Saturday, February 5, 2022

Christmas Showdown Police Side Episode 3 Part 2 (Abridged)

Nomad (narrating): This one time, in the past, I was saved by my future self. I escaped the prison you supposedly can't escape on your own and with no one apparently there to help me. All I had to talk to was my imaginary friend. But now I get that they weren't really imaginary. Imaginary friends can't open locks! But I couldn't think of anyone from my past who'd come help me since I gave up my past. So whoever helped me? They had to be from the future! Like Holmes says, eliminate all impossible conclusions and what's left no matter how strange must be the truth.

Present
Hermes: >:C
Ose: I win this time. Oh wait we're dragging things out, I should get going.
Nomad: Hold up! Are you really gonna pass stuff on to the thief team? If you're stabbing me in the back I'm gonna--
Ose: No, I'm not gonna betray you or anything from this point on. I've already shown you the cards I have to play. I've disclosed everything about my goals, so you can't call it a betrayal. Betrayal is what you describe as happening to future expectations. If you're going to question anyone about betrayal, how about him? (gestures)
No one is there. Then, neither is Ose.
Nomad: GODDAMMIT we fell for it! And if the client knows about this happening I can't complain about it! Ugh! If we lose my detective's reputation is going down the drain!

MC: (silently looks at Hermes) / Hermes...will you explain things to us?
Nomad: ... (starts approaching Hermes while thinking)
MC: Nomad, wait--!
Nomad: (stares at MC like he's looking at something from his past future)
Nomad: ...relax. I won't harm him. (headpats MC)
Nomad: Hermes, I know there's things nobody wants to talk about. I'm not gonna pry into your past, but--
Hermes: Haha, it's no biggie. Like I said, I'm just some wan--
Nomad: Just hear me out.

Nomad: You're a smart guy, but that actually makes it easy to figure out what you're thinking, especially when people invade your space. You think about what's the best and worst moves, what lines to draw. You think about whether to play dumb, run, or lie in the moment. But whatever crosses your mind, it unconsciously shows on your face for a sec. I noticed it when Not Ose pressed you, and Not Ose was able to trip you up because you don't care about what everyone else besides him thinks. I get it. I'm the same way.
Hermes: ...
Nomad: I'm here in Tokyo because I have a goal, and that goal is why I keep working as a detective. It's the same for you, right? You're here because of things you can't tell people. There's tons of people here of all kinds, but there's no need to open up to them no matter how close you are to them. At the very least, the two of us here don't care about your past. Right, MC?

MC: You're you Hermes, no matter your past.
Nomad: ...yep. Just like Watson says. You can't change your past, but every rando walking down the street is gonna try digging it up. Being trapped by the past is like being chained up in prison. No one will come save you. You'll have to save yourself. What you've done before and if you're going to turn traitor later are two different questions.
Hermes: ... (thinks of people who are similar to him as the kind of people he should be most on guard against)
Hermes: ...sigh, I messed that up. It could've gone better. Thanks guys.
Nomad: Anyways I'm mad we have to redo our entire plans dammit. We're gonna go see Hougen! ...after a bathroom break! Gimme 15 minutes!
Hermes: Sure whatever. I'll go on ahead then.
MC: (notices a card fall out when they turn to leave)
MC: Hmm?
Card: Come to the headmaster's office.

Later
???: Come in. We should be quick before the others get back.
MC: This dandy voice! (Adult Ose) / This cute voice! (Child Ose)
Ose is sitting on a red sofa inside.
Ose: Okay MC, I should tell you my real name.
MC: I know. It's Ose, right? / Tell me!
(AB) Ose: Yes. I'm honored you remember.
(C) Ose: I'm Ose. I just go by Odell in work stuff like this.

Ose: I know about you more than you think I do since I'm a proxy for the All Knowing One who received the protection of the Mimir. I wish we could talk about more pleasant things now that we're alone, but I have things to tell you and only you.
MC: What's up? / A confession? / It's about Hermes, isn't it?
---
(B) Ose: Heh. I'd shower you with loving words if you wish, but it'd have to wait until another time. I can do so at my leisure later...after this practice drill is done.
(C) Ose: Correct. You've noticed too, haven't you?
---
Ose: You saw our little talk earlier, right? He's likely like me...someone who's worked as a spy. I know privacy about one's past should be respected, but I need to prioritize your safety.
MC: ... / You're overthinking things / But Hermes helped me
(AB) Ose: Do you remember the time you met Hermes in Shinjuku?
(C) Ose: Oh, you're talking about that time you saw Hermes in Shinjuku right?

Ose: Back then when you bumped into that wolf and it looked like it was going to be a fight? Was it really a coincidence he showed up then to put a stop to things?
MC: What? / Where were you watching!?
Ose: For the record I wasn't there. I just picked up enough information that I could see how it went down as if I was. But back to what I was saying, I wanted to tell you that wasn't a coincidence. Hermes set it up to get in contact with you for some reason.
Ose: From what I can tell, Hermes has been following you since you left the Santa School. He'd been waiting for a chance to get close to you, while the wolf was just someone he used to get there. He must know the police is watching him, and he may have figured the wolf would try to scam you. That's how he could pass off meeting you as a coincidence.

MC: But... / How convenient
Ose: I still had to work my butt off. A great agent gets overused. And unfortunately, while I may know a lot of things, I'm not omniscient myself. Oh right, since I don't know what Hermes's goal is, we shouldn't doubt him too much. But on the other hand it's dangerous to think everything he's hiding is just something awkward for him to open up about. That means the best and only thing to do is to prepare for the worst case scenario and work with him.
MC: Don't you know everything, like the future?

Ose: I don't know what that worst case scenario, meaning my cause of death and actual end, is. That's the restriction I have with the role of all-knowing I have. What demonic wolf is gonna eat me at the end of the world? That sort of thing. That's exactly how and why I can enjoy my thrills, but I'm getting off topic.
Ose: I've given myself three missions. First is working as a participant in this practice trial. Second is ascertaining Hermes's nature and abilities. It's why I pretended to be a teacher from here the other day, but like I thought, he saw through me.
MC: Huh, okay / You haven't figured out anything about Hermes?
(B) Ose: Nope...because he's just like me. We partially share a role, so my crown's power can't work on him. Funny how there are gaps in how my power works. Exciting!

Ose: And finally, my last mission is to inform you of the truth and protect you. Everything I've told you now, I wasn't using my power to do. ...will you believe me?
MC: ...okay / yes / I'll keep it in mind.
Ose: That's fine. So until things end I--
MC: So help me. Let's make a deal.
Ose: ...
MC: I want to know how Hermes really feels / I want to trust Hermes / I want to face Hermes head on.
(A) Ose: I think he'll be a tough nut to crack even for you, but that's probably why you're asking for my help...
(B) Ose: You're confused about how he saved you and used you, but you still want to trust in his secret side he hasn't shown you, just like the detective is...?
(C) Ose: ...heh. So do I. What's life without some excitement?

Ose: Very well. I'll both protect you and help you grant your wish. That means I can expect some compensation from you when this is all over, right?
MC: Depending on how things go / I don't have THAT much spare cash / Anything!
---
(C) Ose: Whoa...that's a bit of a shock. Be sure to say things like that only to me, if you would.
---
Ose: Let's see...for my compensation, I--
Ose quietly whispers to you when it gets dark. A sweet floral scent reaches your nose as a piece of cloth held up to you gently falls. When you awaken, Ose is gone, leaving a hankerchief and a card in your lap.
"If you're late for the meeting, tell them you found Odell but he ran off on you."
It's almost time to meet up with everyone again, and so you hurry on over.
End of Episode

1 comment:

  1. I find it amazing, yet unsettling for a lack of a better word at the moment, that Ose really can play everyone if he really wanted to. And the whole talk with Nomad and Hermes about it being okay to not share everything about you, even to those close to you, and the Secret Meeting with Ose about Hermes being up to something potentially dangerous just made me love this part of the story. Not in the typical exciting way, but in a warm, calming way.

    ReplyDelete