Sunday, September 24, 2023

Live A Hero Rakusai Travelogue Episode 6 (Abridged)

Flashback!
A shikigami is flying around outside Tsuneaki's window!

Tsuneaki: A message from Master? It's been about a month since last time. Can't he contact me like a normal person? ...well it's not like I have a phone either, so fair I guess.
It's been about a year since Tsuneaki's met the Space Onmyouji. He's been training him in yin yang magic for a while until they stopped last month. A break until he messaged him again, which left Tsuneaki bored.
Space Onmyouji: Hi Tsuneaki, I got something important to give you. Gimme a sec, this might get loud.
Tsuneaki: what--WHOA
A bunch of papers fly in through the window and pile onto Tsuneaki's desk! Then they turn into a bunch of tied up books!

Tsuneaki: Aren't these your old books you showed me!?
Space Onmyouji: A present! You should know enough to understand them now. They can teach you history in my place.
Tsuneaki: what?
Space Onmyouji: These might be my last words to you.
Tsuneaki: WHAT

Space Onmyouji: I'm dying soon, and I knew about it all along. All along being as far back as when I realized I could uses onmyouji against Monsters. I was hoping for someone to pass things onto, and that's when I met you. I'm sorry I used you.
Tsuneaki: T-then, the reason we haven't met is because...
Space Onmyouji: I'm an asshole who was thinking about how to use your problems when you were venting to me. I thought you could do things because you're bicultural, but in the back of my mind I was pushing my wish onto you. Still...I did think of you as a friend, even with the age gap. I'm glad we talked, and I'm sorry this is all I can give you. If it's too much, it's okay for you to leave the books alone.
Tsuneaki: Yeah, you are a jackass. But I don't care that you used me! I'll carry on your wishes! But you're an ass for not letting me talk to you in person one last time!
Tsuneaki runs out into the rain without saying a thing to his parents.

The Space Onmyouji's shikigami follows Tsuneaki since there's still more to say.
Space Onmyouji: Tsuneaki, I looked into your future and the town's future. The space racists in Kyoto will one day join hands with the aliens here for sure. Please be there to see it happen while I can't...
The shikigami cuts off and falls down. Tsuneaki grabs it and sticks it into his pocket, then reaches the Space Onmyouji's manor. He tries going in through the back like usual, except now some stranger is standing there.
Tsuneaki: Please, let me in! I'm the Space Onmyouji's student!
The human stranger won't even look at Tsuneaki.

Resident: Pffft. Who? You did your research at least.
Tsuneaki is about to pull out the shikigami when...

Resident: Hey, you're an alien from Shinraku, huh? Go back to space, outsider. Leave now and I won't call the cops. I never wanted you talking to me to begin with.

Tsuneaki: Oh piss OFF with that bullshit! I--
Tsuneaki attempts to grab Resident's collar, except Resident kicks him back.

Resident: ...even if you did somehow know him, pipe down for his sake.
On the surface, that's concern for Tsuneaki and the Space Onmyouji. Even if kicking Tsuneaki away was just the quickest way to do it, he had no choice but to comply. Tsuneaki pushes himself back up, then leaves.
Tsuneaki: ...I've lived in Japan all my life, so why won't they listen to me just because I don't look the part!? Why can't I say goodbye even if I'm one of his neighbors!?
The shikigami gets wet in the rain, and the ink washes off.

Tsuneaki: I'm his student, but I don't have proof anymore! If only I had the power to make them see it...!
Tsuneaki: ...no, wait. This just happened because I was naive. I already knew the racists the next city over wouldn't look at us in Shinraku. I could see Master getting worse but bought it when he said he was okay...I was the one who didn't get anything ready if something happened to the only one who treated me like a person.
All Tsuneaki can do is tell himself he couldn't do anything with his lack of experience or power.

Tsuneaki: Dammit...we were just about to get to the good part! ...WAAAAH!
The rain keeps going, even after Tsuneaki gets home. He dries off and then sits in front of the books he was given.
Tsuneaki: ...
He sighs, then opens up a letter that was on top of the books.

Tsuneaki: ...Tsuneaki...Toshuku?
A final present: a hereditary clan name.

Title Card: Six Steps Bidding My Weak Self Farewell

Present
Evil Red: OOF
MC and Kouki have interrupted the ambush and threw the mobs' plans off the rails!

Evil Purple: Stay at it! The invad--
Snakes rise up and wrap around the mobs!

Evil Blue: OH GOD WHAT
One of the mobs cut at the snakes, which causes them to reveal themselves as shikigami. The shikigami then wrap up the mobs!

Tsuneaki: It's cool, you have an air hole at least...wait, can you hear me? Oh well, good enough. We can't let ourselves die here now, can we?
MC: Weird. You have a paper Parallel Weapon? / Wow you really are a hero
(AB) Tsuneaki: Oh, first time seeing an onmyouji in action? Then again this is hero magic so I'm not really an onmyouji.
(C) Tsuneaki: Yeah, I told you I'm not a bad guy! ...even if people call me sus all the time!

Ring ring, call from Parallel Flight!
MC: Huh, now of all times? Are they watching this?
Beep
Mokdai: OH MY GOD MC YOU HAVE LIKE AN SSR HERO RIGHT THERE! And by that I mean there's like NO info on who he is or what agency he's with! He's barely ever seen on livestream! Barely any hero nerds know about him...holy crap I can't believe I'm seeing him for real! (bonk)
Akashi: I'm sorry, I tried telling him to save it for when you got back but I couldn't get him to stop!
MC: ...really? / He's that rare? / so I heard
Tsuneaki: Wow it's nice to have big fans since my streams don't get saved. I'm kinda lost actually, but revealing myself was the only way I could get you guys to trust me. Not like I could let myself go down to those chumps either.
Mokdai confirms Tsuneaki is a hero, but Gammei STILL doesn't trust him.

Gammei: ...so who are these ninja? Weren't you talking to one of them the other day? Are you gonna BS us some more?
Tsuneaki: Of course not! But it might still sound that way, please understand!
MC: oh my god you're actually like that? / you still sound that way now / please keep doing it
(C) Kouki: Oh god shut up MC, even Tsuneaki is trying to be serious! ...I've been thinking this, but you two are alike.

Tsuneaki: Say, MC can you turn off your phone? I wanna keep this next bit private.
MC complies. Tsuneaki clears his throat and looks serious, then starts talking.

Tsuneaki: Sooo about what Gammei said. The guy I was talking to last night? I'm actually sent by the Defense Bureau to infiltrate this one organization and that guy was part of them. And the guys who just attacked us? A different group inside the same organization going all left hand right hand on each other. Also I covered their eyes and ears so they don't hear me blabbing about my identity.
MC: what / wait, are they...?
(AB) Tsuneaki: They hate nonhumans and go on about Making Japan Great Again. Ruuude.
(C) Tsuneaki: Yeah you met them already. Remember the Shin Ashihara? Yelled "Make Japan Great Again" and tried to kidnap you?

Tsuneaki: They aren't a monolith, fyi. Part of them are guerilla extremists who are trying to use Monsters for their ethnic cleansing plans.
Gammei: WHAT
Tsuneaki: Yeah I knew they were doing it, though I still don't know how. Maybe they're still looking into it too. You guys were just talking about it yesterday too.
Flashback of part of the previous episode!

Tsuneaki: Anyways they wanna pull that trick all over Japan as their endgame. They still can't control Monsters yet though, so they're using Shinraku as a testing ground.
Kouki: What the hell!? Don't they know how much it hurts to have someone who lives with you suddenly disappear one day!?
Gammei: Wait, did Monsters eat your--
Kouki: When I lived with Dad and Sirius, Monsters attacked the city we lived in. They ate Dad.
Gammei: ...oh.
Tsuneaki: Sorry to remind you of that. But you feeling mad at that means you see Shinraku's residents as actual people. Unfortunately we have space racist assholes in this day and age too, so the moderates sent me to stop them. They're merciful enough that they're okay with aliens so long as it's Japanese humans running Japan. It's totally okay to have stronger aliens as model citizens do work for them, which is why they sent me to infiltrate them.
MC: They still suck / The moderates are #NotAllRacists or something?

Gammei: Wait, you're working with that organization on the surface but working as a Defense Bureau spy underneath that?
Tsuneaki: Yep! This is hard, man... but the main thing for now is that they're treating Kyoto as their territory. The extremists however are saying alien made towns aren't part of Kyoto and now here we are. The moderates disagree, and they sent me since I'm born in Japan and wouldn't look weird around here. Also as an alien they can just cut me off whenever and not cry at night about it.
Kouki: ...so they're just assholes! Let's just call the cops on them!
MC: Gammei, arrest them! / Kouki I get it, but calm down...
(A) Gammei: I get it, but calm down guys. We can't yet...
(BC) Kouki: What's the point of being an adult in times like these then!?

Tsuneaki: Yeah, being an adult sucks sometimes. I don't CARE about their infighting, I just want them all arrested but of course it ain't that easy, so I'm here playing nice while trying to solve the plot and sending info back. Stopping the criminal plot is good enough. Also the organization has people high up in the government, so they'll stop things if we just try as a government group to march in openly. The Defense Bureau then figured filing for help with UEHA since they're a national organization would be the only way to keep damage and casualties to a minimum.
MC: Dang / Who's your boss? / (what)
---
(B) Tsuneaki: Sorry, I'm not supposed to say that aloud even though I said it already.
---
Gammei: ...oh, so that's how it is. Tsuneaki I'm sorry for--
Tsuneaki: No wait I'm not done! And I was acting sus to begin with, so it's cool.
MC: but why tho. You could just ask for help like a normal person. / Were you doing this to make allies?
(C) Tsuneaki: Correctamundo!
Kouki: Then couldn't you just file for help at an agency like normal? Sheesh.

Tsuneaki: I would if I could, but the moderates want to solve things inhouse. Also they're considered a villain organization outside Japan so they can't ask for hero help anyway. That's why I decided to make myself look like the villain mastermind and get into contact with other heroes. I was a little worried when I had to make my regular report, but I'm glad they eventually gave me the OK! ...sorry for using you guys. (bows in apology)
MC: It's cool / Damn that's tough / ...this isn't cool
(AB) Tsuneaki: Aww, you're so nice MC. Maybe too nice actually. Oh well, you got good friends! Even one worried enough to give you that alarm gadget!
(C) Tsuneaki: Yeah I figured. But could you set that aside to help save the city? I can give you all the apologies later.

Kouki: ...Tsuneaki, you really are an actor, huh?
Tsuneaki: Yep! It's my public job so I should take it seriously. Did I pull it off well enough for you?
Kouki: Oh, heh. I'm good just hearing that. If you're serious either way, then I'll help as a hero. Right Sirius?
Sirius: Bark!
Kouki: I'll tell my manager to start filming again when this is over. You better make time for that!
Tsuneaki agrees, then looks to the rest of the party.

Gammei: Tsuneaki, you resented the Kyoto folks and humans, don't you? I can guess as much from what I've heard so far, so I can't see why you'd join the Defense Bureau and work to protect Earth and Japan.
How does Tsuneaki's hero form and agency actually connect?

Tsuneaki: ...what's it to you?
Gammei puts his guard back up, but Kouki realizes something...

Kouki: "You don't know yet, right? Even if you're a different race--"
Tsuneaki: "--you're free to think we can walk together." ...and unlike that drama, I think I do want to, so I'll answer. Yeah, I did hate the people of Kyoto way back, and the only one who helped me through it was the one human who treated me like a person. I called him Master, and then he left me his wish before kicking the bucket which is how I think I can be a hero without getting stuck in resentment.
Gammei: (frowns)
MC: So you joined the Defense Bureau to make it happen? / What wish was it?
(AB) Tsuneaki: Yep. But it surprised me too to find myself doing all this.
(C) Tsuneaki: Secret. I can tell you after this is all done with.

Tsuneaki: ...it's been years, but I still have my Master's wish. I won't give it up, no matter where I go or what I have to do.
Gammei: ...fine, I won't doubt you any more. If you're a hero for the people, then I'm not that different from you. So let's get this case closed already, yeah?
Tsuneaki: ...thanks guys.
People who believe in racial equality!

Tsuneaki: Whoops! Right, the case! I told you all I know, so how about we question the ninjas now?
Gammei: Yeah, I got tons of questions.
Tsuneaki unwraps the ninjas' heads.

Tsuneaki: Hey boys! How about we all kick back and talk ab--
EEEEVIL!

MC: Monster alert! It's nearby...

Gammei: wait what
Tsuneaki: Aww you guys suck. You're really gonna pull out Monsters and try to escape in the chaos?
Evil Purple: Like hell we're running! Make Japan Great Again!
Evil Red: How'd you like our mimic Monsters!?
Tsuneaki: Ahh yes, the Monsters that totally were here in Japan's great pre-space age universalization era.
Evil Red: We're just cleaning house of invading insects!
Kouki: WHAT
Gammei: You're better off not listening to their garbage, Kouki. Better to keep up your guard for that Monster. MC, where is it?
MC uses Observer Sense!

MC: Weird. I sense it nearby but I don't see it anywhere...
Evil Red: Take THAT, you accomplices! Your actions mean nothing! We can be caught and the plan will still--(vored)
Tsuneaki: ...what the hell is that?

Weird ghost things vore the evil ninjas and turn into oni!
MC: Are they Monsters? / They let themselves get eaten? / Didn't I see these things in the ghost woods?
Giant oni club swing!
Gammei: It touched things! It evolved!
Kouki: The ghost mikoshi Monsters evolved? But they look completely different!
MC: But they still ping the sa-- / Not the problem her-- / Get ready to fi--
More EEEEVIL!
MC: OW WHAT
Kouki: MC, are you okay!? ...are more coming?
Gammei: Guys, we gotta pull back for now!
The party disengages! More Monsters pop up!

Tsuneaki: Hello we do not have time for your--what?
The Monsters aren't chasing. The party turns to look back...

Gammei: What?
FUSION!

Gammei: wait WHAT
Kouki: What the hell is that!?
Giant Oni Lantern Monster!

Tsuneaki: MC, send me all the VP we have! Gammei, Kouki, evacuate the citizens while I keep it down!
MC: Okay! / Let's go team!
---
(C) Gammei and Kouki: Roger!
---
Tsuneaki: Come on! Exorcism "Great Bellflower Formation"!
Monster: REEEEE
Tsuneaki creates a giant energy seal with his shikigami!
Meanwhile in town...

Kouki: Everyone, please get away as far as you can! Sirius will guide you, so follow him!
Sirius: Bark!
Rando A: WHAT. Did we have a lantern that big?
Rando B: It's a Monster you moron! Didn't you hear it screaming!?
Some other rando stops to talk to Gammei.

Rando C: What's gonna happen to Shinraku!?
Gammei: It's cool we got this. We'll protect you, so get out of here.
Rando C: O-okay. Careful guys!

The Monster keeps screaming.
Tsuneaki: Okay wow, I really can't keep it down for long!
Monster: REEEEE
Tsuneaki: ...huh. So mimic-type Monsters start off hiding themselves to bring in victims, then use their memories upon evolving to look threatening? They're using mimicry in like every way. I can't believe those jerks brought this damn thing here!
The rest of the party returns!

Kouki: We're back! The townspeople are out now!
Tsuneaki: Oof, wow I actually held out. The barrier will break soon, so get ready to fight!
MC: Come on Kouki! / Counting on you, Gammei! / Tsuneaki, pull back!
---
(A) Kouki: We're gonna kick that Monster's ass, Sirius! Nobody's unwanted in this world!
(B) Gammei: We gotta kill it fast so people will still have a home to go back to! Time to show that not cutting my pay was worth it!
(C) Tsuneaki: Hey I can still fight. There's no way Master foresaw me pulling out partway! I couldn't bring myself to run away since this is my home. I gotta look cool! (Still, it's a bad spot we're in.)
---
The barrier breaks! The Monster starts moving as the party rocks up and Tsuneaki is thinking.

Tsuneaki: (...it can't have gotten so strong just from fusing. I have to keep watch for anything I've missed or else...!)
BATTLE START

No comments:

Post a Comment