard and he's agreed to help with this thing since day one, like me.
Taromaiti: These papers make it hard to tell what he's like.
Hermes: Bodyguard eh?
(B) Hermes: Ohh a real detective. This'll be fun.
Benten: He's gonna be a huge hit on Not Twitter! I have to get a pic of him after it's all over!
Jiraiya: Benten we still have a job to do first, calm down.
Taromaiti: Aha. I get how she feels though. It's not everyday you meet a detective in your normal life.
(C) Taromaiti: They still have a lot of police guys over there.
Jiraiya: Yep. They totally have the numbers against us.
Benten: Aww, so no frontal assault.
Hermes: You actually thought about doing that!?

Jiraiya: Well that's who we're going against. Now for the floorplans and escape routes. The school will be an Enclosed Area tomorrow, so everyone inside is an app user or someone with an artifact.
Jiraiya lays out a ground plan of the Santa School. Notes about patrol routes and security cams are written down along with information the party gathered the other day. Everyone discusses their assigned parts and new suggestions.
Jiraiya: Okay, we're set! Now we just wait for showtime.
Benten: Wow there was a lot more to go over than I thought. Hey Senpai, do you do this all the time? Is that why you're never at school?
Jiraiya: Secret. I'll just say that the plans this time are a lot more complicated than usual.
Benten: ...
MC: We go tomorrow, huh / I hope it goes well / I'm getting nervous
(C) Benten: I'm here! No need to worry at all!

Jiraiya: Okay, time to go for the day if there's nothing else to talk about.
Taromaiti: Oh. Gotta be rested for the big day?
Jiraiya: (nods)
Hermes: Wait we're leaving already? Can't we hang around some more?
Jiraiya: No Hermes I--
Benten: How about we do a pre-victory party? We're gonna break up this band after the job's over anyway.
Hermes: Yeah! We still got daylight!
Taromaiti: Feels kinda premature...but since this isn't a real heist we're doing I guess it might be okay? If we're gonna make some memories, I'll go along if you like.
Jiraiya: You guys are taking this too lightly! Just don't stay up too late and make yourself tired tomorrow. I'm heading off now and--
Hermes: Aww, come on! Join us!
Benten: Yeah! (grabs Jiraiya's arm)
MC: Yeah! / Making him stay seems wrong though / (Jiraiya seems desperate to go)

The real Jiraiya pops in
Jiraiya: Sorry I'm late! There were snakes on the way back and--
Benten: Oh my god two Jiraiyas!
MC: Who's the faker!? / Ninja body double!? / I want a Jiraiya!
Hermes: Nobody move! The two of you, go stand over there and be quiet. Benten, you keep a hold of his arm. Taromaiti, MC, you two...(etc etc)
Hermes: Now we gotta figure out which one is the real one and--
Jiraiya 1: Will you let go? I'm not gonna resist or anything. I'll just cancel my artifact. I didn't expect things to turn out like this...

Jiraiya 1 reveals himself as Ose.
Ose: I was hoping my trick to buy time would last longer, but yeah those snakes were my doing. I'll go get them later, no animal cruelty here! Also I'm surprised you guys would throw a party before the big heist. You really are a weird one, Benten. So bold, no one would've thought you're a first time thief.
Benten: Aww, it's totes normal! But props to you for noting my charm!
MC: Not Ose, you were in disguise? / I never noticed / Huh, you're a kid today.
(AB) Ose: Hi again MC. I see we're on different sides this time.
(C) Ose: We're banned from getting information from each other today, right? So I figured I should avoid looking like that when I went out.

Hermes: Sup Not Ose, you got too into being Jiraiya, huh? I wasn't expecting someone with such an open personality to be so weak to snakelike persistence. You'd have done better shaking us off, but I guess your pro sensibilities kicked in?
Ose: No, but I have to commend you for noticing the disguise. You were the first to stop me after all.
Hermes: Oh, no, I didn't actually see through it or anything.
Ose: Hmm... You don't say?
Hermes: Nah, I just figured if anyone is quick to leave a big meeting alone they might be a spy. It never crossed my mind you weren't Jiraiya.
Ose: I see...amazing. So you're the type who trusts people but doesn't dismiss the worst possibilities. Or you're the type who never trusted anyone to begin with.
MC: Huh? / What are you saying? / (Oh no I get what he's trying to do!)
(C) Ose smiles at MC as if to say "too late."

Hermes: ...yep. I never trusted anyone here.
Party: ...
Benten: ...Hermes, what's that supposed to mean?
Hermes: ...I said what I said. I never planned on getting closer with any of you.
Ose: Which means your continued presence here signifies that you have a different goal of your own?
Hermes: ...yeah.
Benten: So what is it!? Tell us in a way we can understand!
MC: Benten calm down / She has a point / ...

Hermes: ...sorry, but I don't have to tell you.
Benten: ...you wanna fight!?
Ose: Benten can you let me say a few more words first?
Benten: Why are you getting between us!? You're on the other side!
Ose: Well if Hermes isn't gonna say anything, how about I tell you guys some good info?
MC: Okay? / No wai-- / (He's taking the lead!)
(BC) Ose shushes MC.

Ose: The short version: Hermes, you did spy stuff in the past didn't you?
Benten: Huh?
Hermes: ...yeah.
Ose: I knew it. While no one else could understand how you think and what you say, I could. Hiding your origins and getting close to your enemies is what spies do. They say that the best way of gaining someone's favor when you first meet them is to be complimentary and affirmative of what they talk about. Then you try getting what they think out of them. You've done it so much you can do it in your sleep, right? Someone who lives that way can't easily trust people. They could never. Letting your guard for a second could make or break your mission and take your life with it.
Benten: ...so
Ose: Right. Doubting everything will exhaust you and make your mission impossible to complete. That's why we have ways of easing doubts.

Ose: Hey Hermes, why have you never done any of that? It's just a guess on my part, but if you're a high class spy, you could have used symbols or codes to identify who is who. You could also have set up anti-spy plans. Is your not using any of those things a sign that you didn't want to know those things?
Hermes: ...who can say? Don't you think you talk to much for a spy, Not Ose or whatever?
Ose: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I hit a nerve? I can hear how mad you are. Since you've disrupted my work, I've gotten a little interested in you. I just tried guessing at things based on what you've said and thought so far.

Jiraiya: ...could you leave it at that? Your theories are interesting and all, but they don't necessarily apply to Hermes.
Ose: ...are you planning to ask him directly? Even if he won't answer?
Jiraiya: It's all in the past. Hermes might have changed. Who cares if he talks or not? It's important that he chooses to talk himself. I'm the great thief Jiraiya, and I won't leave my friends on their own even if it's a one night thing! Especially if someone's tryna talk shit about them and drive them away!
Ose: ...I see. You're a good friend Jiraiya. Okay I'll stop here.

Jiraiya: ...one more thing. You tried to be me and take my place, so I'm betting my pride on getting you back for that!
Ose: Oh so that's what gets you mad. Is that why you're slightly resistant against Santa and so insistent on being a chivalrous thief?
Jiraiya: It hurts to know I need more training. I gotta refocus on that, sure, but one day I'm settling the score on which of us is the real phantom thief!
Ose: Sounds fun! See you tomorrow. (leaves)
MC: ... (awkward)

Jiraiya: ...there's plenty of people who are cautious in the world, and they all have their own reasons for being that way. Everyone decides how much they'll trust in others, and I won't judge them for that.
Benten: ...
Jiraiya: I just have one thing to say. (sits down)
Jiraiya: If there are things the world won't accept, then people will just have to confront it head on. I'm gonna get ready for tomorrow, which means I'll have to redo all the plans. What are you guys gonna do?
Taromaiti: ...I'm used to the things Hermes says, so I'm not gonna say anything about that now. It does make me a little sad though. But I bet Benten is--
Benten: Yeah, I'm not gonna accept what you said Hermes. Sticking it out to the end is my personal style. You got anything to say to that!?
MC: W-wait, Benten! / Hermes!
Hermes: :/
Hermes: ...dicks will leave sooner or later. Later guys. (leaves)
End of Episode Part

No comments:

Post a Comment