Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Fortune Superstitions with Oni and Dragons Prologue (Abridged)

Everything Amanojaku does blows up on him for as long as he lived, even though he wanted things to turn out normally despite never giving any thought as to what "normal" is. He just knows things are a certain way, and him trying to do something turns out weird because of how he was made to be. And until he came to Tokyo, he never knew that things could be flipped around and stay the same, or that him flipping himself over could actually help someone.
Shinjuku Shrine, New Year's Eve
The Summoners are helping Touji out again.

MC: The crowds are huge already. Tomorrow's gonna be hell!
Touji: Indeed. Thanks for coming, MC. You should join with everyone else inside.
MC: Okay. What about you?
Touji: I still have work to do, but don't worry about me. Say hi for me to our two new volunteers.
MC: who
Touji: Oh right. They should be here already and--
The priest calls for Touji!

Touji: Oops. The others can tell you. See you later.

Inside
Ryouta: Hey MC!
Gullinbursti: Master! Let me warm you with me fur!
Kengo: But the heat's on already
Shirou: SHUT UP. Here MC, have some bean soup.
It's the rest of the gang and two strangers!

Moritaka: We were just getting acquainted.
It's Qinglong and Amanojaku!

MC: Oh. Is that who Touji was talking about?
Moritaka: Qinglong, Amanojaku, this is our guildmaster MC. Now you finally meet after coincidentally never seeing each other around before.
Qinglong: Hello, I am Qinglong, one of the Four Heavenly Spirits and a hermit dragon who protects the new year.
Chinese Flash!

MC: oh god praise be
Qinglong: On a less dramatic note, I teach at Umamichi. Nice to meet you.
MC: In Asakusa with Motosumi and everyone else? / You work with Tianjun?
(C) Qinglong: I do. You know him?

Qinglong: I retired from my old post and gave it to someone else before coming here and--oh, let's leave it at that. Your turn Amanojaku.
Amanojaku: H-hello... I'm from Wa no Kuni, I go to Umamichi as a 1st year high schooler and, uh...I live with Qinglong as his roommate.
MC: (greet) / You live together? / so cute and humble
---
(B) Qinglong: Yes, because of Reasons™.
(C) Amanojaku: WHAT
---
Amanojaku: ...um, nice to meet you.
Amanojaku: (confused staring)
Moritaka: Something wrong?
Moritaka: Sorry, did we put you off? Let's relax and eat together.
Amanojaku: Oh, it's not like that! I'm just tired or something?
Qinglong: (stares)

Qinglong: Oh yes we didn't have much for dinner. Pass the soup?
Shirou: Here you go. Have some too, MC.
Gullinbursti: I made mochi earlier! Have some of that as well.
Swarming Evils!

Shirou: Okay okay settle down, this is the last helping for you little things.
MC: (eat) / where's Agyou? / where's Hanuman?
(A) Shirou: Don't choke from eating too fast, okay?
Qinglong: I can help with my Tai Chi Chuan​ if you do choke!
Amanojaku: Oh my god you can't just kill MC!
(B) Ryouta: He's busy and said he'll come later.
(C) Ryouta: Umamichi New Years thing. He'll swing by later.

Ryouta: Oh right, Inaba said he'll be here to help midday tomorrow.
Amanojaku: Wow, so many friends...
Ryouta: You're a friend too now!
Amanojaku: O-oh, thank you. I'll try my best to be a good friend.
And so everyone starts talking about what they need to do and what they want to do next year.

Gullinbursti: Training! For Master!
Moritaka: Me too!
Gullinbursti: Let's train in the mountains together!
Kengo: Ooh! Ooh! Me to--
Shirou: Stop racking up extra classes for once. Actually, go take your extra classes seriously first.
Ryouta: Please be gentle on him. MC, you have any plans?
MC: Good health! / Money! / uhhhh
(A) Ryouta: Yeah! Good food!
Qinglong: I want to try new dishes.
Ryouta: Are you a foodie? I know lots of good spots!
(B) Ryouta: omg same, gotta save for seasonal sweets.
Qinglong: It's good to have goals. Ryouta, do you know much about food? I'm looking for new things to try.
Ryouta: I know tons of stuff!
(C) Ryouta: I know that feel. How can I pick just one?
Qinglong: A good problem to have. I hope to find new foods myself.
Ryouta: Ooh, I know lots of places you can check!

Qinglong: Wonderful!
Amanojaku: Sensei, you've been getting fatter lately.
Qinglong: Nooo, spare me on the holidays!
Amanojaku: No ordering extra junk food next year. Also cut your peach supply in half.
Qinglong: NOOO NOT MY PEACHES
Qinglong begs on bended knees. Amanojaku is holding back a smile. The party is baffled.

Moritaka: You two get along so well. Are you hoping for anything next year, Amanojaku?
Amanojaku: U-uhh...
He seems to be keeping quiet.

Amanojaku: ...I-I want to live with my feet firmly planted on the ground. No surprise turnarounds! Uhh... I caused a lot of problems since coming to Tokyo so I want to be helpful to people next year.
Moritaka: Commendable! Is that why you're here volunteering?
Amanojaku: Oh, uh, not really...
Qinglong: Amanojaku's under probation and this is part of his rehabilitation.
MC: what?

Gullinbursti: I do not understand these words
Ryouta: Amanojaku got arrested and has to show he's a good boy now?
Qinglong: Yes, something like that. I'm Amanojaku's probation officer.
Shocked gang!

Amanojaku: (looks ashamed)
Kengo: tf you mean he's a crazy punk? He helped carry things earlier just fine!
Shirou: Oh, sometimes officers pick up newly summoned Transients to keep them from committing crimes out of culture shock.
Moritaka: Amazing, Amanojaku! I'll help if you need it!
MC: I know how it is. Don't worry about it.
Amanojaku: Um, they told me they've never seen anyone like me befo--(looks down)--um, thank you. I'll do my b--
BEEP BEEP

Shirou: Whoops, my alarm for the New Years fireworks. I set it to remind us when it's five minutes before it's--!!
Gang: ON NO
Ryouta: Okay still five minutes. Let's not trip and spill and soup!
Kengo: Who cares about soup anymore!?
Gullinbursti: Ride me, Master!
Moritaka: I'll lead us to the special seats Touji got for us!
Shirou: Evils, get into my jacket!
And so everyone hurries outside.

Outside
Agyou: WHERE HAVE YOU GUYS BEEN
Touji: Why did I expect this to be any different?
MC: We made it! Hey guys, how much longer?
Touji: We must thank the priest for letting us greet New Years together.
Agyou: Yeah! Also, two minutes to go.
Qinglong and Amanojaku bring up the rear.

Agyou: There you guys are. The gang's cool, right? Sometimes.
Amanojaku: Y-yeah.
Moritaka: Isn't it hard to see back there?
Ryouta: How about you stand in front of MC?
MC: Yeah!
Qinglong: ...go on. I'm the tallest, so I'm fine standing in the back.
Amanojaku: Okay, thank you.
Amanojaku: (Something felt weird when I shook MC's hand earlier. Also I don't think I've seen fireworks with anyone before..)

Fireworks time!
Gang: Happy New Year!
MC: And happy New Year to you, Qinglong and Amanojaku!
Amanojaku: Well...no, yeah. Happy New Year's.
Qinglong: May fate smile on you.
Fireworks continue. When the show ends, people start lining up. The party joins in.

Amanojaku: ...Sensei, why are we doing the rehabilitation here?
Qinglong: To show you we are special and not special.
Amanojaku: ...I hope I can make friends. Especially with MC>
Qinglong: Huh. Why's that?
Amanojaku: My Madness seems different this time, like I'm not along. Or something.
Qinglong: Oh. I'm glad we came. I thought Fuxi of the Three Emperors recommending this place was strange, but he was right.
Somewhere Else

Fuxi: ASIAN SNEEZE SUPERSTITION! Oof, maybe I should have stayed home. Nah, Sister was never one to sit still. SIIIISTER!

Shrine
Amanojaku: Sensei, what's Fuxi like?
Qinglong: U-uhhh...you'll see him soon. Quick, let's catch up.
Amanojaku and Qinglong rejoin the party! So does Touji.

Touji: Sorry to crash the fun, but could you start helping control the lines? And look out for lost children.
MC: Time to work!
Moritaka: Understood.
Qinglong: ...you'll be okay with them. You'll see.
Amanojaku: Right. I'll help too!
MC: Let's go! / It's okay to rest if you haven't slept!
---
(A) Amanojaku: O-okay!
(BC) Amanojaku: I-I'll be okay!
---
Amanojaku: (Boy I hope I don't flip out here.)
Amanojaku: Oh right. Sensei, I'm not helping you if you pass out drunk today.
Qinglong: !?
And so begins the new year.

End of Episode

No comments:

Post a Comment