Sunday, October 2, 2022

Live A Hero Reminiscence of Ghostwoods Episode 7 (Abridged)

Flashback, the day Lilac and Hashidoi were supposed to have an adventure in the forest. Lilac is carrying a basket for flowers so he can apologize to Hashidoi as he heads to said forest.
Lilac: I wonder if there's a lot of moria flowers? There weren't by the entrance...
Townie: Oh, Lilac! What's the basket for?
Lilac: Morning! Um, I said something mean to my brother so now I wanna apologize. I'm gonna get moria flowers for him!
Townie: Ooh, I know a good place for them then. (smiles) I grow them inside my home since moria flowers are weird and don't do well in places with bright sunlight.
Lilac: Oh! I was gonna look inside the forest for them.
Townie: There's going to be fog today, so you shouldn't go in. You could trip and fall! I can give you some of my flowers if that's okay. And there's other flowers you can give as an apology.
Lilac: Yay, thank you!
Townie: Tee hee, here you go. I hope you two make up!
Lilac: I'll do my best!
Lilac runs off, not noticing the ribbon on his basket falling off.

Meanwhile...
Hashidoi is holding the toy sword as he goes to the forest.

Hashidoi: Hmm. I don't see him around here in town. Is he already inside the forest?
Lilac's basket ribbon conveniently flutters by Hashidoi.
Hashidoi: (sniff) Oh. I guess he is. (walks off to the forest)
Later

Hashidoi: Anime...sick boy constitution...kicking in... Is there fog coming in? It's dulling my sense of smell...
Hashidoi struggles on, leaning on trees as he walks.

Hashidoi: Lilac! Are you there?
No answer. Bugs and birds chirp and buzz in the distance.

Hashidoi: ...it's creepy even though there's light... I wonder if Lilac could enjoy this? (deep breath) I bet he's further inside.

Later, Hashidoi finds a place with less fog and a giant tree.
Hashidoi: Wow! Is that the town's sacred tree Dad talked about? Also, it's clearer around here for some reason. Weird... oh, Lilac! Are you here?
No answer.

Hashidoi: Did we pass each other by somewhere? Maybe he's back home. Maybe he's mad we couldn't come on an adventure together... nah, he'd understand. Oh!
Hashidoi circles around the tree and starts digging in the shade.

Hashidoi: ...is this good enough to hide. I don't think adults would look in the roots. And now I'm tired...
Hashidoi sticks the sword down and covers it in sticks.

Hashidoi: I wonder if he'll enjoy it when we come here next time. I'll ask the doctor tomorrow if I can go outside if I feel better...oh, I smell morias.

Hashidoi follows the scent of the moria flower to some short trees blooming with the white flowers in the shade of the trees.
Hashidoi: I should pick some for Lilac since I should apologize for breaking my promise to him.
Hashidoi picks a flower, and then someone familiar shows up in front of him.

Hashidoi: ...Lilac? But...it doesn't smell like you. Is the fog here again? Sorry for yesterday, Lilac...
Not Lilac approaches silently.
Hashidoi: ...are you still mad? I picked my favorite flower for you as a present. (looks at flower for some courage) I tried my best to get here, but it's not fun without you. It might be too late to do much, but let's come on an adventure another time! With lunch, together! I'll talk Mom and the doctor and--
Hashidoi has picked a bunch of flowers and gives them to Not Lilac. Not Lilac comes even closer and seems to shapeshift.
Hashidoi: ...sorry Lilac. Will you accept my--ah

Later
Lilac: Yay! I was taught how to make a bouquet! I wonder if Hashidoi will be happy.
It's evening as Lilac runs home with a bouquet in his hands.

Lilac: ...but I have to apologize first. It's late, but I wonder if he's mad... does he hate me?
Lilac slows down as he gets closer to home. He sneaks a peek through the window and sees Hashidoi isn't around.
Lilac: He's not there...it'll be okay. I'll apologize when I see him. I practiced saying sorry...it'll be okay.
Lilac goes inside.
Lilac: ...I-I'm home! Mom, where's Hashidoi?
Lilac's Mom: (smiling) Welcome home, sweetie! Who's Hashidoi? A new friend?

Lilac: ...what? He's my brother!
Lilac's Mom: Aww, you two got so close already? Introduce us next time! Also that's a pretty bouquet you have? Did you make it? I love moria flowers!
Lilac: B-but...I made this...to apologize to Hashidoi... a neighbor showed me how...
Lilac's Mom: ...oh, did you two fight? It'll be okay. You made a nice bouquet, so he'll understand.
She smiles like somethings has clearly changed.

Lilac's Mom: Oops, I made one portion too many. Oh well, dinner time! Lilac, wash your hands before you eat your stew. I hope you two make up.
[I don't hate you, big brother. I never thought about not wanting you. So when you get better, I want us to go on an adventure together. I'm sorry, Hashidoi]
A bouquet falls softly onto the floor...

Title card: Don't Forget Me

Lilac (narrating): I grew up since then, learned about Monsters, and found out why my brother somehow disappeared. I was the only one left to remember him.
Flashback
Lilac: Welcome. Are you looking for a bouquet?
Lilac (narrating): I started working as a florist. Flowers were nothing special to me until Hashidoi disappeared, just things that were around at the time. I'm sure lots of people here think the same thing of them since there's so many kinds of flowers around, but flowers became special to me.
Lilac: Ah, that flower can't handle heat or overwatering, so be careful with it. The blue one blooms into a lot of small ones and the yellow one in the center looks like a star... A long time ago, my bro--I was given these flowers as a gift, so I love them.
Lilac (narrating): At some point, I realized I like flowers. Especially ones with relaxing scents. I became a hero who fought Monsters, and the scent always helped when I was hurt. The wish I fight for was the hope that people can smile together with plants. I'm sure my brother would have done that.
Lilac (narrating): ...I still felt an empty hole that can't be filled in my chest. Why couldn't I have said "sorry" back then...? I couldn't think of anything else back then. Maybe Hashidoi would still be here if we didn't fight. There's no way of knowing anymore, but...would I be able to say it now?

Present
Lilac: Ow... Gorou! Are you there?
Back to Lilac having fallen off a cliff in the woods. He's okay though because he fell into a pile of leaves. Also alone.
Lilac: Legs and shoulder hurt. But not that much. I can't climb back up that cliff without my hero suit, so I should call a nearby Operator to transform--oh my phone isn't working. Plan B, walking around. Still have to find that little boy, but carefully.
Lilac dusts himself and heads deeper into the misty forest.

Lilac: ...this feels creepy like I'm being watched. The fog is blocking my sense of smell too. I need to regroup with the party...

Lilac eventually finds a slightly open space.
Lilac: Where am I? I see a big tree, but...
The fog is thicker here. There doesn't seem to be any regular trees around, but it's hard to tell. Also the fog is moving like it's alive.
Lilac: I remember hearing about a there being a sacred tree for the city of Wehrmalt when I was younger... Is this it? Nobody talks about it anymore, so I didn't know it was real.
Lilac steps towards the tree and something immediately comes into view.

Lilac: ...bro...ther? Hashidoi? Why are you...
The shadowy figure of a little boy appears and is slowly coming this way!

Totally Hashidoi: ...
Lilac: I-Impossible! Nobody...remembers you... W-what? But you're here now... that... can't be right...?

The shadowy figure comes closer and touches Lilac.
Lilac: ...big...brother... it IS you.
Lilac seems to have regressed to a little kid as he reaches out to the shadow.

Lilac: ...Hashidoi, I've been looking for you forever. I...want to tell you something. Are you...still mad?
Totally Hashidoi: (shakes in place)
The shadow starts leading Lilac towards the giant tree.

Lilac: ...hey, Hashidoi? I...
Lilac loses the words he wanted to say since Back Then. The shadow stares at him for a while before pulling him towards the tree again, its color deepening.

Totally Hashidoi: ...Li...EE...KEK... Lilac, I've found you. Let's go home, Mom's waiting.
The shadow sounds just like Hashidoi did in Lilac's memories.

Lilac: ...okay. Did you come looking for me?
Totally Hashidoi: Yeah. Mom and Dad are worried. I'll lead, so don't let go of my hand.
Lilac: ...w-wait a second... Okay, I can do this. Brother? I--
Lilac kicks something at his feet and looks at it.

Lilac: A wooden sword? ...OW, my head!
Lilac lets go of Totally Hashidoi as he holds his head and picks up the sword. He recognizes it, and memories start flooding back

Hashidoi: This is the scent of a moria flower. Did you pick this because you knew I like it? When a moria flower blooms, it gives off a sweet, gentle scent. I'm half blind, but I'm sure it's beautiful.
Present
Lilac: Hashidoi? Moria flowers... I... I feel like I'm forgetting...
Totally Hashidoi holds his hand out while Lilac is suffering.

Totally Hashidoi: Lilac? Come on, let's go home. Take my hand.

Lilac nods and holds his right hand out, but stops and waves when he grips the wooden sword.
Lilac: ...huh? Something seems weird...
Something seems wrong. Lilac looks to see Hashidoi still there with a pasted smile on.

Lilac: ...no, wait.
Lilac speaks normally again instead of in his younger boy mindset.

Lilac: ...I remember. I'm the one who leads, and I hold my brother's hand with my left. Hashidoi never led... that was just my fantasy as a child.
Lilac would happily tell his brother how they would theoretically have fun running around outside, and Hashidoi would smile and listen as he sat in bed.

Lilac: It was my job to clear weeds and grass out of the way since Hashidoi couldn't see well. That was why he gave me this sword, to clear the way on adventures!
Lilac grabs onto the wooden toy sword harder to pull through his headache. When he looks up, suddenly chain tentacles come flying at him!

Lilac: !!
Lilac swings at the chains with the sword and parries the attack.

Not Hashidoi: ScrEE...?
A dark mosaic is spreading from the top of Hashidoi's head and makes a weird noise. Lilac grips the sword.
Lilac: ...no matter how long I've waited since that day hoping to apologize, Hashidoi never came back. He never will either, so... I have to tell him, or else they won't mean anything. (readies sword) I've carried these words I can never forget and moved forward. I won't apologize. I decided I will live my life carrying this burden.
Phantom Hashidoi vibrates and seems to collapse on himself!

Not Hashidoi: SssOOrrYSoRRRYSorRRyYYhahaha
A cloth seems to appear from within Not Hashidoi as the disguise falls, but it still looks like something terrible is happening to Hashidoi to Lilac.

Lilac: HASHIDOI!

Suddenly a white light bursts, followed by a shockwave!
Lilac: W-what!? ...Gorou!?
Gorou: Hey, Lilac! Grab on, I'm gonna jump! Hup!
Gorou pulls Lilac out before the shockwave hits! He then takes him some distance away where the rest of the party is.

Sui: Lilac, you're okay! We followed the signs you left to get here.
Flamier: Lilac, please pardon that blast wind. Are you okay? The Monster can bewilder people, so I used a bomb to break the effect.
Sui: Yes that was kind of a big blast. You chose to do that for a cheek pinch equivalent...?
Gorou: Well the Monster started dropping its disguise, so it became an emergency and that choice was the right one!
MC: Lilac, are you hurt? / That's not your brother!

Lilac: Everyone, you came for me. I'm sorry, thank you.
Gorou: Hey wait, you ARE hurt. You okay?
Lilac: R-right, this is from when I fell off a cliff. It's nothing much, I'll be fine after a little fixing up.
Gorou: Yeah, you should sit down. I bet they showed you some nasty stuff...we're here, it's okay. MC, could you give him some first aid?
MC: I can do simple disinfection at least. Also I see you broke your phone, so I have a spare. Come here.
MC has Lilac sit down while they pull out a simple med kit.

Flamier: ...that Monster showed up in front of Lilac too.
Gorou: Their method is so messed up! Don't fall for it, that ain't your brother.
Sui: They disguised themselves as Lilac's brother this time to attack... I can't believe they keep doing this!
Flamier: With visibility low, it would be dangerous to stay in place. I'll use another bomb to clear the fog. Everyone, please get down!

Flamier tosses a bunch of bombs into the air, which then explode!
Gorou: WHOA!
Sui: (cough) ...the fog is clear now, at least. Look, that tree!
Big Monster Type Reaper is is wrapped around the sacred tree with a chain tentacle, holding a scythe and eating flowers and the ground! Smaller ghost type Monsters are connected to the bigger one's chains and scythe!
Sui: It looks like it's using the tree as a nest and the other Monsters as familiars!
Gorou: The big one must be the main body, so it's gotta be the boss!
Flamier: MC, we cannot leave the big Monster alone!
The party readies to fight!

MC: Other Monsters are coming over too! I'll start the operation, get ready guys!

Sui: Okay! MC, I'll leave the timing of our supers to you!
Gorou: Okay there's kind of a lot of them, but time to show what I got!
Flamier: They're coming from the left and right too! We should strike first!
The three begin attacking the flunkies and working with MC's strategizing.

Lilac: ...MC, I'm okay now.
Lilac checks over himself as he calls to MC.

MC: You are? ...didn't they show you something horrible?
MC holds their left hand out to help Lilac. Lilac takes it to stand up while hanging onto the wooden sword in his right.
Lilac: MC, will you transform me again?
Lilac looks right at the Monster, then closes his eyes for a second. When he opens them again, they look filled with determination.

MC: Can you fight? / You've made up your mind, huh.

Lilac: ...yes. I see part of that Monster as my brother...as Hashidoi. But it isn't. Hashidoi would never do this, of that I am sure.
Lilac looks at the rest of the party already fighting. He looks like he's faced against the pain of someone he's lost and surpassed the heartbreak to find a powerful belief.

Lilac: ...I believe everyone here carries a difficult past as a hero, not just me. There's still so much I wanted to say. If he had lived, I don't know how happy our life could have been... But I swore in my heart to get past it. Even if I lose my memories, I won't forget that pain...or my brother.
MC: ...okay. Transforming then!
MC nods to Lilac and passes them a spare phone, then activates the transformation.

Lilac: ...that big Monster looks like it grew that big from eating something. If it's related to the disappearances in town, then I cannot let it stand anymore. Not for that, and not for taking my brother's future away.

Lilac looks to MC and holds out his right hand.
Lilac: ...MC, I have a favor to ask. Could you hold onto this sword and my brother's memento during this battle?
MC: Sure.
Lilac: Thank you very much... We will end this, here and now. I will cut out the root of evil and that Monster so that it will never harm people again!
Lilac stands ready against the Monster, then closes his eyes and whispers to his brother's memory.

Lilac: ...Hashidoi, I won't make that mistake anymore. I will protect you this time, so please... watch over me.
BATTLE START

No comments:

Post a Comment