Sunday, September 11, 2022

Live A Hero Reminiscence of Ghostwoods Episode 5 (Abridged)

Sui: Quick Needle Sewing!
Sui dodges the Monster's attack and practically sews it to the ground.

MC: It's working! Keep it up!
Sui: It's all floaty and and hard to grab, but I can take care of it if it's cloth!
Gorou: Go Sui!
Gorou plays his accordion Parallel Weapon, summoning light covered tin plates to shoot at the enemy.

Monster: EEEEE (struggles)
Sui: Whoa, it's strong! Flamier, Lilac!
Flamier: We're on it! I will save those who have been attacked! Lilac, you attack when I make an opening!
Lilac: Understood!

Flamier runs over to the man caught by the Monster's chains.
Flamier: Wake up! ...oh he's out cold. I should take him to safety immediately. Lilac, I'm going to destroy the tentacle chain! (pulls a bomb out of her skirt and throws it at the chain's other end) Please get down everyone!
Boom

Flamier: Ahh, how beautiful! MC, please handle him!
Lilac: Thank you Flamier! It's weakened now, so I'll cut the main body with my scissors!
Lilac jumps into the air and at the Monster with his giant scissors in hand.

Lilac: Grand Scissor Slash!
Lilac slashes the Monster's core.

Monster: L-L-LOVELYYYY (melts into nothing)

Gorou: Okay, we should be good now. How's the man who was attacked?
Flamier: He doesn't look hurt, though I think he fainted from surprise at being attacked... (looks at MC taking care of the man)
MC: Well he was in danger. I don't think we can talk to him anytime soon.
MC turns off everyone's suits after putting the man down to rest.

Lilac: I just called HQ. A medic team will be coming soon.
Sui: I'm glad we saved him in time. The patrolling we did didn't end up a waste.
Flamier: Yes, and we have a better idea about what that Monster was. Is the first one you saw like that ghost looking one?
MC: Yes. It's creepy...

Gorou: A ghost? Well that's another weird type out there.
Lilac: Yes, but it is undoubtedly a genuine Monster. We have to believe now that there was about to be casualties.
Sui: That man seemed to think the Monster was his wife and approached the fog.
Flamier: He said "I finally found you," so that must be right. He at least seemed to think so...
Sui: The fog was thick, so I couldn't see if the Monster was mimicking her appearance though. Still, it chose to drop the disguise right? Not like how it went for Mom.
Lilac: Yes, it could have just eaten him without dropping the act. Revealing itself could have let him escape...
Gorou: So...its goal wasn't to eat people?
The party thinks on this in confusion.

Sui: ...what are Monsters anyway? I was eaten once, and what I saw didn't feel real...I'm not sure how to put it. Like they're shaped like living things, but I don't get the sense they're alive.
Flamier: That was my impression as well. Even with warp technology, it's difficult to predict when they'll appear. Only Parallel Weapons work against them, and when they go down they leave no trace. It feels more like they're inorganic beings than living ones.
Lilac: If they aren't living beings, why would they come to eat people? Living things eat other things for sustenance, correct?
Flamier: Researchers and investigators have been looking into that with no luck still.
Gorou: I've heard of Monsters eating spaceships and buildings too. Is that something they do on purpose?
MC: Oh yeah, they ate Mt. Fuji too...

Sui: Yes, but they often do attack people. Just now, I think that one was after people with its disguise trick.
Gorou: I've never seen one like it before, but I bet anyone pulled into the fog will disappear like other Monster attacks.
Lilac: Yes, the commonality between all Monsters is that people completely eaten by them disappear from people's memories.
Flamier: That reminds me. Heroes can remember them, but why do people forget? If Monsters aren't eating to survive, what are they eating?
A short silence passes.

Lilac: ...there are so many questions, but what we can do remains the same. Management is temporarily halting the festival and moving civilians and tourists to safety. We should focus on eliminating the Monsters that have appeared and bring back peace.
Gorou: Yeah, let's stop with the thinking and stop any more damage.
Flamier: Yes, we should solve the problems at hand first... it's late now though, so we should probably rest and get ready for tomorrow.
Sui: Right, it might not be over by today, so we should continue investigating tomorrow.|
MC: Agreed. Good work everyone!
The party splits up for the day. Orange petals fly in the wind behind everyone.

Title card: I'm Proud of You

That night, Flamier dreamed of the past.
???: Flamier, where are you?
A gentle voice of someone she loved.

???: Oh there you are. Everyone's been looking for you.
Flamier is in the corner of her grandfather's garden looking through the hedge walls.

Flamier: Grandfather, how did you know I was here? I didn't tell anyone!
Grandfather: How indeed. The servants are looking for you, Flamier.
Flamier: Oh... I'll be there soon.
Flamier comes out of the bushes and checks her clothes for foliage.

Grandfather: One moment, the pie will be ready soon so you don't need to go so quickly.
Flamier: But you and Father are busy, so I can't take too much of your time...
Grandfather: ...oh I see. You were being considerate of me. You needn't worry, I treasure the time we can have together. We can go back after a chat. What were you looking at?

Flamier: ...can you keep it a secret from Father and everyone else?
Grandfather: Of course. Is it something you can't tell them?
Flamier: Well, I can see a plaza through a hole in the wall. (points) During the day, people perform a dance in that plaza. It's so beautiful!
Grandfather: Oh, the practice area for the student dance club? Do you like dancing?
Flamier: Yes! Oh...no, I'm an Astraidam family daughter and my teacher taught me to remember to behave like one. That's still difficult for me...but dancing is good.
Grandfather: Are you talking about your home instructor? You're studying hard. But there's no need to lie to yourself.
Flamier's grandfather smiles kindly as he leads Flamier by the hand.

Grandfather: The Astraidam family's pride should not restrict you. You can just think of it as an unshakeable belief if you're ever in doubt.
Flamier: I don't quite understand...what do you mean?
Flamier's grandfather takes them to his own room.

Grandfather: When you hold back on yourself, I won't be able to see your smile. So can you promise me something?
Flamier's grandfather picks up a box and gives it to her.

Grandfather: Do what you want to do. That is your right and a chance to show yourself. Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. Even if things become difficult, never give up on enjoying things. Let this present be a marker for this lesson. Go ahead and open it.
Flamier hesitantly opens the box. Inside are dancing shoes of champagne gold.

Flamier: Oh my! Are you sure? Thank you very much!
Grandfather: I'm glad you like it. And it turns out I can see your favorite place from my room. I often see how happy and jealous you get when you watch the dancers. That's how I found you.
Flamier: I love dancing! I'll practice to be just as good as them!
Grandfather: Thank you. I'm looking forward to seeing you dance like that... this may be above your head now, but please remember one other thing. I'm sure you'll learn many things as an Astraidam and as a person. Treasure yourself, no matter what sort of person you become...

Present
Sui: Flamier, I'm sorry about how late it is, but are you there?
Flamier: ...o-oh, yes. One moment please.
Later
The rest of the party has gathered outside Flamier's hotel room.

MC: Sorry about the late call. We had a sudden message.
Lilac: I'll explain from here. The flower festival management has been told by a girl that her brother has gone missing. Her name is Celt, and she lives near the festival grounds. Shortly after her report, a boy walking into the forest was confirmed seen.
Sui: ...haven't we heard that name somewh--oh wait, didn't she bump into you today?
MC: Oh, her. The one with the flower berry candy!
Gorou: Apparently thick fog was seen when he went it, so this must be Monster related.
Lilac: Right. At that point in time, Celt still remembered her brother.
Flamier: Meaning he hasn't been eaten yet.
Sui: But that Monster dropped its disguise to attack after it lured someone in. We might not have much time, so we should hurry.
Lilac: Yes, other heroes are investigating but to be honest we're shorthanded.
Flamier: I understand. Let's go.

Later
Lilac: This is the forest entrance. It's easy to get lost even on clear days, so please be careful.
Gorou: And now we have the darkness and the fog to deal with too...
MC: Sui, careful about the mud / Gorou, there's a tree branch there
(A) Sui: Thanks. Footing is so unstable here...
Lilac: If we happen to get lost, you can follow the river out to town.
Sui: Oh, we might need to remember that. Hopefully we won't need to though...
(B) Gorou: It's cool, I'm a carpenter you know? I won't hit my head or any--OW!
Gorou: ...it only happened because I couldn't see it!

The party continues forward.
Sui: ...MC, this forest feels creepy. We should transform now.
Gorou: Yeah I agree.
MC: Alright. Here we go!
Bwoop!
Flamier: I want to suggest splitting up, but splitting our forces would be dangerous. So how about we move in a line?
Lilac: That sounds good. I'll take point and cut any trees in the way.
Gorou: You go with that day job experience!
Lilac: Please stop joking with me. Let's go!
Lilac summons a bunch of floating blades as he moves ahead. The line then goes Gorou, MC, Sui, then Flamier.

Lilac: ...I'm surprised there's so much fog here in the forest.
Gorou: Yeah, we gotta be careful of Monsters jumping out to attack from it.
Lilac: Yes, it's possible the fog itself is a trap. Like maybe only Monsters can sense something in the fog...
Gorou: Then why haven't they shown up yet?
Lilac: Well...maybe random guessing won't help anything.
Gorou: Yeah, true. And--wait.
Gorou comes to a stop.

Lilac: What is it? We should hurry and find the boy.
Gorou: ...yeah, but where's everyone else?

There's fog everywhere but no signs of anyone else around. Something writhes in the forest. Gorou and Lilac's phones blink for a second before their hero suits cancel out.
Lilac: ...I'm sorry. It's my fault we got separated from the others.
Gorou: Nah, it's not...but the fog is dulling my sense of direction. We should be careful, so let's head back.
Lilac: Yes, I've marked the trail we've taken so we should use those to--
Lilac slips on some mud and falls down a slope trying to walk to Gorou.

Lilac: AAAAHH
Gorou: Lilac! Hey, Lilac!
Gorou barely misses catching Lilac's arm.

Gorou: Dammit, it's too slippery to climb down here! I gotta go around!

Elsewhere
MC: ...I'm sorry. It's my fault we got separated from the others.
MC got stuck in some mud and lost sight of Gorou and Lilac in the time to pull themselves out.

Sui: No, I should apologize too for mistaking a tree shadow for them.
Flamier: At least we managed to stay together. Lilac and Gorou may have lost their transformations, so we should regroup quickly.
Sui: Yeah, they might have noticed and stopped to wait for us. And we still have to find that little boy.
Flamier: Yes, let's keep searching for them all. The fog is getting worse, so we need to keep vigilant of the ground and nearby.
The atmosphere is getting creepy.

Sui: Gorou, Lilac! Please answer if you can hear us!
MC: Hey you guys! Anyone there?
Nothing echoes as the party calls.

Flamier: Maybe they're further ahead. We should keep--hm?
Flamier stops. Something writhes in the fog even though there's no wind. The fog darkens and pulses.

MC: ...I sense Monsters. Careful you two.
Flamier: U-understood. But that shadow over there...
What looks like someone tall is faintly walking towards the party. Their appearance gets more distinct as they approach.
Flamier: Grand...father? Why are you here...?
Shadow: ...
Sui: Y-your grandfather? Why would he be here?
MC: It's a Monster disguise! Look out!

Flamier: ...Grandfather...I've wanted to see you. It's been so long...
The fog looks like it's trying to cut Flamier off from the party, and the shadow figure beckons Flamier deeper into the forest. Flamier stumbles along, then turns her head back and smiles.

Flamier: Sui, MC, Grandfather came to help us. We can trust him.
Flamier starts walking into the forest depths again like she's possessed.

MC: ...are her memories fading? / Sui, we have to stop her! / Flamier!
Sui: He's not real! Flamier! (grabs Flamier's arm)
Sui: Flamier, please wait! Your grandfather has no reason to be here! Why do you think that's him?
Flamier: That's true...but he looks and acts just like Grandfather.

Flamier stares blankly at the shadow. Sui squeezes harder and looks right into Flamier's eyes.
Sui: ...Flamier. When I was pulled in by the shadow of my mother, you fought and risked your life to save me. Do you remember that?
Flamier: Yes, I do. I still remember that Monster now...
Sui: I was...eaten by the Monster that pretended to be her.
MC: Sui...
Sui: I was weak then and thought it was fine if I could be with my mother. But I was wrong. That Monster aimed for the weakest part of my heart. They'll stoop to anything to get at us. I...
Sui grabs at her chest.
Sui: I'll never stand for any Monster holding the people we love hostage! Please remember who your grandfather really is, Flamier! Didn't he tell you something!?
Sui looks indignantly at the shadow.

Flamier: What...Grandfather... told me?
Flamier closes her eyes and remembers how he'd always smile gently and speak to her.

"You don't need to lie to yourself."
"Remember it as something unbreakable when you're lost and confused."
"Do what you want. That is your right and a chance to show who you are."
"Enjoy what you do to the fullest. Do not stop enjoying it until the end, even if things are hard."
"Treasure yourself, no matter what sort of person you become."
Flamier: ...Grandfather would gently guide me if I made a mistake. He told me I needn't lie to myself, that I should enjoy what I like to the fullest. And he told me to be someone lovable no matter who I became.
Sui: He sounds lovely. I'd be happy if he supported me in wearing what I'd like and living how I'd want to live too.
Flamier: He is. (squeezes Sui's hand)

Flamier: My grandfather would never instruct me to do something without explanation! I'm okay now, Sui. Thank you for stopping me.
Sui: ...I'm glad I could help. I won't be like I was when my mother's copy called to me.
Flamier: And thank you MC for calling out to me.
Flamier smiles at MC before turning back to the shadow with a serious look.

Flamier: Grandfather always told me to stand with people, not above them. I understood what Sui was saying without blindly accepting it because of those words because that was how Grandfather raised me!
Flamier takes a fighting stance. Her shoes glow, causing the Monster pretending to be her grandfather to make weird noises that sound like bone crunching.

Flamier: ...it seems it tried to manipulate me with the hopes my grandfather was here. But I won't lose!
MC: Here it comes! Get ready you two!
Sui: MC, your orders! I'll destroy it for what it tried to do!
Flamier: ...I'm proud to be my grandfather's granddaughter. In the name of the Astraidam family I, Flamier R. Astraidam, go forth!
BATTLE START

No comments:

Post a Comment