Sunday, June 26, 2022

Chapter 13 Episode 3: Ship of Theseus 3 (Abridged)

Let's have another flashback to Chapter 12!
Maria: The Warmongers are using memories to cause disruptions and recruit people!
Managarm: Yeah, getting paranoid that the people around you will suddenly shank you is HARSH. I know how that feels. But they also show memories of you suddenly killing your friends, and that's no good. Everyone that's happened to gets PTSD and leaves the guild.
Azazel: Yes, they get isolated from their communities.
Ryouta: Azazel! Long time no see.
Maria: You're back safe and sound!
Managarm: Where the HELL have you been!?
Maria: I sent him on an investigation.
Managarm: What?

Azazel: Yes, I've done it. Are you sure you want to remember everything though?
Maria: Yes. I want to know everything from all the past loops.
Managarm: NO DON'T! Did you not listen to what I said about what happened to everyone else!?
Maria: Yes, and that's why I need to know. I can't move forward with just words.
Gabriel: Oh no!
Ryouta: ...
Maria: Ryouta, I need to ask a favor.
Ryouta: Uhh, well if I can help then okay?
Maria: Okay, I'll tell you later. Hanuman?
Hanuman: Wait what you're really talking to me in a serious talk like this!?
Maria: Yes, I have a favor to ask of you too.
Hanuman: Well in that case, I'll do whatever I can!

Present, at Asakusa
Here is where the Asakusa Taoshis are based at, comprised mostly of Umamichi students. Like Kabukicho, they've chosen to remain neutral and isolated from guild matters so they never responded to the Missionaries' attempts to talk before.

Ryouta: So why are they saying they'll talk now?
Gandarva: Well I know your guildmaster, but there's also the part where you've been looking after Prince Hanuman.
Ryouta: Wait, should I be calling you Prince too, Hanuman?
Hanuman: STOOOOP! Gandarva you make him stop too!
Gandarva: I can't treat you so crudely as the wind god Lord Vayu's son...
Hanuman: But I like not being treated so formally!
Ryouta: That's a no then?
Hanuman: Yep!
Gandarva: I'm just an intermediary and introducing you to one of the leaders over there. (points)

Ryouta: Oh look, it's the Raimon gate. The wind and thunder gods protect this place, right?
The two statues next to the Raimon Ryouta is pointing at are of gods who protect the place from storms when prayed to. Their story existed and was passed down since before the walls came up, but for some reason is still told after Transients became a thing.
Ryouta: I feel like I've heard the name of the wind god earlier...
Hanuman: Thunder god? ...no wait, Gandarva did you--!? (shakes like he was hit by lightning)
Ryouta: wait what
Gandarva: So I met the Summoners guildmaster before and their stature reminded me of a thunder god from that one land. But anyways, the king I serve is Hanuman's father, the wind god Vayu. I also serve as musician for a thunder god at the same time, so I also serve the wind and thunder gods here too.
Ryouta: Hanuman, what's going on!? 

Gandarva: Asakusa has been under attack by the true big three guilds too. We and Katsushika have been kicked around by the ones in the East. We still have our divine protection against storm and thunder though, so we're opening our doors. Also there's someone who wants to see Prince Hanuman. Right now we're going to the place that sits on the border of Asakusa and Katsushika, Shibamata Taishakuten.
Ryouta: Huh. So is they guy we're meeting--
(Thunder)
Ryouta: wait what it's clear out today
Gandarva: ...we have to hurry. (glares at approaching thunder noises)

Aoyama Cemetery
Maria: Hmm. Sudden wind today despite it being clear.
Managarm: I've checked the place out and it's clear. I'll keep watch while you go to your meeting.
Maria: Thank you. Here I go!
Managarm: Call me if something happens. (leaves)
Maria: Okay I'm here Jacob.
Jacob: Sorry to call you while you're busy.
Maria: It's fine. You're the true guildmaster after all.
Jacob: ...like I've said repeatedly, I've left the post. I think you're the real guildmaster. You have the determination of steel and the courage to walk the path of thorns. And you want to go forward...even after learning about the past loops.
Maria: Thank you. But I'm still inexperienced and couldn't keep everyone together.
Jacob: I don't think that's true based on how much I've seen Managarm and Gabriel trust in you.
Maria: ...I think somewhere inside me, I believe no one can stop me from walking my path.

Jacob: ...
Maria: But we still need solidarity so that we can protect the weak. That said, things are bad. So many angels have left us. The guild is in chaos without Arslan to give mental support.
Jacob: ...you aren't here to complain, right?
Maria: Of course not. I have things to do, even if I'm the only one left. I will continue to protect the Missionaries and the weak...even if only tragedy awaits me.
Jacob: You're still set on it, aren't you?
Jacob raises his hand to project memories like an evolutionary tree. Maria gets Main Plot Beam'd.

Jacob: My infinite light artifact shows the path to Eden's Tree of Life, the thing that keeps the memories of the many world loops.
Maria keeps watching, and Jacob smiles at this.

The memory playback is over, and Maria has not fallen to despair and isn't looking away from the tragedies.
Jacob: My blind eyes have seen your resolve, Maria. (flips on his phone's voice command)
Jacob: I hereby officially transfer the guildmaster position to Maria.
Transfer complete!
Maria: Jacob...
Jacob: Thank you for all you've done for the guild. I have battles to get to against the greatest obstacles to the Missionaries' ideals. I will stop them even if it's a double KO, so I want to officially leave the guild to you.
Maria: Wait, what? You mean it's not what the memory loop showed of the guild collapsing in the end?
Jacob: There's another true threat besides the sad memories of the compiled loops. I know the class role of the previous holder of my artifact. I am to face off against the angel that awaits the end and controls that threat, just like how Michael and Gabriel are fated to go against each other. I've been training for that day to come.
Dramatic thunder and darkness!

Back to MC's side, the party is running to an emergency shelter.
Shirou: Our safehouse is only a safehouse in terms of app battles, so we should get to somewhere safer for natural disasters!
Kengo: Is there really gonna be heavy rain after how sunny today's been?
MC: Look!
Clouds are expanding from the south.

Kengo: Oh my god! It's coming from the south!
Shirou: ...what? (looks)
Shirou: You guys, those cloud movements look unnatural.
The clouds seem to be coming from Tokyo Bay.

MC: Huh, it's raining...hey wait.

Aoyama Cemetery
Maria: Rain? But the weather report said--
Jacob: Maria, activate your artifact now! Don't let the rain touch you!
Maria: W-what? Okay, let me open the app and--
Jacob: No need! Your artifact, now!
Maria creates some overhead with her thorns.

Maria: ...what? I could use it without the app?
Jacob: The rain has a power attached to it.
Maria: What!? I have to tell Managarm! (texts him)
Israfil: How sad. Ahaha!
Maria and Jacob: !?

Maria: Nobody was around. How could anyone appear so quickly!?
Israfil:
Maria: No wait...it can't be!
Jacob: That voice... so you've been summoned while wearing that Shadow.
Jacob activates his artifact and the light starts drawing an 8.

Jacob: If you are here, then this loop is the Final Judgment.
Maria: Is that true, Israfil!?
Israfil: Oh how sad I am for only having life where death's tragedy is. Sad, sad, sad. That's me, Israfil. The angel who appears at the end of the world with the rain of mercy. 1000 LP for everyone! Let me see your ruin! Hahaha!

Somewhere in Shinjuku again
A raindrop hits Shirou, and he feels something off about it. It feels different from water after careful observation.
Shirou: !
Shirou recognizes the sensation of someone else entering him, just like how Yog Sothoth did.

Shirou: You guys, this rain is a magic attack!
MC: What? A magic attack outside a battle zone!? Wait I remember something like this!
Chapter 8 flashback
MC: (What if it's like back then? Or what if it's different!?)
The rain falls harder.
Shirou: Kengo, get MC away from--
Kengo: Got it! Sorry to be rough but...! (picks up and uses himself as a cover while taking MC to somewhere with a roof)
Kengo: RAAAAGH (throws MC under roof cover without letting them get hit by the rain)

MC: YOU GUYS!
Shirou and Kengo: STAY BACK
Something fills the two of them from the unnatural rain. Shirou wonders if someone put up walls around Shinjuku again.
Shirou: If that's not what's happening...then Tokyo is already...ahhh!!
Rain continues to fall.
Kengo: I'm losing strength...!
Something Warm fills the two as they lose the will to fight. Something Warm being overflowing love.

Shirou and Kengo: AAAAAA

Somewhere else
Wakan Tanka Inf. watches the rain fall from somewhere in the sky. Love for everything fills his eyes. He loves everything equally, and his eyes look empty of emotion.

Wakan Tanka Inf.: I will fill the land with love and wash away the sadness. Remember the first joy. There is no need to fight, to hurt. I am Wakan Tanka, and I have given up everything besides my name at the edge of infinity.
Wakan Tanka Inf. dances like he is offering something to someone, and so the rain continues.

End of episode

No comments:

Post a Comment