Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Oedo Christmas Episode 5 Part 2 (Abridged)

Tanetomo: Use this chibi sword magic on me so I can be the cutest.
Shino: No, on me! Then the shogun and I can--
Otter: OKAY OKAY BACK UP GEEZ
Back to the Christmas party! Lots of people are crowding Otter.

Otter: Where have you people been!? Even Horus asked me to chibify him, then ran off!
Horus: Thank you Otter. I finally feel much better.
Otter: WHAT HAPPENED TO Y--well actually I guess this is a good thing...?
Gouryou: Ooh, look at Mr. Popular~
Ulaanbaatar: Hey babies, wanna go for drinks?
Turing: I am surrounded by idiots. Okay Otter, let's switch so you can go on break.
Otter: Thanks! (runs off)

Later
Shie: Oh my Japanese gods, you look great in that, Snow White!
Turing: Hello love. Present for you.
Ashigara: You're that mean judge! How do you like me now!?
Turing: Oh look, did you finally come up with the perfect comeback walking up a nonexistent staircase?
Ashigara: Ha, gloat while you can!
Some more time later

Horus: Otter, turn me back now!
Tanetomo: So THIS is the chibi thing people have been talking about. It does look cute I suppose.
Yasuyori: Umm, you're plenty cute Tanetomo.
Tanetomo: I mean yes, obviously, but I can always do with a bit more.

Later
Totally Living Children: Santa, presents please!
Gouryou: Sure. Still plenty more for everyone else.
Definitely Not A Ghost A: Santa, please lemme ride on your back!
Definitely Not A Ghost B: Let's play!
Gouryou: Ow stop pulling the beard! I'm busy!
Fancy Guy: Hey thanks for looking after the kids, Santa.
Gouryou: Yeah sure it's cool.
Ulaanbaatar: Wow you sure are good with kids.
Gouryou: Buncha kids keep asking me to play with them back in Asakusa at the temple I crash...hey wait they haven't been bothering me lately. Heh, being good for Santa?
Ulaan: Nice. Well I've got NO standards for--ohh I get it.
More children and youkai children mob Gouryou.

Later
Otter: Okay FINALLY I have some peace and quiet. Everyone was mobbing me!
He doesn't seem that upset about it.

Otter: Oedo Christmas has been great, huh MC?
MC: Yep!
Otter: People hated me back in Kamui Kotan so I know how Edo youkai feel. Then I came to Tokyo and wow, people didn't hate me! And youkai are around like it's nothing. I hope Edo becomes like that someday.
Otter watches Gouryou and Ulaanbaatar play with kids.

Otter: Change is hard, but I hope it gets normalized for those kids. Small steps to big changes over time, so I gotta keep going.
MC: Nice.
Otter: Keep it coming, hehe! Oh right, main event time!
Here comes the Christmas cake! Everyone is paying attention.

Otter: Everyone's looking! Hey Shogun, Snow White, thanks for all your help with this!
Turing: Thank the baker instead. The shogun gathered the main ingredients and the baker fudged what we didn't have.
MC: This cake clearly isn't enough for everyone.

Otter: I can make it work! Line everyone up!
Turing: Ooh, I see. Chibify everyone to make the cake stretch.
Otter: Yep!
Horus: Are you going to undo my chibi status yet?
Otter: Hey you asked for it to begin with! Do you like it or something~
Horus: NO! Just, um...
Otter: Oh, I just thought of something! Let's take a picture!
Otter takes a selfie with the old camera with Horus.

Otter: Nice. Ringring, MC, bring the cake over!
Gouryou and Ulaanbaatar walk over.

Gouryou: God, FINALLY they let us go.
Ulaan: Oh, did you guys wait for us? You didn't have to!
Otter: No way! C'mon let's all have cake!

Otter chibifies the party!
Otter: Your turn, MC!
Ulaanbaatar: Wow this strawberry's as big as my head!
Horus: Uncle hasn't been chibified yet!
Turing: Don't worry love, it's not like we can eat through it all that fast while this small.
Gouryou: Ooh, if MC's served up next a different part of me will be happy if you know what I mean!
Turing: Hey, how about we have long pork next?
Gouryou: WHAT
Ulaan: mmm cake
Otter: Wait I haven't taken the picture yet!
MC: Welp / Nice
MC takes the camera.

MC: Say cheese!
click
Otter and party AR!

Deja vu...
Well flashback with the sepia picture!

MC: Hey isn't this the picture we found in the bucket except that one was sepia?
Turing: Wait love, show me the picture! (looks at picture)
Turing: Ulaanbaatar, check the wormhole immediately!
Ulaan: O-okay? ...wait it's opened up now!
Turing: Oh! I should start thinking out loud now.
MC: What? Can we go home?
Turing: Remember way back when I talked about time paradoxes?
Horus: Something something multiple explanations.
Turing: Correct. What if it turns out it's the future that's defined here, meaning Tokyo?
Otter: WHAT
Gouryou: Short version: the future stays the same no matter what happens in the past. Convenient if true! We were working on the assumption we'd paradox ourselves out of existence if we messed up.
MC: Doesn't that mean there was never a paradox? Everything lines up.

Turing: Normally yes. But here we have some unusual bits.
Horus: The old picture we saw while in the future?
Turing: Righto. The one we saw had to have been taken in Edo. So, we couldn't leave until it was taken
Ulaanbaatar: Didn't we just take the picture? The one we saw was old...although I guess it did look Edo period old.
Turing:  What if we called it the reverse playback of time?
MC: what
Turing: For example. What if we rolled a ball across the desk right to left. How'd it look?
Otter: Uh, a ball rolling right to left like you literally just said?
Turing: Now what if you reverse it?
Horus: ...ooh, a perspective problem.
Turing: Yep. Time normally goes only one way, but not in physics! If you can go against it, anything can be undone. See a picture in the future? Take a picture in the past. It being weird to us is just a perspective thing.
MC: Soooo we can go back now, right? Suddenly depressed now.
Ulaan: Wait, shouldn't we be leaving now then? We don't know if we're right and the hole could close up.
Otter: We can't say goodbye...?
Turing: Correct. This is just me coming up with one answer after all. It could always be something else happening.
MC: Oh... / (get ready to leave)

Later
Ashigara: Where's Gouryou and Ulaanbaatar? We have a hotness score to settle!
Tanetomo: Ooh, judging time again.
Gorozaemon: Haha Sandayu, Otter ran off on us! He's Oni Hayabusa's minion now.
Sandayu: Maybe I can ask the shogun to make him a garden watcher...
Tadatomo: Our lord has thrown the best party ever!
Gyoubu: Speaking of, where are they? Things will be great with them around.
Goemon: Maybe we should get them to perform as themselves!
Oniwaka: Sure whatever. I'll do whatever if they're in...
Shie: ...where did Snow White go?

Later
MC: Ready to go?
The party nods, having their own thoughts.

Ulaanbaatar: Right, time to go home. Oh but first, close your eyes? Juuust for a sec.
Horus: ...okay. Cross my heart.
Ulaan: Yesssss.
Everyone else agrees.

Ulaan: Cool, hang on! Here we go!
Turing: (Well now. I'm not Snow White anymore... it's been fun, Edo. Cheers.)
Horus: (It was nice to take a break from being a World Representative for a while. I'm ready to go back to all that work...)
Ulaan: (Yeeeah it was awesome not having to hide as much! But wow this place has to be neighboring Tokyo somehow if my artifact works.)
Gouryou: (uggggh I JUST got a cushy job. Maybe I will go tell Motosumi and Sanzou there used to be a paradise in the east.)
Otter: (I should talk to Nobumichi when we get back and--oh no I'm getting all sentimental about this place!)
MC: Goodbye, Edo.
To be continued in the epilogue!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the translation of both Housamo and Live A Hero. I just start playing both games and with your translation, it help me understand stories of the game. PS: Sorry for broken English.

    ReplyDelete