Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Live A Hero Reminiscence of Ghostwoods Episode 6 (Abridged)

Gorou: LILAC! Where are you!?
Gorou is using his phone flashlight to light his way as he moves through the forest. He sweats, and the fog is sapping his energy.
Gorou: ...didn't he fall around here? It can't have been that far. Have I been running in circles!?
Gorou brushes aside branches as he goes on. A faint shadow appears ahead of him.

Gorou: Is that Lilac? Or MC and the others? ...no wait, too small. Is it the missing kiddo?
The shadow approaches.
Gorou: Hey, you okay!? I'm coming over--
The fog darkens. Gorou closes in faster, then gasps at what he sees.

Gorou: Wha--!? A-are you...my little boy Kame!? B-but...huh? That can't...but...! Kame, is that really you? Do you recognize me!? It's Daddy!

Gorou: It IS you Kame! How could you make me worry so much, you little dummy!? I've missed you so much! But why are you here? ...wait, what? Aren't I forgetting something...?
Gorou staggers around confused. The shadow approaches closer and grabs his hand. It feels warm, and is covered in soft fur.
???: ...
Gorou: ...what's wrong, Kame? You want me to come with you?
Gorou seems to have zoned out as he blankly grabs the hand back, and the two walk further into the forest as if guided.

Title card: Reminiscent Love

Gorou is at a nice and sunny park with lots of flowers.
Gorou: Look, Kame! It's your favorite flowers!
Gorou puts down the boy he was carrying and nudges him forward. The little boy totters and reaches for the flowers.
Kame: Mommy, Daddy, look at all the flowers! (proudly shows a bunch of flowers he picked)
Gorou: Wow, you picked up a lot again! Maybe you'll be a florist one day! But what do you think of carpenters? We look cool too, huh?
Kame: Yeah!
Gorou: Okay, I'll take you on as an apprentice whenever you want! Kidding. Come on!
Gorou's wife lays out a blanket and a picnic basket. This whole outing is Gorou's idea after being busy stuck at work.

Gorou: Kame, lunch time! You don't need to rush.
Kame: I love running Daddy!
Kame runs up and hugs Gorou's arm.

Gorou: Haha, look at how sweaty you are. Drink some water so you don't collapse.
Kame: Daddy your arm is huge! You smell like the sun!
Gorou: T-that's not a bad thing, right?
Kame No, I love it! It's warm and makes me sleepy!
Gorou: Oh okay. Kids have such a way with words. Like me? But sit next to Mommy, it's lunch time!
Kame happily sits down as Gorou's wife opens up the picnic basket, then reaches for some food.

Gorou: OW! My head!

Kame: Daddy? What's wrong?
Gorou: I-I'm okay. I got better after I thought of you. Come on, let's eat then play!
Gorou pulls some tin plate toys out of a bag and hands them to Kame.

Kame: Yay!
Gorou: Daddy can make things if he tries! Don't lose them, okay?
Kame: Daddy, look! This one wants to dance!
Kame makes noises as he plays with the toys.

Kame: Daddy, do that thing you did last time! The one that made sounds!
Gorou: Sure! I thought you'd say that, so I brought it with me!
Gorou pulls out an accordion and starts playing it.

Kame: Yay! Let's dance, Daddy!

It feels like a dream, warm and happy here. Kame sings, and his parents smile and watch. More children around Kame's age soon surround Gorou. It's nice to spend a day off like a family man, he thought.
Gorou: Whew, how was that?
Kame: That was great! He says it was fun too. (waves a toy)
Gorou: I made your new friend myself. Take care of him, okay? And once we go home, be sure to put him away and--
Another headache!

Gorou: ...what? Am I...forgetting something? Work? No wait, it's something else...
Pale memories resurface. A ruined city. A mountain of rubble. And buried beneath it all is--

Kame: Daddy? Are you daydreaming?
Gorou: Kame? You...
Gorou holds his head as he looks at his son. He remembers the very last time he held him. Warmth was leaving his body. His neck was broken beyond natural angles. Red stained Gorou's hands. The scent of iron. Screaming and crying that drowned out explosions and destruction.
???: Go...r...
Stabbing pain. A quiet voice calls out.

Kame: Mommy told me you can't run around with your head in the clouds!
A nauseous, pale Gorou stares at the boy in front of him.

Gorou: Kame...my little boy...is dead. It was my fault... My house wasn't built sturdy enough... It was my fault the house fell on...
Kame: Daddy? I'll kiss the boo-boo away!

Kame holds Gorou's arm and says some magic words. His sweaty fur is bundled up, his heart racing faster than usual. He is clearly alive.
Gorou: ...you really are Kame. My...boy. Why...? You're here alive. There shouldn't be anything wrong with that, but...
Kame: Okay Daddy, you're all better! Let's go to Mommy!
Kame pulls on Gorou to lead him over.

Gorou: Dammit... (stares at the hand pulling on him)
Kame is alive. Why did he think he was dead? He wants to hold onto this hand for always, looking over the boy until he gets older.

Gorou: If I can stay with you...I'd take it all being a lie any day. But...
Gorou grits his teeth as he lets go, even if he'd never get to do so again.

Gorou: ...I know. Kame is gone.

Kame: Daddy? Come on, let's go to Mommy!
Gorou: ...Kame? Did you know Daddy has another job? When I'm not a carpenter, I'm a hero who protects people. Cool, huh?
Gorou hangs his head, his voice tinged with resentment.

Gorou: ...heroes can never give up. They carry their beliefs to keep protecting people. You're here and I don't find that weird, and I don't know how THAT works. Or anything happening here actually but...
Gorou angrily punches a tree. His hand bleeds as the tree shakes, and mosaics cover his vision for a second.
Gorou: ...I don't even care how it works. You can't get me drunk off this. I'll keep carrying my beliefs forward and build a house that'll never break again to protect those I care about. I swore that on Kame's life and my deepest regrets, and I'll never ever forget that.
Kame's expression remains unchanged as he looks back with cold eyes.

Gorou: I decided to live with those feelings, even when I drink myself out cold. You're gonna have to do better than that if you wanna get ME drunk, freak.
Kame: (stares blankly)
Kame's neck goes The Exorcist, with the back of his head facing Gorou now turning dark and popping out a white sheet or whatever.

Gorou: ...I knew it. I wish it weren't true.
Gorou bites back the desire to express concern over his boy who still seems alive in his eyes.

Gorou: ...my little boy is strong, so Daddy can't lose either!
???: ...orou... Gor... sto... Wai... rou
More stabbing pain in the head, and a faint voice beyond. He remembers that voice.

Gorou: ...I can't sing and dance or make toys for you anymore...but you've always been with me in my memories and you always will. No one will ever dirty that up for me!

The illusion is broken! MC and the others run up from behind.
MC: Gorou! Wait!
Sui: MC, he turned back! Just a little more!
Flamier: Gorou! Please be careful, the fog is coming!
Sui and Flamier clear the way forward with MC bringing up the rear. Gorou gives a pained sigh at seeing them.
Gorou: ...oh, it's you guys. Good timing, I got a favor to ask. You mind helping out? My kid turned into a ghoulie. I gotta do something...but I can't do it alone right now.
He smiles, but his eyes brim with rage.

MC: ...Gorou, that shadow isn't a kid!
Gorou: ...I know. I think I always have. But that's what I see. Sorry MC...

Sui: ...that's beyond awful! How terrible can these things be!? They want to mock the pain of separation and being left behind? I'll never stand for it!
Flamier: Sui, Gorou... yes, these Monsters attach themselves to the weakness in people's hearts. I don't know their intentions, but we cannot leave them be!
Monster: Kekekeke
Sui and Flamier stand battle ready. The Monster flies at Gorou.

Gorou: UGH
MC: Gorou! I'm transforming you!
Gorou avoids the attack. The Monster laughs creepily as it turns around after missing.

Gorou: ...damn, that was close. Thanks MC. I don't see Kame in it anymore. Whatever their plan is...all I wanna do now is obliterate them. MC, can you help me?
MC: ...let's go. / Yeah!
Sui and Flamier nod too.

MC: I don't want you making that face.
Gorou stares at his accordion Parallel Weapon. His eyes are filled with burning indignation and sadness. He closes his eyes, and upon opening them again he looks determined.

Gorou: ...thanks. I don't want to make anyone else go through this. Let's get this over with. Losing Kame once is enough! You'll regret playing with the lives of those who died!
BATTLE START (more happens later)

MC: Gorou, let's do this! VP Charge!
Gorou: I got this! Time to end it with a bang! Construction "High End Construct"!
Gorou stretches out the accordion, firing off waves of light. These waves then power up Sui and Flamier.
Flamier: Oh my! My suit is reacting to Gorou's music!
Sui: And my Parallel Weapon. Is this his new power? Also MC the enemy is running away!
Gorou's light waves cause the Monster's movements to slow down, so it tries to avoid the effects by vanishing.
MC: It hates Gorou's music? Corner it! (sends attack commands to Sui and Flamier on the phone)
Flamier: Yes, I will take care of it! I'll provide backup! Sui, together!
Sui: Right!

Sui jumps up and readies her needle swords, and Flamier throws out fireworks bombs at the fog.
Flamier: Bombs away!
Monster: Meeeep!?
The forest lights up and the fog gets dispersed!

Sui: There you are! Needle Sewing! (sword plants the Monster)
Monster: LOVELYYYY (poof)
MC: Battle over! Everyone okay!?
Gorou: ...
Gorou stares at where the Monster disappeared. He seems fine, but his pupils are shaking.

MC: ... / ...Gorou. / (take his hand)
(C) Gorou is surprised, but slowly grabs back.
Gorou: ...oh, did I worry you? ...thanks.
Gorou feels MC's warmth. It truly is here.

Gorou wipes his eyes and shakes his head a few times.
Gorou: ...feels like I'm finally awake. Did the Monster do this? There was nothing to question now that I think about it...so how did I notice?
Flamier: It's not just you. When my grandfather appeared in front of me, it took me time to make a clear judgment. It happened faster because Sui and MC were with me...
Sui: We did figure out that if the fog sticks around you long enough, it turns darker and forms a shadow. That shadow looks like someone important to us...but it's still a Monster underneath it.
Flamier: Yes. And even though they have no business being here, there are times where we can't correctly understand what's going on.
Gorou: Well that's good enough in figuring things out. Right MC?
MC: Yeah. I'll check if things are Monsters.

Gorou: Awesome! Okay, let's get back to finding that kid. Who knows what'll happen in here? Lilac should be around here too somewhere.
Flamier: Yes, we should focus on finding those two. Let us go! ...oh yes, the Monster came after us when we got separated. What if we held hands and moved forward so we don't get separated again?
Sui: Good idea. We don't have Lilac and his knowledge of this place either...
Gorou: Right. And with us all here, we should be able to notice if a Monster tries the disguise trick again.
MC: Wanna hold hands, Sui? / Let's go Gorou. / Flamier, take my hand.
(A) Sui: O-okay. This feels weird all of a sudden. MC, tell me if something happens. Don't get separated from me.
(B) Gorou: ...oh, me? Alright, I'll lead. I'll keep you safe. Hold me if the ghosts scare you.
(C) Flamier: Oh, thank you. I will be relying on you until we safely leave. If you sense a Monster, please let me know so I can step forward.

The party joins hands and goes forward.
Sui: Hello, anybody? Lilac!
Flamier: Lilac! Please answer us!
Nobody answers, but Gorou's ears pick up on something.

Gorou: ...huh? MC, did you hear that?
Everyone stops moving to listen. MC does hear something.

???: ---
MC: This voice...it's Lilac!
It's coming from beyond the fog, indistinct but his.

MC: That way!
The voice sounds like a low scream.

End of Episode

No comments:

Post a Comment