Monday, October 24, 2022

Live A Hero Book 2 Chapter 1 Episode 4: "Unique" (Abridged)

Evil Blue: HIDEBU
Evil Red: Those shitty little rats!
MC and friends have escaped, leaving the evil ninjas to eat the dirt.

Mystery Man: (walks up) Wow, you guys went down like little bitches.
Evil Yellow: S-shut up punk! Don't go acting big just 'cuz you're a little stronger!
Mystery Man: Big words from a baby who got his ass BEAT. Whatever. Your dumbass friends with better noses went ahead and caused some crap, so I gotta go see what they're up to. I might need to step in too. You guys should get out of here before normal people see you. (snrks and stalks off)
Evil Red: GODDAMN NEWBIE

Elsewhere
The party drives over to some huge building with landscaped topiary out front. There's a sign that says New National Library.

MC: A library? This is where we're going?
Seiichirou: Yes. Take the car back and watch out for enemy reinforcements.
Seiichirou talks to the driver, then closes the door. The car drives off and Seiichirou leads the way into the library. Team Parallel Flight looks at each other confused at this but follows along.

Danzo: Hmmmm...
Danzo brings up the rear but suddenly stops to stare at something.

Inside the building, not many people are around. Halls for days line the sides filled with bookshelves stacked with books.
Ryekie: I don't think I've been in a library since I was in school. It kinda makes me feel like standing straight up.
Akashi: Damn, this place is amazing. I only heard of the name before, and it'd take more than a lifetime to read all these books.
Huckle: Don't like libraries, you two? I grew up around books myself, so I like places like these.
MC: How many books are there? / I'd love to read a ton here / Akashi do you even read
(B) Akashi: Oh right, you're a reader. Me, not so much...
(C) Akashi: H-HEY! I read! ...sort of.

Huckle: I've heard this library carries every published book in the country it can get its hands on, but it's still amazing to see it in person. And that is a lot of bookshelves I see. How many books are there?
???: Between open access and librarian-reserve requests, we have 66,238,033 books.
Santetsu walks up from behind the party. He looks mildly annoyed that people are here.

Ryekie: Where'd you come from!?
Santetsu: We are in a library, quiet please.
Ryekie: O-oh, right. Sorry...
Seiichirou: ...how surprising. I was about to ask for you at the counter. You almost never come see anyone yourself Santetsu.

Santetsu scratches his head and sighs.
Santetsu: ...you told me ahead of time you'd be here, so I can come wait for you at least. So. "What are you looking for today?"
Seiichirou: "I want to see the articles on the middle column on page 3 and top column on page 8 in the Sept. 22, 2042 Taiyou Newspaper, the Sunday paper. I was told that a librarian has to reserve it, so could you show me the way?"
Seiichirou pulls out a card and gives it to Santetsu. Santetsu scans the card with his phone or some small computer, then nods at the results.

Santetsu: Okay, this way. (turns and walks further inside)
Seiichirou: W-wait, don't you need to verify everyone else's identities? At least introduce yourself.
Santetsu: I figured you'd have checked their backgrounds already if you were bringing them with you, Sir. Oh, I'm Santetsu. Tokuhara Santetsu, librarian. Nice to meet you. (starts walking again)
MC: Awkward / Weirdo / He's cute
---
(C) Akashi: (stares in childhood friend)
---
Exio: ...I see he's really started trusting you in the time we've been apart.
Seiichirou: ...no, he just can't be assed to do much of anything. (sighs) Well, let's get to walking.

The library is like a maze as Santetsu leads the party up up down down left right past a few researcher offices or something and further in.
Huckle: Is it just me, or are we...taking the scenic route?
Santetsu: Yeah, I think it's a pain too, but them's the rules.
Santetsu pulls on one of the books on the librarian-only shelves, which of course causes a secret door to reveal itself.
Ryekie: What? An elevator!?
The elevator door opens, and it looks totally normal inside. The party gets in.

Akashi: Is this a secret base or something
Seiichirou: Yes. Isn't this exciting?
Akashi: U-uh...yeah...
MC: Adventure! / Yeah, some people would like this / Yeah you look excited, Akashi
---
(C) Akashi: W-well, I did think they were cool when I was a kid... W-who cares!? Shut up, we're in a library!
---
The elevator door closes. MC then realizes something.

MC: ...hey where's Danzo?

Later, the elevator eventually reaches the bottom floor. There's computers and monitors and crammed bookshelves everywhere. It looks more like a military base than a library room.
Ryekie: ...impressive.
???: You're here? I apologize for the trouble it took for you to get here.
Roiker gets up from some desk in the center of the room and walks over.

Roiker: Hello Seiichirou, Santetsu. Long time no see Exio. And welcome to our guests. This is the Alliance's safehouse.
MC: Uh, who are you? / A scientist? / Cute!
(C) Roiker: Wha...? S-sorry, I got confused there since I don't usually get compliments on my appearance.
Akashi: Stop calling every alien you see cute! It might be rude...

Roiker: Excuse me. I am Roiker Chandler Shen, something akin to the boss of the Alliance's Earth branch. In public I'm an astrophysics professor at Keihan National College. Pleased to meet you.
Akashi: K-Keihan? That's the top ranked college in the country...
Huckle: If the Alliance is built around Observers...does that mean you're an Observer?
Roiker: No, I'm a hero. So is Santetsu by the way. We don't show up in public much so we aren't that well known.
Santetsu awkwardly looks away.

Roiker: We are looking into various methods for taking down the Broker. For example, I mainly research parallel worlds to look into the Broker's identity and the Monsters' origins. I also improve and maintain the gacha Ether Searcher.
MC: You made that thing!?

Roiker: Well it was my teacher who completed it, not me. I just took over his research and developed it. So while I may not be an Observer, I do know more than most about them. It's a large part of why I'm in this organization.
Roiker approaches MC.

Roiker: Seiichirou suggesting inviting you all here IS part of why you're here, but there's something important I need to tell you MC. Call it...background knowledge. I'll need to indicate how you should act from now on... and personally, I've wanted to talk to you at least once. Pardon my selfishness.
MC: what
Ryekie: Is this about how MC was able to bring back Mt. Fuji? And you know why MC is clearly different from other Observers...?
Roiker: "Know" would be slightly incorrect, but I do have a highly likely hypothesis. But with no way to prove it, as a researcher I can't call it the truth. I'm sure this will help you in thinking about your self though.

Roiker fixes his glasses and fiddles with his phone to pull some things up on screen.
Roiker: ...so my teacher and I once researched into beings called Uniques.
MC: What's that?
Roiker: I only have an example out of folklore and rumors so barely any of this is validated, but there was once this girl on another planet. Quick aside, all space scientists agree that ether flows in one direction. Ether can make waves, but it's supposed to be impossible for it to move in whirls and against the direction of the flow. I bring that up because that it was different for the girl, as the ether swirled only around her. For her this wasn't a good thing, and it started when scientists discovered this fact.
Roiker: Impossible phenomena occurred only around this girl. The scientists who were studying ether labeled her a Unique and did all sorts of experiments. They then discovered she could alter the development of the world closer to how she thought, even beyond her direct ability to interact with things. For example, she saw the news of a serial killer running, and she made him trip up out of indignation and get arrested. She also wanted to see a meteor shower one time and made a storm forecast go away in favor of clear weather.
Roiker: Individually you could call these coincidences. But some of the scientists still doubted the relationship between her and the events, so they tied her up even harder and did harsher experiments. She...decided to leave a note to say she didn't want to live anymore.

Roiker: The records of these times ended with the scientists taking their records back to their home planets. About a month after that happened, the planet the girl and scientists were on had strange activity happen. Then devastating damage was dealt that destroyed its atmosphere and killed everything on it.
MC: How awful... / Everything happened the way she thought it would / Sounds like a fable
---
(A) Huckle: ...that sounds like some sort of fable.
---
Roiker: Yes, it's so over the top that I didn't believe until I saw the materials for myself. My teacher had preserved these records though, and he even inherited the research of the other scientists. So, I must admit that Uniques can possibly exist. And that's why I'm doing my best to study them.

Roiker: So at the end of all that research there's no concrete proof, but there are commonly agreed upon hypothetical situations. First, Uniques have extremely powerful influences on the universe. Secondly, Uniques are omnipresent to the point they don't recognize themselves as Uniques. Thirdly, Uniques are constantly alternating in place as they exist in the universe.
Ryekie: Having a powerful influence on the universe...that reminds me of the Broker for some reason.
Roiker: I can't rule against it, but I doubt that he is a Unique. If he were, the Observers under his patronage would have been in situations he could more easily manipulate. That we CAN plan our opposition against him suggests he likely isn't a Unique.
MC: Right...so why are we talking about this? ...wait
Roiker: ...MC, I believe that you may be a Unique.
MC: WHAT / Figured...

Akashi: NO WAY! Yeah, MC's a little weird, and maybe they're special as an Observer! But I've never seen them having THAT much power!
Roiker: Of course they'd look normal according to outsiders. Not even Uniques themselves would have noticed anything different.
Roiker: We can't come to any conclusions of course. I have no way of knowing if and how the world changed according to MC's wishes. There's just reasons to believe they may be. Unlike other Observers, you seem to have the memories of someone else. Besides that, Exio among other Observers has noticed that ether flows differently around you.
Exio: (nods) Haven't you ever wondered how I was able to tell you were an Observer? When Observers understand what they are, they're able to sense the flow of ether on command. The day you awoke as an Observer, there was a huge change in the ether flow in Orient City. It formed a swirl around you, which was how I knew.
MC: Oh...

Ryekie: So...MC IS a Unique?
Roiker: To repeat myself, I can't say because I can't prove it. I just think so. I've looked into records of past Observers I've suspected were Uniques, but I've never found any sort of precedent. I can't think of any traits particular to someone who is both a Unique and an Observer.
Roiker: (looks pointedly at MC) ...if you happen to be an exception among exceptions and have incredible power as an Observer because of that, then you have to be more careful than anyone else. I mean that in how you use your powers, and of attachments from the Broker.
MC: Wait what
Sudden shaking!

Ryekie: Did something just blow up!?
Huckle: It's close by! Is it above us!?
Seiichirou's phone beeps.

Seiichirou: Danzo! What happened!?
Danzo: Shit hit the fan! I was secretly chasing after some dudes but there was more than I expected! Anyways, can y'all come out and help!? Or else the library's gonna turn into a scrap heap!
Santetsu: OH NO
End of Episode

1 comment:

  1. I love how the plot unfolds smoothly and the characters focus on the work of heroes, more please!! thank you very much for translating!!

    ReplyDelete